Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LeBron reportedly to announce decision during 1 hour ESPN special Thursday night

Default LeBron reportedly to announce decision during 1 hour ESPN special Thursday night

I know a lot of you hate LeBron, but I've never had a problem with him. But this is way over the top in my opinion. Yes, I know he never got to have one of these in high school where he had the hats lined up in front of him. But if he goes through this song and dance and doesn't pick Cleveland, talk about turning the knife.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5359255

Sources: LeBron decision Thursday

ESPN.com news services

LeBron James is planning to announce the team with which he will sign during a one-hour special on ESPN Thursday night, ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard has learned through independent sources.

ESPN would only confirm that active discussions for the special are ongoing. But sources tell Broussard that representatives for James contacted the network, proposing that James makes his announcement during a 9 p.m. ET special.

Those sources said that James' representatives requested they be allowed to sell sponsorship for the one-hour special, with the proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, and that ESPN agreed to the proposal but had not been told what James has decided.

The NBA's most prized free agent opened a Twitter account on Tuesday and posted his first message on the social networking site. While he provided no information about his future plans, at least he offered something as the NBA awaits the decision on where he'll play next.

"Hello World, the Real King James is in the Building," said the tweet on the kingjames feed, which by 9 p.m. ET had more than 167,000 followers.

James' publicist, Keith Estabrook, confirmed the superstar's entrance to Twitter, a place where fellow prized free agents Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh often post details about their public lives off the floor.

James' plans still are a closely guarded secret. He visited with six teams -- the New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago Bulls -- last week at his business offices in downtown Cleveland and may have made up his mind already. But until he gives word, other teams are positioning themselves to make a run at the 6-foot-8, 260-pound All-Star -- or Bosh or Wade, or maybe a combination.

There have been various reports that the Toronto Raptors were working on a sign-and-trade deal with Cleveland for Bosh, and that James is trying to convince him to join the Cavaliers.

Both James and Bosh are aware that such a trade is possible, and James has tried to recruit Bosh to the Cavaliers several times in the past few weeks, sources told Broussard.

But right now, Bosh remains cold to the idea of playing in Cleveland.

Like James, Wade and Bosh have remained noncommittal about where they'll sign.

The Cavaliers are hopeful that will change, because in Cleveland, Bosh can meet two of his top priorities: playing with James, and getting a six-year, $125 million contract.

If Bosh joins a team without doing a sign-and-trade, he will be able to sign only a five-year deal worth $96 million. He is determined not to leave that $29 million on the table, sources told Broussard.

Although Bosh wants to play with James, he wants to do it in Chicago, Miami or New Jersey. Sources told Broussard he has told the Raptors those are the teams he would like to go to in a sign-and-trade.

Unsure of James' decision, the Nets have a Plan B in case he rejects their offer.

The agent for Knicks forward David Lee says the Nets have talked to him several times since free agency began on Thursday.

An official within the league who is very close to the Nets' management team said the team would also consider going after Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer if James rejected the offer that was presented by new owner Mikhail Prokhorov and a team that included hip-hop mogul Jay-Z.

Nets president and general manager Rod Thorn said in a text message on Tuesday that there was nothing to report on the free-agency front.

Asked about the Nets' options if The King nixes their overtures, Thorn wrote:

"We will look at other options if we don't get one of the top guys."

While James is the star attraction in this summer's stacked class of free agents, other players have either stayed home or found a new one. On Monday, Amare Stoudemire agreed to a five-year deal with the Knicks and said he would continue to recruit James to join him.

Information from ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard and The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 07-07-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: LeBron reportedly to announce decision during 1 hour ESPN special Thursday night

This move doesn't seem classy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: LeBron reportedly to announce decision during 1 hour ESPN special Thursday night

I reserved an hour on national television to declare that I am choosing White Castle for lunch.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Are they going to have a bunch of caps on the table and then the one he puts on is the team he's signing with?

Corny.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are they going to have a bunch of caps on the table and then the one he puts on is the team he's signing with?

Corny.
    No, the caps will be blank. They will put a small ping pong ball with a team logo on it, then shuffle the caps around. When they stop shuffling, whichever cap he picks, he goes to that team.

And since it's the LeBron sweepstakes, the losers get a consolation prize:

...they get their hat back.

If he announced right at the beginning and then he discussed his reasoning and the process for an hour in an exclusive interview, that'd be okay. But I have the feeling this is gonna be an American Idol results show that they drag out until the last second. Maybe they can get Ryan Seacrest.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    If he announced right at the beginning and then he discussed his reasoning and the process for an hour in an exclusive interview, that'd be okay. But I have the feeling this is gonna be an American Idol results show that they drag out until the last second. Maybe they can get Ryan Seacrest.
    No, he's joining "So You Think You Can Dance"...with Shaq.

Actually, I've got a better idea. They should have The Bachelor, where they line up Byron Scott, Jay-Z, Mark Cuban, Pat Riley, Donald Sterling, Jerry Reinsdorf, and Donnie in his wheelchair. They could eliminate them in stages, and then have side interviews with a catty Pat Riley mouthing off that he doesn't need LeBron cause he got Bosh, or Reinsdorf speaking whistfully about Jordan and that maybe he's only allowed to have one great love in his life. Jay-Z could cry his eyes out about how LeBron led him on for years and he thought it was true love. It'd be epic!

Ken Berger at CBS agrees that if LeBron bails on Cleveland this way, it instantly turns him into a huge villian. They'd need the WWF guy there to narrate the proceedings.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...;pageContainer

Also, surely this moniker has been used, but I'd never heard it before. Mike Freeman dubs him LeFavre James.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...;pageContainer

Mood

Maybe they'll make a live action/animated movie after this, and put clips of the presser in the movie.

I can see it now...

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

this is just obsurd...unless he found a cure for cancer, he doesn't need to make a 1 hour special...he might be good but last time i checked he still has to win a ring...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, that seems a little over-the-top to me. But, at least all this "where will he go?" noise will be over and maybe the rest of the league can move on with summer.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I never thought I would see an NBA player whose ego exceeded Michael Jordan's.

I was wrong.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I never thought I would see an NBA player whose ego exceeded Michael Jordan's.

I was wrong.

It will be interesting to see if his ego will allow him to re-sign with the Cavs after the booing he rec'd from the fans in the playoffs. I'll be surprised if he does. If he does, it will be due to the extra year and the extra millions he can make. Then in 2-3 years with no ring he'll DEMAND to be traded. James is a great talent, but too much of a prima donna drama queen for my liking. I'd much rather he signed with a WC team and get out of the EC. He just grates on me something terribly.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

LeBron and his people will sell sponsorships of the show, with the money going to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, according to ESPN.
    This will generate a lot of money for a pretty worthwhile charity.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Hey, LeBron:

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

What a dip****.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This will generate a lot of money for a pretty worthwhile charity.
    Agreed. Like it or not, tons of people care. It's been the biggest story of the summer, and rightly so. It might seem over the top, because it is, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as many seem to think.

In my opinion, there are now only two possible options for Lebron. He either stays in Cleveland (what I think will happen) or he goes to Miami and plays with Wade and Bosh. Chicago seems to have been left out in the cold.

Banned

I think he is staying in Cleveland, if he was going to leave to go to Miami he won't be doing it by himself, he would be doing it with the other guys(Wade and Bosh)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think he is staying in Cleveland, if he was going to leave to go to Miami he won't be doing it by himself, he should be doing it with the other guys(Wade and Bosh)
    That's exactly the situation. It's already been reported that Wade and Bosh have agreed to play in Miami.

The only other team with a chance is New York since they at least got Amare, but I don't know if he's that big of a draw for Lebron anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Stilinski View Post
    That's exactly the situation. It's already been reported that Wade and Bosh have agreed to play in Miami.

The only other team with a chance is New York since they at least got Amare, but I don't know if he's that big of a draw for Lebron anyway.
    I would pick Amare over Bosh any day. I still don't understand why all this guys believe that Bosh is the missing piece

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On one hand, signing with another team in a nationally televised spectacle is rubbing it in Cleveland's face pretty badly and is pretty cold.

On the other hand, having a one hour special to merely announce you are re-signing with Cleveland is very boring......

It's going to be very interesting.

If he decides to go to Miami, wonder if he'll drag Wade and Bosh out there with him as a way of saying "Hey NBA, look what you have to deal with now....."
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-07-2010 at 10:38 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Several of my friends up in Chicago are going absolutely nuts right now. The Bulls have to be considered the huuuuuge losers in all of this free agency madness.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Following the Bulls and Knicks Real GM forums throughout all of this has been entertaining.

Banned

the Bulls the Nets and New York are going to be losers