Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul George on the competition at wing

Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

While that is true, he at least took those shots and was in the playoffs that was, right?

Thats more than you can say about our rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Rush seems to be motivated only when not playing next to TJ Ford.
    Fixed.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post

George may have a great future ahead, but he doesn't sound to me like somebody who'll be ready to be a starter in the NBA next season.

Neither was Granger, and look how that has turned out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    While that is true, he at least took those shots and was in the playoffs that was, right?

Thats more than you can say about our rookies.
    If our Rookies had Shaq we would be in the playoffs too.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone else remember when we were excited about a S. Williams and Granger forward combo?............I see that happening again just with much more sucess this time George and Granger........ It would be small ball but I think this combo could work.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Agreed. That'll be a nice rotation. Maybe George is good enough to start in a year, maybe not. But having three solid wing players will be great.

I don't understand the "Brandon needs to take a page out of his book" comments (in this thread and others). I don't remember Brandon ever saying he didn't want competition.
    Ditto! And if it were up too me, I would keep all these three guys and rotate them. IMHO Dun Dun and Jones (alas, as I like him) would be the ones getting hit by this. Stephenson has a chance to enter the competition aswell.

OTOH, maybe it's better to let Rush go in a trade, combine it with an expiring and/or some other smaller asset(s) and get something substantial back at PG or PF and let Jones focus more on what he is good at, defending ths SG spot, and together with Stephenson and George form our SG trio, while George could also get some SF minutes.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kobe wasn't NBA ready either.

That's not true at all.

When The Mamba was a rookie, he was an 18 year old kid playing on a super talented team that featured the likes of Shaq, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel - guys who obviously wanted to have a substantial amount of shots. In his first season, Kobe averaged a respectable 7.6 points in just 15.5 minutes a game. Then he exploded in his second season as a 19 year old, averaging 15.4 points off of the bench in just 26 minutes of play. Finally in his third season he was granted a starting role and got his fair share of shots as the Lakers traded away guys like Eddie Jones and Van Exel, thus granting Kobe a huge share of the offense. His response? He averaged 20 points as a 20 year old....

If that's not NBA ready I don't know what is.....

The difference between Kobe and Lebron in the first couple of years of their careers is that Kobe was on a super talented veteran with well established players who weren't about to let an 18 year old kid take a bunch of shots away from them. He'd only get that chance when those guys were traded away. Lebron, OTOH, was the Messiah on a worthless Cleveland roster and was clearly already the best player on the team the moment he was drafted. He could do whatever he wanted offensively from day 1.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Numbers are deceiving. Kobe took bad shots and he really wasn't ready for the big stage. Those air balls he shot against Utah in the playoffs proved that.

And how many other 18 year-olds have the stones to take those shots in that situation? In fact, Shaquille O'Neal said years later that Bryant was the "only guy at the time who had the guts at the time to take shots like that."

So he failed to come big in that situation as an 18 year old. Big deal. Experiencing failure is a right of passage in the NBA, something every young star has to have a taste of before they can achieve finer things. All Kobe did was build on that experience and came back the next year averaging 15 points off of the bench. The year after that? 20 points as a 20 year old. The guy was as NBA ready as it gets.

You're using the Utah airballs to support your assertion that he wasn't NBA ready when in fact they say just the opposite........

Can you imagine how this board would react to our rookie shootings those air balls? You'd expect fires at Conseco if he wasn't traded....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    If Brandon is traded, I can see us starting Mike at SG and not immediately throw the starting pressure on Paul right away.

SG Dunleavy/Stephenson
    SF Granger/George/DJones

By doing this, it'll allow Paul to learn from Danny as his backup for a few months and then possibly switch places with Mike once he feels he's ready to take over the starting SG spot.
    I agree with you. Plus I see Mike coming back strong this season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Numbers are deceiving. Kobe took bad shots and he really wasn't ready for the big stage. Those air balls he shot against Utah in the playoffs proved that.

That was awesome to watch.

Think we can talk Stockton into coming out of retirement?

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    And how many other 18 year-olds have the stones to take those shots in that situation? In fact, Shaquille O'Neal said years later that Bryant was the "only guy at the time who had the guts at the time to take shots like that."

So he failed to come big in that situation as an 18 year old. Big deal. Experiencing failure is a right of passage in the NBA, something every young star has to have a taste of before they can achieve finer things. All Kobe did was build on that experience and came back the next year averaging 15 points off of the bench. The year after that? 20 points as a 20 year old. The guy was as NBA ready as it gets.

You're using the Utah airballs to support your assertion that he wasn't NBA ready when in fact they say just the opposite........
    Is this the same Shaq who told Kobe how his *** taste because he couldn't win without him?

The video does prove Kobe wasn't NBA ready, he was far from the black mamba in the clip, he was more like a garden snake. I agree with your experience statement. Kobe had to grow into the player he is now, hopefully George will grow to be a great player as well. But he clearly was not NBA ready in '97.

Mood

Maybe this competition with Rush will light a fire under his keister. If Rush could keep his job at the 2 maybe we could use George as a back-up for both 2 and the 3 having him get his 25-30 minutes a night without the starter pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    Maybe this competition with Rush will light a fire under his keister. If Rush could keep his job at the 2 maybe we could use George as a back-up for both 2 and the 3 having him get his 25-30 minutes a night without the starter pressure.
    if this doesnt, i dont know what will, and rush deserves to get traded
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Can you imagine how this board would react to our rookie shootings those air balls? You'd expect fires at Conseco if he wasn't traded....

I don't know about that... So many variables that fans look for that the airballs alone wouldn't do it (I'm sure somebody would say something but I'm talking overall).

For one thing, some players have an aura of confidence around them and some have a deer in the headlights look. Some look like they are a sponge and soaking up the NBA game... some look like they might have the same basketball IQ as a sponge. Some show improvements and new things seemingly each time they step on the court... Some look worse each time they step on the court... while some seemingly twist/break/injure something each time they step on the court.

A few airballs alone need to be looked at in context and not necessarily be a cause for worry... Especially if you know the player has a head and body for the game, can hit those shots in practice, has hit them in HS and/or college, etc...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden