Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    'Cause I just don't get it.

    I'm specifically thinking about young PGs, here. Supposedly we're offering several 1-year deals to developing players with potential. That seems stupid.

    A 3-year, ~$10mil deal gives us Bird rights. It lets us hold on to a player if we think they're going to be solid.

    If they play well on a 1-year deal, they'll raise their stock and we won't be able to keep them. If they're not good we're not on the hook for their future salary, but it's not like ~3mil is a major drain on our cap anyway, and those guys wouldn't be hard to trade.

    More importantly, a 3-year deal says to a guy "We think you've got potential to be part of what we're building here" while a 1-year deal says the opposite. Even if the money is the same (or better), most players would rather take the affirmation of being considered part of the core.

    Thoughts?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,624

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    'cause we need a body for a year (and both parties are OK with it).
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Because they don't think anyone's a good long term fit?

  5. #4
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,403
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    It is all about buying time until we find the answer. We Longer deals have killed us with Ford and Tinsley at PG, and rightly or wrongly the thought of locking up someone who may flame out like that scares the front office.

    That said, do you really see anyone out there that could potentially be worth a three year 10 million dollar deal? To be worth that or more they would have to have real potential to be the long term answer at the position.

  6. #5

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Pacers simply are not looking to tie up money for long-term as they want to utilize cap space next summer.

    Pacers will let the dominos fall with Wade, LBJ, Amare, Bosh, etc. and will look to sign a player for fairly cheap as a patch/band-aid for one year until Murph, Dunleavy, Tinsley, Ford, Foster, etc. all come off the cap.

    Does it send out a message to a player that they may not be a part of the Pacers' long-term future? Absolutely, but for some players, when faced with the choice of playing for the Pacers, going overseas or not playing at all, will usually opt to play for the blue and gold.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    I think is because they feel that neither one of the free agent point guards are the answer, Felton, Farmar and Livingston are not the answer long term.

  9. #7
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers simply are not looking to tie up money for long-term as they want to utilize cap space next summer.
    Yeah, I was waiting for somebody to say that.

    By "utilize cap space" do you mean "pursue free agents" or "make lopsided trades?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  10. #8

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    It's easier to sell the team with less payroll.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's easier to sell the team with less payroll.
    Haven't seen you around forever and you come up with that one liner. I say nominate him for most efficient Darksider.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  13. #10
    The Dude Abides MrSparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,371

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    If a player shows great potential the Pacers could afford a max contract if need be next offseason. There's no worry about not being able to keep them financially. Although, it may get more expensive than it should.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

  14. #11
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    A one or two year contract with a team option might make things a little better.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  15. #12

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A one or two year contract with a team option might make things a little better.
    That makes some sense. A one year contract with no team option is just plain stupid. If the player turns out to be special, you've just set yourself up for a big time, long term contract. If not, you can let him go. The team should control any options here.

    I can't believe the Pacers would allow themselves to be put in such a situation. If you sign a player like Farmar, get the best deal for the team you can. He wants to be a starter; you give him the chance, but he's got to give the team an option as the price. One year, two year contract with an option. Its the only way they should go.

  16. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,005

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    There are 15 million and 1 reasons. The $15 million to run the Fieldhouse, and the new CBA. Really at this point if you are going to seriously be competing for the championship in the next year or 2 and/or aren't a big market team it is idiotic to sign a FA to more than a 1 year deal. Most teams are losing money like it is their job, and with the new CBA they will most likely be able to get high end FA for less in the future so they don't want to tie up money with players who most likely aren't a long term fix.

    I agree a 2 year contracts with the second being a team option makes since, but at the same time the team may include those kind of contracts within the 1 year contract and just didn't say it properly.

  17. #14
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,169

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Yeah I think it's quite dumb as well. Of course you want cap flexibility, but you have to be a team someone wants to play for... in both aspects. No one wants insecurity and a 1 year deal unless it's a playoff type team. And as shown this summer, players want to get paid, AND win. The only time that's not the case is if they get MAX contracts from the teams they've been with.

    Who wants to play for a team that has missed the playoffs 4 straight years? You've struck out in the PG filled draft last year (though I still love the Hansbrough pick) You struck out at the trade deadline last year. You struck with draft trade scenarios this year. (I like Paul George selection) and then you have a young PG with not only playoff experience but championship experience who actually would like to play for you and prove he's a starting PG and you low ball offer him?

    It must be b/c the FA class next year is stacked with PGs

    I mean you can offer an almost journeyman backup defensive minded wing player 4 years 11 million dollar contract. A journeyman backup PG a 1 year 2.8 million dollar contract, hell even end of the bench Solomon Jones got a multi-year deal.

    But you can't offer a guy like Farmar 2-3 years at 2-3 million per? Give me a break.

    I really hope Bird and Morway know what they're doing

  18. #15
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More importantly, a 3-year deal says to a guy "We think you've got potential to be part of what we're building here"
    Because they don't want to say that to the guys they're offering 1-year deals.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,525

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I was waiting for somebody to say that.

    By "utilize cap space" do you mean "pursue free agents" or "make lopsided trades?"
    IMHO....both. Having Capspace allows you to have more opportunities to improve the Team.

    As for all this 1 year deal stuff......I said it before....but get ready for another year of signing some Watson-like PG....specifically a cheap veteran PG that can get us through another season of okay play.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #17
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,424
    Mood

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    I kind of look at it as test driving a car over the weekend from a nice dealership. You get a chance to put the car through a little bit before you decide if you want to make a long term commitment that you will be paying for the next 4-5 years. It also gives the player the time to get to know the organization a little bit and city to see if this is a nice place to be for them and their families. If things go tremendously well, sign him for an extension before the year is done. If not, you're off of the hook at the end of the year.

  22. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because they don't want to say that to the guys they're offering 1-year deals.
    I don't know if Farmar could work in a Kobe-less system. But if I'm the Pacers, a 3-year, $10mil contract (heck, throw a team option in there) is not an unreasonable price to find out. That contract won't handicap our ability to do anything on the FA market, and it probably HELPS us on the trade market (since good guys at reasonable contracts are helpful trade pieces).
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  23. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMHO....both. Having Capspace allows you to have more opportunities to improve the Team.
    Next season we'll have $25mil on the books. You think having $28mil on the books instead would be a problem?

    As for all this 1 year deal stuff......I said it before....but get ready for another year of signing some Watson-like PG....specifically a cheap veteran PG that can get us through another season of okay play.
    If we're looking for a journeyman, then fine. But if we're going after guys coming off their rookie contracts, a cheap multi-year contract is better for them and better for us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  25. #20

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    It's risk aversion.

    The Pacers are going short because the next collective bargaining agreement will change players' salaries. Nobody knows how much or in what ways, but the Pacers don't want commitments during that time of uncertainty. Again, nobody knows what the changes will be, but it is likely to cut salaries and there is likely to be a lockout.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  26. #21
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    I just posted something along these lines in a different thread, I think the big one on Farmar, but you've managed to state it more clearly and thoroughly here, Anthem. Signing a one-year deal is simply not a good plan when you're talking about Farmar.

    --pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  27. #22
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers simply are not looking to tie up money for long-term as they want to utilize cap space next summer.

    Pacers will let the dominos fall with Wade, LBJ, Amare, Bosh, etc. and will look to sign a player for fairly cheap as a patch/band-aid for one year until Murph, Dunleavy, Tinsley, Ford, Foster, etc. all come off the cap.

    Does it send out a message to a player that they may not be a part of the Pacers' long-term future? Absolutely, but for some players, when faced with the choice of playing for the Pacers, going overseas or not playing at all, will usually opt to play for the blue and gold.
    Topic could have just been closed after this answer. This is the correct answer. Whether you believe it's a good decision or not, is another story, but if you're simply asking "why", this is it.
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 07-05-2010 at 08:02 AM.

  28. #23
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Topic could have just been closed after this answer. This is the correct answer. Whether you believe it's a good decision or not, is another story, but if you're simply asking "why", this is it.
    Nope, it's not. The first line is at least partly wrong.

    I get that the Pacers aren't looking to tie up money long-term, but ~3mil/year will not compromise their ability to utilize cap space for next summer.

    I realize that's the easy answer, but it doesn't survive a quick check of the numbers.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  29. #24

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    I'm with Anthem. Wether Farmar is the specific kid to take the
    shot at in this instance or not is an open question (why not; he's
    been a fish outta water in the Triangle who might well get
    along 'swimingly' () in JOB's.... cough...'system'). But the looming
    CBA negatiations shouldn't be an issue.

    Say the new CBA sqeezes everything by 15%. Having a PG with a
    deal at $3mil per year that's suddenly only worth $2.5 mil per isn't
    gonna blow up the Pacers cap flexibility.

  30. #25
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Explain why we'd try to sign somebody for a 1-year contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope, it's not. The first line is at least partly wrong.

    I get that the Pacers aren't looking to tie up money long-term, but ~3mil/year will not compromise their ability to utilize cap space for next summer.

    I realize that's the easy answer, but it doesn't survive a quick check of the numbers.
    Actually, you're wrong. You just don't like it. Like I said.

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...et_nervou.html

    The Pacers are offering one-year deals at around $3.5 million to free agents so they can have as much salary-cap flexibility as possible in the future, according to sources
    .

Similar Threads

  1. So, its about that time of year...
    By Dr. Awesome in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
  2. Contract year
    By deekay85 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 05:03 AM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 4
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM
  4. The PD NBA Draft - Selection #4 - Seattle
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
  5. 7-6 Insider Rumors
    By Gyron in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 09:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •