Thread: Big spending benefitting the Pacers?

Default Big spending benefitting the Pacers?

I know we've all talk about how weak the 2011 free agent class looks to be, but with teams spending so much so far this summer, we may be able to make the most out of our cap space if we hold tight.

Not sure what you all would offer Al Horford, but we would definitely have a chance to make the Hawks pay for matching, same goes with the Bulls and Noah, and the Thunder with Jeff Green, seeing that they'll have to MAX out Durant.

Yao is unrestricted, and as many of you know Tony Parker is as well. Oden and Conley are both restricted, say Oden stays healthy and puts it together? Perhaps Conley breaks out, the Griz have already maxed out Gay, and will have to keep Gasol around who is restricted as well

Caron Butler will be unrestricted, perhaps Nene or Melo. Aaron Brooks will be restricted. The Rockets may have his Max and Yao if he bounces back.

Thad Young will be restricted in Philly. Landry unrestricted w/ Kings, Kirilenko with Jazz.

Not too mention the chance of an unhappy player that may want out b/c of a teams direction, take Chris Paul for example. He said today that the Hornets need to show urgency in upgrading their roster this summer b/c he doesn't want to rebuild. With cap space and young talent the Pacers could be in the drivers seat on a Paul deal. Who wouldn't take on Okafor to have Chris Paul on the roster? Paired with Granger, hopefully a more well rounded Hibbert, a healthy Hansbrough, and hopefully a good wing in Rush, George or Stephenson? Hopefully a new coach to put it all together?

Perhaps even Nash, who's getting old, but still has game wanting out of Phoenix w/ Amare gone and them rebuilding.

There's definitely options. Never know what could happen!

Default Re: Big spending benefitting the Pacers?

You know what, I hope so, cause it is looking bleak... I would love if down the road we could get Al Horford, I know he is undersized, but I like the way he plays the game. We should have some options, maybe this patience strategy works out for us, at least I hope it does.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see your point...with all this big spending going on, some teams won't have enough to sign their 2nd option players, 3rd option players, so we may be in luck this time next season. I think Horford would be a great player to put with Hibbert, and with the Hawks potentially going to sign Joe Johnson to that HUGE contract, Horford might just be available for us to nab next season.

That's exactly my point, not saying it's something Bird is/was banking on, but it could work out in their favor. Horford is an undersized Center and I think he would be great next to Roy as a PF just like he played well next to Noah in college.

The Chris Paul scenario might be a pipe dream, but you never know? Why give up #10, Rush and Murphy for a 1 year rental on Tony Parker, when you may simply be able to sign him outright as a free agent?

If Portland or Memphis sours on the local Oden or Conley, you may be able to acquire them for a solid price.

You never know how OKC feels about Jeff Green. We know they have to pay Durant, and they'll have to pay Westbrook soon as well.

It may not be superstars, but they're players that can come in and get this franchise headed in the right direction, and you can do this w/o having to move young pieces for a 3-4 year window.

There's still the draft. There's still a chance a young player on our roster turns out better then expected.

Just saying though times are slow this summer, and may stay slow, that one bright side to everyone else spending, could be our bright side next summer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

I am all for getting horford to play PF. He is very much like dale davis the way he rebounds and plays. Oden though I am not down with. You know he will just get injuried. If he was our backup to hibbert for cheap then i'd do it. as for green he is too much like murphy. i want to get back to our smash and bash days of the davis brothers. we need tough guys and green is not that type player. being from okc ive seen him play alot
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

I think a center rotation of Hibbert and Oden would be very good for us...that's definitely something to think about.

Since we have no clue what the landscape will be like after next season until a new CBA is in place, i would pretty much forget planning anything player wise.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just like buying day-old items from your nearest bakery for a much cheaper price. It may not be as good, but at least it is cheap. But, if you wait too long, the store might run out of what you really want, and what you buy might end up with mold on it real soon if you don't hurry up and eat it.

Patience would likely yield the players that are not as desireable, but they would be much cheaper. But, if the Pacers wait too long, there might not be anyone left who is worth picking up, and in the event that they do pick up somebody, there is at least some likelihood of there being some issues with that player if he has enough skills to be worth picking up after everybody else has taken their choice.