View Poll Results: How did the Pacers do?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

49 42.61%
  • B

53 46.09%
  • C

8 6.96%
  • D

4 3.48%
  • F

1 0.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PD - Draft grade

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default PD - Draft grade

What is your grade of the Pacers 2010 Draft?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Default Re: PD - Draft grade

I said A, though I would've given them an A- or B+. We may have wound up with the steal of the 1st round AND the 2nd round if Lance develops as well. I really like the George pick and it's the first time in 4 years or so I've been happy on draft night. I think we could've got someone more useful than Rolle though.

I'll do a write-in.

The Pacers draft grade: ?

Can you keep the poll open for 4 years!

I am not happy about the pg position not being addressed but I will have to wait and see what Bird does in the summer to be really pissed or happy.

Personally the George pick was a O.K. pick to me but nothing that made me feel that next year will be any different than the last 3 years. The second round guys were sort of out of blue to me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Four years from now, George/Stephenson COULD be our core players. Danny might be used as trade bait for a great point guard. Just depends on how hard these guys work...
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not happy about the pg position not being addressed but I will have to wait and see what Bird does in the summer to be really pissed or happy.

Personally the George pick was a O.K. pick to me but nothing that made me feel that next year will be any different than the last 3 years. The second round guys were sort of out of blue to me.
    I agree with this. I was hoping for a PG, as that was our most glaring need. Instead we got 2 wildcards. "Potential" drafts scare me. This was entirely a potential draft. I understand that we could use a home run right now... I'm just not sure that's what we got.

George is intriguing, but man do I have question marks... is he T-Mac 2.0? Is he Shawne Williams 2.0?

Stephenson needed to go to a great coach and super system/organization like SA or Utah in order to put his game together, and unfortunately for him, he came to Indiana. His inside-game doesn't even fit in with this system. He can't shoot 3s or FTs at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see him being cut within two seasons if not sooner. This was a guy who, coming out of high school, was in the same breath as Wall and Cousins, and ended up going in the middle of the 2nd round after a lackluster freshman season. I hope he proves me wrong, but man does he have a long way to go...

Rolle, at 51, likely won't be a factor, but could be nice depth on the front line.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 06-25-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I really wanted us to do the Maynor, 18, and 21 deal (whether or not it was on the table).

With that said, George is a rock-solid prospect and I think we did a good job with picking someone who doesn't necessarily fit a need, but has the tools to be a big-time player. In the draft, it's easy to overlook BPA and go with someone who would fit a hole in your roster. I also liked the Stephenson pick, even though it means we're loaded on the wings. But again, it's all about getting the best assets, and in that sense, I think we made the right pick at 40.

The Reid pick was questionable at best, but I'm glad that it didn't end up belonging to us. We instead took a flyer on a shot-blocking center prospect, who may or may not contributing for us. But considering our need for a backup center who can exactly do that, I liked the move.

Basically, coming into the draft, the Pacers had holes at every spot in the roster. Arguably, that goes for Granger's spot too. I'm glad that we didn't hastily pick a PG or a PF and went for the BPA + potential approach. For the past few years, we've been going for conservative picks and now it looks like we've turned it up a notch. Good to see.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't have any problem with George or Stephenson but the lack of a trade is extremely disappointing to me. I give it a bad grade pending a trade which surely must be coming.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I drank the T-Bird koolaid and became convinced George was the best player available. I'd have preferred a trade down because I think wing is redundant unless it turns out he can play an NBA 2 rather than an NCAA 3, but it seems a good solid player who can be a key piece in the future.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Lurking

I voted F, not for who we drafted, but for stringing us all out with all the BS in regards to trades.

As far as im concerned, the grade is based on the fact that upper management bluntly said "we wont be keeping the 10" and yet today they are backtracking on that statement.

No excuses, our front office failed to execute, just like the product on the floor last year. F- grade from me. Same old draft, and feels like same old product on the floor this year.

I think the Pacers did well with Paul George. He's got good upside and at worst I see him as an NBA rotation player. I'd give a B+ grade. The NBA is about talent and the Pacers did the right thing if they thought he was best player available. I realize they didn't get a PG, but they'll have another opportunity for it.

I think at this stage it's too soon to focus in exclusively on one position. The Pacers just need more talent and I think Paul George is pretty talented, especially in the context of what is a pretty weak draft IMO.

I know a lot of people are disappointed because not too long ago it was a foregone conclusion that the pick would be involved in some trade. I'm really not surprised there wasn't a trade.

Also, notice there weren't any trades involved with any of the lottery picks. In fact, the #17 pick was the highest pick to be dealt. That tells you how demanding teams were of the return they would be getting for their lotto picks. It just doesn't surprise me that there weren't any moves with the way GMs in this league work.

Don't really care for Lance Stephenson's game but, like all second rounders, it's no big deal. It's a crapshoot when you got that far into the draft.

*Edit: Cole Aldrich picked at #11 did get traded, but my point remains.
    Last edited by d_c; 06-25-2010 at 01:10 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by captainC View Post
    I voted F, not for who we drafted, but for stringing us all out with all the BS in regards to trades.

