Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does Fred Jones fit in now?

Johnny

Default Where does Fred Jones fit in now?

After the signing of SJax and Gill, where does that leave Fred? I know there was speculation that he might play some point after we signed SJax. Now, we are three deep at point, and he is behind SJax at the 2. I do not see where he is going to get any playing time unless Reggie really decides to take very limited minutes this year.

I am pretty high on the guy because the Pacers really have not had an athletic swing guard in a long time. It is almost like we traded away our forward logjam to pick up a guard logjam

Default Re: Where does Fred Jones fit in now?

He either gets traded, gets room via another trade, or sits tight and waits patiently for Reggie to call it a career. I'm hoping it's the last one.

Yep, next year he'll be the first guard off the bench.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I'm not so sure Gill will be getting more minutes than Fred.

Sheesh, that old Tmac sig keeps showing up.... that makes me sad.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I'd like to see Fred Jones as our backup SG, with Jackson as the starter.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anthem, I wouldn't mind seing Jones as the backup to Jackson either.....but we know how loyal this franchise is to Reggie Miller, and making him 3rd string is out of the question for them.

Johnny

Absolutely. I really cannot imagine the announcement of the starting lineups without, "aaaand number 31, RRRRRRReggie Miller!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely. I really cannot imagine the announcement of the starting lineups without, "aaaand number 31, RRRRRRReggie Miller!!!!!"
    I'm ready right now. I love Reggie to death, and I've watched every one of his major playoff performances, but this team has got to cut the cord sometime. And of our three shooting guards, it's hard to make the case that Reggie should be in the top two.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    I agree
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I think we should have cut the cord on Reggie Miller last summer.

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

At this point do you classify Reggie as just hanging on for a ring? Do you think he would play Pollard type minutes rather than retire when the team is so close to a championship? I realize he has been cool with taking less minutes but he's still been a starter. Do you think he would be a seat warmer if it meant he was on the team when the team won a championship?

Banned

There are many scenarios that could lead to more minutes for Freddy.

1) Bender gets an injury (as unlikely as that seems) so SJax has to play more minutes at 3.

2) Reggie gets an injury so Freddy and SJax play most or all of the 2 minutes.

3) Artest gets an injury or otherwise has to sit some games out, so SJax becomes the starting 3.

4) The staff decides that Freddy is more effective as backup 1 than the other guys we have there.

5) Any of the backup 1's get an injury, leaving room there for minutes for Freddy.

Depth is good. Any of the above find situations could come up. It's good planning to be prepared for them. The Pacers have improved their depth and flexibility.

Reggie will surprise & disprove a lot of people this season.

Last season was the year for Reggie to surprise & disprove. He had his chance. He was healthy, rested, and didn't do much in the playoffs. I'm ready to cut the cord; I just wish he was. But if he lets Jackson start in his place, I'm OK with him being a bench guy.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Reggie will surprise & disprove a lot of people this season.
    You could be right. My standards for Grandpa Reggie are so low that I'll be surprised if he plays in sixty games and is part of the regular rotation in the playoffs.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

:

First off... Freddie faces a lengthy recovery period. That puts him months behind the team since he will not initially be in playing shape and will not have benefitted from the summer league and training camp.

I don't see any role at all for Freddie until at least January.

And even then he's probably glued to the bench for a month or so.

It's going to be a long season for Freddie.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I know I keep forgetting that when people talk about Fred.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Reggie isn't suprising anyone this season. If you really think Reggie is going to make an improvement over last season, you are in for a major disappointment.

We all gave Reggie the benefit of the doubt, that he had an off year in 02-03 because of his ankles. He was rested, and healthy for 03-04, but had a worse season than 02-03 and didnt do much in the playoffs.

Face it, Reggie is 39, is entering his 18th season in the league, he is finished, and probably wont average in double figures this year. Let's move on and cut the cord.

Its time for Jackson to start.

I can't really figure out those that talk about Reggie significantly slipping.

His FG% is in line with what it has been for the last 6 years. And his 3FG% is in line with his career percentage.

So, basically all the moaners and groaners are *****ing about the fact that Reggie is not shooting as much, therefore not scoring as much.

Yet the focal point of the offense is now through Jermaine and Ron, with Reggie being the #3 option at best.

The only problem that I have with Reggie is the that I perceive that he is passing up open shots that he should be taking. Now that bothers me a lot.

But I am not bothered by the fact that he is scoring less. Anyone who says that is anything other than intentional needs to actually watch a game or two.

Now if you were to argue that, considering that Reggie is 39, he should be playing fewer minutes so that he will remain fresher as the season progresses, then I'd totally agree with that.

But to say he's finished and unable to perform and should therefore be relegated to 3rd guard or even cut loose? I'm sorry, that's beyond absurd. That's stupidity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    But to say he's finished and unable to perform and should therefore be relegated to 3rd guard or even cut loose? I'm sorry, that's beyond absurd. That's stupidity.
    He's so slow now that he CAN'T get shots off like he used to. That's why he passes up shots. He's too slow to get open and too slow to get shots off.

And on defense...well, he's too slow to guard anyone effectively.

If he does start this year, it should only be as a symbolic gesture to honor his long career and contribution to the franchise. If they want to start him, then fine, let him start, play a few minutes, then go sit down and watch the game. The other 2 guys are better players now.

That is truth, not stupidity.

I'm certain you are correct about Jackson. He is certainly a better all-around player.

Considering Freddie's injury, I'm not certain that he will become a better all-around player than Reggie this season.

Freddie is certainly a much better defender than Reggie. I would probably rate Reggie as "adequate" and Freddie as one of the better defensive SGs in the league.

You don't see Reggie running guys off screens like you used to. I will agree with that. But I do not believe that it has anything to do with Reggie's speed or lack thereof. I believe that particular play is a thing of the past. We are looking to get the ball into the post as our first scoring option, not look for Reggie. So we don't want Reggie going through the post, rubbing his man off where he will be in perfect position to double down on JO.... that wouldn't make sense.

I personally think you are mistaken. Reggie had PLENTY of open looks during the season and in the playoffs. He just passed them up.

If the reason for doing so is simply that Reggie wouldn't shoot and is deferring, then shame on him. And, I go along with inserting Jackson as the starter.

If the reason for passing up open shots is because of Carlisle's offensive design, then I'd say it's really not going to make a difference offensively who starts out at the guard position.

IMO, it really doesn't matter who you want to start at SG. They will NOT take more than 1-2 shots over the first 8 minutes of the game anyway. You could start a 3-foot midget if you wanted to, and you would get just as many shots. During most of Q1, all our offense does is establish the game through JO and Ron anyway.