Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lance Stephenson being our Point Guard of the future?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lance Stephenson being our Point Guard of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And so if you hadn't really seen a player, you would take the time to fill out a misleading and false report????????????? uh huh
    The only statements that I'm responding to are the silly ones suggesting he might be a point guard.
    Guess all those are just bs, eh?
    meh
    Doesn't mean they haven't seen the player, but it doesn't mean they have any clue what they're talking about either.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is one of Chad Fords takes on Stevenson...

May 13 Update: (Las Vegas Workout Report) Cincinnati freshman Lance Stephenson was also in the house. Stephenson was ranked in the top 10 by many scouting services coming out of high school (No. 12 by ESPNU), but a bad reputation scared away a lot of colleges and has marred the opinion of many who've watched him play.

What I saw on Tuesday and Wednesday may cause some to reconsider. Abunassar has been working on Stephenson's conditioning. He is down to 227 with 9.4 percent body fat. He looks as cut and as lean as I've ever seen him. The better conditioning has clearly helped his game. He's lighter on his feet, more explosive and able to keep his intensity up for longer periods of time.

The guy can flat-out score. He's got a nice midrange jumper, can pound it down low and is always hunting for his shot. He wasn't overly selfish (despite the rep), but when a scoring opportunity came, he took it.

I pushed him a little bit after the workout on his bad rep. He was up-front with me that he may have let things get to his head in college. But the last season has been a humbling one for him. He has realized that hype alone won't get him into the league, and he has buckled down to work on his game.

While I don't think Stephenson is a lottery pick, there aren't 30 more talented players in the draft. I'm not sure how he'll handle all the distractions that the NBA brings, but his game is well-suited to the league.

In 3-on-3 games on Wednesday, he challenged Oklahoma State's James Anderson for the most points scored in the morning. He got his points in a variety of ways. He was unconscious from midrange, took the ball to the basket and even posted up a little. While there is clearly more room for maturity on and off the court, he's a talent who could get minutes immediately in the NBA.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

I don't think he is a point guard, but neither were Bledsoe and Bradley in college and people including me were willing to give them a chance at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Thank you, back at ya
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

I say he's best suited as instant O off the bench. At least early in his career assuming he earns the PT. Nothing about him via what little I've seen and the lot I've read sound as if a transition to point is conducive, but I guess there's always an outside chance.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

8. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    That worries me. Anyone picked in the 2nd round probably shouldn't be thinking that highly of themselves. Goes along with the idea of self entitlement I've heard about him, however.

I didn't hear how it was said, or the context, but to me he should just be talking about working his *** off to be sure he makes the team, or to prove all the people who didn't draft him wrong. Not how he compares to an All NBA player.
    That wasn't out of context or misquoted, either. In another interview I watched, he said that he expects to be an All-Star in a few years from now. He appears to really believe this. What I've seen in interviews has bothered me a bit. He strikes me as being too immature to be in the NBA right now, and this is doubly distrubing considering that people on this board want him to run the team's offense and make the big on-court decisions for the team.

I'm not trying to be too hard on him, nor do I dispute that he was probably well worth the risk at 40. I am well aware that he's young and has potential to grow into a very good player. I'm just saying that I have concerns about his level of readiness RIGHT NOW. Everyone is looking at his powerful physique, but I'm not convinced that his brain has caught up to his body.
    Last edited by IndyPacer; 07-01-2010 at 07:29 PM.

He seems to have the physical tools to play the position, but I think his maturity and ego are going to be his biggest challenges. He thinks he's going to be great, and I don't mind that as long as it doesn't hurt the team. We want players with some swagger, this team needs more of that. He seems to have worked on improving his rep, but still has a lot to prove. He is a low risk, high reward guy, the odds are he doesn't work out being a PG, but I won't poo poo on the possibilty he might be successful in some fashion.
    Last edited by odeez; 07-01-2010 at 07:37 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

This guy is not a point guard. Unless if you want TJ 2.0 only stronger, you got Lance.

Or you can play him at his position and he can just use his handles to get past people at shooting guard.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Pippen, Jordan, and Harper all played some point for the Bulls back in the day. It is certainly possible....

Banned

I been saying since they drafted him that the pacers want him to play the point, I think he has the tools to be one.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This guy is not a point guard. Unless if you want TJ 2.0 only stronger, you got Lance.

Or you can play him at his position and he can just use his handles to get past people at shooting guard.
    Huh...? what do you mean by TJ 2.0... he is nothing like Ford in any aspect... feel free to answer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post

What?!?! What's this crazy talk about using a player in their actual position to give them the best chance to perform well and win games? At 6'5" he should clearly play at PF.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Thank you, back at ya
    He's not a point guard. Just because we have a glaring hole at a position doesn't mean we have to try to jam a square peg into a round hole.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I hope not.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

He would take to long to develope into a guard and we will have a guard most likely in the near future either from trade or a cheap FA. This is just not plausible at all. He is a true sg anyway
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers2012 For This Useful Post:

It is highly unlikely that Stephenson is a solution at the point.

He can probably play some point, especially in Jim's offense. I don't see him being a long term solution as a point guard though.

The guy is a scorer. Has enough size to play the 2. Why try and make him into a point? Let him do what he does well and focus on his on/off the court maturity.

It will be interesting to see how he does.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    What?!?! What's this crazy talk about using a player in their actual position to give them the best chance to perform well and win games? At 6'5" he should clearly play at PF.
    At 6'5 he should clearly not be playin PF. The average PF is easily 6'9. I mean reggie was 6'9 and a SG. It about how the player performs in a posistion that determines where he should play. Like Dirk, the dude is 7'0 and a guard. If he was in the post he would suck
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    At 6'5 he should clearly not be playin PF. The average PF is easily 6'9. I mean reggie was 6'9 and a SG. It about how the player performs in a posistion that determines where he should play. Like Dirk, the dude is 7'0 and a guard. If he was in the post he would suck
    That "wooshing" sound you hear, is the joke going right over your head.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

He's not a point guard. Just because we have a glaring hole at a position doesn't mean we have to try to jam a square peg into a round hole.
    Who said he was a point guard? I was simply posing a question. You disagree and that's cool, but at least give it a chance. Also where do you get that anyone is jamming him into the position? I just don't get that. The Pacers are going to try and see if he can play the one, and I think it is worth a look. I don't know if it will work, chances are it won't, but it is worth a try. Why don't you tune into NBATV on Monday if you can get the channel and report back what you see. We should all know a little more then.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Who said he was a point guard? I was simply posing a question. You disagree and that's cool, but at least give it a chance. Also where do you get that anyone is jamming him into the position? I just don't get that. The Pacers are going to try and see if he can play the one, and I think it is worth a look. I don't know if it will work, chances are it won't, but it is worth a try. Why don't you tune into NBATV on Monday if you can get the channel and report back what you see. We should all know a little more then.
    Isn't the title of this thread, "Lance Stephenson being our point guard of the future?" Doesn't that kind of imply that you think he is a point guard?

About jamming him into a position: The guy is a wing player. He seems like a very, very natural 2 guard to me. Trying to make him into a point guard just because we need one seems like you would be attempting to force him into being something that he's not. We've seen this experiment time and time again in the NBA, and it never, ever works. Exhibit A: Larry Hughes.

Isn't the title of this thread, "Lance Stephenson being our point guard of the future?" Doesn't that kind of imply that you think he is a point guard?

About jamming him into a position: The guy is a wing player. He seems like a very, very natural 2 guard to me. Trying to make him into a point guard just because we need one seems like you would be attempting to force him into being something that he's not. We've seen this experiment time and time again in the NBA, and it never, ever works. Exhibit A: Larry Hughes.
    I would have titled the thread "Lance Stephenson is our point guard of the future!" I wouldn't have placed question mark in there if I wasn't asking if folks here what they thought about him playing the position. Yes, it most likely won't work, but if he can be interchangeable btw 1 & 2 now and then that would be nice. I am not for making or forcing him into the position at all. The Pacers are already having him trying to run the offense in the first rookie practice. I get you don't like the idea, cool. I am open to seeing what he can do at the 1, that's all...

I would have titled the thread "Lance Stephenson is our point guard of the future!" I wouldn't have placed question mark in there if I wasn't asking if folks here what they thought about him playing the position. Yes, it most likely won't work, but if he can be interchangeable btw 1 & 2 now and then that would be nice. I am not for making or forcing him into the position at all. The Pacers are already having him trying to run the offense in the first rookie practice. I get you don't like the idea, cool. I am open to seeing what he can do at the 1, that's all...
    Alright, my fault then, sorry man. I just took it different than you intended.

I think he could actually play some spot minutes at the 1 if we were in a pinch, but his NBA future is at the 2 I think. Like you said, we wait and see.