Thread: Pacers Rookie Watch: Stephenson, Rolle & George made Top-10 List

Default Pacers Rookie Watch: Stephenson, Rolle & George made Top-10 List

Wow!

I don't know how long Summer League games have been going on, but this is the first time I've ever seen any of our rookie players make the list in the three years I've watched Summer League action and I have to say I'm impressed!

Granted, it's only one game against other rookies/sophomores, but for all three of our draft picks to make the list you have to feel pretty darn proud of that. What really caught my attention was our 2 second-round pick, Stephenson, not only ranked #1, but was ranked above atleast three top-10 draft picks not named Paul George:

Lance Stephenson - drafted #40, rookie rank #1
    Derrick Favors - drafted #3, rookie rank #3
    Evan Turner - drafted #2, rookie rank #4
    Gordan Hayward - drafted #9, rookie rank #5
    Magnum Rolle - drafted #51 , rookie rank #6
    Paul George - drafted #10, rookie rank #8

I'm very much impressed. Hope he along with our other draft picks can keep it up.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 07-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers Rookie Watch: Stephenson, Rolle & George made Top-10 List

Hellava draft by LB and Morway. All three of our draft picks deserved to be mentioned and they each stood out amongst their peers in their first Summer League game debut. Lance will be special and may STEAL the Rookie of the Year award from Blake Griffin and others if he's allowed to play by Obie this year (and stays away from the injury bug)!!!

It is early, but it would be nice if we had some of our rookies play in the Rookie sophmore game.

pacers74,

Now that I think about it, I don't recall the Pacers ever having a rookie play in the Rookie/Sophomore game. Of course, it's a fairly new event to the All-Star festivities. Still, it would be nice to see one of our youngsters get that kind of recognition...if JOB finally steps out of his veteran player comfort zone and does as he claims he does - put the best and most deserving players on the floor whether they're veterans or rookies.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    pacers74,

Now that I think about it, I don't recall the Pacers ever having a rookie play in the Rookie/Sophomore game. Of course, it's a fairly new event to the All-Star festivities. Still, it would be nice to see one of our youngsters get that kind of recognition...if JOB finally steps out of his veteran player comfort zone and does as he claims he does - put the best and most deserving players on the floor whether they're veterans or rookies.
    I think A. Davis and Danny Granger have... those are the ones I can remember...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Pacers ties to the rookie/sophomore game:

Danny Granger (both years)
    Sarunas Jasikevicius
    TJ Ford
    Luther Head
    Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    Jamaal Tinsley (both years)
    Troy Murphy
    Stephen Jackson
    Antonio Davis

Players in bold were Pacers during the game.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:

It's still way early, but I am quite pleased with our rookies' performances. It might be a good idea to lock up the second round with lengthy and cheap contracts. It would be crazy if we ended up with first or near first round caliber talent with all three picks. I'm liking what I'm seeing from all 3 of these guys. George is supposedly not quite 100% right now and said he was nervous; I think he's going to perform much better after he's had a bit of time to adjust, although what he's done so far is nothing to be disappointed about. The main issue for him was shooting, and we already know he's an excellent shooter normally.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The list seems kind of bizarre. I mean Gordon Hayward scores 8 points and is ranked number 5? Is the class that weak? What am I missing? Luke Harangody should be up there somewhere, he had a big game the other night.

Yea, I have been wanting to get some one in the game for the past few years. I thought Hibbert had a chance, but B.Lopez and Marc Gasol were the centers this year.

I thought Luke Harangody was ranked at #2. I'll have to go look to find it again.

-------

And here it is: http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/
    Last edited by Reeder; 07-06-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added source
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    The list seems kind of bizarre. I mean Gordon Hayward scores 8 points and is ranked number 5? Is the class that weak? What am I missing? Luke Harangody should be up there somewhere, he had a big game the other night.
    This is not a list for the whole rookie class. This is just from day 1 in Orlando.

Interesting thing is that page has links to post game interviews. I did not know that Lance Stephenson chose 33 in college because of... Larry Bird.
    Last edited by maragin; 07-06-2010 at 05:23 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Follow the link in the first post... (The blue letters the are underlined)

The full list/ article is there and Harangody is at #2 right now.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Hey, I'm under the arrow drewdawg's Avatar

Default NBA.com Rookie Ladder (SL ratings). 3 Pacers in top 5

http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Day 3 from Orlando: Nets' James breaks out

The Nets may have found a sleeper late in the first round.

Damion James exploded for 30 points to lead the Nets to a 94-91 win over the Magic on Wednesday. James was 9-for-18 from the floor and opened eyes with his ability to knock down the outside jumper (he was 3-for-5 on 3-pointers).
    James, taken by the Hawks with the 24th pick before being traded to New Jersey on draft night, is grabbing attention with his Summer League performance.

"I was disappointed where I got drafted, but I'm in a great situation where I can come in and play," James told NBA TV on Wednesday's win. "I'm just trying to prove to everybody I'm a legit player."

So far, so good, Damion.

