Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Chris Paul is available... do the pacers have the pieces?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default If Chris Paul is available... do the pacers have the pieces?

This isn't a trade proposal really, just curious what people's thoughts are. Hopefully this is ok to be on the main forum where more people will see it.

I never felt like this was even a remote possibility until after this draft, but I wonder if a big "upside" guy like Paul George might tip the scale. Perhaps a deal centered around George and Hibbert, Future firsts, and maybe a couple of our other young pieces.

The only reason I think this might even be possible is because of our wealth of expiring contracts, and their appeal to a team that would probably be looking at a full rebuild if they traded Paul. Especially a team that might be looking to cut payroll to eventually sell the team.

We are in a position that we could take on Paul, Okafur, And James Posey's contracts with our expirings. Is there any other team in the league that could do this? Are we in a somewhat unique position here?

The idea of teaming up Granger and Paul is pretty exciting, and the other big contracts we would be getting would all be solid vet contributers, as opposed to just being dead weight contracts.

Thoughts?
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Default Re: If Chris Paul is available... do the pacers have the pieces?

I don't think we have the ability to trade for Paul, but if we do, we'd have to give up Danny.
    That'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are in a position that we could take on Paul, Okafur, And James Posey's contracts with our expirings. Is there any other team in the league that could do this? Are we in a somewhat unique position here?

The idea of teaming up Granger and Paul is pretty exciting, and the other big contracts we would be getting would all be solid vet contributers, as opposed to just being dead weight contracts.

Thoughts?
    I think they would want Granger in with the deal along with 2 future first. I can't see how NO deals Paul but if they do they have to get a all star back for him.

Edit: PiG got to it first but I agree.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

We have no shot at Paul, sadly.

If we could get Paul without giving up Granger or George i would do something gay to Larry Bird.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:

I would like to have him, but I would not give up the ranch to get him. Maybe a couple of the young guys and a first... maybe an expiring contract.

CP has been hurt a little too often for my taste....

If Paul is tradeable, then we definitely have the pieces. The only reason he gets moved is financial. They can take a future first, rights to Lorbek, an expiring and filleR. Heck, I'd give 2-3 expirings and take back Posey/Okafor to get Paul.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any trade involving Granger would be tantamount to rearranging the deck chairs for us. We could probably do it, but I don't see a point unless Granger is not involved.

Quote Originally Posted by pig norton View Post
    I don't think we have the ability to trade for Paul, but if we do, we'd have to give up Danny.
    I think the only way it makes sense is if we are teaming up Granger and Paul.

If NO is truly looking to rebuild and cut salary, they might not want Granger's contract anyway. I think they may be looking to sell.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 06-26-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I think the only way it makes sense is if we are teaming up Granger and Paul.
    IT all depends on what you think of Paul George. Is he Granger or better and can you wait for him to develop like Granger.

One thing is for sure Paul makes average players look good.

I am still operating under the assumption that we have no chance in hell of getting Chris Paul.

However with Shin wanting to dump salary and is not worried about winning in the near future I could see him maybe biting at some of our expirings.

I posted this trade idea in another thread and I still think it would be the best that we could offer (without throwing in Hibbert or Granger). Now the great caveate to this is that under no normal circumstance would any sane owner or G.M. go for this. However if they are wanting to sell the team and shed salary then this may be the type of trade they would look at as this gives them a decent young cheap player, a first round pick and two big expirings and takes an albatross contract off of thier hands.

BTW, this does work per ESPN's trade checker.

Troy Murphy
    T.J. Ford
    Brandon Rush
    1st round pick
    2nd round pick

to New Orleans for

Chris Paul
    Omeka Okafor

You could also still throw in a McBob or Tyler with that to sweeten the deal. Or if they demanded it you could exchange Roy for Brandon, yea for Chris Paul you would have to be willing to do that.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I am still operating under the assumption that we have no chance in hell of getting Chris Paul.

However with Shin wanting to dump salary and is not worried about winning in the near future I could see him maybe biting at some of our expirings.

I posted this trade idea in another thread and I still think it would be the best that we could offer (without throwing in Hibbert or Granger). Now the great caveate to this is that under no normal circumstance would any sane owner or G.M. go for this. However if they are wanting to sell the team and shed salary then this may be the type of trade they would look at as this gives them a decent young cheap player, a first round pick and two big expirings and takes an albatross contract off of thier hands.

Troy Murphy
    T.J. Ford
    Brandon Rush
    1st round pick
    2nd round pick

to New Orleans for

Chris Paul
    Omeka Okafor

You could also still throw in a McBob or Tyler with that to sweeten the deal. Or if they demanded it you could exchange Roy for Brandon, yea for Chris Paul you would have to be willing to do that.

We have enough expirings to take on Posey too. Hell if they are truly insane, we could even take on David West. We could eliminate all of their long term salary in one fell swoop.

My thinking is, I don't know if there is another team in the league that could do this. Everyone else cleared space for free agency this year, and we are the one team with a ton of contracts that expire next year.

In fantasy land... if they threw in David West, I would throw every single available asset we have except Granger. We could trade for NO's entire veteran core + Granger. Thats an instant title contender.

How serious are these guys about cutting salary? If they are, they need to be talking to us.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 06-26-2010 at 01:25 PM.

- ilive4sports

We have enough expirings to take on Posey too. Hell if they are truly insane, we could even take on David West. We could eliminate all of their long term salary in one fell swoop.

My thinking is, I don't know if there is another team in the league that could do this. Everyone else cleared space for free agency this year, and we are the one team with a ton of contracts that expire next year.

In fantasy land... if they threw in David West, I would throw every single available asset we have except Granger. We could trade for NO's entire veteran core + Granger. Thats an instant title contender.

How serious are these guys about cutting salary? If they are, they need to be talking to us.
    Did anyone watch that FA special last night on ESPN? The GM they had on brought up some good points about this years FA class and the upcoming ones. The next CBA will be "very different" and some teams that are getting ready to take on "huge" contracts may be in for a big world of financial hurt. Because he luxury tax is expected to double and maybe even triple per dollar.

He said the Pacers were in "fantastic" shape heading into next year because all of their expiring contracts. He stated that this year is a great FA year but in the future the teams may regret signing all these max players.

For this reason I think the Pacers will hold onto at least 2 of their expiring contracts, and see what happens with the CBA next season.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
    Did anyone watch that FA special last night on ESPN? The GM they had on brought up some good points about this years FA class and the upcoming ones. The next CBA will be "very different" and some teams that are getting ready to take on "huge" contracts may be in for a big world of financial hurt. Because he luxury tax is expected to double and maybe even triple per dollar.

He said the Pacers were in "fantastic" shape heading into next year because all of their expiring contracts. He stated that this year is a great FA year but in the future the teams may regret signing all these max players.

For this reason I think the Pacers will hold onto at least 2 of their expiring contracts, and see what happens with the CBA next season.
    If you can add Chris Paul and keep Granger though you have to do it, contracts be damned. Thats gonna pay for itself in a big way in the long run.

- ilive4sports

If you can add Chris Paul and keep Granger though you have to do it, contracts be damned. Thats gonna pay for itself in a big way in the long run.
    I'm glad you are not running the team.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Troy Murphy
    T.J. Ford
    Brandon Rush
    1st round pick
    2nd round pick

to New Orleans for

Chris Paul
    Omeka Okafor

You could also still throw in a McBob or Tyler with that to sweeten the deal.
    Gov. Mitch should give Eli Lilly a tax incentive to cover the costs of this transaction, because it would do more for the libidos of male and female Pacer fans than any drug currently on the market. Talk about a happy banana!

I think it would take 2 first round picks to land him.

Mood

You'd think we'd have no chance, but as Peck's talking about, if we could offer them a lot of financial relief within 12 months, and we're talking both Paul AND Okafor's contracts, AND we throw in a young prospect (like Rush) AND a future 1st round pick, considering the motivation for even entertaining trading Paul to begin with, that just might get their attention in a serious way.

Going off of the 09-10 salaries, sending them Murphy, Ford, and Rush would/should be close enough for the CBA to take on Paul and Okafor, while adding about $3mm to our cap and of course then subtracting as much from theirs, which should also appeal to them.

Then add in a future 1st pick from our end (which will save us a chunk of that $3mm when that draft arrives and we don't have to pay for that player).

They just might go for that. If it's really all about the $$$, the only way to top our deal is to offer more/better young prospects along with an equal amount of salary savings, or offer expiring contracts of more talented players.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    They just might go for that. If it's really all about the $$$, the only way to top our deal is to offer more/better young prospects along with an equal amount of salary savings, or offer expiring contracts of more talented players.
    I doubt it's going to be just about $$$ the way you just described because then Chris Paul wouldn't have that much more value than guys (with undesirable contracts to boot) like Stephen Jackson and Corey Maggette.
    Last edited by d_c; 06-26-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    If Paul is tradeable, then we definitely have the pieces. The only reason he gets moved is financial. They can take a future first, rights to Lorbek, an expiring and filleR. Heck, I'd give 2-3 expirings and take back Posey/Okafor to get Paul.
    Dream on.
    Trading him would not be for financial reasons. It would be because of Collison being there and a lot cheaper. They can get another all star PLUS for Paul and improve their team instead of having two very good point guards.
    We have the pieces, but it's going to take a lot more than you suggest.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    We have no shot at Paul, sadly.
    I'm not so sure I fully agree with this. I think their ownership and front office is dumb enough to let him go for practically nothing.

If we were to trade for him, it's no more draft picks for a year or 2. We'd still get to keep Granger, though. If moving him is strictly a financial issue, then the last thing they'd want is someone coming in who makes the same amount of money (pretty much) as CP3, and worse off he's nothing going to sell as many tickets.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Talk about a happy banana!
    See post #5.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

26. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

If the Orlando rumors are half way true (though I seriously doubt they are), I'm 100% confident the Pacers could offer a better deal than Nelson and Carter.

Mood

I am pretty sure this is a pipe dream, but I would love a trade scenario where we could keep Danny, George and Hibbert. Everyone else could be part of the trade. If we had to absorb Okafor and Posey why the heck not.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I am pretty sure this is a pipe dream, but I would love a trade scenario where we could keep Danny, George and Hibbert. Everyone else could be part of the trade. If we had to absorb Okafor and Posey why the heck not.
    Even considering the fact that you would be taking on Okafor, I have a hard time seeing someone like Chris Paul being traded as a cap dump. Stephen Jackson and Corey Maggette with their undesirable contracts were traded as cap dumps with relative ease.

It's hard for me to believe that the difference between Stephen Jackson and Chris Paul is Brandon Rush + a 1st round pick.
    Last edited by d_c; 06-26-2010 at 03:17 PM.