Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major iPhone 4 flaw

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Major iPhone 4 flaw

Just picked up my iPhone 4, and yes, the signal is weak enough in my house to replicate the problem exactly. It's almost funny.

BUT - the iphone, so long as it has at least some signal, seems to have fewer problems with distortion in the call, suggesting that it holds onto calls better (as long as my flesh doesn't touch that little black line and cut off the signal entirely).

It's too bad that this has been such a dominant story. The phone's added features really are an improvement over the previous version, and I think pretty much every iphone user remembers how crazy in love they became with their phones in the first days after their initial purchase. There really is nothing that compares to it, and I carried a blackberry for years and was recently forced to carry around an android for a month, so I'm not flying blind when I say that.

Oh well, win some, lose some.

By the way, as I was leaving, I was interviewed by a public radio reporter who asked me why I didn't let the news story scare me off of buying the phone, so if you hear a story of a guy who says "no machine is perfect, whether you're buying a multi-tool for $20 or a Rolls-Royce." That's me. I also said that while I was technically buying an object, I was also buying the best customer support system in the business (or something to that effect.)

Who knows if it will see airtime.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Still waiting for mine............

Though I hear I get a free bumper case if I want one now? Wasn't interested, but free's an awfully good price to sample one.

Steve Jobs does a great job here showing that this is hardly 'an iPhone problem' and is, in fact, a smart phone problem. Including what some consider to be their 'precious' Droid phone or Blackberry.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still want an iphone, but apple dropped the ball on this one (and I LOVE apple products, mostly my new macs)

The customer service as atrocious, and from what I read (full disclosure I have not watched it yet) Jobs sounded really defensive.

I am surprised they are not doing a recall, but at least they are trying to fix the issue (with the case)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still waiting for mine............

Though I hear I get a free bumper case if I want one now? Wasn't interested, but free's an awfully good price to sample one.

Tell them to just put you down for an iPhone 5. It might be here before your i4 anyway!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Steve Jobs does a great job here showing that this is hardly 'an iPhone problem' and is, in fact, a smart phone problem. Including what some consider to be their 'precious' Droid phone or Blackberry.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html
    The video mentions something about "dropped calls"? What the hell are "dropped calls"?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    The video mentions something about "dropped calls"? What the hell are "dropped calls"?
    When you are talking to someone and you lose signal and you get cut off, just like the person on the other end hung up.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    When you are talking to someone and you lose signal and you get cut off, just like the person on the other end hung up.
    I was being facetious......

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have not even seen a 4g other than pictures.

I'm not very happy with my 3G with OS 4 on it, it's slow as ***** navigating to different screens and drops wireless all the time. It forgets passwords to secure networks.

My old 2G that still has firmware 1.1.4 on it, is faster has way more space (both are 8GB). I guess OS 4 takes up so much more room, I'm missing almost a GB of space. My old 2G never drops the wireless connection or forgets passwords.

So far my 2G is better in every way than my 3G. I don't have the data plan, so the 3G network means nothing to me. I thought it could be due to Jailbreaking and Unlocking, but I've talked to a few people with stock 3G's that say the same thing.

I have noticed my 3G is slower running iOS 4.

I just upgraded my 3g yesterday because I heard iOS 4 was slower.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised. It actually seems a little faster to me. Prior to the upgraded, it seemed to be getting a little slower over time, so maybe the full upgrade / restore cycle cleared things up a bit.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Doug or Hicks, is either of yours the 3GS? It has a bigger processor 600MHz vs the 3G's 412MHz.

I hate the 3G after the most recent operating system updated. I could build a new phone faster than it opens text messages.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Hoop, mine is a 3G, not 3GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Doug or Hicks, is either of yours the 3GS? It has a bigger processor 600MHz vs the 3G's 412MHz.
    3G.

I did notice the text message interface was a little 'laggy' today.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I called Radioshack for the last time today. Apple's still dicking them around, and I'm tired of waiting. I can't believe something I pre-ordered on June 15th can't be in my hands by July ****ing 21st.

I went to att.com, and now I'm told my order should ship in 7-14 days. Turns out my order is through AT&T "Premier" (Business), and I think that's why the estimated shipping is sooner than 3 weeks (as it is on apple.com).

I was surprised at first, but then I remembered that at the time of my 3G's purchase in '08, I was teaching, and by proving that with a pay stub at the time, I became eligible for a discount on my monthly fees. They must have processed it back then as a business order to process my discount, and so when I went through the updating process on att.com (having logged in via my cell's account) today, that must be why I was able to make a Premier order.

So, on the one hand, that makes me happy, for it's faster than I expected, and this way it ships right to my house. But on the other hand, had I known this was possible the whole ****ing time, I would have done this in June, and now I might not get the phone until early August.

FINALLY got my phone this afternoon! Can't believe that it's taken this long, but at least it's finally here.

I can't get over how sharp this screen is. Unreal.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I finally got my iPhone 4 yesterday.

I've tried to replicate the signal issue but I was unsuccessful. I guess that's a win for me.

I did, however, sign up for the Bumper/case program. I was going to purchase a case or bumper to protect my phone anyway. So hey! I get a free one.

Overall I'm impressed with the A4 processor and the responsiveness on the phone. I am so used to my 3G being such a dog when it comes to opening apps and texting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What is the upgrade cost from a 3GS?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    What is the upgrade cost from a 3GS?
    $199 for the 16GB iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    $199 for the 16GB iPhone 4
    If he bought a 3GS new last year, it'll be a lot more, no?

Mood

If he bought a 3GS new last year, it'll be a lot more, no?
    Well, at&t is letting anyone within a half-year left of their contract do an early upgrade. I am not sure where he falls.