Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers considered Stephenson a late 1st rounder?

Default Re: Pacers considered Stephenson a late 1st rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was said about Jamaal Tinsley too.
    Which makes my point, few will argue that when his head was on right Tinsley was an NBA-grade starting point guard. Stephenson likely has NBA-level talent, the risk rests almost exclusively around his mindset and work-ethic. That's what you spend 2nd round picks on.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indyaway For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yes, and he apparently has excellent dustpan-handling skills.
    See, now your avatar goes perfectly with this!

all4pacers

I like all three picks, I followed Stephenson since he was recruited by IU and he is a basketball player with many skills. I thought his attitude would be a problem in college, but not in the NBA as he is willing to work. He is NOT like James White, Stephenson is very skilled, White was just athletic player they hoped to turn in to a basketball player.

I would be tempted to try Stephenson at the point, not normally a passer but I would be interested in trying it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to all4pacers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    The scary part is TPTB gave James White the same kind of props a few years ago, when they said he could just as easily been their pick at 17.

Doesn't do a lot for my confidence in their judging of some of these guys, although with Stephenson, I think some GM's were put off by his ego/past/etc.
    Even bad GM's aren't wrong everytime. Just like good GM's aren't right everytime.

So I'm not scared. And if they are wrong, so what they gave up nothing he doesn't have a guarenteed contract

Gotta Play Big

It seems like every year there is talk about a non-PG playing the position. Let's see. Marquis, Luther Head, Dunleavy...now our second round pick. Just kind of funny IMO...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It seems like every year there is talk about a non-PG playing the position. Let's see. Marquis, Luther Head, Dunleavy...now our second round pick. Just kind of funny IMO...
    i think we might be lacking a pg
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    i think we might be lacking a pg
    Oh, we are probably lacking two PG's. I just find it humorous that anyone under 7 feet with a decent handle gets a try-out around here.

Seriously though, the Pacers need a PG really, really BAD. Expect us to give up something in trade to get a decent one this summer. Don't expect the Pacers to put Stephenson at the helm...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yes he can, ryan reid for magnum rolle!

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Interesting, I still like the pick, but it seems like we couldn't get any deals done that night.. I am happy with the draft, but It makes me wonder if Bird can make a deal at all.

I will continue to be patient.

According to Chad Ford, Stephenson worked his *** off and blew alot of GMS away with his workouts and talent, but everyone was afraid to take a chance on him. If this draft was on talent alone, Stephenson might have been a top 5-10 pick. The guy has incredible talent. And if the Pacers were truely the only people to do there homework on him and thought he was well suited to play for us ( after all the mess in the past ), then i'm pretty excited. If the guy puts in the work, he can be the started SG for the Pacers and a legit steal.

I read the player breakdowns on NBADraft.net. They do a great job. Read his strengths and try to tell me this isnt what the Pacers have severely lacked the past 5 years.

" Strengths: Nineteen year old freshman with an NBA-ready body ... At 6'5 210, has a rare combination of power and quickness ... Completely dominated the New York PSAL, almost single handedly leading Lincoln HS to four titles (Owns the all time scoring record in the State of New York) ... Was often the biggest and strongest guy on the court, and took advantage of it, routinely dismantling opponents using brute force ... Relentless attacker of the basket, seeking out contact and getting to the free throw stripe where he converts at a high % ... Excellent penetrator with a quick first step ... Utilizes change of pace dribbles, cross-overs and spin moves to get into the lane ... Able to slither his way in between small creases ... Superior ball handler with a flare for the dramatic (good or bad) ... Good court vision. Aesthetically pleasing shooting stroke ... Supreme accuracy on pull up J's, especially when dribbling to his left ... "Easy" three point range. Has shown flashes of lock down on the ball defense with his strength and 6'10 wingspan ... Should be an instant fast break running the point at Cincinnati with his rebounding ability ... "Born Ready" has been hyped since day 1 at Lincoln, playing under tremendous pressure and scrutiny every night, even appearing in a documentary about him ..."

