Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Wolf Game Rules Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Wolf Game Rules Thread

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume that upon infection, the GM declares "Infection has occurred!" with no further details?
    I suppose you could do that, but I also think it'd be fun for people to know that the infection could occur at any point in time without you knowing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    What if the wolves figure out who the seer/angel is, or if it were just blind luck. If I were a wolf, I would want to infect them. But changing anyone of those roles to a wolf would give a boost to the wolves, I doubt any humans could overcome.
    It's not a whole lot different than just outright killing the seer or angel though. The real benefit would be if you could infect a human the seer had seen before that human outs him or herself in the thread.

It's another piece to make the chess match a little more risky and complicated.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But what would you say in the morning.

I was going with the belief that you didn't let people know if an infection occurred...you would have to guess based off play style (WHICH IS WHY CHARACTERS AND PARTICIPATION ARE ACTUALLY IMPORTANT).

Basically at the start of the game the humans would know there are 4 wolves and that any point in time the wolves could add one to their ranks. You would assume the wolves are definitely going to do that, so you're basically looking at it like there are 5 wolves, the problem is you don't know when one is going to show up.

You could just say no one died, did the angel save someone? Was someone infected? Those are really the only two options. IF the angel is dead then you know an infection occurred which adds yet another level of strategy to when you use the infection. Do you use a possible save by the angel as a cover for the infection or do you wait to have more information as to who could be a useful person to infect?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yep, the seer could absolutely re-see people if they wanted to, but that is also a risk because what if the person wasn't infected? Waste of a night.

I think the infection is simple and really spices up the game for the seer, wolves, and regular humans. It'd be kind of cool to suddenly have a special role halfway through the game.
    If infection is included, should there be one fewer wolf at start than would be typical?

Well this started out as a way to make the seer a little bit weaker, so no, I don't see why you would punish the wolves.

The infection accomplishes several things...

holds the seer in check a bit as well as people who are confirmed humans...
    makes you create lists and beliefs off of in thread play instead of PMs or forum activity because that information could become irrelevant at any moment...
    and finally spices up the game a little for everyone.

Well this started out as a way to make the seer a little bit weaker, so no, I don't see why you would punish the wolves.
    I would just worry that you've weakened the seer and also made the wolves stronger, possibly shifting the balance too far to wolf. Just a thought.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to binarysolo For This Useful Post:

oooooh what if the seer could transfer his powers to another individual if he thought he was exposed!! haha that's getting a bit complicated but I thought it sounded interesting.

Well, it doesn't necessarily make the wolves substantially stronger unless they get it right. I'm certainly open to what everyone else thinks, but especially in games where we have 20+ players the adding of an extra wolf doesn't make the wolves substantially more powerful, it's the information that add could have that would help them out.

It's not a whole lot different than just outright killing the seer or angel though. The real benefit would be if you could infect a human the seer had seen before that human outs him or herself in the thread.

It's another piece to make the chess match a little more risky and complicated.
    Knowing you've lost the seer/angel really hurts the humans, but it benefits them in actually knowing they can't rely on that subject.

I think a declaration that someone was infected has to be made. I guess one could put two and two together in that if there was no kill that night, and the GM didn't say someone was saved by the angel, you would figure it out, but it would just be best if it's known outright.

I think the swing of power to the wolves would be too great if it's done in complete secrecy.

And I think if the wolves get to the seer in the middle of the game, when they've established a report with known humans, would be a pretty huge advantage as well.

I think if we're going by that rule, and the wolves accidently pick the seer/angel to infect, it should automatically turn into a kill. I'm open for debate on whether or not it should count as an infection, but it would be too much to not only lose a special role but to also add on to the wolves number.

I could agree with that Since. Special roles can't be infected/converted only killed.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I could agree with that Since. Special roles can't be infected/converted only killed.
    You could also throw in the wrinkle that the wolves didn't HAVE to kill every night. I know that could really lengthen out the game, but if you wanted to cover up an infection, you could say for one night they didn't have to bump someone off. Or just give them limitless options of not killing someone.

EDIT: I think it would work best if you said only one time, though. That way you have to guess if they infected someone, or if there are two silent nights which time it was used.

I'm just thinking aloud. A flat out "no" won't hurt my feelings.

Well here's how I've always done it.

1 infection for the wolves, if the angel blocks it, it still counts, it cannot be used again.

The infection is not announced.

Seer and angel can be infected. Although I still maintain it's actually more useful to infect a regular human the seer saw.

I don't disagree with that either sweabs, but it can get a little stale playign the same version over and over again that's why there are actually a TON of different roles when people get together and play with 40-50 people in real life.

Being able to infect is cool, also in some games there are "cubs" who are basically people that aren't wolves yet but if they survive a certain number of rounds will grow into wolves. There was a site I used to know of that had like 20+ roles in it.

I think something like an "infection outbreak" alert during the day would be needed.. . and if the angel blocks an infection, mention something about a vaccine. : p I think it'd be important for the humans to know that the wolves have used up their infection.

And I think the angel/seer should be able to be infected. That way anyone who's allied with the seer has to at least question himself post-infection.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm still fairly new to the wolf game, but I'm not opposed to trying it out with the infection rule added in.

I do agree with sweabs though, had it not been for the forum technology, it would have been much more difficult for the humans to identify wolves, so I'm not entirely sure this is necessary for fairness purposes, but it does add a nice wrinkle to the game.

Mood

I think if we could do offline browsing then we do a regular round. It not we try the infection.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As your future GM I just wanted to let you know that the infection idea is awesome! While I was at work I was thinking of how to write the story in a mafia setting. This whole infection thing could be easily implemented in to my story. I would just need a general consensus on if I'd announce it or not.

I agree that one time for the wolves is good and if the angel deflects it, tough luck. I also think that it would almost make it more interesting if the infection wasn't announced.

If this new piece of the game is added in to the story however, I will post a notice of it at the beginning of the thread, so that people aren't totally confused.
    “Take nothing away from their Big Three, what they have going, but we’ll take a big five any day. That’s what we have.”- Paul George

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I want what I did to be clear - all I did was look at the list of a profile's most recent 10 visitors and cross reference them (by color coding the known humans and known wolves). It was kind of like hearing voices in television static.

I PM'd Miss Piggy (while she was still alive) and told her to advise binarysolo to stop going to Nash's and Piggy's profile in order to PM them. I told her not to use this method as well.

on June 30th, I visited a number of profiles with a fake account. That's who *coolio* is. I wanted to see if he would get bumped, and if so, I wanted to know who it was.

I spent 2.5 hours tops on a theory that turned out to be fairly solid.

What I did NOT do is sit on a person's profile and hit refresh to see what they were doing minute to minute.

In the end, I didn't want to rely on the same trick every time the game was played, so to get the players on my side, I told them who I believed were the wolves and told them why.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I want what I did to be clear - all I did was look at the list of a profile's most recent 10 visitors and cross reference them (by color coding the known humans and known wolves). It was kind of like hearing voices in television static.

I PM'd Miss Piggy (while she was still alive) and told her to advise binarysolo to stop going to Nash's and Piggy's profile in order to PM them. I told her not to use this method as well.

on June 30th, I visited a number of profiles with a fake account. That's who *coolio* is. I wanted to see if he would get bumped, and if so, I wanted to know who it was.

I spent 2.5 hours tops on a theory that turned out to be fairly solid.

What I did NOT do is sit on a person's profile and hit refresh to see what they were doing minute to minute.

In the end, I didn't want to rely on the same trick every time the game was played, so to get the players on my side, I told them who I believed were the wolves and told them why.
    The fact that you named your fake account "coolio" slays me. Well done.

I like the idea of infection being used. I also think it should not be publicized. If people had been allied with someone they would need to be on their toes and pay attention to what the person does. As was staed though, to make it work people would actually have to show up, interact, and vote.

As for PM's, I usually never go to profiles to send them. I just click on the name of the person and choose send PM. Takes you to the PM page to do it.

One more thing. I have no issue with people coming out and saying "Nash and Ken are wolves because the Seer told me so." That info. can be used against the person as quickly as it can be used to help.
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 07-02-2010 at 05:59 PM.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i didnt really have a problem with the previous game to be honest...sure we the wolves lost but there is nothing that says that the wolves always have to win...this was like the 4th time i was a wolf and only the first time i lost...so it was a welcome outcome...

The wolves won the game before thanks to some bad luck in voting, but that happens. I wish i had known about the strategy mentioned earlier. i have never used it when playing. I think There wer times when i thought LA was a wolf arter I knew he wasn't with what he put in the thread.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

My copy paste job from a few days ago:

AS OF 6/30/2010

PIG NASH
    1. binarysolo
    2. btowncolt
    3. cdash
    4. FlavaDave
    5. flox
    6. Ms. Piggy
    7. N8R
    8. Sookie
    9. sweabs
    10. Trader Joe

BINARYSOLO
    1. alleniversonfan3
    2. Apb1983
    3. Jmalchow
    4. Jose Slaughter
    5. Los Angeles
    6. mike_D
    7. MrBobPants
    8. N8R
    9. PacersFan33
    10. xBulletproof

TRADER JOE
    1. bellisimo
    2. count55
    3. D-BONE
    4. Ms. Piggy
    5. N8R
    6. Pig Nash
    7. Sookie
    8. sweabs
    9. The Hustler
    10. WoodyHayes78

MS. PIGGY
    1. binarysolo
    2. btowncolt
    3. N8R
    4. Pig Nash
    5. sweabs
    6. SycamoreKen
    7. The Lone Granger
    8. The Toxic Avenger
    9. Trader Joe
    10. Trophy

N8R
    1. bellisimo
    2. billbradley
    3. binarysolo
    4. btowncolt
    5. Ms. Piggy
    6. Pig Nash
    7. Shalaska
    8. sweabs
    9. td#12
    10. Trader Joe

LOS ANGELES
    1. Adam1987
    2. btowncolt
    3. Ms. Piggy
    4. N8R
    5. Natston
    6. speakout4
    7. sweabs
    8. Trader Joe
    9. travmil
    10. vapacersfan

BILL BRADLEY
    1. Dabney Prood
    2. flox
    3. KnicksRGarbage
    4. N8R
    5. Pig Nash
    6. sweabs
    7. The Lone Granger
    8. The Toxic Avenger
    9. Trader Joe
    10. WoodyHayes78

FLOX
    1. billbradley
    2. count55
    3. gummy
    4. Hicks
    5. Jose Slaughter
    6. Kemo
    7. SMosley21
    8. The Lone Granger
    9. Will Galen
    10. WoodyHayes78

HC
    1. crunk-juice
    2. dcpacersfan
    3. HeartlandFan
    4. Hicks
    5. hoopsforlife
    6. Pig Nash
    7. The Lone Granger
    8. Unclebuck
    9. zxc

TROPHY
    1. avoidingtheclowns
    2. Brad8888
    3. croxia
    4. N8R
    5. NewEra
    6. nyballer31
    7. pacers74
    8. Rupert Stilinski
    9. sweabs
    10. TinManJoshua

SOOKIE
    1. billbradley
    2. binarysolo
    3. Day-V
    4. gummy
    5. Speed
    6. sweabs
    7. SycamoreKen
    8. td#12
    9. Trader Joe
    10. USF

BELLISIMO
    1. Day-V
    2. Major Cold
    3. Ms. Piggy
    4. N8R
    5. Pig Nash
    6. Rupert Stilinski
    7. Stryder
    8. sweabs
    9. The Lone Granger
    10. Trader Joe

PACERBLUE
    1. Mr. Sobchak
    2. Pingu
    3. QuickRelease

CDASH
    1. Chuck Chillout
    2. GO!!!!!
    3. gummy
    4. idoc
    5. N8R
    6. pacergod2
    7. Really?
    8. SMosley21
    9. td#12
    10. TinManJoshua

SOUPISGOOD
    1. 317Kim
    2. Anthem
    3. Day-V
    4. Hicks
    5. Los Angeles
    6. Ms. Piggy
    7. Peck
    8. sweabs
    9. td#12
    10. Trader Joe

VAPACERSFAN
    1. Bball
    2. btowncolt
    3. Hicks
    4. Ms. Piggy
    5. N8R
    6. Pig Nash
    7. Stryder
    8. sweabs
    9. TinManJoshua
    10. Young

DABNEY PROOD
    1. billbradley
    2. btowncolt
    3. Hicks
    4. Jose Slaughter
    5. Mourning
    6. pwee31
    7. sweabs

SUAVENESS
    1. bellisimo
    2. dal9
    3. Day-V
    4. HOOPFANATIC
    5. mohawk al
    6. Natston
    7. Pacersfan46
    8. Pig Nash
    9. The Toxic Avenger
    10. Trader Joe

NATSTON
    1. andrektu
    2. btowncolt
    3. Los Angeles
    4. Mount St. Awesome
    5. Ms. Piggy
    6. Peck
    7. sweabs
    8. The Lone Granger
    9. The Toxic Avenger
    10. Trophy
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I just wanna say I always just write people's names in when I PM them. So I must have just visited people's pages randomly, sometimes I do that if I'm bored lol.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: