Thread: Your Daily Dampier Dish

Default Your Daily Dampier Dish

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Dampier meets with Knicks

August 4, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Free agent center Erick Dampier visited the New York Knicks on Wednesday, a team he said would go farther in the playoffs with him on the roster.

But he's still shopping.

The 6-foot-11 veteran has spent the last seven seasons with Golden State and has talked to a few other NBA clubs the past several weeks.

Dampier met with Knicks coach Lenny Wilkens, toured the practice facility with Madison Square Garden and was expected to meet later Wednesday with general manager Isiah Thomas.

The Knicks lost in the first round of the playoffs last season.

``I think with the addition of me, it would definitely make this team better,'' Dampier said.

Dampier averaged 12 rebounds, fourth in the league, and 12.3 points last season. He has also met with the Atlanta Hawks, and said they put an offer on the table.

``We're talking with a few teams,'' Dampier said. ``At this point I don't really know how this situation is going to pan out. It's been a very interesting situation for me over the last couple of weeks just wondering where I'm going to be.''

Dampier said he may be ready to consider a one-year, mid-level contract.

``You get to a certain point in your life where the money's not a factor and you just want to win,'' he said. ``I'm not getting any younger and I want to be in the playoffs so I have a chance to compete for a championship.''

For the Knicks, the addition of Dampier in the post would give them another big man for the new big man in the conference -- Shaquille O'Neal of the Miami Heat. Dampier said he has had success against O'Neal in the past. The key, he said, is to keep O'Neal from settling in down low.

``I just try to go out and play him hard. Meet him early every time down the floor and not let him get to the position he's most comfortable in,'' Dampier said.

[edit=53=1091716734][/edit]

Default Re: Your Daily Dampier Dish

If he means

Dampier said he may be ready to consider a one-year, mid-level contract.

and

``You get to a certain point in your life where the money's not a factor and you just want to win,'' he said.

Then he'd be foolish not to consider Indiana and we'd be foolish not to push for him.

You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

We took ourself out of the MLE running when we gave AJ half of it - the only way for us to get him is a trade.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

When's Scot Pollard's contract up?

RealGM says he as one year left. HoopsHype, 2.

Err. Wait. I think the RealGM means he as one year after this one.

Oh well, if his contract was ending, I bet GS would do the sign and trade for him.
    [edit=22=1091718850][/edit]
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When's Scot Pollard's contract up?
    2 years. This season, and the next.

Hmmmm....two years may not be bad though. I seem to remember reading somewere the GS was looking to not be a player next year in the free agent market so much as to be a player in two years. One name comes to mind : Yao Ming.

Pollard would be off the books then.

Just a thought...

Outsider

Not sure if this has been posted yet...It's featured on ESPN.COM's front page.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1855781

Jermaine O'Neal is looking for help. There's no need for a want ad, though, because the Indiana Pacers' All-Star forward already has someone in mind for the job.

Someone like center Erick Dampier.

"We've talked an awful lot this summer," O'Neal said of Dampier in a Q&A with the Indianapolis Star. "I told him he should do a one-year deal.

"The only option out there for him is Atlanta. It's his judgment call. He understands we'd love to have him."

Dampier has a six-year, $50 million offer waiting for him in Atlanta, but the 30-year-old wants to join a contender after enduring eight lottery seasons at Golden State.

Dampier, drafted 10th overall by Indiana in 1996, hoped to join the Knicks as part of a sign-and-trade deal, but the Warriors refuse to take on salary to accommodate their former starting center's wishes. Dampier's only option with New York now is to sign for what's left of the Knicks' mid-level exception. According to the agent of Vin Baker, $3.5 million of the $4.9 million mid-level exception will go to Baker.

O'Neal would like to have the 6-foot-11, 270-pound Dampier do the dirty work inside for the Pacers, who were overwhelmed by Detroit's frontcourt in their Eastern Conference finals loss, to "be the guy who's guarding the best post guy or trying to score every time." Another All-Star named O'Neal fits that description in Miami.

"I'd love to play weak side and go get a couple of offensive rebounds and do stuff like that rather than coming down and having to bang against everybody and try to get the ball in there and score," O'Neal said. "That's hard on you.

"I've been begging (Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh) and those guys, 'Please get a big guy. Please get a big guy.' My back won't be hurting as much, my legs won't be hurting. I love Jeff Foster ... but we also have to have another big guy."