Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone think this season will be different and why

Default does anyone think this season will be different and why

I am not expecting or thinking much will be different and will not be disappointed if there are few changes.

IMO the following 2011 season should dramatically change things.

JOB will no doubt be gone after his contract has expired.

Murphy and the other expirings will for the most part be gone. The only holdover I can imagine is Dun who may stay on at a very reduced salary. Murphy will be traded, TJ will be traded or bought out, Foster will likely retire, and Tinsley will be off the books. So whatever happens big changes are looming in personnel.

Hopefully, Tyler and George can establish themselves as players to keep, Mcrob will either be a keeper or let go, and whatever happens to Solo and Dahntay doesn't really matter.

Therefore, another season not making the playoffs if it leads to another good draft pick, free agency signings, and teams needing relief from the LT looks pretty good to me.

If after all that we are not improving then all is lost for this team.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: does anyone think this season will be different and why

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not expecting or thinking much will be different and will not be disappointed if there are few changes.

IMO the following 2011 season should dramatically change things.

JOB will no doubt be gone after his contract has expired.

Murphy and the other expirings will for the most part be gone. The only holdover I can imagine is Dun who may stay on at a very reduced salary. Murphy will be traded, TJ will be traded or bought out, Foster will likely retire, and Tinsley will be off the books. So whatever happens big changes are looming in personnel.

Hopefully, Tyler and George can establish themselves as players to keep, Mcrob will either be a keeper or let go, and whatever happens to Solo and Dahntay doesn't really matter.

Therefore, another season not making the playoffs if it leads to another good draft pick, free agency signings, and teams needing relief from the LT looks pretty good to me.

If after all that we are not improving then all is lost for this team.
    100% Agree, Just JOB being gone will make things better.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Return to Glory For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I HOPE this season will be different, but I don't think so, here is why:

1. No serious PG. Sure we could get a Farmar or Livingston, but is this really any type of solution? No. At best these are Jarret Jack, Sarunas, Earl Watson and Anthony Johnson types. Of course I would rather suffer through another brutal season than way overpay for something, but still, even with one of these guys we will be incredibly weak here.

2. Danny Granger, Troy Murphy, TJ Ford- for different reasons I wouldn't expect to get drastically better seasons out of these guys. Murph and Granger have really peaked as players and TJ is in the doghouse. Right there is rough half the teams salary who are all likely not going to be much more productive.

3. Paul George- I like the pick, and he is an interesting prospect for the future, but to expect big things from him this year is pretty unrealistic.

So in essence you would need vast improvement from Hibbbert, Dunleavy, Rush, and Hansbrough for big improvement. More significant contributions from Hansbrough is to be expected, and hopefully Hibbert and Rush will continue to grow, but it probably won't be at a breakneck pace that lets the team fly off. And Dunleavy, who the heck knows? it can't be much worse than last season, can it?

The worst season in a long time awaits us. Potential worst season ever territory.

Unless we totally shakeup the team with some major trade then we'll be entering the season with a roster that IMHO cannot possibly give their all for another month of Jim O'Brien basketball, let alone another season.
    We're going to be an uninspired team just going through the motions playing an already losing brand of basketball. Conseco crowds will follow suit.

If we stick with O'Brien the entire season then as dreadful as the season will be, we'll again make our season-ending run picking off teams who either under-estimate us, are already mailing it in, or the game is meaningless to them and they will play like it. But as bad as we'll be for the majority of the season, we'll not be able to hurt our lottery position as much as in the past.

OTOH, if we make a coaching change mid season we might get a few energy wins off the bat. Whether they could can sustain that (or any kind of consistency) with a new midseason coach without a training camp remains to be seen. It's doubtful IMO... especially if it's one of the new guys assuming HC duties.

I'll be shocked if we win 30 games if O'Brien finishes the season. I think heading into the stretch run we're going to be wondering if we can even win 25.

-Bball "Darksider Hall of Fame" member
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes. Jim O'Brien is very aware of the strengths and weaknesses of a given roster and will make whatever changes required to maximize the talents of the vets, as well as keeping in mind the need for young players to receive ample playing time during the rebuilding process, and will even be willing to alter strategy during the course of games if the initial strategy is yielding poor results.

I believe that there will be more of an emphasis on a passing game, and that defensive effort will be much improved. I also doubt that we will rely nearly as much on 3's, especially if we are not shooting them well because of the potential of opponents getting out on fast breaks due to our missing them and having little ability to get offensive rebounds.

Also, I believe that O'B will come right out and issue a public apology for his past coaching since he came here and, in a convincing fashion, swear that he will do better, because the fans deserve better than he has delivered.

No, I don't think much will change until O'B is out and a new coach has time to come in and unteach (?) our players and then get them to play fundamental basketball.

-Brad8888, "Darksider" Member in Good Standing Who Still Wonders Where the Cookies Are.
    Last edited by Brad8888; 07-01-2010 at 08:41 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

No, I don't expect much to differ from last season. But I do expect 2011-2012 to be the real start of something.

- We'll likely have another lottery pick, which again will be a big step towards the future.

- We'll have significant cap space to sign (hopefully) 3 good free agents. That may vary, but I'll go on that assumption.

- Jim O'Brien will (again, hopefully) be gone.

I'm still excited about this season, and watching Roy continue to develop, and see how Paul George and Lance Stephenson progress.

And I have every reason to believe, as of right now, 2011-2012 will be a big season for us.

Mood

yep, we"ll easily win 55-60 games because Psycho T will be so good, he'll be the only one allowed at the All-Star game, and George will be Rookie of the Year in a landslide. Hibbert will be Most Improved, and Granger will probably win MVP.

and then I'll wake up.

Unfortunately, with Obie at the helm and Murphy still on the team, I don't see much difference from last season. I'd like to see the young core be the starters. Price/Rush or George/Granger/Hans/Hibbert, I'd like to see what would happen if the coach and FO put a little faith in them. But, until Bird makes a deal or three to get rid of Murph, Dun, Ford and the mediocre role players, and/or Obie, we're stuck in the same spot.

Until next year! There's serious potential to remake this team next year if we manage to make it through this year.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

It'll only be different if we start moving some of these expirers which we have (Ford, Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster). I really think our best chances of getting a great players because:
    1. There arent many FA that are going to push this team over being a non-contender in the 2011 Free Agency class, so moving our expirers gives us a wider range of players to select from
    2. Theyre arent many players that would want to come to Indy. Its a small market team. Though we'll have the money, so will some other teams

Best chance is to move some of these expirers and obtain a PF and PG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I expect us to be a little better because I think we should be healthier next year. So, IMO, it all depends on the health of our players.

Except for injured players bouncing back, I don't think we have anyone on the team who is going to make a major leap in productivity. I think we know who we have with Rush and Hibbert (for the most part)...and I seriously doubt rookies are going to lead this team to a winning record. IOW, we are still going to be limited with the younger guys.

So, our best opportunity for success is to see Dunleavy and Hansbrough healthy. Foster healthy would also be nice, but I am now thinking that he is probably on the backside of his career. I cannot believe he will come back at full strength and with his game being energy, old legs is not a good thing. I think he should wrap it up and open up his new biz: Foster Financial

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Maybe we will see the return of the Granger-Dunleavy Duo that left off after the 2007-2008 season if Dunleavy stays healthy.

"such is life" SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Maybe we will see the return of the Granger-Dunleavy Duo that left off after the 2007-2008 season if Dunleavy stays healthy.
    i agree with you on this,i think if dunleavy stays healthy the pacers will have a much better season because he gives confidence in the rest of the players that the rest of them lack, i believe he is the actual leader of the pacers and not granger
    THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU HEAR MY VOICE , NEXT TIME YOU WILL SEE MY FACE

Does it make sense to get rid of these expiring contracts to get players that fit into JOBs system when hopefully he will be gone after this year?

Mood

No, we better make these deals for talent, not for Obie's system. Besides, all the guys that fit his system are already on the coaching staff.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't presume to know what WILL happen.

But I can conceive of reasonable scenarios that would result in a much more positive season.

This is a rough number to toss out, but let's say at least 3 of the following happen:

1) George is good enough to earn the right to be in the rotation

2) Ditto for Stephenson

3) And Magnum (I suspect he'll make the roster)

4) Mike Dunleavy looks closer to '08 Mike than '10 Mike

5) Granger stays healthy most of the year (and is more like late '10 Danny than early '10 Danny)

6) Foster is back to his healthier/usual quality self

7) Hansbrough is healthy and as good as he sometimes was last year on a more regular basis (if not better)

8) Roy Hibbert is better than he was in '10

9) Rush improves

10) Josh becomes a rotation player

11) We acquire a better PG than we had in '10

12) We acquire two PGs better than what we had in '10

Depending on which ones (they are not all equal in their impact on next season), if at least a few of these come to pass, particularly 5, 8, and 11/12, then I could see us winning a lot more than 32 games. At least in theory.

If 5, 8, 11/12 and yet a few more of those things happen, then I could easily see us winning a lot more than 32 games.

But you never know for sure. Health could continue to be a major problem. Roy could regress. We may not acquire any new PGs (or maybe we just re-sign Watson). Players may sulk if they truly despise playing for Jim. Something else bad may happen.

There's always a possibility of one or more of those things happening, too.

But I'm happy that there are at least scenarios (more than one) that aren't total pie-in-the-sky daydreams that would result in a relatively much better season than the 2009-2010 campaign.

God knows we're due for some good news/results.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I think if we get a good PG that fits in well with this team, then we'll have a good chance at nabbing that 7th or 8th spot in the East for the playoffs.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Not sure if this is a darksider perspective or not, but I think many of you underestimate the power of the contract year.

You have a number of guys playing for more money, and I think that makes a big difference in their attitude/effort... especially with Dunleavy and Foster.

The implication of course is that they're doing it more for themselves then for the team, and as such, if we make the playoffs, it will be a 7 or 8 seed.

Hibbert improves, McRoberts improves, and Rush improves.

We will continue to struggle at the 1 though, IMO. Man, I'd consider it a huge coup if we freed up Eric Maynor. I might even start feeling a little optimistic.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

This season will be different.

You will learn more about what the Pacers have in Roy. Does he make another big leap? If he's averaging 16ppg 8rbs 2blks on close to 30mpg, who WON'T be excited?

There are three prospects the Pacers added to the roster. George, Stephenson, and Rolle. If they all make the team, that gives you three players to argue over whether or not they are getting enough playing time. In addition to Hansbrough hopefully being healthy and McRoberts possibly having a larger role.

The record may not be better, the team may not be better, but if the guys that AREN'T expiring improve.....it will be an entertaining year.

Yes; Because it's June

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

I don't really think it'll be much better in terms of W/L... but I think it'll be much more enjoyable.

1) More youth!!! We potentially add FOUR young players (tyler, magnum, paul, lance) compared to the second half of last year when Tyler wasn't playing. ALSO potentially more minutes for Josh (fingers crossed) and the continued development of Rush / Hibbert / Price .... lot's of guys to be excited to watch.

2) The vets we don't like are almost gone!

3) Trade deadline. No matter how bleak things look... we can at least look forward to the trade deadline. Not saying that we will make some blockbuster deal... but at least our name will pop up everywhere (like at draft time) and it will be exciting!

4) it's almost 2011-2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Yes; Because it's June

07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

LOL. Whoops!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

I think it will be a lot different. I like all our draft picks. I think Roy Hibbert could take a huge step forward this year, along with Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush as well. Hopefully Hansbrough can return and stay healthy. Plus, the summer has just started. I think people are over reacting way too much. The important thing is we pull of a good trade, not when we do it. It's a long way from camp.

I just hope it's not good enough for Jim O'brien to luck into a new deal.

If Murph is on the team and Jim is still coaching, it is guaranteed to be really bad...
    If one or both of those guys leaves, it might be a somewhat enjoyable season.

My biggest fear is that Larry will extend Jim after this season and give Murphy a new contract. I can totally see this happening. Can you imagine our big 2011 Free Agent press conference as Bird praises Murphy as one of the greatest Pacers of all time and announces that we have signed him to a new 60million 6 year deal? I can.

Personnel-wise: Still holding out hope that Bird makes some aggressive moves between now and training camp. It wouldn't likely happen until the major free agents are settled, but if he can find a couple of trade partners, I'd like to see him shake things up.

Coaching-wise O'Brien is not going to change his spots regardless of his recent comments about McRoberts, Rush, and Stephenson. Would love to see more balance with the perimeter and post play, but at this point, I know we're still going to be jacking up more 3's than we should be. Bird's going to have to move Murphy and Dunleavy to force O'Brien to focus on youth like he should have been doing all along.

Aside from Hibbert's development, last season was pretty worthless and largely unwatchable, IMO. Bird's been counting on the fans' patience for a long time- here's hoping he can deliver something better for this year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    If Murph is on the team and Jim is still coaching, it is guaranteed to be really bad...
    If one or both of those guys leaves, it might be a somewhat enjoyable season.

My biggest fear is that Larry will extend Jim after this season and give Murphy a new contract. I can totally see this happening. Can you imagine our big 2011 Free Agent press conference as Bird praises Murphy as one of the greatest Pacers of all time and announces that we have signed him to a new 60million 6 year deal? I can.
    That would spell the end for so many Pacers fans. It'd be terrible.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

38. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post: