Thread: Knicks finally get Crawford

Default Knicks finally get Crawford

God I'm glad this is over. I was sick to death of hearing about it. Now if somebody would please sign Dampier...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1853011

Guard comes to NY in six-player swap

ESPN.com news services

After almost five weeks of on-and-off haggling, Jamal Crawford's finally headed to New York.

The Knicks and Bulls announced a deal Thursday afternoon that sends Crawford, a combo guard, and forward Jerome Williams to New York in exchange for four players in the final year of their contracts -- center Dikembe Mutombo, forward Othella Harrington, guard Frank Williams and center Cezary Trybanski.

As Crawford was a restricted free agent, the Bulls actually had to sign him to a new deal -- with several reports placing it in the seven-year, $56 million range -- before sending him to the Knicks. For the Bulls, the key to the deal was the financial flexibility they received by obtaining a number of expiring contracts.

"Over the course of these negotiations we've stated all along, that if we were going to move Jamal Crawford, it would be imperative for us to receive financial flexibility from a cap standpoint," Bulls executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson said in a news release. "Not only does this deal help us in that regard, but the players that we acquired have added depth to our roster and will help us this season."

The 6-foot-5 Crawford averaged 17.3 points and 5.1 assists last season in Chicago, but shot only 38.6 percent from the field.

"It's never easy to move a player with the ability of a Jamal Crawford," Paxson said in the release. "As evidenced by his time here, he has a world of talent and we wish him well. However, there are realities of this business and this move is one of them. This trade accelerates our team's flexibility and moves us in the right direction."
    Well, blast Isiah all you want, but people said he was walking into an impossible situation in NY with an immovable roster. The results may be questionable, but who would have thought that in 8 months he'd only have 4 players left from when he started (Allan Houston, Shandon Anderson, Kurt Thomas, and Mike Sweetney. Plus, KT may be gone soon as well.)

Also, I've got to hand it to Paxson. I've really been dogging him for just swapping bad contracts with Zeke, but he held his ground, which forced Crawford to take less money. Hence, he got rid of Williams' contract and only got ending contracts in return. Nice job.

That said, JYD will be a real asset for New York. His contract may suck, but that doesn't matter where the Knicks are concerned. He's the kind of energy guy all good teams need.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Knicks finally get Crawford

Great trade for the Bulls.
    Decent trade for the Knicks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...ank&id=1852866

Wow, didn't take long for the haters to show up. Can we say canned article?

Considering he obviously wrote it a long time ago, you'd think he would have taken the time to write a better one.

Well, I was looking over NY's salary situation, and it's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Granted, this doesn't have Jamal's numbers, but from the above we know it's a Croshere-type deal, big, but not prohibitively so.

Okay, bear with me. Granted, this year is huge. But they're willing to spend the money. Lord knows why.

Things get interesting next year. They'll still be over $100M, but look closer, they have 4 major ending deals: Penny ($16M), Tim Thomas ($14M), Nazr ($5.5M), and Moochie ($4M, due to team option). Now, granted they're not going to trade them all for draft picks, but you'd have to think that next season at least a couple of those can be moved for decent players.

This continues into the next season, or two years from now. Houston ($21M), Anderson ($8.5M) and JYD ($6.5M, again due to team option.) You go out from there, and the only deals they have are Starbury, Crawford, KT, and Sweetney.

My point is, the Knicks cap crisis isn't unending, like it was under Layden. If they wanted to, they could be under the LT in two years and the cap in three. Now, granted, that's probably not going to happen, but they'll have a number of tradeable assets in the years to come. In other words, don't listen to people, like Hughes above, who say that Isiah has tied his hands for years to come.

Hard to fault the trade from the Knicks perspective, EXCEPT for trading Frank Williams. I really thought he'd be a good player for them. Surely the ending contracts would be enough... no need to give the Bulls a hot prospect too.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea this is a great trade for the Knicks.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...ank&id=1852866

Wow, didn't take long for the haters to show up. Can we say canned article?

Considering he obviously wrote it a long time ago, you'd think he would have taken the time to write a better one.
    I didn't see much to disagree with in the arcitcle. None of the players have ever won anything. They all have giant question marks in some area. Now they want to get a center that has had 2 good seasons in his career on a bad team.