Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers considered Stephenson a late 1st rounder?

Default Pacers considered Stephenson a late 1st rounder?

Saw this on Yahoo and hadn't seen it posted yet, but it appears that the Pacers were trying to get back into the first round and buy a late 1st rounder for 3 million and tried to buy an early 2nd rounder for 1.5 million so that they could select Stephenson. As luck would have it, he fell to us at #40. But it's interesting to see where we placed Stephenson as it seems as though Bird and Morway are very high on the kid. I think he may be a better NBA player than he was a college player. See the link and info below: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...rslosers062510

Fortune also smiled on the Pacers, who, sources say, unsuccessfully tried to buy a late first-round pick for $3 million and an early second-rounder for $1.5 million to take Lance Stephenson, a former New York phenom. Despite their failed efforts, Stephenson fell to the Pacers anyway at No. 40.
    Last edited by Smoothdave1; 06-26-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Default Re: Pacers considered Stephenson a late 1st rounder?

This was actually mentioned in another thread. I'm too lazy to find out which one.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Hicks, if this is a dup, please delete. My apologies.

The scary part is TPTB gave James White the same kind of props a few years ago, when they said he could just as easily been their pick at 17.

Doesn't do a lot for my confidence in their judging of some of these guys, although with Stephenson, I think some GM's were put off by his ego/past/etc.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Bird thought that someone in the 20s or 30s could end up being one of the best players in the draft. I think we all know who he was talking about now, and I really hope he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The scary part is TPTB gave James White the same kind of props a few years ago, when they said he could just as easily been their pick at 17.

Doesn't do a lot for my confidence in their judging of some of these guys, although with Stephenson, I think some GM's were put off by his ego/past/etc.

I was just thinking how similiar this sounded to the James White fiasco. It makes me leary hearing it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I was just thinking how similiar this sounded to the James White fiasco. It makes me leary hearing it.
    Well, maybe he is just trying to get the fans excited about the pick. I dunno.

Interesting, I still like the pick, but it seems like we couldn't get any deals done that night.. I am happy with the draft, but It makes me wonder if Bird can make a deal at all.

I will continue to be patient.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post

Agreed; I worry about that, too.

What I'm hoping makes this different is that since getting burned back then, the Pacers have put a lot more effort into learning about the psychology/personality of each player they consider drafting, and if there were major concerns, I think this time around they would be much more likely to have picked up on them and passed, but instead they still took him. So I'd like to think this isn't James White Part II.

Now, that doesn't mean this kid's going to work out, just that I'd be shocked if it flamed out as quickly/abruptly as White did.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Wells was saying they hired a private investigator to check Stephenson and his family out. I heard it on 1070... Did I hear him correctly, do teams do this often with "at risk players"? If so they are really doing their home work!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Wells was saying they hired a private investigator to check Stephenson and his family out. I heard it on 1070... Did I hear him correctly, do teams do this often with "at risk players"? If so they are really doing their home work!
    According to Stephenson's old coach, the Pacers were the ones that really did their homework. It seems that no one else went to that extent.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

I think this is why Larry is waiting until Summer League to make a decision on Brandon. We can't deny that we did thorough background checks, but you never know how something's goin to work out until you experience it firsthand.

Btw, this is nothing like James White. James not only wasn't that talented, but also had a terrible work ethic to go along with his superior attitude. By all accounts Stephenson has a great work ethic and has a mentality of fitting in. His hotheadedness comes from gameplay, a la Stephen Jackson. James' comes from not receiving playing time while believing he deserved to be starting.
    Last edited by imawhat; 06-26-2010 at 12:42 PM.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Very interesting that the Pacers hired a PI to watch over Stephenson and his family, that's really something else and I wonder if it is done frequently.

I am a little nervous about Stephenson's 'tude, but I really think the Pacers have learned from past mistakes and would not have drafted the guy if the guy and his family got really bad reviews from the PI.

Did Stephenson get in any trouble in Cincy? I haven't heard of it. The thing about his grabbing a girl's *** in high school, that's pretty minor I think, these kinds of things can be very subjective and weren't the charges thrown out?

This is all up to Lance, if he wants to work (and all indications so far say he is motivated) he can be as good as any player in this draft. I have listened to several interviews now with him and I do not see why people are so put off by him. He is "cocky"/"confident but so is every other "great" player in the NBA, not named Duncan.

I really like the Pacers taking him, there is "zero" risk and "lots" of reward with this player. And I would not have been upset if the Pacers had "payed" to get into the first round to get him...

Anyone here know if Indiana is going to bring in any of the FA/undrafted rookie PG's from this years class????
    Last edited by woowoo; 06-26-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    The NFL does it all the time with high risk individuals....

On one hand we have to be thinking "Wow, we're lucky we got this player we targeted and were willing to spend or deal our way higher to get him".

OTOH, obviously nobody else was as high on him as us because we were trying to get into a position to pick him where nobody else did... and he fell to us anyway.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

There is always risk w/ 2nd rounders, none of them are complete. That said, Stephenson's 'flaws' so to speak are more around his character, not his on court skills. He has legit, Rucker Park pedigree that I think will offer an intriguing presence off the bench.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    Saw this on Yahoo and hadn't seen it posted yet, but it appears that the Pacers were trying to get back into the first round and buy a late 1st rounder for 3 million and tried to buy an early 2nd rounder for 1.5 million so that they could select Stephenson. As luck would have it, he fell to us at #40. But it's interesting to see where we placed Stephenson as it seems as though Bird and Morway are very high on the kid. I think he may be a better NBA player than he was a college player. See the link and info below: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...rslosers062510
    Sounds eerily like the White kid................

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    There is always risk w/ 2nd rounders, none of them are complete. That said, Stephenson's 'flaws' so to speak are more around his character, not his on court skills. He has legit, Rucker Park pedigree that I think will offer an intriguing presence off the bench.
    That was said about Jamaal Tinsley too.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Well guys I say lets give him a chance before we either worry or condem. MAybe, just maybe he will be ok, or even over achieve
    Sittin on top of the world!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    According to Stephenson's old coach, the Pacers were the ones that really did their homework. It seems that no one else went to that extent.
    Or that other teams wrote him off BEFORE getting that serious an interest.
    Face it, it doesn't sound good what the pre-draft report says.
    Yelling at teammates, dogging it, can't keep interested.
    Mad skills apparently, but it sounds like a long shot that he goes from 'that' last year to a pro this year.
    Sounds like a CBA guy that works his way up if he behaves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
    This is all up to Lance, if he wants to work (and all indications so far say he is motivated) he can be as good as any player in this draft. I have listened to several interviews now with him and I do not see why people are so put off by him. He is "cocky"/"confident but so is every other "great" player in the NBA, not named Duncan.

I really like the Pacers taking him, there is "zero" risk and "lots" of reward with this player. And I would not have been upset if the Pacers had "payed" to get into the first round to get him...

Anyone here know if Indiana is going to bring in any of the FA/undrafted rookie PG's from this years class????
    It's not "zero" risk. There were "safer" picks available that would have stood a decent chance of making the team too. So that's an opportunity cost.
    Worth it where we got it. NOT worth it to move up. This is a bad boy with a lot to learn and a lot of growing up to do.
    I would be majorly pissed if they paid and drafted him in the first round. No way you give this kid a 1st round contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Sounds eerily like the White kid................

Just another example of Bird being enamored with white kids....

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Just another example of Bird being enamored with white kids....

See, this would have been so much better without the green.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

34. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    He has legit, Rucker Park pedigree that I think will offer an intriguing presence off the bench.
    Yes, and he apparently has excellent dustpan-handling skills.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown