Thread: So let me get this straight...

Banned

Question So let me get this straight...

We have a glut of expiring contracts which would equal over $50 million in salary in 2011, in a 2011 free agent class that minus Durant and Carmelo should they sign extensions with their respective teams, would be a lame *** free agent class. And all we're doing is pursuing Jordan Farmar and Kyle Lowry?

Default Re: So let me get this straight...

i'm sure the big game plan is to trade those big expirings at the trade deadline to maximize their value and bring in a talented point guard. the draft simply wasnt the right time to force a deal, bird knows very well that teams will be desperate at all-star break for cap reductions. farmar wouldn't be a bad option depending on the cost neither would ramon sessions. Bird is just biding his time for a big trade, not necessarily a free agent signing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to themayhem87 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been saying all along that we're the dark horse in the FA race. S&T baby, S&T.

Alternating black and green because I can't decide if I'm entirely joking...

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do not think the idea was to just sit tight and make a big splash in free agency in 2011. You take a look at that list and it is pretty lackluster. Only names that really jump out is an unrestricted Carmelo and a restricted Durant. No way Durant gets away from the Thunder and no way Carmelo comes to Indiana.

I imagine we will try and move some of our expiring contracts this summer or at the trade deadline to get more picks or a player. All I want to see us do is move some expiring contracts and get someone like Lawson or Collison and I think we have something to build on.

EDIT:

Pizzaguy I hope you are kidding. I do not see any of the big names really want to come to Indiana when they have the pick of the litter. Why would Bosh pick us over Miami? I do not want to pay Joe Johnson or Boozer max money. Dirk and Paul would be itnersting, but I bet they re-sign with their teams. No way we get Lebron or Wade.

Maybe he biggest move with the expiring contracts is the Pacers will be able to afford to remain in Indiana?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Banned

Exclamation Re: So let me get this straight...

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not think the idea was to just sit tight and make a big splash in free agency in 2011. You take a look at that list and it is pretty lackluster. Only names that really jump out is an unrestricted Carmelo and a restricted Durant. No way Durant gets away from the Thunder and no way Carmelo comes to Indiana.

I imagine we will try and move some of our expiring contracts this summer or at the trade deadline to get more picks or a player. All I want to see us do is move some expiring contracts and get someone like Lawson or Collison and I think we have something to build on.

EDIT:

Pizzaguy I hope you are kidding. I do not see any of the big names really want to come to Indiana when they have the pick of the litter. Why would Bosh pick us over Miami? I do not want to pay Joe Johnson or Boozer max money. Dirk and Paul would be itnersting, but I bet they re-sign with their teams. No way we get Lebron or Wade.

Just because they don't wanna come to Indy doesn't mean you don't try. David Kahn is gonna try and get some of those free agents, and Minnesota, with it's boring atmosphere and cold *** winters, is surely no competition for a NY, L.A., South Beach, or NJ. But yet, he has said he will still TRY. TRYING....is always good, to let the fanbase know you actually give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by NYentre View Post
    We have a glut of expiring contracts which would equal over $50 million in salary in 2011, in a 2011 free agent class that minus Durant and Carmelo should they sign extensions with their respective teams, would be a lame *** free agent class. And all we're doing is pursuing Jordan Farmar and Kyle Lowry?

Do you understand the advantages of being under the cap? Do you understand the ramifications of going over the LT to get a FA? Do you understand the Pacers are financially losing millions of $ each year, and 20 mil last season? What is it you are expecting the Pacers to do with all the limitations they currently have?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post

EDIT:

I like it in Indiana, why wouldn't they? I'm mostly kidding, but hey, I'd be in favor of them doing something like that. Of course, Bird and Morway would probably get awarded GM of the Year and possibly Man of the Decade if they landed one of those guys in Indiana. LoL

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Banned

Exclamation Re: So let me get this straight...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Do you understand the advantages of being under the cap? Do you understand the ramifications of going over the LT to get a FA? Do you understand the Pacers are financially losing millions of $ each year, and 20 mil last season? What is it you are expecting the Pacers to do with all the limitations they currently have?

Expring contracts give you the luxury of a sign and trade. And it's not like they need Bosh, Lebron, and Wade, or and Amar'e, they could swing a deal for Chris Paul, or Bosh or Amar'e and still atleast make the playoffs. You can't tell me that a package of Murphy, Rush, next years 1st rd pick, and maybe Foster or Dunleavy couldn't atleast get Toronto to listen. Especially considering Rush is cheap and young, and the others all have expirings. Yeah, I know Indy has money issues now, but look at it this way, the 2011 free agent class is total suck. Beyond Jamal Crawford (MAYBE), I see no one worth a max deal. So doing a S&T for Amar'e or Bosh would make sense.

Plus, in 2011, we'd still have leftover cap room to aybe sign a Jamal Crawford. But the problem is, we need to have stars this season to lure people next season. And a nucleus of Hibbert, Granger, Bosh/Amar'e, George would lure more intrigue than a nucleis of Hibbert, Granger, Rush, George, and a bunch of money that would probably end up going to just one guy. That's why no one is signing with the Knicks right now, because they know for all the cash they have, they have no talent outside of Eddie House and Galinari. And David Lee is also on the way out.

So if we use our glut of expirings in a S&T, to land a Bosh, Amar'e or Chris Paul, we will still have one or two leftover expiring deals to pay some talented guy next season. Who will want to come here because of the Danny and Chris or Danny and Bosh or Danny and Amar'e tandem. And wehn you combine Murphy and Dunleavy's money, I'm pretty sure it'd be enough to pay Bosh or Amar'e without going over the LT. Murphy's contract is frikkin huge, and Dunleavy's isn't a small chip itself. Even in Larry can't swing any of these deals, wouldn't hurt to try, that's for sure. We won't get Lebron or Wade, but hell try for S&T with Bosh, Amar'e, Boozer! Utah to Indiana, hell Indiana is a better place to live than Utah! Atleast they've got that going for them.

At this point, I'd even consider landing Ray Allen in a S&T a plus. Atleast we have a second perimeter threat.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I've been saying all along that we're the dark horse in the FA race. S&T baby, S&T.

Alternating black and green because I can't decide if I'm entirely joking...

--pizza
    I don't think this really makes sense. Why would you S&T for expirings when you could just let the FA go and have the cap space anyways? Unless the other team figures Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy in their long term plans...

Banned

Cool Re: So let me get this straight...

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo View Post
    I don't think this really makes sense. Why would you S&T for expirings when you could just let the FA go and have the cap space anyways? Unless the other team figures Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy in their long term plans...

Because the other team wants cap space. For example, if someone offers New Orleans a trade deal for Chris Paul, and Indiana comes in and says we'll give you Murphy, Foster, Rush, and TJ for Paul and Okafor, the Hornets take our deal because when Murphy comes off the books in the summer of 2011 along with the other guys (except Rush), New Orleans gets a ton of caproom in 2011 to get free agents to pair with Collison, Rush, Peja, etc. Or just stay udner the cap altogether and wait for another season like 2012.

I don't understand. The reason we have all the space next season is because we're so up against it this season. We have no room to sign anyone. What exactly are you wanting to see?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

Banned

Smile Re: So let me get this straight...

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    I don't understand. The reason we have all the space next season is because we're so up against it this season. We have no room to sign anyone. What exactly are you wanting to see?
    I'm talking STRICTLY Sign and Trade. That's what teams with bad records, no attractive city to lure people to sign, and who have expiring contracts do, they do sign and trades for big name guys. You think Ron Mercer, Brad Miller, and Ron Artest would've signed with Indiana out right all those years ago? No. Which is why Donnie traded for all three. Our entire team almost comes off the books in 2011. Surely packaging a glut of expirings could land a Bosh, Amar'e, Chris Paul, etc. Throw in Rush or next years 1st as a sweetener.

