Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George on the competition at wing

Default Paul George on the competition at wing

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...en-competition

Pacers draft choice Paul George faces keen competition

by Mike Wells

Indiana Pacers rookie forward Paul George knows he's playing a position that's the deepest on the roster.

That's fine with him, he's ready for the challenge.

"It's competition," George said during his introductory press conference at Conseco Fieldhouse today. "I knew what to expect coming in. No job is given. You've got to compete for it. I think that will make all of us better. Whatever lineup that we have you'll know that person well-deserved it and he'll be that much better because of the hard work we put in for that position. I'm ready for the challenge."

George, the No. 10 pick in Thursday's draft, joins a wing group that includes Danny Granger, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones, Brandon Rush and Lance Stephenson.

"The plan is to get a lot of good players, as many as you can and it'll become very clear who should be on the court, what combination of players should be on the court," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "One of the things that Larry tried to establish here over the last couple of years and I think we're well on the way to establishing it, is to change the culture of players here."
    George, who left Fresno State after two years, averaged 16.8 points and 7.2 rebounds last season.

"I feel like I can contribute right away, especially I want to come here early and work and make sure I'm ready for when that time does come," he said. "I really, truly believe that in this system and with these people around me that I can fully maximize my potential."

----------

Maybe Brandon needs to take a page out of this book.

Default Re: Paul George on the competition at wing

I bet he starts over Rush by the end of the season.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

I'm actually really excited by the prospect of a Rush/George/Granger trio.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. That'll be a nice rotation. Maybe George is good enough to start in a year, maybe not. But having three solid wing players will be great.

I don't understand the "Brandon needs to take a page out of his book" comments (in this thread and others). I don't remember Brandon ever saying he didn't want competition.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I bet he starts over Rush by the end of the season.
    I bet Rush isn't a Pacer by the end of the season.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Assuming Rush is still on the roster, that isn't a bad combo.

But I'm anticipating seeing rush traded here this offseason, and we see George starting at the 2 next to Granger.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Same here. I hope they keep Rush.

Back in the day Al Harrington actually had a pretty sweet deal playing starter minutes behind All-Star forwards Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest, but he didn't realize what he had until it was gone. Or perhaps I should say until he was gone.

If Paul George can back up both Rush and Granger at SG and SF in a similar manner (actually, I hope he does it in a more impressive manner and without the whining of Harrington), I think we would be in great shape at the wing positions. Things look really good at SF, SG, and C, although we could use a bit of depth behind Hibbert. We will still need a couple of pieces at PG and PF before we can go very far, but I like the players we have. If Price and Hansbrough both make a recovery, I think they will do a decent job until we get starting caliber players in those positions. Maybe Indiana can flip some of this expirings into a good player for one of those positions. I really don't want to give away our best young players, including Rush, especially if we get a decent coach after this year. I think Rush and Hibbert in particular would benefit from a different style of play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I bet he starts over Rush by the end of the preseason.
    Fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not as gung ho about trading Rush as some of you are.

I do this he's somewhat of a malcontent, I don't think he likes Indy, I don't think he likes our front office, and most importantly I don't think he likes playing for the Pacers at all right now. But the fact is outside of Granger he is probably the best wing on our roster as we speak.

You only trade Rush at this point if you're pretty certain George will be able to start his first year (which I doubt) and that Dunleavy can be a primary backup wing with Stephenson being good enough to get minimal time in the rotation and relieve Dunleavy when needed. If Dunleavy is still a shell of his former self and Stephenson and George are as raw as some expect, we have no one but Rush to lean on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I'm not as gung ho about trading Rush as some of you are.

I do this he's somewhat of a malcontent, I don't think he likes Indy, I don't think he likes our front office, and most importantly I don't think he likes playing for the Pacers at all right now. But the fact is outside of Granger he is probably the best wing on our roster as we speak.

You only trade Rush at this point if you're pretty certain George will be able to start his first year (which I doubt) and that Dunleavy can be a primary backup wing with Stephenson being good enough to get minimal time in the rotation and relieve Dunleavy when needed. If Dunleavy is still a shell of his former self and Stephenson and George are as raw as some expect, we have no one but Rush to lean on right now.
    I can't disagree with this, but what about Dahntay?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Brandon is traded, I can see us starting Mike at SG and not immediately throw the starting pressure on Paul right away.

SG Dunleavy/Stephenson
    SF Granger/George/DJones

By doing this, it'll allow Paul to learn from Danny as his backup for a few months and then possibly switch places with Mike once he feels he's ready to take over the starting SG spot.

Mood

Brandon Rush on the competition at the wing:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post

Dahntay might be a baby screaming and crying.

He has to compete at the wing for another 3 seasons.

In JOB's eyes, there is no competition, he'll bench Dahntay for shooters.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    In JOB's eyes, there is no competition, he'll bench Dahntay for shooters.
    Which is a shame.

Side note, I actually like Dahntay's mid-range game. I think I've said on here before, I hate that I heard him say he's going to work on his 3-point shot this summer. I'd rather him spend the summer honing in on his mid-range jumper and get it down to where it's almost 2003-2004 Rip Hamilton-esque (or something at least close to it).

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I like that Danny and Paul have been working out together. You know Danny must have given a good report on Paul and liked what he brought to the team. I expect them to compliment each others play...

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post

That's a cheap shot.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

This could actually be the best thing for rush. He has not been pushed by anyone to keep his spot it was just kind of his because we had no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This could actually be the best thing for rush. He has not been pushed by anyone to keep his spot it was just kind of his because we had no one else.
    Most players are motivated because they want to win. If he's only motivated enough to just try to keep his job, then good riddance.

Rush seems to be motivated only in March and April. He needs to put a whole year together a some point. I would be glade to let some other team to try and motivate him.

Paul George was second-team All-WAC last season. He averaged 16.8 points and shot 42.4 percent from the field, including 35.3 percent on 3s. He put together those rather modest numbers on a 15-18 squad that didn't play in one of the strongest college conferences.

George may have a great future ahead, but he doesn't sound to me like somebody who'll be ready to be a starter in the NBA next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    Paul George was second-team All-WAC last season. He averaged 16.8 points and shot 42.4 percent from the field, including 35.3 percent on 3s. He put together those rather modest numbers on a 15-18 squad that didn't play in one of the strongest college conferences.

George may have a great future ahead, but he doesn't sound to me like somebody who'll be ready to be a starter in the NBA next season.
    I agree that he probably isn't ready to be a full time starter right away, but I think you should also consider that some of the people he played with there were reported to be pretty poor teammates. I don't think you should judge him to harshly with those stats. We was very unhappy in his situation and tried to make the best of it, but he said that was one of the main reasons for leaving school when he did.

Kobe wasn't NBA ready either.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:

Banned

From what I've read, he was the best player by far on a team that PLAYED walk ons. The team was left in pieces after the previous coach left a mess ala Calipari.
    Read a couple of things that said he was often doubled and even triple teamed. VERY little help.
    Probably not fair to compare his statistics given that scenerio.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    Kobe wasn't NBA ready either.

Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
    199697 L.A. Lakers 71 6 15.5 .417 .375 .819 1.9 1.3 .7 .3 7.6
    199798 L.A. Lakers 79 1 26.0 .428 .341 .794 3.1 2.5 .9 .5 15.4

I don't know... 7.6 pts in 15.5 minutes? I'd say that's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
    1996–97 L.A. Lakers 71 6 15.5 .417 .375 .819 1.9 1.3 .7 .3 7.6
    1997–98 L.A. Lakers 79 1 26.0 .428 .341 .794 3.1 2.5 .9 .5 15.4

I don't know... 7.6 pts in 15.5 minutes? I'd say that's pretty close.
    Numbers are deceiving. Kobe took bad shots and he really wasn't ready for the big stage. Those air balls he shot against Utah in the playoffs proved that.

Last edited by Magic P; 06-26-2010 at 03:20 PM.