Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have the assets to land Chris Paul?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Do we have the assets to land Chris Paul?

If there really is a possibility that Chris Paul is available, shouldn't we throw everything at the Hornets to get him?

I'd hate to lose Granger, Hibbert, or George, our three biggest assets I suppose, but it seems like it would be worth it to land a perennial All-Star. Build around Paul and you might just might pull off a championship.

Is there any combination of players we could offer to make this happen?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Do we have the assets to land Chris Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there really is a possibility that Chris Paul is available, shouldn't we throw everything at the Hornets to get him?

I'd hate to lose Granger, Hibbert, or George, our three biggest assets I suppose, but it seems like it would be worth it to land a perennial All-Star. Build around Paul and you might just might pull off a championship.

Yes. Granger, Rush, and TJ for Paul and filler would probably get it done if Paul would want to come here, but why would he want to without Granger?

So, no, not if we can only have current players included in the trade. From back in the day, a combination of Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller probably could have gotten the job done.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Adding Paul while losing basically all of our young talent is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. We would be in the same place we are now.
    Last edited by joew8302; 07-03-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I failed to realize the titanic didn't have "desk" chairs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

I have nothing but the upmost respect for CP3 abilities but he has 0 championships and if we gut our team, what makes anyone think he will lead us any farther than he did New Orleans.

Getting CP3 would be wonderful but not at the expense of Granger and Hibbert. No thanks.

JMO

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

I think if we took on Okafor and game them Granger, George, Mruphy, Rush + first rounder...It'll get the job done...but quite frankly, I wouldnt do it...but to answer your question, yes we do have the assets
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I think if we took on Okafor and game them Granger, George, Mruphy, Rush + first rounder...It'll get the job done...but quite frankly, I wouldnt do it...but to answer your question, yes we do have the assets
    I'd do that.

It would be a trade, so technically Chris Paul would not have to "approve" it. How much longer before his contract is up?

Regarding the swap of our current assets for Paul, I think there is a much better percentage chance of getting a cast similar to Granger, Rush, and George after acquiring a perennial All-Star and top tier point guard like Paul . . . then the other strategy—keeping our assets and hoping to land another top tier All-Star player and/or point guard down the road.

Great small forwards are easier to find than great point guards.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I'd do that.

It would be a trade, so technically Chris Paul would not have to "approve" it. How much longer before his contract is up?

Regarding the swap of our current assets for Paul, I think there is a much better percentage chance of getting a cast similar to Granger, Rush, and George after acquiring a perennial All-Star and top tier point guard like Paul . . . then the other strategy—keeping our assets and hoping to land another top tier All-Star player and/or point guard down the road.

Great small forwards are easier to find than great point guards.
    CP3 is under contract until 2012/2013 (where he has an option).

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...es/hornets.jsp
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Why couldn't we do it without Granger? Portland was almost able to pull it off, and Roy, Aldridge and Oden were no where to be found in the deal.

I'd offer Ford, Murphy, Paul George and either Hibbert or a future 1st for Paul and Okafor

They get 2 expiring contracts that can play and contribute for a year, and that give them 20 million in expiring contracts. They get a top 10 pick wing in George they can add to Collison and David West, then they can have a future 1st round pick (What I would prefer to give) or a young Center in Hibbert.

Pacers w/o Hibbert:

PG: Chris Paul, Price, FA?
    SG: Rush, Stephenson, Dahntay
    SF: Granger, Dunleavy, Dahntay
    PF: Hansbrough, McRoberts, Solo
    C: Okafor, Foster, Rolle

Pacers w/ Hibbert

PG: Chris Paul, Price, FA?
    SG: Rush, Stephenson, Dahntay
    SF: Granger, Dunleavy, Dahntay
    PF: Okafor, Hansbrough, McRoberts
    C: Hibbert, Foster, Rolle

Hornets w/ Hibbert

PG: Collison, Ford
    SG: George, Thorton
    SF: Posey, Wright, Peja, Pondexter
    PF: West, Brackins
    C: Hibbert, Murphy

The lineup w/o Hibbert is the same except they would have a 1st round pick they can target a center with. Hornets would also have 20 million to work with next summer w/Ford and Murphy coming off the books. 33 million if you count Peja.

The Pacers would still have about 15/16 of expiring with Dunleavy, Foster and Solo.

Pacers could also offer to swap Foster with Posey which would give the Hornets another expiring contract a year earlier and a Center option if the Pacers want to keep Hibbert.

Basically the Hornets get George and a 1st round pick, or George and Hibbert, to go with Collison, Thorton and West, as well as 20-26 million in expiring contracts (not including Peja), all while being able to still put a competitive team on the floor

Mood

If you think we could get Paul without Granger you must be in lala land. The citizens of New Orleans would burn down the french quarter (and rightfully so) if the Hornets traded the best pg in the NBA for a package centering around Roy Hibbert.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yes we likely do have the assets, but why give up the farm when we could get collison for much cheaper; not having to give up Granger, George, Hibbert, or any draft picks.

i would rather take on Collison. did you guys see his stats the final 3 months of the season? Collison would be alot more affordable.

We would have to give up granger or a few of our young guys not to metion taking okafors contract. I would much rather go after collison who is much younger and would cost less.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Banned

no we don't

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    no we don't
    Larry: hey NO's how bout we offer you Granger, Hibbert, 2 1st rounder unprotected, and Murphy

NO's Gm: and you want Paul/okafor in return. where do we sign.

i.e. if NO's turned that down for Paul,, they are dipsh*ts. if Larry offered it..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    Larry: hey NO's how bout we offer you Granger, Hibbert, 2 1st rounder unprotected, and Murphy

NO's Gm: and you want Paul/okafor in return. where do we sign.

i.e. if NO's turned that down for Paul,, they are dipsh*ts. if Larry offered it..
    NO knows that Paul is once in a life time player when Granger is just another one of the guys

NO knows that Paul is once in a life time player when Granger is just another one of the guys
    Once in a lifetime? Don't overrate the guy. He's an all-star point guard. Top 5 at the positon. He's no Lebron, he's no Kobe.

Mood

Hornets prez Hugh Weber, at event WITH Chris Paul, when asked if it's 100 percent CP3 starts next season as a Hornet: "No question, yes."
    about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck
    Via- Marc Stein

Anyway, why gut your team for a PG when he'd have no one to create for? He can't pass to himself...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Trading for Paul while giving up Granger is plain dumb in my opinion. Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic is all that is. New Orleans and Indiana are not ideal trading partners.

If we wanted Paul we should have fired JOB and hired Scott. They are buddies and it would have given Paul a reason to reup. On that note, does Cleveland have expirings to trade for him?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

you know and i know NO's would not turn that down. Granger is a freaking all-star, and you add Hibbert, George who they coveted w/ 2 unprotected firsts... c'mon man lets be realistic here.

only player untouchable in the league is LeBron. again, if Larry offered that for Paul

Portland offered Dre Miller, Bayless, Pryzbilla, Batum, and pick #22 and the Hornets GM almost bit. Ford, Murphy, George and next year's 1st isn't far off. You could even add another future first in 2013. If take away a 1st and add Hibbert I personally think our package is better then Portland's

That being said, Paul is likely going nowhere

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Portland offered Dre Miller, Bayless, Pryzbilla, Batum, and pick #22 and the Hornets GM almost bit. Ford, Murphy, George and next year's 1st isn't far off. You could even add another future first in 2013. If take away a 1st and add Hibbert I personally think our package is better then Portland's

That being said, Paul is likely going nowhere
    i agree.. Paul is likely going nowhere, but over on HOrnets report there is alot of specualtion that Paul wants out, and wants to win now.

reasonaly.. as you eluded to Paul is for hire.

Paul, Okafor, Posey @ 30 mill

for

Murphy, Dunleavy, TJ @ 30 and an unprotected first rounder.

pg: Paul, Price
    sg: Rush, George, Jones, Stephenson
    sf: Granger, Posey
    pf: Okafor, Hansbrough, McBob
    c: Hibbert, Foster, Solo, Rolle

looks like a 50 win squad to me and a potential championship caliber team. why NO's would do it.. 30 million in cap room next offseason along with a first rounder unprotected.

doubt Paul gets moved, but thats a very solid offer. still say go after Collison unless NO's would accept that.

Banned

here is a video to remind some people what kind of player CP3 is, Im sorry but Granger is not even close

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i know the type of player Paul is.. and didnt say Granger was equal, but he is close. Granger is a STUD on a bad team.

all im saying is the Pacers have the assets.

here is a video to remind some people what kind of player CP3 is, Im sorry but Granger is not even close
    I don't care. You don't trade your team for one player.

Mood

It all depends on what the Hornets want. If they want cap space then yes. If they want young talent then no. One player is not worth all of our young guys.