Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: Paul George on the competition at wing

  1. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    While that is true, he at least took those shots and was in the playoffs that was, right?

    Thats more than you can say about our rookies.

  2. #27
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rush seems to be motivated only when not playing next to TJ Ford.
    Fixed.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  3. #28

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    George may have a great future ahead, but he doesn't sound to me like somebody who'll be ready to be a starter in the NBA next season.

    Neither was Granger, and look how that has turned out.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    PD Magician Magic P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,926

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While that is true, he at least took those shots and was in the playoffs that was, right?

    Thats more than you can say about our rookies.
    If our Rookies had Shaq we would be in the playoffs too.

  6. #30
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,201
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Anyone else remember when we were excited about a S. Williams and Granger forward combo?............I see that happening again just with much more sucess this time George and Granger........ It would be small ball but I think this combo could work.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  7. #31
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,020

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. That'll be a nice rotation. Maybe George is good enough to start in a year, maybe not. But having three solid wing players will be great.

    I don't understand the "Brandon needs to take a page out of his book" comments (in this thread and others). I don't remember Brandon ever saying he didn't want competition.
    Ditto! And if it were up too me, I would keep all these three guys and rotate them. IMHO Dun Dun and Jones (alas, as I like him) would be the ones getting hit by this. Stephenson has a chance to enter the competition aswell.

    OTOH, maybe it's better to let Rush go in a trade, combine it with an expiring and/or some other smaller asset(s) and get something substantial back at PG or PF and let Jones focus more on what he is good at, defending ths SG spot, and together with Stephenson and George form our SG trio, while George could also get some SF minutes.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. #32
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,505

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kobe wasn't NBA ready either.

    That's not true at all.

    When The Mamba was a rookie, he was an 18 year old kid playing on a super talented team that featured the likes of Shaq, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel - guys who obviously wanted to have a substantial amount of shots. In his first season, Kobe averaged a respectable 7.6 points in just 15.5 minutes a game. Then he exploded in his second season as a 19 year old, averaging 15.4 points off of the bench in just 26 minutes of play. Finally in his third season he was granted a starting role and got his fair share of shots as the Lakers traded away guys like Eddie Jones and Van Exel, thus granting Kobe a huge share of the offense. His response? He averaged 20 points as a 20 year old....

    If that's not NBA ready I don't know what is.....

    The difference between Kobe and Lebron in the first couple of years of their careers is that Kobe was on a super talented veteran with well established players who weren't about to let an 18 year old kid take a bunch of shots away from them. He'd only get that chance when those guys were traded away. Lebron, OTOH, was the Messiah on a worthless Cleveland roster and was clearly already the best player on the team the moment he was drafted. He could do whatever he wanted offensively from day 1.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  10. #33
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,505

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Numbers are deceiving. Kobe took bad shots and he really wasn't ready for the big stage. Those air balls he shot against Utah in the playoffs proved that.



    And how many other 18 year-olds have the stones to take those shots in that situation? In fact, Shaquille O'Neal said years later that Bryant was the "only guy at the time who had the guts at the time to take shots like that."

    So he failed to come big in that situation as an 18 year old. Big deal. Experiencing failure is a right of passage in the NBA, something every young star has to have a taste of before they can achieve finer things. All Kobe did was build on that experience and came back the next year averaging 15 points off of the bench. The year after that? 20 points as a 20 year old. The guy was as NBA ready as it gets.

    You're using the Utah airballs to support your assertion that he wasn't NBA ready when in fact they say just the opposite........

  11. #34
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Can you imagine how this board would react to our rookie shootings those air balls? You'd expect fires at Conseco if he wasn't traded....

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  13. #35
    Member hans023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Plainfield, IN
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Brandon is traded, I can see us starting Mike at SG and not immediately throw the starting pressure on Paul right away.

    SG Dunleavy/Stephenson
    SF Granger/George/DJones

    By doing this, it'll allow Paul to learn from Danny as his backup for a few months and then possibly switch places with Mike once he feels he's ready to take over the starting SG spot.
    I agree with you. Plus I see Mike coming back strong this season.

  14. #36
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Numbers are deceiving. Kobe took bad shots and he really wasn't ready for the big stage. Those air balls he shot against Utah in the playoffs proved that.



    That was awesome to watch.

    Think we can talk Stockton into coming out of retirement?

    --pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  16. #37
    PD Magician Magic P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,926

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And how many other 18 year-olds have the stones to take those shots in that situation? In fact, Shaquille O'Neal said years later that Bryant was the "only guy at the time who had the guts at the time to take shots like that."

    So he failed to come big in that situation as an 18 year old. Big deal. Experiencing failure is a right of passage in the NBA, something every young star has to have a taste of before they can achieve finer things. All Kobe did was build on that experience and came back the next year averaging 15 points off of the bench. The year after that? 20 points as a 20 year old. The guy was as NBA ready as it gets.

    You're using the Utah airballs to support your assertion that he wasn't NBA ready when in fact they say just the opposite........
    Is this the same Shaq who told Kobe how his *** taste because he couldn't win without him?

    The video does prove Kobe wasn't NBA ready, he was far from the black mamba in the clip, he was more like a garden snake. I agree with your experience statement. Kobe had to grow into the player he is now, hopefully George will grow to be a great player as well. But he clearly was not NBA ready in '97.

  17. #38
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,560
    Mood

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Maybe this competition with Rush will light a fire under his keister. If Rush could keep his job at the 2 maybe we could use George as a back-up for both 2 and the 3 having him get his 25-30 minutes a night without the starter pressure.

  18. #39
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe this competition with Rush will light a fire under his keister. If Rush could keep his job at the 2 maybe we could use George as a back-up for both 2 and the 3 having him get his 25-30 minutes a night without the starter pressure.
    if this doesnt, i dont know what will, and rush deserves to get traded
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  19. #40
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,348

    Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you imagine how this board would react to our rookie shootings those air balls? You'd expect fires at Conseco if he wasn't traded....

    I don't know about that... So many variables that fans look for that the airballs alone wouldn't do it (I'm sure somebody would say something but I'm talking overall).

    For one thing, some players have an aura of confidence around them and some have a deer in the headlights look. Some look like they are a sponge and soaking up the NBA game... some look like they might have the same basketball IQ as a sponge. Some show improvements and new things seemingly each time they step on the court... Some look worse each time they step on the court... while some seemingly twist/break/injure something each time they step on the court.

    A few airballs alone need to be looked at in context and not necessarily be a cause for worry... Especially if you know the player has a head and body for the game, can hit those shots in practice, has hit them in HS and/or college, etc...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 224
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
  2. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:34 AM
  3. Eddie George to star in play
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 07:29 PM
  4. Comprehensive defense examination thread, part II: Wing defense
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •