Thread: Draft Grades

Default Draft Grades

I do not put a lot of stock into draft grades, and like to grade drafts three years from now. I do, however, like to get an idea on how people view our picks. As i surfed the web i thought i would share this info. If any of this info is repeat, i apologize, i haven't read in a couple of days.

Yahoo:

Indiana Pacers: Paul George(notes), Lance Stephenson(notes), Magnum Rolle(notes)
    Here's my issue with the Tracy McGrady(notes) comparisons for George. Paul is 20 right now, and at that age T-Mac was averaging more than 15 points and six rebounds for a Raptors team that made the playoffs -- with two blocks per game. This was the year before McGrady averaged 27 a game for Orlando. Paul averaged 17 and seven for Fresno State last season, and while his shooting numbers look smoother than a waxed yacht deck, you have to wonder about his motor and his placement on a Pacers team already featuring Danny Granger(notes).To get Stephenson and Rolle in the second round? And the cojones to go after George in spite of Granger's permanence? I dig it.
    It might not work out, but I appreciate the moves.
    Grade: A

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,251378

WINNER: Paul George

The unheralded Fresno State swingman looked like an iffy prospect shortly after the college season ended. A string of strong workouts, however, elevated him to the No. 10 pick.

While it’s uncertain if the Indiana Pacers were disappointed (or glad) local star Gordon Hayward was selected a spot earlier by Utah, they showed some guts
    by selecting George over the likes of Cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson and Luke Babbitt. Now it’s up to George to prove he’s more than just hype.

Fortune also smiled on the Pacers, who, sources say, unsuccessfully tried to buy a late first-round pick for $3 million and an early second-rounder for $1.5 million to take Lance Stephenson, a former New York phenom. Despite their failed efforts, Stephenson fell to the Pacers anyway at No. 40.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...rslosers062510

CBS SPORTS

Analysis: Larry Bird admitted the club's biggest need was a point guard. With another shooter now onboard, that weakness is even more glaring.

Grade: F

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...verlist_footer

CNNSI.COM

The Pacers had hoped to lock up a point guard (the Nets' Devin Harris) and a power forward (Derrick Favors) in one fell swoop when they dangled Danny Granger and the No. 10 pick to Jersey. The Nets didn't bite, though, and Indy was left with Paul George, a late bloomer (he didn't play AAU ball until his senior year of high school) out of Fresno State who compares himself to Tracy McGrady. He's a good transition player who can shoot the three, a must in Jim O'Brien's offense. Indy took a flyer on Lance Stephenson, a good-sized two-guard who lacks many offensive skills, in the second round.

Grade:B-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...des/index.html

NBADRAFT.NET

Larry Bird took a risk! And then he took another and another! The Pacers are known for drafting proven college players such as Brandon Rush, Tyler Hansbrough and Roy Hibbert. George was a departure from that ideology, one that has left the team mired in mediocrity. He's got great upside and looks a lot like Rudy Gay, but there's understandable concern that he is turnover prone, makes poor decisions and played low level competition at Fresno State. Stephenson could be very good, and at No. 40, his massive risk factor – egotism being the primary concern – is acceptable. Rolle played in the WAC with George but is the type of athlete the Pacers' frontcourt needs. The big question here is, how will George and Danny Granger play together? They share many of the same traits. Still, good – and refreshing – picks from Indiana

Grade:B+

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010-nba-draft-grades

Here is a story on Granger and george: http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/arti...er-are-similar

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sheppie33 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Draft Grades

Somebody should grade these analyst for once.

How can anyone grade an unknown is beyond me...

I guess Bird was destined to get an F from CBS unless they were able to get John Wall. There were no other incredible PGs in the entire draft.
    Last edited by IndyPacer; 06-27-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess Bird was destined to get an F from CBS unless they were able to get John Wall. There were not other incredible PGs in the entire draft.
    You don't know????

YOu only draft for need.

kind of ironic we got an F for drafting Paul George, a non PG, then get an A on Lance Stephenson, a non PG.
    follow me @KeifDye - lets talk Pacers!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I guess Bird was destined to get an F from CBS unless they were able to get John Wall. There were not other incredible PGs in the entire draft.
    I agree. I am far from a Bird fan, but really, what was he supposed to do? Severely overpay or reach for a position of need? The guys who compiled this list really don't know how NBA teams are built.

Can anyone post the Nba Draft Grades from ESPN Insider by Chad Ford ? Just want too see his opinion. Thanks

Chad Fords:

INDIANA PACERS GRADE: B+

Round 1: Paul George (10)

Round 2: Lance Stephenson (40), Magnum Rolle (51, obtained from Oklahoma City)

Analysis: For the past few years, Pacers execs Larry Bird and David Morway have not been swinging for the fences in the draft. Instead they have tried for singles and doubles and, for the most part, they've connected -- the results have been solid, but not game-changing.

This year, with the Pacers in desperate need of elite talent, they took a different tack, really going for it with an upside pick. In fact, George has as much upside as anyone in the draft not named Wall, Favors or Cousins.

George reminds some scouts of Tracy McGrady, believe it or not -- as T-Mac was, George is a great athlete with terrific size for his position who can shoot from range and really finish at the basket. At the same time, he hasn't consistently used those tools to dominate, which has led some scouts to compare him, less flatteringly, to Nick Young. His two seasons at Fresno State were underwhelming. Watching George play can leave you exhilarated and frustrated at the same time.

You could say similar things about Stephenson. He isn't the terrific athlete or great shooter that George is, but he has an NBA body and a power game that's well suited to the league. He too can dazzle you in moments and have you pulling your hair out at other times.

Rolle was a roll of the dice at 51. He's a terrific athlete and shot blocker who seldom dominated in college the way his talent suggested he could.

If George and Stephenson get it, Bird and Morway have hit a couple of home runs in the draft.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    kind of ironic we got an F for drafting Paul George, a non PG, then get an A on Lance Stephenson, a non PG.
    That didn't happen. CBS gave them an F and didn't distinguish between any of the picks.

The unheralded Fresno State swingman looked like an iffy prospect shortly after the college season ended. A string of strong workouts, however, elevated him to the No. 10 pick.
    Awesome, we just won the Joe Alexander award for ignoring a season of results and going with the beauty of a workout.

If I were hiring a plumber I'd rather watch him work on jobs for 4 months straight than to go by the written exam I gave him. Aptitude is nice, but performance doing the actual job is much better.

I really need to see some outstanding play out of George and Lance in summer league. That's not the final say, but a lackluster effort is going to put this draft into a very dark light. If I just bet the longshot horse I don't want to see it come out of the gate in last place.

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

A+ for the draft. George is going to be an all-star
    Murph

Very true. Remember last year when the Jets got Vernon Gholston and the Patriots got Jerod Mayo? Everyone thought that Gholston was going to be incredible and made fun of the Patriots for picking Mayo. A season later, Gholston didn't do anything and Mayo is the defensive rookie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    That didn't happen. CBS gave them an F and didn't distinguish between any of the picks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...;pageContainer

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Awesome, we just won the Joe Alexander award for ignoring a season of results and going with the beauty of a workout.

If I were hiring a plumber I'd rather watch him work on jobs for 4 months straight than to go by the written exam I gave him. Aptitude is nice, but performance doing the actual job is much better.

I really need to see some outstanding play out of George and Lance in summer league. That's not the final say, but a lackluster effort is going to put this draft into a very dark light. If I just bet the longshot horse I don't want to see it come out of the gate in last place.
    Love your positive outlook...

How about we give the guy(s) atleast a year?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

yes it did
    look at round 2 draft grades
    follow me @KeifDye - lets talk Pacers!