As far as im concerned, the grade is based on the fact that upper management bluntly said "we wont be keeping the 10" and yet today they are backtracking on that statement.

No excuses, our front office failed to execute, just like the product on the floor last year. F- grade from me. Same old draft, and feels like same old product on the floor this year.
    It takes two to tango... if all you get offered is crap, why dance with crap?
    (some of the thing about the draft was was driven by the media, pure rumors... I'm pretty sure our front office never ever said in a statement we are 100% trading the pick.)

Seriously? I rather make no trade than a bad one, simple as that... our expirings will become more valuable as the FA market settles and even more so at the trade deadline... Folks, the off season has only started!
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Lurking

F does seem a little bit harsh, but Larry did say the time to win was now. We are not going to win right now.

I understand that some of these rumors were thrown out there by some 18yr old blogger etc. etc. but Larry was also in on the mix. I just want action, not rumor.

Even if Larry was only offered trash then fine don't trade. But this was a grade of the draft, and only the draft. And based on all the hype leading up the the draft, It was a big letdown and the reason for my grade. I am being overly harsh, i know.

A+

I rarely get excited about a player the Pacers or Colts draft. Those few times when i am excited the player turns out great, and this is one of those rare times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post

at first i felt the same, but thinking about it, how many teams actually did address their pg needs, aside from the wizards? miami was very similar to indy in that they didnt bite on a 2nd round pg- there has to be a reason for this imo.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

its not grading your enjoyment of the draft but how well Larry performed . If we were just caring about how the draft turned out for you personally i figure a lot would be dependent on your company and the activities present at your viewing location. It should have nothing to do with the excitement you built due to sports writers or "inside" sources". thats all irrelevant.:-). Oh and why was Bird mixing it up with an 18 year old blogger. Was this a fight or umm fun you are talking about. wheres your source.
    Quote Originally Posted by captainC View Post
    F does seem a little bit harsh, but Larry did say the time to win was now. We are not going to win right now.

I understand that some of these rumors were thrown out there by some 18yr old blogger etc. etc. but Larry was also in on the mix. I just want action, not rumor.

Even if Larry was only offered trash then fine don't trade. But this was a grade of the draft, and only the draft. And based on all the hype leading up the the draft, It was a big letdown and the reason for my grade. I am being overly harsh, i know.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 06-25-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

soley based on the drafting of players, I gave it an A.

A-

We were unable to adequately address a need, so we decided to swing for the fences with a couple of guys with a lot of potential. The only real "WTF?" for me was drafting Reid, but trading him for Magnum made more sense.

I would rather trade Rush and an expiring for a quality veteran PG than draft one not named John Wall.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I don't see how a grade can be given for a year or so.

pacers didn't address their point guard and big player need. So an F. But if there weren't any good ones available at 10, that isn't the pacers fault. If George is the 2nd or third best player taken in this draft then an A.

Right now I have no idea
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-25-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Lurking

I never said larry was fighting 18yr bloggers, I meant larry, bloggers, everyone was in the mix with rumors and so he should be held accountable as well.

no source needed.

I give the Pacers a B for this years draft.

I like the players we got. George is a solid pick at 10, I watched everything I could on him last night and I am impressed with his game, his demeanor, and his absolute commitment to getting better. I think it's great that he has a connection with danny. Those two on the wing will be a lovely sight.

I think we get our PG through a trade. We have 40 plus million in expiring contracts (I believe) , we will make a trade at some point this Summer. So not getting one in the draft outside of John Wall is ok with me.

I would of loved to been able to pick-up Udoh, I had him 1 on my top five, but at least I can watch him here in Oakland.

Lance is a great pick-up in the second round. He needs some mentoring, but has a very high upside. If he can mature and work hard on his game he will be a steal for us. He gets to the rim and finishes nicely. Sure there are other negatives about him, but I think he is an awesome pick for us in the second round. Can't wait to see him in Summer League. If he doesn't pan out, it's not a big deal.

I won't get into Magnum Rolle. But the name alone makes him an interesting player. I have to do some more research.

I think we will answer the PG and maybe the PF via trade this Summer. Our assists are too good. So this draft was a success for us because of George alone, IMO. He is going to be a special player, has a bit of Tracy McGrady in him, at least his game reminds me of a young McGrady.

I would have given an A if we had gotten a PF, but beggers can't be choosers, I'll take what we got and hope it works out. Summer league should be a lot of fun for us this year.
    Last edited by odeez; 06-25-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

i had to give it an A. King George will be a stud!

I voted a B, but it's more like a B+.

Paul George...very happy about this pick. Lance is as solid a pick as you can have in the 2nd round in terms of talent.

Just wish the Pacers could have moved up to select either Hassan (guess Lance and Hassan might be a bit much), Willie Warren or Armon Johnson. That would have prompted an easy A vote.

We should definitely circle back around and vote on the Pacer's offseason once the Pacers have made their trades to land a PG.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!