Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith (could be our PF)

Default Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith (could be our PF)

We are in need of a PF and a PG.

What do you guys think of Josh Smith?

He's athletic, plays great defense, and can finish around the rim. He would be a perfect fit with Hibbert.

The Hawks have recently been exploring the possibility of trading power forward Josh Smith as part of their summertime makeover, according to sources around the league.
    Source:http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/05/s...-join-johnson/

Default Re: Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith (could be our PF)

Not to fond of these small PF. I think Josh is a great player, but I just dont like him as a PF, I'd much rather keep him at SF. He kind of reminds me of Lewis playing PF in Orlando. I'd much rather have a 'real' PF like Horford, Bosh, Jefferson, Gasol, etc.

I like having a team with size. Though Smith is 6'9"ish, he still pretty undersized for a PF, he doesnt have the mass
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even if we really wanted him, we don't have anything that could get him.

Plus he'd shoot 600+ threes next season for us. Which isn't a good thing.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Undersized but extremely athletic, defensive. Can run the floor and finish...... One concern he takes bad shots sometimes (3's)....With our staff preaching 3's it might not work out well. But I'd take him in a heartbeat.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

His numbers were really solid last year. 15.7 pts on 50.7% shooting (only took 7 threes, missing all), 8.7 rbs, 4.2 asst, 1.6 stl, 2.1 blk, 2.47 to.

He's almost the perfect player to pair with Roy. I thought he should've won defensive player of the year in '08-'09.

If the trade was based solely on talent I'd be glad to trade Troy Murphy for him. But he'd definitely be a risk with his attitude and temper.

Love Josh Smith, we are a playoff team with him!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plus he'd shoot 600+ threes next season for us. Which isn't a good thing.
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_s...eer_stats.html

I remember before last season he said he wasn't going to focus on shooting 3 points last season. That stuck out to me because you hardly ever hear a player say that.

A part of me would love to have him. He is a good player, seems to have matured, and contract is not awful. Actually short.

However I don't see how the Pacers have the pieces to get him. At least me, I wouldn't offer up much besides Murphy and Rush for him.

Also I worry that Jim would have him shooting a lot of 3s which would be dumb. Add that to the fact that I have doubts that Josh should be playing the 4. Look at back at the NBA Finals. You have to be able to play in the paint and to do that on a nightly basis you need size. It's like controling the line of scrimmage in football. I just don't think Josh can help the Pacers in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Not to fond of these small PF. I think Josh is a great player, but I just dont like him as a PF, I'd much rather keep him at SF. He kind of reminds me of Lewis playing PF in Orlando. I'd much rather have a 'real' PF like Horford, Bosh, Jefferson, Gasol, etc.

I like having a team with size. Though Smith is 6'9"ish, he still pretty undersized for a PF, he doesnt have the mass
    6'9 is not undersized with his vertical. that fact is that smith is SO athletic is why people dont see him as a PF. He averaged 15ppg, 8.7rpg and 4.2apg. Thats solid play from a PF.

And for those who think that Smith just jacks up 3s. take a look at his stats. Last year he took 7 threes yes 7 im not leaving off a 0. He went of 0-7 last year from 3. I think his coaches finally got him to play to his strengths. I think this would be a great addition to the Pacers given he also averaged 2bpg. He is big, athletic and runs very well and the pacers love to run. He would be an instant play maker at the defensive end.
    Last edited by Pacers2012; 07-05-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Josh Smith also can pass the ball which will be great for our system!

How is he undersized if anything gasol and them are oversized haha jk.... Ask Murphy how all that height he has on smith helps him on the defensive end.... We would be getting one of the best defensive players in the game. He would improve our interior defense on his presence alone. Add in the fact that almost everytime he gets interviewed he talks about the importance of defense to win or get better...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need to address the PG issue first, much the more important issue.

Banned

this guy was soooo close to playing for IU, I really wish he did. I really really wish he was a Pacer. He has an attitude I dont care much for, but he would immediately be my favorite Pacer.

Even if he does leave ATL, I see him replacing a big name from a big market. He's just way too talented and the Pacers have no one to offer outside of Granger(who they dont need).

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    We need to address the PG issue first, much the more important issue.
    That was addressed earlier today, starting at about 3:10 pm.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In today's NBA, he's not really a small PF. I don't understand that you want to "keep him at SF"...he's played PF since he got to the NBA. Atlanta started Horford at C (Zaza before him), J-Smoove at PF, and Marvin Williams at SF. He almost never played SF.

On paper, Smith looks like a great addition to our team. Super athletic, good defender, and his active defense can hide of some Roy's slow-footedness. I worried that he might dog it after he got paid, but he was a borderline All-Star last year. He does seem to have a bit of an attitude problem, and in this system I'd worry that he would rekindle his ill-fated love for the three point shot.

I don't know what it would take to get him, my guess is actually not as much as people around here think. I think an expiring+2nd round pick+maybe McRoberts would be in the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    6'9 is not undersized with his vertical. that fact is that smith is SO athletic is why people dont see him as a PF. He averaged 15ppg, 8.7rpg and 4.2apg. Thats solid play from a PF.

And for those who think that Smith just jacks up 3s. take a look at his stats. Last year he took 7 threes yes 7 im not leaving off a 0. He went of 0-7 last year from 3. I think his coaches finally got him to play to his strengths. I think this would be a great addition to the Pacers given he also averaged 2bpg. He is big, athletic and runs very well and the pacers love to run. He would be an instant play maker at the defensive end.
    Hes undersized by his mass. He doesnt have the size
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

I think that Atlanta is going to trade him for a Center to move Horford to his natural position and at the same time get enough cap space to resign him(Al)

I would take him for Murphy in a heartbeat

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

I don't know what it would take to get him, my guess is actually not as much as people around here think. I think an expiring+2nd round pick+maybe McRoberts would be in the ballpark.
    this is all you think it would take to land one of the premier PF's in the East?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gopacers1179 View Post
    this is all you think it would take to land one of the premier PF's in the East?
    Eh, probably not. But I don't think they are going to be able to get a great deal for him if they trade him. There's a reason he didn't go to the All-Star game last year, even though he was very deserving of the honor: He has a reputation as being hard to coach, and his sideline tirades at Mike Woodson were well documented. His attitude and contract drag his value down.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think that Atlanta is going to trade him for a Center to move Horford to his natural position and at the same time get enough cap space to resign him(Al)

I would take him for Murphy in a heartbeat
    They're likely going to sign Shaq to play center.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    They're likely going to sign Shaq to play center.
    how you know? any link?

I don't see a guy like Shaq signing with a team like the Hawks, I am thinking that Shaq is going to SA reason why he nevers talks crap about Duncan.

Mood

I would love it if we could land Josh Smith somehow. It is crazy that we consider 6'9" as undersized, especially with the hops that this kid has. I don't know what Atlanta would want from us. If they want cap room we could offer a lot to them. If they want talent I doubt we could give them what they want if we exclude Danny and Roy.

Shaq is a perfect fit for Atlanta. He solves their center issues and allows Horford to move over to PF.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal is seriously considering a two-year deal with the Hawks that starts at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million, according to NBA sources close to both the team and the future Hall of Fame player.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    how you know? any link?

I don't see a guy like Shaq signing with a team like the Hawks, I am thinking that Shaq is going to SA reason why he nevers talks crap about Duncan.
    http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/05/s...-join-johnson/

ORLANDO – The re-signing of Joe Johnson might not be the only big splash the Atlanta Hawks make this summer.

Free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal is seriously considering a two-year deal with the Hawks that starts at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million, according to NBA sources close to both the team and the future Hall of Fame player.

O'Neal, whose past season in Cleveland with LeBron James ended in disappointment, has been working out the past two weeks in Orlando, where he makes his offseason home.

Johnson, over the weekend, agreed to sign with the Hawks for the six-year, $119 million maximum allowable contract with the Hawks. Free-agent signings can't begin until July 8. Johnson was told by management that the Hawks intended to make significant changes to their roster, including the possible addition of O'Neal.

"I think he wants to see how everything shakes out with all the free agents, but he's seriously considering Atlanta's offer,'' said the source who asked that his name not be used. "He wants to play two more years, and he wants it to be with a contender. He thinks he can help them become a serious one.''

The Hawks, who lost in the second round of the playoffs for the second consecutive year, have a glaring need for a bigger, stronger center with a low-post game. They have been using undersized Al Horford, who could slide smoothly to power forward to make room for O'Neal.

The Hawks have recently been exploring the possibility of trading power forward Josh Smith as part of their summertime makeover, according to sources around the league.

O'Neal, 38, played 53 games for the Cavs last season, averaging 12 points and 6.7 rebounds in 23.4 minutes. Although he isn't the force he once was, he could solidify Atlanta defensively.

The Cavaliers traded for him last summer, believing he could be their answer to rival Orlando and Dwight Howard, but they never reached that matchup after losing to Boston.

The Hawks are thinking along the same lines after being swept by the Magic in the second round this spring. They had no answer for Howard around the basket, something that O'Neal still could provide. They also could use O'Neal's star appeal to help create some much needed interest in the franchise.

Although the Hawks looked awful against the Magic, they had won 53 games during the regular season, their fifth consecutive season of improving their victory total. Much of the blame for the loss fell on the shoulders of Johnson and Smith, their two most talented players, and coach Mike Woodson, who was fired.

O'Neal made $20 million last season in Cleveland – the final year of a long-term contract -- but he knows that his value has dropped dramatically, and he probably won't be offered anything more than the mid-level.

"He wants to make sure he finishes with a contender, and in a city he likes,'' said the source.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Hes undersized by his mass. He doesnt have the size
    so that would make antawn jamison a SF too then. i mean he is 6'9 and weighs 5pounds less then josh. that also includes carlos boozer who is 6'9 an weighs a little more then josh. It doesn't always matter how much you weigh or your mass. It how you move in the paint and posistion yourself. only guys like shaq can move you out of the way by weighing less then them.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

...and Antawn Jamison can't defend his position, either.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: