Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you give up to get Carmelo?

Default What would you give up to get Carmelo?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...trade_carmelo/

I put this thread up with the thought of why would you ever let a player like Carmelo go anywhere? I guess the Nuggets are being proactive indeed. The Nuggets have offered an extension, but Melo has been sitting with it for awhile with no word. So I thought I would ask you here at PD what would you give up to get him? Would you want him at all?
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Default Re: What would you give up to get Carmelo?

In a vacuum, anything. But of course, one would have to weigh the risk of him leaving when his contract up, which is pretty massive.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nothing.

The Nuggets won't trade him.
    He will cost too much.
    He will leave when his contract is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a vacuum, anything. But of course, one would have to weigh the risk of him leaving when his contract up, which is pretty massive.
    Right, so I should add signing him to an extension would be a must in any deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Nothing.

The Nuggets won't trade him.
    He will cost too much.
    He will leave when his contract is up.
    ok

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Right, so I should add signing him to an extension would be a must in any deal.
    If you can sign him to an extension, you give them anything they want. Just like if you can sign Chris Paul to an extension.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Anyone really think Melo would sign long term here? The chances of that happening are similar to the chances Kravitz writes an insightful Pacers article or Conrad Brunner is critical of the team. So that said a 1 yr rental of Anthony is no appealing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Anyone really think Melo would sign long term here? The chances of that happening are similar to the chances Kravitz writes an insightful Pacers article or Conrad Brunner is critical of the team. So that said a 1 yr rental of Anthony is no appealing at all.
    I know right, I thought of that when posting the thread. But then I thought anything is possible...dreaming I know!

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Carmello wouldn't play in indiana.

Sports Logo

I wouldn't give up anything.

IMHO....he's a decent Franchise Player but not a great one. He's the equivalent of Paul Pierce to the Celtics. Pierce was always a very solid All-Star level Player that never really got over the Playoff hump until Ray Allen and KG showed up. With the Nuggets, Carmello was always a great Player to have on the Team...but the Nuggets never really got over whatever hump they were stuck on until Billups showed up.

Personally, I think he's a very solid Player....better in some respects than Granger...but not a Player that I would say that I would give up the farm to get. I'd rather use whatever assets that would cost us to get a Player like Carmello and continue to build around Granger.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-30-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

IMHO....he's a decent Franchise Player but not a great one. He's the equivalent of Paul Pierce to the Celtics. Pierce was always a very solid All-Star level Player that never really got over the Playoff hump until Ray Allen and KG showed up. With the Nuggets, Carmello was always a great Player to have on the Team...but the Nuggets never really got over whatever hump they were stuck on until Billups showed up.

Personally, I think he's a very solid Player....better in some respects than Granger...but not a Player that I would say that I would give up the farm to get. I'd rather use whatever assets that would cost us to get a Player like Carmello and continue to build around Granger.
    Melo, like Pierce, is a multiple time all-star. Before the Nugz acquired him, they were a bottom dweller. With him, they have been a playoff team every single season (and that was before acquiring Billups). He's never missed playoffs in his career. Granger can't make a claim like that.

He's a better player than Granger and if the Nugz ever offered him straight up for Granger, the Pacers would have to do that in a second. I don't understand how someone can say that they wouldn't build around Carmelo because he's very good but not great, yet they would build around Granger, who is older and not as good as Carmelo.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Can't you say that about any "franchise player", even the great ones (which I think Melo is)?

Look at the Lakers with Kobe in between the Shaq and Gasol years: They missed the playoffs the first year and couldn't make it out of the first round the next two. Kobe led the league in scoring those last two years and was pretty much the epitome of a "franchise player", yet they weren't able to get over the hump until Gasol showed up, kind of like the Nuggets didn't become an elite team until Billups arrived....

Look at the Heat with Wade: He has a spectacular season year after year yet Miami hasn't done anything except miss the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round since they won the title in 06. Yet I think every NBA fan would consider Wade a "great" franchise player...

Look at the Cavs with Lebron: In 07, he was able to get them out of a very weak Eastern Conference. But once teams like Boston and Orlando became elite he couldn't get out of the east, mainly because the Cavs just don't have the personal to beat those teams in a playoff series.

I think he's better than Granger in pretty much every aspect of the game. You can win a title with Carmello Anthony as your best player - he just needs some solid pieces around him like any other elite star. Can you say that about Granger though? He hasn't even been able to lead a team to the postseason. Like DC pointed out, Melo has been to the playoffs *every* season, leading some not-so-spectacular Denver teams to the playoffs in the loaded west.

As to the original question posed in the thread: I wouldn't trade anything for Carmello right now because he would bolt in a heartbeat next summer. We'd have to give up the farm to get him here right now so he wouldn't have much to play with here and would no doubt be eager to leave in 2011. Then we would be left with absolutely nothing.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Melo, like Pierce, is a multiple time all-star. Before the Nugz acquired him, they were a bottom dweller. With him, they have been a playoff team every single season (and that was before acquiring Billups). He's never missed playoffs in his career. Granger can't make a claim like that.

He's a better player than Granger and if the Nugz ever offered him straight up for Granger, the Pacers would have to do that in a second. I don't understand how someone can say that they wouldn't build around Carmelo because he's very good but not great, yet they would build around Granger, who is older and not as good as Carmelo.
    Sorry, I just completely disagree. If Melo signed an extension I would be all for it. But like I said, Melo would never sign long term in Indiana. If we gave up Granger for Melo we would be giving up 3 more years of Granger (with the real possibility of him extending) for a one year rental of Melo (with no chance he would extend).

I don't think anyone would argue who the better player is. The long term betterment of the franchise is without question though.

Carmelo is not going to sign with indiana unless we throw a max deal at him and can show him that he would put us over the hump making us a contender. He is 26 an is in his prime. Just like LBJ if he doesn't win a ship in denver this year then he will feel the need to go to a contender or a team with better supporting cast. If he wants to be the featured player on a team and win a ship then he better find that team next year. If he doesn't find that team then he could end up like ray allen and paul pierce. Needing other stars to get him a ship. He will most likely team up with the team that doesn't get 2 of this years top FAs. Lets say the Nets only get Amare or Bosh. Melo would be there Ace in the hole in 2011. Same goes for the Knicks and Bulls.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    Carmelo is not going to sign with indiana unless we throw a max deal at him and can show him that he would put us over the hump making us a contender. He is 26 an is in his prime. Just like LBJ if he doesn't win a ship in denver this year then he will feel the need to go to a contender or a team with better supporting cast. If he wants to be the featured player on a team and win a ship then he better find that team next year. If he doesn't find that team then he could end up like ray allen and paul pierce. Needing other stars to get him a ship. He will most likely team up with the team that doesn't get 2 of this years top FAs. Lets say the Nets only get Amare or Bosh. Melo would be there Ace in the hole in 2011. Same goes for the Knicks and Bulls.
    The thing is we wouldn't be the only team offering Carmelo the max. I don't think that would change things at all.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Melo, like Pierce, is a multiple time all-star. Before the Nugz acquired him, they were a bottom dweller. With him, they have been a playoff team every single season....
    Thanks in large part to Billups!

My own answer would be that I would not give much. I'm just not a fan of his.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    The thing is we wouldn't be the only team offering Carmelo the max. I don't think that would change things at all.
    I prob wasn't as clear as i should have been. We would not be able to get Melo. Many teams can give him a max deal not all can be contenders. Pacers wouldnt be a contender right away. Maybe 2013 at the soonest we could be a contender baring that JOB is gone. God i hope He is gone after this year. I rather have Mark Jackson as our coach and he hasn't even coached yet.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Mood

I'd love to have 'Melo, and would probably give Denver whatever they wanted for him. Odds are he'll resign in Denver from what I've heard, so if he were traded to Indy, what makes you think there's no way he'd stay? It's not like Denver is Miami or LA in terms of night life or whatever. Besides, with all these other teams having cleared cap space for this offseason, we're going to be one of the few with a crap load of space next offseason. If we're able to hold on to a couple nice pieces here to have around 'Melo going forward in the weaker East, maybe he likes his chances to at least get to the Finals here.

I'm not saying it would happen that way, only that it's not entirely inconcievable to think it could happen that way.

That being said, it's a pretty risky move. If there was a way to know ahead of time that he would extend his deal and stay here, it'd be a HUGE step to getting this franchise back on the map. You'd be getting a legitimate super star that would put you in contention every year, and would put more butts in the seats than we've seen in five years. Also, with his star power, you may be able to lure in a PG that can win.

I imagine we'd have to trade Granger, Rush, Murphy's contract, and probably more. I'm not a whiz with the contracts and numbers like some of you, so I'm just putting out a hypothetical here. If that's what we give up, I'd do it right now and then proceed to wine and dine 'Melo every night til he extends with us. If those players were the ones leaving and we could keep Hibbert, George, and Hans, then add 'Melo and Point Guard X, that's a team that would probably be able to compete.

I'd do it and pray like crazy he'd stay.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Thanks in large part to Billups!

My own answer would be that I would not give much. I'm just not a fan of his.
    Melo made the playoffs in each of his first 5 seasons in the league with no Billups.

Mood

Even if it is a one-year rental, I'd still have to think about it. I mentioned that 'Melo is going to put butts in seats, and this franchise could use that maybe more than anything right now. Then if he walks after this season, we've still got crazy cap space to do something with, and we try to hitch our cart to another star, or multiple stars.

I think if you're looking at the financials here, it's almost got to be worth it. And from a competitive standpoint, would you rather go through this year without any more changes and try to see what happens next year? Or, go through this year with 'Melo and see what happens next year?

This isn't like trading Artest for Peja. We were not going to get anything out of Artest, so we dumped him and got nothing out of Peja, and he bolted. Even if 'Melo bolts, we're still going to get something out of him for a season, that better than whatever we're going to get from whoever we trade.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I think he is the best player in the NBA besides Lebron and Kobe. I would do whatever it takes. Of course, that includes an extension. It would be great to have him around for a season, but it would hurt... bad... to see him leave.

I can see how the Nuggets would think about doing a trade now if they were sure Carmello was leaving. Better to get something out of a deal instead of just cap space.

Also he is a restricted free agent next year, and the Pacers will be one of the few teams able to spend the money for a max deal.

It'd be nice, but we do have a pletora of swingmen already...
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    It'd be nice, but we do have a pletora of swingmen already...
    We have no one on the wing that is as good as Melo... in any deal you are going to move some of those players. If there is not room, you make it for a player like Melo, no doubt.

Not gonna happen. End this thread.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Not gonna happen. End this thread.
    + 10000000

end this thread