View Poll Results: Would You Be Fans of the *Insert City Here" Pacers?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 20.24%
  • No

57 67.86%
  • Yes, but not as diehard as now

10 11.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Pacers Relocate

Default If the Pacers Relocate

Would you still be fans?

This poll isn't to debate whether they will or not, just wondered if you all would still be Pacers fans if they did leave. Also, if the answer is no, would you find another NBA team to follow, or leave the NBA altogether?

Default Re: If the Pacers Relocate

jeez, what a downer thread man!

It would be a huge blow to the city and all us die hard fans.

That said I would always love the Pacers, until a new team came to Indy. It would **** me off that I would have to get NBA league pass to watch the games.

But more than that it would seem like a betrayal of all the fans who have held on to season tickets for 30 plus years. It would be hard to get over that.

i would not be a fan. I mean there would be no point. I would probably become a Bulls or Cavs fan.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not only would I not be a fan, but the NBA would dead to me.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bridge For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Depends on how connected I was to the current players, but giving the state of the current roster and the potential for high turnover, I'm guessing that wouldn't last long.

Before the Colts came to Indy I was a big Patriots nut actually. From about 77 to 87. But as the Colts started to become familiar to me and the Pats I loved started to move on that feeling changed. The uniform change and Irving Fryar getting sliced by his wife really helped run me off for good. By the time Coates/Bledsoe settled in I loathed that team more than the Cowboys.

I have no allegiance to the Baltimore Colts guys to this day, and I guess this would be the reverse with the Pacers. I'd love the past but within a few years I'd come to not care about the moved version, and possibly even hate them.

Not likely. To be a die hard fan, and for them to just up and leave like that would really be a big blow.

I probably wouldn't even watch the NBA anymore at that point.

Mood

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you still be fans?

This poll isn't to debate whether they will or not, just wondered if you all would still be Pacers fans if they did leave. Also, if the answer is no, would you find another NBA team to follow, or leave the NBA altogether?

You'll get a better idea on how posters feel if you check the archives for this exact type thread that was done earlier in the year. It's probably under a thread title something like "if the Pacers move".

I guess it depends on how they leave. If it's a Mayflower situation then I won't be a fan.

If it's a situation where the City was stubborn, then I'd still root for the guys, of course not as diehard, but casually, simply b/c I've grown attached to the players and would like to see them do well.

Hopefully that's not the case, b/c I'd hate to be in a Sonics situation where the team relocates right when the franchise is starting to turn it around

Banned

I would probably watch other teams for awhile and then choose the one that plays and coaches like I like to see the game played.

I'd probably be more pissed off at teh city than the team. I don't know though. I was a big fan of Oklahoma City getting a team (a lot of family there) and I might have to migrate that way...

ive been an indy fan this whole time without having been to indy in my entire life i could live with that lol
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

I would not. The only reason I can tolerate the mediocre product that we have is because it's OURS. If they were to up and leave and take that product to another city, why would anyone want to root for a losing team that they don't even have at least a territorial allegiance to?
    Grown Man Ball

lol iunno. i just like them for some reason. i always have.
    im from rochester ny, so its not like its bustling with pro sports, let alone..sports.
    i tried liking the cavs when i went to school in cleveland but that just made me hate them even more and like the pacers more

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I guess it depends on how they leave. If it's a Mayflower situation then I won't be a fan.

If it's a situation where the City was stubborn, then I'd still root for the guys, of course not as diehard, but casually, simply b/c I've grown attached to the players and would like to see them do well.

Hopefully that's not the case, b/c I'd hate to be in a Sonics situation where the team relocates right when the franchise is starting to turn it around
    The city built them a new sports palace, to their specs, and let them use it all year for 1.00 per year while also letting them have all profits off it year round. And all they have to pay are the operating costs to run their business.

If the Pacers move, it won't be because the city was stubborn. It will be because pro sports has an unsustainable business model that requires government support to survive.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I would not. The only reason I can tolerate the mediocre product that we have is because it's OURS. If they were to up and leave and take that product to another city, why would anyone want to root for a losing team that they don't even have at least a territorial allegiance to?
    I was just thinking about this the other day... If the Pacers were some far off team none of us had any territorial allegiance to... not only would we not follow them I don't think, but how many of us would be making fun of the team, management, and coaching?

Right now it's hard to make fun of any NBA team because people in glass houses....

Of course if we didn't have our own other NBA team to root for (and the Pacers were elsewhere), would the current iteration of the Pacers even warrant a blip on the radar to care enough about to even make fun of?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I prolly wouldn't watch more than 2 games a year and those would be Utah Jazz games.

Basically, I find the NBA to be lousy basketball.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The bi-annual question that never ends.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I prolly wouldn't watch more than 2 games a year and those would be Utah Jazz games.

Basically, I find the NBA to be lousy basketball.
    would lose all interest and become a much bigger college basketball fan. much like baseball, i just dont have the interest b/c there is no team here in Indy.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

I probably would follow the Thunder, the Bulls, and the Magic more closely, or whatever team ends up being good while not having Lebron or Kobe playing for them. I also would probably somewhat follow whatever team Carlisle is coaching because I know I would be seeing solid fundamental basketball.

Everything, energy, love, money spent, games I go to would all translate to Indiana University. Who knows I might even start a weblog about the greed of pro sports holding cities hostage.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to aceace For This Useful Post:

I've been a Magic fan since i don't know when. I remember being confused as heck when there were so many lead changes in the final seconds of the playoff game where Smits hit the game winning shot. The Gold half of my heart was cheering and the Blue side was sad.

I would probably become a Bulls fan. But I wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of devotion that I have to the Pacers.

wow
    well i sure hope the pacers stay in indy then

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Sick of answering this question.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post: