Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darren Collison says he might be next on trading block

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Darren Collison says he might be next on trading block

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ren_col_5.html

By John Reid, The Times Picayune

Shortly after New Orleans Hornets point guard Darren Collison described how Cole Aldrich's defensive presence in the post would be a big help for the Hornets this upcoming season, it was announced they had traded the 11th pick in Thursday night's draft to the Oklahoma City Thunder, along with guard Morris Peterson, for two first-round picks.
    The move further proves to Collison that the Hornets are going to be active in exploring potential trades, and he could be the next player sent elsewhere. General Manager Jeff Bower declined to comment Thursday on any trade rumors.

“I don’t know if I’m going to be a Hornet, ” Collison said before meeting with fans at the Hornets’ draft party in Mandeville. “I like it here, but things don’t work out that way. This is a business, and I’m starting to understand it.”

Collison thought he was traded last week to the Indiana Pacers after receiving a voicemail message from a reporter seeking comment about the rumored trade. Collison said he quickly called his agent, who told him he was still with the Hornets.
    “I’m not going to lie, it’s a little distracting, ” Collison said. “After a good year, you expect good things to happen. It is what it is, and we have a lot of different issues on the team that we want to fix. I’m certain management is going to fix that. All I can do is focus on myself and whatever happens, happens.”

Collison, who was the Hornets’ first-round pick in 2009, had a fabulous rookie season, averaging 12.7 points and 5.8 assists in 76 games, starting 37 in place of injured three-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul.

There are several teams, including the Pacers, who think Collison can continue to emerge as an effective starter instead of coming off the bench like he will be expected to do playing behind Paul this upcoming season under first-year coach Monty Williams.
    Earlier this week, Bower admitted that he had been listening to offers for Paul, but owner George Shinn said they will continue to build the team around Paul.

Paul told ESPN.com that his first choice is to stay in New Orleans, but if the Hornets are not committed to winning and trying to get better so they can contend with the two-time defending champion Lakers, Celtics and the league’s other top teams, then he would be open to a trade.

“This is his team, and the team should go as he wants it to go,” Collison said. “I think it’s kind of disrespectable for him to be in trade rumors because he’s done so much for the community, and he’s done so much for the team and for me personally. Wherever he goes or whatever he does in his future, the team needs to have his support. You’re talking about guys’ lives with moving and making adjustments, but trades are part of the business.”

Despite thinking he might be traded, Collison worked the crowd Thursday night. He took pictures, signed autographs and told fans he looked forward to the upcoming season.

“Hopefully, we can all say (current teammates) that we’re all on the same team, ” Collison said. “But I don’t know if it’s going to work out that way.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Darren Collison says he might be next on trading block

Come be a Pacer Darren.

Hopefully he won't come here.

Mood

For the right price I would love Collison. I would do Collison for George straight up if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the right price I would love Collison. I would do Collison for George straight up if I could.
    AGREED.

Well yeah I would think he is on the trading block if the Hornets are going to keep Chris Paul. They need a lot of help but if you are keep Paul you don't need to keep a point guard with good trade value like Collison around.

I tend to disagree here. While I would love Collison as much as anyone here, I still feel a bit like he's a product of his system. I don't know that he is on his way to being an elite point guard. A good starting one, yes. But nothing that's extremely special.

I'd trade Rush who has proven he can't produce, as opposed to George who we need to at least give a chance. Rush already had his, and he wasted it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    I'd trade Rush who has proven he can't produce, as opposed to George who we need to at least give a chance. Rush already had his, and he wasted it.
    If that's the case, why would New Orleans want Rush for Collison?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    A lot of teams still value Rush. Heck, maybe we still do for all I know.

I simply am not a fan of him. I do like his defense though, as do many other teams. The potential is still there, I'm just not keen on waiting an eternity for him to do something. If we trade him and he comes back to destroy us, good for him.

Just because I don't like him doesn't mean everyone else agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Because Rush hasn't proven that he can't produce. All he has proven is that he is inconsistent on the offensive side.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Because Rush hasn't proven that he can't produce. All he has proven is that he is inconsistent on the offensive side.
    That sounds more like what I was attempting to say.

I also want to add:

I would never in a million years be willing to take Okafor and his contract just to get Collison. Chris Paul? Yes. Darren Collison? No.

I am sure the Hornets would want more then Brandon Rush for him but I wouldn't offer much more. Maybe send them Jeff and take back James Posey.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    I tend to disagree here. While I would love Collison as much as anyone here, I still feel a bit like he's a product of his system. I don't know that he is on his way to being an elite point guard. A good starting one, yes. But nothing that's extremely special.

Really though? I mean obviously I would rather trade Rush, but really? You think New Orleans would go for a 3rd year pro 2 guard than has a 1-1 asst/turnover ratio, shoots less than 45% from the field and can't hit 65% of his free throws and will be 25 before next season for an up and coming second year pg that showed lots of promise his rookie year? I really think not.

I am sorry, but Rush won't fetch a whole lot on the open market let alone a guy like Collison. If we want something like Collison we will have to be prepared to pay a price, and the price will certainly be higher than young garbage and/or expiring contracts.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A playoff caliber team with the best PG in the league (creates for other and can score) and another scoring option in West has the ability to be much more patient with Rush's offense, and value his defense till then... (even then with a PG like Paul, Rush doesn't need to be more aggressive creating his own shot, just shoot it whenever Paul finds him)
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

I think this really is the only way we are going to get a young, all-star type point guard. Definetely do not trade George. He has more potential than Collison. Granger, George and Hibbert are the only ones who are untouchable. I'm sure there could be a deal made somewhere in there. Rush + Murphy and a future first rounder for Collison and Peja/Posey
    Murph

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPride33 For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

KingGeorge24, Did you recently change your user name? If so, what was it prior to this one?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    I think this really is the only way we are going to get a young, all-star type point guard. Definetely do not trade George. He has more potential than Collison. Granger, George and Hibbert are the only ones who are untouchable. I'm sure there could be a deal made somewhere in there. Rush + Murphy and a future first rounder for Collison and Peja/Posey
    George has more potential than Collison? Really? What do you base this on?

Also, if Granger, Hibbert and George are untouchable have you resigned yourself to the fact that there will be no major or even mid major moves before the season starts?

streets ahead

Collison thought he was traded last week to the Indiana Pacers after receiving a voicemail message from a reporter seeking comment about the rumored trade. Collison said he quickly called his agent, who told him he was still with the Hornets. “I’m not going to lie, it’s a little distracting, ” Collison said. “After a good year, you expect good things to happen."
    I enjoyed this part. It's like a more polite way of saying "Indiana? NO! WHY ME?!?"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

I think there's still some interest in Rush across the league. The guy plays pretty decent D and has an NBA ready body. If he can be more consistent and figure it all out, he could turn into a pretty decent NBA player.

With that said, I would entertain a Rush plus future pick for Collison. I think given that New Orleans seems to be pretty set on keeping Chris Paul, Collison may want and seek more PT. Hornets get a guy in Rush who can play the 2 and they are building a good young core of Paul, Rush, Poindexter, Brackins, etc.

Pacers get the point they covet and go with the lineup:

Collison, George, Granger, Murphy, Hibbert
    Ford, Jones, Dunleavy, Hansbrough, Foster
    Price, Stephenson, Rolle, McRoberts, Solo

I think that's a team that could grab say a number 6 or 7 seed in the East depending upon how things shake out this summer.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

If I were you guys I wouldnt give up on rush yet. We are going into this thrid season and this is where it really started to click for danny. I have a feeling this is going to be rushs break out year. he has shown signs he can be great. He just needs to put it together

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    KingGeorge24, Did you recently change your user name? If so, what was it prior to this one?
    Ha, yea and it was Evan199.

And I'm not here to stir up the controversy on why would the Hornets want Rush. I simply stated I would rather trade him. I don't believe George is untouchable, I rather listed Rush as my preference, as I'm sure he is for most of you all as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    I think there's still some interest in Rush across the league. The guy plays pretty decent D and has an NBA ready body. If he can be more consistent and figure it all out, he could turn into a pretty decent NBA player.

With that said, I would entertain a Rush plus future pick for Collison. I think given that New Orleans seems to be pretty set on keeping Chris Paul, Collison may want and seek more PT. Hornets get a guy in Rush who can play the 2 and they are building a good young core of Paul, Rush, Poindexter, Brackins, etc.

Pacers get the point they covet and go with the lineup:

Collison, George, Granger, Murphy, Hibbert
    Ford, Jones, Dunleavy, Hansbrough, Foster
    Price, Stephenson, Rolle, McRoberts, Solo

I think that's a team that could grab say a number 6 or 7 seed in the East depending upon how things shake out this summer.
    Agreed. I can't say I agree when people say why would the Hornets want Rush. There is interest throughout the league in him, and teams are looking for a good defender. He still has value, and if he finds his offensive game a bit more, teams will still want him.

Mood

Ok, I am bowing out. This seems to be borderline comical. Some of you are severely undervaluing Collison while overvaluing Rush. Look at the raw numbers ages and impacts on the game. Collison is a MUCH more valuable asset than Rush and it really isn't all that close. New Orleans would have to be absolutely insane to even entertain these thoughts let alone pull the trigger on that deal.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Teams have interest in Rush because they realize his shot is very, very good from the corner 3 (59-114 for 51% from three in the corners). In a functional offense he could emerge as a better scoring, shot blocking and rebounding version of Bruce Bowen.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Ok, I am bowing out. This seems to be borderline comical. Some of you are severely undervaluing Collison while overvaluing Rush. Look at the raw numbers ages and impacts on the game. Collison is a MUCH more valuable asset than Rush and it really isn't all that close. New Orleans would have to be absolutely insane to even entertain these thoughts let alone pull the trigger on that deal.
    I can't disagree with that statement at all. But I think the only reason they entertain it is if the Pacers take back Okafor's contract, which I have a hard time thinking Larry would do.

If we did take back his contract, and offered them an expirer, it's hard to not at least entertain. I still don't know if I pull the deal if I'm the Hornets FO, but I'd at least listen.