Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: im tired of player hype

Default im tired of player hype

OK when are we going to get over this notion that we need to build around Granger. How long has he been on our team? How many times have we been to the playoffs in that time? In an eastern conference that consists of 4 or 5 consistent playoff teams a year, I think it's a pretty weak conference. Definitely not as strong as the west. So with that being said if Granger was the dominant superstar that a lot of people are so set to believe then why can't he get us to the playoffs in a weak conference. Have we even had a 500 record with him, OMG it's hard to even keep up with the dreadful pacers anymore, all I hear is how DG is getting his shots and stats, come on it's time to rethink our strategy and put DG on a leash this year and get the whole team involved because that's how we can win, as a team, right.
    Last edited by hans023; 06-30-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: im tired of player hype

I don't know that anyone believes DG is the end-all be-all, superstar player that can win it all by himself. Those guys are named Kobe and LeBron. And even those two can't do it alone.

Most of us would like to see DG stay here in Indy and be a central part of the team as we rebuild and work toward respectability and success. However, I think it's general consensus that if trading DG could land us a big name, serious superstar, that's the price you pay.

Personally, I'd like to get our "Jordan" so DG can be our "Pippen." If we can't do that, then we need to find our "Ray Allen" and "Kevin Garnett" so that DG can be our "Paul Pierce."

I hope what I'm trying to say is coming across. None of us think he's the best player in the league. But we all know that he's the best player on the Pacers. So, using DG as a starting point, we'd like to build around him towards a contender. It only makes sense to do it that way because, well, we already have DG.

As far as putting him on a leash...not sure I quite understand that. You want to take our best player, our All-Star, and tell him to let TJ Ford and Troy Murphy take more shots? No thanks. DG is a team player, but the rest of his team sucks.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

i mean...nobodys holding up a gun to your head telling you to follow the pacers..
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by hans023 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK when are we going to get over this notion that we need to build around Granger. How long has he been on our team? How many times have we been to the playoffs in that time? In an eastern conference that consists of 4 or 5 consistent playoff teams a year, I think it's a pretty weak conference. Definitely not as strong as the west. So with that being said if Granger was the dominant superstar that a lot of people are so set to believe then why can't he get us to the playoffs in a weak conference. Have we even had a 500 record with him, OMG it's hard to even keep up with the dreadful pacers anymore, all I hear is how DG is getting his shots and stats, come on it's time to rethink our strategy and put DG on a leash this year and get the whole team involved because that's how we can win, as a team, right.
    I don't think anyone here would say Granger is dominant Superstar, but in my opinion he is a nice player to have in your core. If we can somehow, get a starting caliber PG and a veteran PF with Granger then I think we are in business and the playoffs would come. The problem has been no one else can score like Granger on the team. He needs help!

To answer why we haven't been to the playoffs, ask Murphy, Dun, and Ford with their overpaid deals. Their play hasn't made us better, in fact they have been weighing us down with their contracts. I don't think you can blame Granger for us not making the playoffs, he has given us everything he can from a scoring perspective and has improved his scoring every year except for last year. My only want with Granger is for him to get back to the defense he was playing a couple years ago. He needs help! If Dun hadn't of got hurt I think we might have made the playoffs. But the most glaring reason, IMO is our PG situation. We have been moving players in and out of the position since the Tinsley mess. I liked what Jack was doing for us the 08/09 season and wish we could have kept him. If we improve that position and get a solid PF, we all might be talking playoffs this fall.
    Last edited by odeez; 06-30-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Your name is Hans, and you're complaining about player hype?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

We'd have to build a solid team around Danny to find out how Danny would fare with a team built around around him.

As long as he's being asked to shoot 3's early and often... and in a system that devalues defense and does not value each possession even in context of game situations... and a system that minimizes not only his own talent but the talent around him (and in some cases that talent can't afford much minimizing) then I think arguing that Danny is failing with a team built around him is missing the bigger picture.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Your name is Hans, and you're complaining about player hype?

nice image!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Have we even had a 500 record with him
    Yes.

Danny Granger is arguably a top 5-10 SF in the NBA. He can consistently put up 25 ppg and can play well above average defense. I know last year he slacked off on his defense, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of play good defense. He might not be one of the top players who you can build your team around, but we aren't going to get anyone better than him. We won't get Carmelo Anthony next year or any of the top free agents this year. Danny is not a player who can single handedly dominate a game for a whole season. He needs help. He hasn't had that type of help since he was drafted. He needs someone to help take some of the load off of him. Maybe George will be that guy.
    Maybe we won't ever get those pieces to put around Granger, and we need to cut our loses and trade him for the best offer we can get.
    I'm not against trading Granger. I would do it for the right deal, but if we somehow get Collison or even Hill our team will improve greatly.
    If Granger is still on our roster next season I hope he comes back with the same defensive intensity that he had a couple of years ago.

Who else are we going to try to build around? Travis Diener? He's gone?!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who else are you going to build around? Troy Murphy? DG is our best player and is one of the better SF in the game when he is healthy. He is not an elite player in the league, but he is a very good player who can be one of the key players to our team. We have an improving center, a great SF and that is about it. So what do you expect from this team? They are in rebuilding mode so they are not going to be winning a bunch of games and being a perennial playoff team even in the weak Eastern conference.

So what kind of strategy do you think the pacers need to implement since building around DG is such a horrible idea?

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Who else are you going to build around? Troy Murphy? DG is our best player and is one of the better SF in the game when he is healthy. He is not an elite player in the league, but he is a very good player who can be one of the key players to our team. We have an improving center, a great SF and that is about it. So what do you expect from this team? They are in rebuilding mode so they are not going to be winning a bunch of games and being a perennial playoff team even in the weak Eastern conference.

So what kind of strategy do you think the pacers need to implement since building around DG is such a horrible idea?
    Get a coach who understands how to design inside/outside plays, and makes the PF keep his butt in the paint with our defensive-minded, old-skool center.

Banned

if you are tired of players hype you should stop watching any professional sport

Your telling me that Granger doesn't go out there for personal stats then your all lying to yourself. When first joining the pacers he said i'm gonna be an all-star, not i'm gonna help my team get to the playoffs and guess what, he has succeeded. whoohoo and the player hype was also with JO we all know how that turned out, I see some similarities with DG, i'm just tired of hearing about how the rest of the team sucks blahblahblah DG's not making anybody better around him because theres no ball movement when hes on the floor, tell me why that is. To build around someone in particular that person needs to make his teammates better, now that doesn't work with a "look to shoot person first", refer to Reggie Miller's comments, he states that DG is getting good personal stats, but what is he doing for his team.
    Last edited by hans023; 06-30-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Your telling me that Granger doesn't go out there for personal stats then your all lying to yourself. When first joining the pacers he said i'm gonna be an all-star, not i'm gonna help my team get to the playoffs and guess what, he has succeeded. whoohoo
    Somebody is drinking the Haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Return to Glory View Post
    Somebody is drinking the Haterade.
    No actually i've been a pacer fan for 25 years and I really would like to see them succeed.

Really? So, you think that Granger has never said anything to the effect of wanting to help his team win, in the 5 season he's been here? Really?

Put him on any halfway decent team. Heck, I'll take him on the pistons in a heartbeat. We'd be back in the playoffs, easily.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Really? So, you think that Granger has never said anything to the effect of wanting to help his team win, in the 5 season he's been here? Really?

Put him on any halfway decent team. Heck, I'll take him on the pistons in a heartbeat. We'd be back in the playoffs, easily.
    On the court he really concentrates on getting stats, I know that for sure. And ya the pistons are as bad as the pacers so how would that be any different with granger

Take Granger off the Pacers, and the Pistons look like the 1986 Celtics by comparison. He's the best player on Indiana by a canyon-sized margin. He's the one player that's already good on a team of players that might be good someday.

And yes, Granger piles up a lot of stats. Name me a superstar that doesn't.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-30-2010 at 06:51 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post

Thats my whole point einstein, we don't have anybody to build around so why try to, trade Granger for a PG or let him be a roll player and let our young guys grow, if he's out there shooting it every time then the ball isn't being moved and that's bad basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Take Granger off the Pacers, and the Pistons look like the 1986 Celtics by comparison. He's the best player on Indiana by a canyon-sized margin. He's the one player that's already good on a team of players that might be good someday.

And yes, Granger piles up a lot of stats. Name me a superstar that doesn't.
    Are you really serious or just being sarcastic...I hope the second cause if not??

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thats my whole point einstein, we don't have anybody to build around so why try to, trade Granger for a PG or let him be a roll player and let our young guys grow, if he's out there shooting it every time then the ball isn't being moved and that's bad basketball.
    Odd last year I thought there was plenty of stretches Danny wasn't getting the ball enough... our PG's wouldn't even look for him... so I really don't know what you are watching.

Also he was working on his passing game, when our coaches actually got the ball movement and (even more important) player movement w/o the ball point through our players heads Danny had games of 4-6 assists... just oddly movement doesn't seem to be a priority on JoB's list...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Danny is a wing player. He is supposed to score . He isn't a PG.

I think this guy is confusing Jim O'Briens shortcomings in coaching philosophy, for Danny's shortcomings as a player.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hereby give hans023 my vote for 2011 PacersDigest Sunshiner of the Year.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

cgg