Expring contracts give you the luxury of a sign and trade. And it's not like they need Bosh, Lebron, and Wade, or and Amar'e, they could swing a deal for Chris Paul, or Bosh or Amar'e and still atleast make the playoffs. You can't tell me that a package of Murphy, Rush, next years 1st rd pick, and maybe Foster or Dunleavy couldn't atleast get Toronto to listen. Especially considering Rush is cheap and young, and the others all have expirings. Yeah, I know Indy has money issues now, but look at it this way, the 2011 free agent class is total suck. Beyond Jamal Crawford (MAYBE), I see no one worth a max deal. So doing a S&T for Amar'e or Bosh would make sense.

Plus, in 2011, we'd still have leftover cap room to aybe sign a Jamal Crawford. But the problem is, we need to have stars this season to lure people next season. And a nucleus of Hibbert, Granger, Bosh/Amar'e, George would lure more intrigue than a nucleis of Hibbert, Granger, Rush, George, and a bunch of money that would probably end up going to just one guy. That's why no one is signing with the Knicks right now, because they know for all the cash they have, they have no talent outside of Eddie House and Galinari. And David Lee is also on the way out.

So if we use our glut of expirings in a S&T, to land a Bosh, Amar'e or Chris Paul, we will still have one or two leftover expiring deals to pay some talented guy next season. Who will want to come here because of the Danny and Chris or Danny and Bosh or Danny and Amar'e tandem. And wehn you combine Murphy and Dunleavy's money, I'm pretty sure it'd be enough to pay Bosh or Amar'e without going over the LT. Murphy's contract is frikkin huge, and Dunleavy's isn't a small chip itself. Even in Larry can't swing any of these deals, wouldn't hurt to try, that's for sure. We won't get Lebron or Wade, but hell try for S&T with Bosh, Amar'e, Boozer! Utah to Indiana, hell Indiana is a better place to live than Utah! Atleast they've got that going for them.

At this point, I'd even consider landing Ray Allen in a S&T a plus. Atleast we have a second perimeter threat.

I started to read your post, but when I saw it didn't answer my questions
    in my response to your thread I just quit reading it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Because the other team wants cap space. For example, if someone offers New Orleans a trade deal for Chris Paul, and Indiana comes in and says we'll give you Murphy, Foster, Rush, and TJ for Paul and Okafor, the Hornets take our deal because when Murphy comes off the books in the summer of 2011 along with the other guys (except Rush), New Orleans gets a ton of caproom in 2011 to get free agents to pair with Collison, Rush, Peja, etc. Or just stay udner the cap altogether and wait for another season like 2012.

That's just a trade, not a Sign-and-Trade. Pizza guy was indicating we could be in the running to get some of the FAs because we could give them cap space. But really all we can do is fill their cap space for one year.

You must not be following the news at all. Read through a few of the threads in this forum and your opinion might change. It would appear Bird is going after any breathing point guard and some other players as well

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Maybe he biggest move with the expiring contracts is the Pacers will be able to afford to remain in Indiana?
    If the Pacers don't start getting some excitement and hope back in Conseco the salary of players won't matter... the team still won't be able to afford to stay in Indiana because nobody will care enough to attend games or buy Pacers merchandise.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo View Post
    That's just a trade, not a Sign-and-Trade. Pizza guy was indicating we could be in the running to get some of the FAs because we could give them cap space. But really all we can do is fill their cap space for one year.
    Yeah, you're right. The only way that makes sense is the team wants to get some player(s) in exchange for their star, instead of just letting them walk. Then next year they make a run at 'Melo or Durant. There would have to be some of our young talent in there with it. But for any of those FAs, you'd think Danny and/or Hibbert would have to be involved, and the contract would just be filler to keep that team's financials in good shape. Whereas making deadline deals with our expirings makes the contract the main piece, and obviously more valuable.

I don't think the Pacers have any chance at all at doing something like that. But, hey, it'd be an awesome deal for the Pacers!

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake