Thread: Baron Davis' Recruitment Letter to Free Agents

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Baron Davis' Recruitment Letter to Free Agents

I thought this was a well written letter by Baron Davis. I don't know how affective it will be in drawing FAs to sign with the Clippers but it was really interesting to see his reasons for choosing to leave Golden State and join them.

The whole story can be found here:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5344930

Below is just Baron's letter:
    An open letter to free agents:

I'm writing this from Africa, a far cry from the 24-7 media updates on what's known as the biggest and best free agency class in the history of the NBA. I can't help but think about two summers ago, when I was making the decision to stay or leave from the Warriors. I came to LA to make an impact on the city, to help change the shape of another organization. I took the road less traveled. I left a team that was one win shy of the playoffs. I left a city that I had made a home. I left fans that were amazing. All to cause change, to start over again. I came to Los Angeles, hoping to rebuild and reignite a franchise.

It takes a lot of luck, talent, money, and strong leadership to have continued success in the NBA. I can say without a doubt that we're on the right track. The franchise is moving into a younger more vibrant direction. The negative mindset is gone. I definitely don't think I need to pitch anyone on the benefits that Los Angeles has to offer. Everybody knows its one of the best places in the world. And when it comes down to it, it shouldn't be about the city anyway, [it's] about what you want to accomplish. If you truly are passionate about the game of basketball and want to accept the challenge, come join us. We have a young nucleus that has the tools to compete every night, and I can't name another franchise whose fans have kept faith and supported their team like Clipper Nation has supported us.

I have spent the past two weeks traveling in Africa and have been humbled to the utmost. I have learned a lot about myself, and what it truly means to be a part of a community working towards a common goal. My hope is that I can take what I have learned here, and apply it to my life both personally and professionally. We must never take for granted the life we have and the opportunity to work with each other to make history. On a much smaller scale, being an NBA player and the decision many of you free agents make can greatly change the path of a community and a franchise.

As people, it is in our DNA to want to be individuals amongst a group, to be different than the person next to us. So what we offer is the chance to create a new starting point. Success here, in one of the [world's] largest media markets, will mean you have everything at your fingertips. It's no secret that this franchise has faced many obstacles, but the past doesn't have to determine the future. No matter what decision you make, someone won't like it. You have an opportunity to write a new story in the city of Los Angeles. Our organization and community [are] ready and willing to embrace more talent. Great opportunities exist amongst many teams, but here you aren't just continuing a legacy, you have the opportunity to create your own.

Good Luck!

Baron Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Baron Davis' Recruitment Letter to Free Agents

he's probably just sad that him and Brand bailed on Ellis and ended up in mediocre situations
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Baron Davis, for all his inconsistencies as a player, is a very smart dude. Just look at all the non-basketball stuff he does.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

A nice letter by Baron, but if I am free agent, I don't think it sways me to come to the LA Clippers. I watched Baron play many a time for the Warriors when they had a couple of great years, he should have never left, he was made to play in Nellie's system, but that's NBA free agency.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

maybe we need to have Danny write a letter

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

I doubt Davis wrote that as it was probably done by a Clippers pr person with his name attached.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    To say what? Pleading with FA to play for free in scenic Indiana. Perhaps it could be a tax write off, similar to donating to charity.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    To say what? Pleading with FA to play for free in scenic Indiana. Perhaps it could be a tax write off, similar to donating to charity.
    I've spent the last 4 years in Indiana, a far cry from the 24/7 good basketball in other places. I think about 4 years ago when I decided to enter the NBA draft and was selected by the Pacers, a team seemingly on the verge of title contention, but in reality, on the verge of insanity.

It takes a lot of luck, talent, money, and strong leadership to succeed in the NBA, and here in Indiana, we have virtually none of those things. But I don't need to pitch anyone on playing in Indiana anyways, because it shouldn't be about the city, it should be about creating a legacy. A legacy that would be really easy to create for one of you big time, talented ball players. So, if you want to take on the challenge of lifting our poor franchise from the muck and mire and being "the best thing since 0-time Champion, Reggie Miller," well, have we got a deal for you!

Being here in Indiana has humbled me greatly. In fact, I'm not above begging you on my hands and knees to come here and play one year for free, until our glut of terrible contracts expire next season and we can actually sign you to a decent deal. Please, please, please, please consider this. I am seriously begging you.

As people, it's in our DNA to be different, and choosing to grab your own ankles and play here would be an extreme difference from the places you've been and are thinking about going. No matter what you do, someone won't like it. So, why not do something to really tick them off and sign with us. You'd have the entire state at your fingertips -- that means more corn than you can eat, and all the...uhh...whatever else you want! This state and team is more than ready to embrace some fresh talent. Great opportunities are everywhere, but we'd like you to come here instead!

Sincerely,

Danny Granger
    Last edited by pizza guy; 07-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Go to the Clippers Lebron!!! Just get out of the Eastern conference please.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post: