Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else is excited for Summer League?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Who else is excited for Summer League?

Now that the draft is over we have summer league coming in just over two weeks. I am extremely excited to see our new guys on the court. I think Paul George could end up being one of the best guys in summer league. Sure that usually means nothing, but it will be nice to watch. We all know Stephenson has the talent to be as good as Paul George too. I know absolutely nothing about Magnum Rolle, but his highlight tape looked good and I think he will provide some big plays in summer league. These three guys just look like they can add a spark to the line up and I am eager to see them on the court.

Default Re: Who else is excited for Summer League?

Summer league is always pretty exciting IMO. Just frustrating knowing how meaningless it is.

The most exciting thing for me about summer league is that it's going to be televised on NBATV this year. This means I can DVR the games and watch them in HD rather than on a grainy internet broadcast.

It also looks like they'll have real announcers: Reggie, Webber, Dennis Scott, Brent Barry, etc. are all in the commercials.

I've already set my DVR for the first game.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

George will be fun to watch. Stephenson has awesome athleticism and should throw down some dunks. It is fun to watch, but it is meaningless.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We should provide quite a few of the highlights from the summer league if the videos we have been seeing about the new guys are even close to being representative of what they can do athletically.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The most exciting thing for me about summer league is that it's going to be televised on NBATV this year. This means I can DVR the games and watch them in HD rather than on a grainy internet broadcast.

It also looks like they'll have real announcers: Reggie, Webber, Dennis Scott, Brent Barry, etc. are all in the commercials.

So no Dante & Galante? Oh well thats disappointing. Sure its pretty much meaningless, but it should be entertaining with these guys I think.

I'm pumped about watching George and seeing the weapon we're going to have next to Granger.

But honestly, I'm most excited for Stephenson. I believe he's the steal of the draft, pending an attitude adjustment.

Mood

Who else is excited for Summer League?
    Brandon Rush.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

Super excited guy here, but one of the reasons was for Dante and Galante! Oh noes...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    Super excited guy here, but one of the reasons was for Dante and Galante! Oh noes...
    I hope they are still doing somesort of an online broadcast... b/c some of us don't get NBA TV...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    I hope they are still doing somesort of an online broadcast... b/c some of us don't get NBA TV...
    Yup, you can even get a DVR deal for $10 and watch the games whenever you want.

http://www.nba.com/summerleaguebroadband/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    I think the free Orlando broadcast is probably gone. The NBA has taken over.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

you guys are confusing the las vegas summer league, which is the official nba-sanctioned one attended by most teams, with the orlando summer league, which is the one the pacers go to. the orlando summer league is of course famous for dante and galente. and yeah, they've streamed over the internet the past few years.

btw, found the official notice:

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/...summer-league/

The Orlando Magic will host the 2010 AirTran Airways Pro Summer League at the RDV Sportsplex from July 5-9. The 20-game event will feature the Orlando Magic, New Jersey Nets, Philadelphia 76ers, Indiana Pacers, Oklahoma City Thunder, Utah Jazz, Boston Celtics and the Charlotte Bobcats.

Due to space limitations, the event is not open to the public and will be open only to the media and professional team/league personnel. Games will begin at 1 p.m. from July 5-8, and at 8 a.m. on July 9. Fans can follow the action, get box scores, game recaps and cumulative statistics by visiting www.orlandomagic.com.
    8 teams now!

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

nah man, here it is I googled it...posted like 20 minutes ago:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ames-live.html

edit: It will be aired, the Orlando Summer League, on NBA TV

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post

Awesome news, can't wait to actually be able to watch it without the loading time and pixely screen of the web stream.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

I agree that these games are meaningless because they don't project much to the NBA level, but the players attending give an all out effort. I find summer league games entertaining. Although they tend to be sloppy, they remind me of streetball tourney's, but with professional athletes. Set to DVR.

ok, cool. the link says the magic have also asked permission to continue broadcasting over the internet, in addition to being on nba tv.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

anybody know if the rosters have been released yet for the Orlando Summer League? I'm assuming not yet?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    I agree that these games are meaningless because they don't project much to the NBA level, but the players attending give an all out effort. I find summer league games entertaining. Although they tend to be sloppy, they remind me of streetball tourney's, but with professional athletes. Set to DVR.
    That case Stephenson should look like a Super-Star!
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Sherron Collins is palying for the Bobcats summer league team.

anybody know if the rosters have been released yet for the Orlando Summer League? I'm assuming not yet?
    Not yet.

Orlando, Fla. Orlando will host the 2010 AirTran Airways Pro Summer League at the RDV Sportsplex from July 5-9. The 20-game event will feature the Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic, New Jersey Nets, Philadelphia 76ers, Oklahoma City Thunder, Utah Jazz, Boston Celtics and the Charlotte Bobcats.

Due to space limitations, the event is not open to the public and will be open only to the media and professional team/league personnel. Games will begin at 1 p.m. from July 5-8, and at 8 a.m. on July 9.

A complete game schedule for the 2010 AirTran Airways Pro Summer League is listed below. The Pacers roster will be released at a later date.
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/summe...ue_100610.html

streets ahead

Per Alex Kennedy:

Aaron Jackson, who I wrote about in February, will play for the Pacers during Orlando Summer League and the Cavs during Vegas Summer League.
    about 7 hours ago
    and in Mikhail Torrance news...

Sounds like Mikhail Torrance will be playing with the Charlotte Bobcat's Summer League team.
    about 2 hours ago

I'm a bit surprised at this. Reports are that Sherron Collins will play Summer league ball with the Cats as well. I guess it's not a bad idea to try out Torrance and Collins. Then again, they had no picks last night.

streets ahead

Here is the piece Kennedy mentions in his tweet

Jackson Preparing For NBA In Turkey
    By: Alex Kennedy
    Last Updated: 2/14/10

Aaron Jackson has always wanted to improve the players around him. He's unselfish and a facilitator on offense. His strengths include attacking the basket and finding the open man or making the pass before the pass that leads to a score. He's a true point guard in every sense of the phrase.

So when the Indiana Pacers asked him to play shooting guard during last summer's Orlando Pro Summer League, it's easy to see why Jackson wasn't able to make the first impression he had hoped for.

Indiana wanted A.J. Price running the point so they put Jackson alongside him the backcourt. While Jackson played well, he didn't get the chance to wow teams with his normal point guard duties. "They said that they wanted the five best players on the court but I feel like if I have a chance to play the one [in the Summer League], I'm in the NBA," Jackson told HOOPSWORLD.

Jackson grew up watching Jason Kidd and studied the way he directed an offense. He was amazed at how much better players performed with Kidd feeding them the ball. That's when he realized he wanted to be that guy. He wanted to be the distributor that gets his teammates involved and makes the team better.

At Duquesne, he was first-team All-Atlantic 10 and finished top five in the conference in seven different statistical categories. The school improved each year that Jackson was on the team and his great senior season led the Dukes to their first 20-win season since 1981. He helped turn the program around and averaged 19.3 points, 5.7 assists, and 5.5 rebounds during his final season with the team.

Now he takes his playmaking abilities to Turkey, where he is playing for Antalya of the Turkish Basketball League and putting up impressive numbers. His 14.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 3.6 assists have helped Antalya improve to .500 and he was recently named to his division's all-star ballot. While he's happy to be in Turkey, he looks at the stint as a place to improve and gain experience that he can someday use in the NBA.

"Turkey was a good situation for me because there are a lot of good guards. It's pretty intense. It's a really good league in terms of defensive guards so every game there is a shutdown guard that's looking to lock you down. It's fun though, you play against a lot of Americans and it's a real physical league so everyone has a ton of bumps and bruises. That kind of helps me because I'm getting used to all of that so when I go to summer league or camp next year, I'll be ready for it," said Jackson.

When he had his shot with the Pacers last summer, one of the main things that the team wanted him to work on was bulking up. "I have a small frame and I'm a tall, skinny, lean guard so they want me to bulk up," he says. "With the whole weight issue, it fluctuates but I'm really focused on getting bigger now because that's what NBA teams want so that's what they'll get."

Playing in Turkey has been a culture shock for the Hartford, Connecticut native. "Man, it's a total cultural shock. It's a mental grind. Each day you have to be mentally tough because it's so different from America - from the food to the people to the basketball. You become comfortable in America and then you move to a new situation where people don't speak English and everything is different, it's been tough," he says.

But despite the language barrier and differences in culture, Jackson has had no problem fitting in with his Antalya teammates. "There's only two other Americans on the team but fitting in with my teammates has been easy. My coach always jokes and calls me a Turk during practice because I get along with my Turkish teammates so well. It hasn't been hard, Turks are real likable people."

He has made the most of his opportunity and is turning heads around the NBA. While he only had six teams work him out before the NBA Draft, his name is now on the radar of teams across the league. He has also received interest from some of the top teams overseas including Turkish powerhouse Efes Pilsen.

Jackson is focusing on winning games with Antalya right now but he still has a message for general managers at the next level who may be interested in bringing him on board for Summer League or training camp next July.

"If you sign me, you're going to get a player that's going to work and give you one hundred percent each and every day," he says. "You're going to get a player who is committed to improving the team as a whole. I put in the work each day and I want to become the best player I can be. I feel like I have all of the tools to play in the NBA and if I get that shot, if you give me that shot, I won't let you down."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14948