Last Updated Jul 7 2010 11:41PM
    Lance Stephenson :: Indiana Pacers

Stephenson regains the top spot after a third stellar outing in Orlando. Stephenson had 19 points and seven rebounds Wednesday in the Pacers' 83-74 loss to the Jazz. Stephenson is now averaging 19.0 points through three games and continues to impress. Larry Bird is smiling big right now.
    -- July 7, 10:29 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

Lance Stephenson talks about his superb debut.

Check out Lance Stephenson's 2010 Draft prospect profile.

Check out highlights from Lance Stephenson's debut with Indy.

Click for Lance Stephenson video

Damion James :: New Jersey Nets

For the second straight day, James stole the show in Orlando. James set a Summer League season-high 30 points to lift the Nets to a 94-91 win over the Magic. James, a Draft day trade acquisition from the Hawks, is looking like a potential contributor for the Nets this season.
    -- July 7, 10:47 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

Paul George :: Indiana Pacers

George looked very comfortable in his third game in Orlando. The rookie out of Fresno State had 15 points, nine rebounds and three assists in the Pacers' 83-74 win over the Jazz. George was energetic and active on both ends of the floor and seemed to click with Stephenson.
    -- July 7, 9:38 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

Paul George gets the steal and throws down the reverse slam.

Click to watch Paul George video

Luke Harangody :: Boston Celtics

Harangody drops in the third day, mostly because of the players above him excelling. Harangody had another solid outing Wednesday, scoring 12 points on 5-for-9 shooting in the Celtics' 92-71 win over the Bobcats.
    -- July 7, 10:19 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

Luke Harangody knocks down a jumper in his debut.

Check out highlights from OKC's win over Boston.

Luke Harangody talks to the NBA TV crew after his Celtics debut.

Click for Luke Harangody video

Magnum Rolle :: Indiana Pacers

Rolle has been a revelation for the Pacers. Stephenson and George are grabbing the headlines, but Rolle had another solid game Wednesday. The Louisiana Tech forward (who played a season at LSU) had 10 points, eight rebounds and four blocks in the Pacers' 83-74 win.
    -- July 7, 10:40 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

July 6: Rolle throws down a vicious dunk over Terrence Williams.

Click for Magnum Rolle videos

Evan Turner :: Philadelphia 76ers

Turner drops two spots from Tuesday after another subpar game. Turner was 1-for-6 from the floor for just four points in the Sixers' 89-80 loss to the Thunder. He did have eight rebounds, but it was another forgettable game for Turner.
    -- July 7, 10:32 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

July 6: Turner gets the steal and finishes on the other end.

Kevin Durant talks to Evan Turner and John Wall at the Draft.

Check out highlights of Evan Turner in action at Ohio State.

Evan Turner meets the media in Philly after being taken No. 2 overall.

NBA TV breaks down the Sixers' pick of Evan Turner.

Go behind the scenes as Evan Turner arrives in Philly for his introduction.

Click for Evan Turner videos

Gordon Hayward :: Utah Jazz

Hayward drops four spots Wednesday after a 1-for-5 shooting night in Utah's 83-74 loss to the Pacers. His only made bucket came on a nice steal that led to a breakaway dunk and-one.
    -- July 7, 10:29 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

July 6: Hayward talks about his second game with the Jazz.

July 5: Hayward talks to NBA TV after his Summer League debut.

Gordon Hayward sits down with Alema Harrington after being introduced in SLC

Craig Sager interviews Gordon Hayward after being selected by Utah.

NBA TV crew breaks down the selection of Gordon Hayward by the Utah Jazz.

Click for Gordon Hayward videos

Derrick Favors :: New Jersey Nets

Favors was once again in a foul mood Wednesday, with more fouls (seven) than points (four) in the Nets' 94-91 win over Orlando. Favors had five rebounds, but was overshadowed by teammate Damion James. Summer Leagues tend to favor guards, but Favors needs to work harder to create his own shot.
    -- July 7, 10:35 p.m. ET

Video & Analysis

Craig Sager sits down with Derrick Favors on Draft night.

Go behind the scenes with Derrick Favors on Draft night.

Derrick Favors and Evan Turner talk to NBA TV after their debuts.

Click for Derrick Favors videos

Matt Janning :: Boston Celtics

NR

This may be the only time Janning makes the Rookie Ladder, so I've got to give him his props while I can. Janning, who played his college ball at Northeastern, had 20 points and eight rebounds in the Celtics' 92-71 rout of the Bobcats on Wednesday. Janning was 8-for-15 from the floor and 2-for-4 on 3-pointers to lead the Celtics. "I'm deceptive," Janning told OrlandoMagic.com about his versatility. "I could play point guard, the two or the three. After a game like this, I want this trip to keep going."
    -- July 7, 10:49 p.m. ET
    Celtics-Bobcats highlights

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewdawg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NBA.com Rookie Ladder (SL ratings). 3 Pacers in top 5

This is the worst top 10 list. How did Turner and Favour make it? They've been playing so bad so far.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

so Stephenson losses to the Jazz but Rolle and George win?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no "u" in Favors.

Wait, what? Did I hear Lance say in his interview with DScott that he wore #33 in college because of Larry Bird? Weird...

Hey, mods!?! Can we combine this thread with the one I started on the same topic earlier?

(See thread here)

Would make following the progress of the Orlando Summer League rookie prospects (specifically our rookies) easier to follow.

Thanks!