I hope the kid gets head on straight. Bird should serve as a good mentor to him. If the guy " gets it ". This is one of the biggest steals in draft history. If not, it's just another failed 2nd round pick. 75% of them are fails anyways.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    According to Chad Ford, Stephenson worked his *** off and blew alot of GMS away with his workouts and talent, but everyone was afraid to take a chance on him. If this draft was on talent alone, Stephenson might have been a top 5-10 pick. The guy has incredible talent. And if the Pacers were truely the only people to do there homework on him and thought he was well suited to play for us ( after all the mess in the past ), then i'm pretty excited. If the guy puts in the work, he can be the started SG for the Pacers and a legit steal.

I read the player breakdowns on NBADraft.net. They do a great job. Read his strengths and try to tell me this isnt what the Pacers have severely lacked the past 5 years.

" Strengths: Nineteen year old freshman with an NBA-ready body ... At 6'5 210, has a rare combination of power and quickness ... Completely dominated the New York PSAL, almost single handedly leading Lincoln HS to four titles (Owns the all time scoring record in the State of New York) ... Was often the biggest and strongest guy on the court, and took advantage of it, routinely dismantling opponents using brute force ... Relentless attacker of the basket, seeking out contact and getting to the free throw stripe where he converts at a high % ... Excellent penetrator with a quick first step ... Utilizes change of pace dribbles, cross-overs and spin moves to get into the lane ... Able to slither his way in between small creases ... Superior ball handler with a flare for the dramatic (good or bad) ... Good court vision. Aesthetically pleasing shooting stroke ... Supreme accuracy on pull up J's, especially when dribbling to his left ... "Easy" three point range. Has shown flashes of lock down on the ball defense with his strength and 6'10 wingspan ... Should be an instant fast break running the point at Cincinnati with his rebounding ability ... "Born Ready" has been hyped since day 1 at Lincoln, playing under tremendous pressure and scrutiny every night, even appearing in a documentary about him ..."

I hope the kid gets head on straight. Bird should serve as a good mentor to him. If the guy " gets it ". This is one of the biggest steals in draft history. If not, it's just another failed 2nd round pick. 75% of them are fails anyways.
    I wish I shared your optimism about Stephenson. I agree that he was a good pick at #40 and worth the relatively low risk there. I think he's got a lot of potential. But I still see lots of immaturity from him and worry a bit about his personality. He seems to think he's destined to be an All-Star in a few years and it sounded like he was making a lot of excuses for his history of pouting and slacking off on defense. I'm also not so fond of some of his AND 1 antics. Maybe this is all because he's so young, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I'm obviously not alone considering so many passed on him. I actually feel a bit more confident about Rolle to be honest. And there's no way I'm going to agree that he is a top 5 to 10 talent. James Anderson was picked at 20, and I would have Anderson rated higher than Stephenson even if character was completely ignored. If Stephenson has his head screwed on right, he can definitely be a steal at #40, but he would not be considered a lottery pick compared to the other players in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I wish I shared your optimism about Stephenson. I agree that he was a good pick at #40 and worth the relatively low risk there. I think he's got a lot of potential. But I still see lots of immaturity from him and worry a bit about his personality. He seems to think he's destined to be an All-Star in a few years and it sounded like he was making a lot of excuses for his history of pouting and slacking off on defense. I'm also not so fond of some of his AND 1 antics. Maybe this is all because he's so young, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I'm obviously not alone considering so many passed on him. I actually feel a bit more confident about Rolle to be honest. And there's no way I'm going to agree that he is a top 5 to 10 talent. James Anderson was picked at 20, and I would have Anderson rated higher than Stephenson even if character was completely ignored. If Stephenson has his head screwed on right, he can definitely be a steal at #40, but he would not be considered a lottery pick compared to the other players in this draft.
    I'm not sure why you would rate James Anderson over Stephenson on talent.

"Weaknesses: Lack of ball handling skills really constricts his game ... He is not comfortable creating offense for himself or teammates ... Appears hesitant with the ball in his hands with a lack of ingenuity ... Despite his athletic gifts, does not look "smooth" when forced to make a basketball move ... Drives to the basket are predominantly to his left ... Unable to change directions with the rock ... Dribbles with his head down ... Turnovers (2 per game for his career) and offensive fouls have been a problem ... Not a particularly adept passer (1.3 ast per game) ... His basketball IQ needs work ... He's a natural shooter, but not a natural basketball player ... Could certainly stand to add some bulk, which would aid his ball handling woes ... Knocked off balance too easily on drives ... Despite improved aggression, still spends too much time floating around the perimeter, especially in crunch time. Needs to augment his mid-range game. "

Read his strengths and try to tell me this isnt what the Pacers have severely lacked the past 5 years.
    I can't say the Pacers have ever lacked for any players getting post draft hype. ...But we've sure lacked on any of it panning out (The list pretty much starts and ends with Granger this past decade).

But color me intrigued to see how this one goes.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If all that is true, I think we just drafted Michael Jordan.

I hope he turns out to be as good as the real sunshiners say he will be. If not, at pick #40 it's worth the risk.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

interesting
    wikipedia seems to think that Stephenson died of a cocaine overdose following the NBA draft. Len Bias much?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

That is very strange...hope it's not real.

"Weaknesses: Lack of ball handling skills really constricts his game ... He is not comfortable creating offense for himself or teammates ... Appears hesitant with the ball in his hands with a lack of ingenuity ... Despite his athletic gifts, does not look "smooth" when forced to make a basketball move ... Drives to the basket are predominantly to his left ... Unable to change directions with the rock ... Dribbles with his head down ... Turnovers (2 per game for his career) and offensive fouls have been a problem ... Not a particularly adept passer (1.3 ast per game) ... His basketball IQ needs work ... He's a natural shooter, but not a natural basketball player ... Could certainly stand to add some bulk, which would aid his ball handling woes ... Knocked off balance too easily on drives ... Despite improved aggression, still spends too much time floating around the perimeter, especially in crunch time. Needs to augment his mid-range game. "
    You posted Anderson's weaknesses and Stephenson's strengths. That doesn't make much sense to me if you are trying to compare them. Regardless, almost everyone would rate Anderson ahead of Stephenson. Certainly every NBA team did.

Banned

So why don't you post Stephensons weakness's then. (it's as ugly as any player I've read)

Bird should serve as a good mentor to him.

That's probably one of the funniest things I read on this board when you consider the following players

Shawne Williams
    James White
    Jamal Tinsley
    Ron Artest( SI picture cover)
    Stephon Jackson

He either didn't mentor them when needed or he isn't a good mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    That's probably one of the funniest things I read on this board when you consider the following players

Shawne Williams
    James White
    Jamal Tinsley
    Ron Artest( SI picture cover)
    Stephon Jackson

He either didn't mentor them when needed or he isn't a good mentor.
    You can't train a bear to drive a car....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

How are Stepenson's PG skills...........I can see him running the point..........tall, long and atheletic..... kind of like a R. Westbrook type. Now if only we could get a real PG in here to train him.....
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Banned

I keep saying that the pacers got this guy because they want him to play PG, he has the tools to to this.

The more I read, the more I'm excited to see what this kid can do, and the more I hope he's not a headcase. He sounds like he could be something to see if things work out.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I keep saying that the pacers got this guy because they want him to play PG, he has the tools to to this.
    Well, he does sound like a 2-1 to me, so that could be a possibility at times.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The more I read, the more I'm excited to see what this kid can do, and the more I hope he's not a headcase. He sounds like he could be something to see if things work out.
    I agree, I am actually more excited about him than the other two guys.

Let's not forget Stephenson's McDonald's All-American game (from nbadraft.net):

Lance Stephenson -- 12 pts, 6-11 fg, 0-2 3p, 0-2 ft, 4 rebs, 3 stls, 6 asts, 6 to, 23 min -- Had a rough go of things committing 6 turnovers. Showed good speed in the open floor with the ball, but gets out of control. On one occasion, he got off the ground before passing causing a turnover showing his lack of fundamentals. He did make some solid plays down the stretch including the game clinching pass to Favors. Has a nose for scoring. Really excels attacking the rim off the bounce. On the negative side his feet look awkward, as he runs up on his toes, not fluid. Talented kid with a great body for his age, but below average athleticism for the NBA level and his fundamentals, work ethic, and body language are big concerns.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post: