Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers tried go get Peja in June?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers tried go get Peja in June?

According to Peja Stojakovic's agent, the Pacers inquired about Peja for Artest in June, but that was shot down by the Kings.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...11177870c.html

Stojakovic seeks trade
    By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
    Published 4:55 pm PDT Thursday, August 5, 2004
    Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.

[Updated 7:02 p.m.] Three-time all-star small forward Peja Stojakovic believes it is time for a change, and has asked the Kings to trade him.
    Stojakovic, the NBA's second-leading scorer, met with Kings President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie on July 23 and informed him he wanted to be traded.

Stojakovic, who was in Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro, on Thursday at a promotional appearance, refused to explain why he felt he needed to be traded.

"I just think that the team had their chances," said Stojakovic of the Kings, for whom he averaged a career-high 24.2 points per game last season, "and the opportunities are closing. I talked to Geoff. I told him I just think it needs to happen. I just think it would be good for them and for myself, with all due respect. Sacramento is great, but I think I need a change."

Stojakovic's agent, David Bauman, said he knew the Kings would not have a fire sale involving his client, but believed the team could possibly make a deal.

"We know he's got two years left on his contract," said Bauman, who also is in Serbia-Montenegro, of Stojakovic. "But I believe the (Indiana) Pacers inquired about something with Peja and (Ron) Artest in June and that was quickly shot down by the Kings."

Said Stojakovic, "I'm probably one of the easiest players to trade, and I'm willing to go."

Petrie said he would not divulge the specifics of his conversation with Stojakovic. However, the idea of trading the small forward was not high on his list.

"He's probably one of the last guys I'd want to trade," Petrie said. "He's flourished here and the team has done extremely well. He's been a big part of that, too, and I have a lot of respect for the guy.

"It's too speculative to make a prediction about what will happen. It's one of those things where you don't know how it's going to go. I do know I'm going to go on vacation soon for the better part of the rest of the month.

Neither Stojakovic nor Bauman attributed this trade request to comments made after the season by Kings power forward Chris Webber.

"He's not requesting a trade because of anything Chris Webber did or said," Bauman said. "He has no problem with the Maloofs, Geoff, Rick Adelman or anybody there. This has a lot to do with (veteran center) Vlade (Divac) being gone."

Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said he had no interest in trading Stojakovic, who was drafted by Petrie in 1996 while playing in Greece and eventually came to Sacramento in 1998. Maloof did indicate he was concerned by his player's request.

"Oh, of course," Maloof said. "Anytime you have your best player, one of your best players who is asking for a trade, you're concerned. We want to get this back on a positive track. We want to talk to Peja and get this straightened out. We want to get him to understand that we've still got unfinished business here. We're not interested at all in trading him. That's the furthest thing from our minds."

For more information, see Friday's Bee.

Default Re: Pacers tried go get Peja in June?

Even if we did (I don't know), Peja asking for a trade changes things considerably.

This makes my suspiscions deeper that we are just waiting for the right deal to trade Artest, I don't think management trusts Artest.

If Sac feels forced to trade Peja, Artest would be a perfect player to trade for him becasue the salaries would be easy to swap, the kings probably wouldnt want to pack Peja and other players for a large contract player.

When the right deal comes along for Artest, I think he is gone.

I agree.

I agree with PacerMan - they were picking one, Al or Ron... and what we got for each dictated which one would be dealt.

If Ron gets traded, I will be shocked. I would rather have Ron than Peja - Peja is not clutch, in fact, he is horrid in the playoffs.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Ron gets traded, I will be shocked. I would rather have Ron than Peja - Peja is not clutch, in fact, he is horrid in the playoffs.
    If Ron doesn't get traded I won't be shocked, but I will be very surprised. If Walsh and Bird can swing a deal with the Kings for Peja, Ron is gone.

Bulletproof, I agree. I dont think the Pacers are desperately trying to get rid of Artest, but if a deal like Peja comes, Ron is gone.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Assuming the trade was considered to begin with, I don't think the Pacers make another trade until Dampier is off the table.

They are not going to give up Artest, then find out they could have gotten Dampier and Robinson for Bender and Pollard (for example).

If we can't get a couple of additional bangers up front, I don't think the Pacers will sacrifice a physical player like Artest for Peja, especially after giving up Al.

That just doesn't make sense.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    I agree with PacerMan - they were picking one, Al or Ron... and what we got for each dictated which one would be dealt.

I agree.

If we traded Ron now after trading Al, we would have no post up game at all, besides JO. The only way I would have seen us trading Ron was if we had kept AL.

Getting rid of Ron and Al for Jackson & Peja makes no sense. We'd just be getting rid of one weakness and replacing it with another.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

100% Aggree! I don't think I would like to watch our team becoming some sort of 3pt shooting team with the only threat down low coming from JO, actually I would HATE (yes, CAPITAL letters!!!!!) THAT!!!

Peja is offense only, his D isnt as desperate as some seem to think, BUT he doesnt go inside nearly as much as we would need. Our SG and PG should space the floor with long range shots, with some shots from the SF aswell. With this line up it gets unbalanced IMO with regards to the sort of shots we would take. Further, Artest is a defensive demon and you can count on Sacramento to want more from us, which I would find TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE if they would get anything more than a future 2nd rounder or say a resigned Brewer ().

Im very afraid of this deal even more when I remember an interview from I think the Sacramento Bee with Bird who basically describes Peja as virtually "mr. perfect".

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

you know, if we ended up trading ron for peja, we'd look a lot more like the 2000 team than the isiah teams. is that what this is about?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well People might disagree with me but Trading for a Center isn't a major change Depending on who we get and what we give , now if you don't get a Center and You Do a Ron/Peja Deal , to me that's a major shakeup in your Team. Let's be Objective here folks The HEAT had us Reeling and Choking in Round 2 and Without Ron Stepping up or being the presence that he was would we have Even gotten Past Round 2 ? Well We won't know the True answer to that but I personally think , we would have not made it. Yes Ron Made some Mistakes in the ECF but he wasn't the Sole Reason we Lost the ECF and I wish people would get that through there Skulls and realize it , there were Alot of Deciding Factors on Why we Lost the ECF and It just wasn't Ron Artest alone !!!

Sorry it's just really disturbing through out the season I never heard too many complaints about Artest and now People wanna shuffle him off to the Gallos for some Mistakes , Humans make Mistakes and Last I checked NBA Players do make Mistakes, Ron said he was gonna get better and I have no doubt in my mind he will be better this next season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    Well People might disagree with me but Trading for a Center isn't a major change Depending on who we get and what we give , now if you don't get a Center and You Do a Ron/Peja Deal , to me that's a major shakeup in your Team. Let's be Objective here folks The HEAT had us Reeling and Choking in Round 2 and Without Ron Stepping up or being the presence that he was would we have Even gotten Past Round 2 ? Well We won't know the True answer to that but I personally think , we would have not made it. Yes Ron Made some Mistakes in the ECF but he wasn't the Sole Reason we Lost the ECF and I wish people would get that through there Skulls and realize it , there were Alot of Deciding Factors on Why we Lost the ECF and It just wasn't Ron Artest alone !!!

Sorry it's just really disturbing through out the season I never heard too many complaints about Artest and now People wanna shuffle him off to the Gallos for some Mistakes , Humans make Mistakes and Last I checked NBA Players do make Mistakes, Ron said he was gonna get better and I have no doubt in my mind he will be better this next season.
    Ibidem! He also said he would improve his on-court behavior and become more of a threat on offense at the end of last years season, I think he kept his promiss pretty well. The guy also is STILL young and could grow further, no, is more than likely too.

Regards,

Mourning
    [edit=198=1091868237][/edit]

So you think Ron could grow and improve, but Peja can't and is stuck in stone. Riiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    So you think Ron could grow and improve, but Peja can't and is stuck in stone. Riiiiight.
    Peja's 27. He's in his prime. I think what you see is what you

So you'd disagree with the statement that Ron has more room to improve than Peja?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Ron can improve, sure.

But I believe Peja might as well because of the fact that he's only played for one coach/team Adelman and the Kings. A team that doesn't preach defense or physical play.

I think once you get Peja in here working with Rick, Mike, and Kevin, they'll get him to play better D (see Tinsley) and maybe even toughen him up some.

Beyond that, I know Bird really likes him, and since they were similar players (big SFs who could nail you from 3) he could do very well in tutoring Peja to expand his game (think more rebounding and passing).

I think our staff will make him a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Pretty much, yes. Maybe, Peja could improve, but it would be only marginally IMO as he is already in his prime. Ron on the other hand is only 24, so he hasn't even entered his prime yet.
    IF you can't see the difference ...

Also I SERIOUSLY doubt Peja would be able to manage the same or better figures to what he has done in SacTown the last year. He played in a system that was a perfect fit for him, fast, fluid, limited defense, picture perfect passing. Indy plays quite a different system, which I think wont get him say 22-23 PPG at the end of the season (not even talking about the play-offs here) or higher as he has averaged in SacTown. IF that is true, which I believe, do you REALLY want to sacrifice your one player that can on a very, very regular basis shut down the opponents ace from the perimeter and the wings, who btw also manages 18+ PPG during last season and is an intimidating presence?
    And for the record I dont believe Freddie will be able to do that or Jackson for that matter. They can both defend decently and a little above, but that's about it. Also where do you think Freddie is going to get his playing time from?
    Are you not afraid of attrition wearing down JO even more, because I sure would knowing our SF is waiting for the ball on the perimeter aswell, while our PF/C supporting JO in the paint, Foster, is known for his fighting spirit, rebounding and defense, BUT NOT his offense. I think teams would still double JO, but leave Jeff more open.
    So, we bring in Croshere, Cool, than we have 4 (!!!) shooting from the perimeter.

Regards,

Mourning

Plus, there's always the chance he'd pull a Pollard on us, too.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Wasn't Peja a MIP candidate not long ago? Seems I've heard about him improving his all-around game pretty much every year, not unlike Ron.

Plus he has a beard and a funny accent. What's not to like?
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I will remind you of that when we get blasted by the Kobes and T-Macs of this world later in the season.

Seriously, I like Peja, I really do, but I dont like the balance of our team if he were to play in Indy.

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Seriously, I like Peja, I really do, but I dont like the balance of our team if he were to play in Indy.
    Oh, no question. I like Peja a lot. But not in a trade for Ron Artest.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peja will never play better than he did last season, IMO.

Ron will get better over the next several years, again IMO.

Ron's 2 1/2 years younger.

Ron for Peja
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    f we traded Ron now after trading Al, we would have no post up game at all, besides JO.
    I like how you added the "besides JO" as an afterthought. That's still more post up game than most of the teams in the league. He's damn good. I think some people think Ron's more important than JO. He's not. JO is the soul of the team and he sets the pace. Part of our good team defense is the mindset that he has and that the rest of the Pacers follow.

Default Who knows? This is just me speculating.

A thought: What happens if Jermaine goes down in the preseason or early into the season? Without Artest, would the Pacers be more than an average team?

Fact is, perhaps Ron should stick around because if Jermaine gets injured for a long period of time, the Pacers will need a guy like him.

If Jermaine goes down, I don't care who we have a SF, we're ****ed. That's just a given no matter what.