Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major iPhone 4 flaw

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Major iPhone 4 flaw

I know many of you are iPhone users and some had pre-ordered it...just ran into this news today:

The newly released Apple iPhone 4 appears to have a significant design flaw that means the device loses network signal when you hold it in your hand.
    Reports are flying across the internet that highlight the problem, and TechRadar has discovered that its own handset is badly affected by the same problem.
    UPDATE: Apple has commented on the problem, insisting that all phones suffer from the flaw to a degree.
    We found that holding the handset quickly brought the handset down from five bars of 3G coverage within our offices to limited edge or even no data network coverage at all.
    But you don't have to take our word for it – here's our video footage of the incident.
    You will notice that as the video draws to a close, the phone actually loses all network coverage.
    It's a major problem for the latest iPhone – which saw plastic bands placed around the metal rim to prevent aerial problems.
    This flaw was first flagged up in the MacRumors' forum, but we had to do our own video to see if this was an actual problem in the UK.
    Worryingly, it seems that it is. Although when we tested a call, it didn't really seem to affect the quality. But even if this is just a visual flaw, it's definitely a problem.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Major iPhone 4 flaw

These kinds of things are why I love my Droid.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

And why I love my EVO. What sense is having a cell phone if you cant even hold it in your hand.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dukins For This Useful Post:

Apple's saying it's a software problem, not a design flaw - and will be fixed soon. We'll see.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Steve Jobs said just don't hold it the "wrong" way.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

hey Apple! you're holding it wrong!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Meh. Pretty easy to not hold it the "wrong way". I thought those black slits were higher up on the phone than they are. I just picked up my phone without thinking about it to see how this might effect me when I upgrade, and I hold it in a way where this won't matter. I usually grip the phone at the mid section, not the bottom. This is pretty easy to avoid IMO.

You honestly have to hold the phone a certain way? Dumb...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Not the first cell phone (or the last) to be able to say that about, but I agree it'd be nice to not have to even think about it. I just don't care.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These kinds of things are why I love my Droid.
    There has never been a perfect machine. iPhones are not perfect. Your droid is not perfect.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

My droid is self sentient...

Honestly, it's not perfect. I ***** about it a lot, but I ***** about a lot of things pertaining to technology. Personally, iPhone, Droid, that new 4G phone coming out for Sprint, they're all cool pieces of technology, I don't understand why there is always a constant pissing contest between them.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I have been thinking about getting a Droid. I don't want an iPhone because AT&T is terrible out here, you literally can drop calls in downtown D.C. which has never happened to me with Verizon. What the differences between the iPhone and the Droid?

Mood

Apple is releasing a software fix for this issue next week. They are saying as early as Monday.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    There has never been a perfect machine. iPhones are not perfect. Your droid is not perfect.
    Well it's damn near close!

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Apple is releasing a software fix for this issue next week. They are saying as early as Monday.
    What are they doing... making the reception bars less accurate? ...Doing away with the bars entirely? Making them refresh at a slower pace so you can't see them quickly change when you just look at the phone and change your hand position?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    What are they doing... making the reception bars less accurate? ...Doing away with the bars entirely? Making them refresh at a slower pace so you can't see them quickly change when you just look at the phone and change your hand position?
    I have no idea.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is why I'm no longer an early adopter to new technology. Especially where Apple is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._ios_4_01.html

FTA "Readers report that Apple's tech support forums originally confirmed that a iOS 4.0.1 software fix addressing the issue would ship early next week (as early as Monday), before the comments were subsequently taken down along with all the other related discussion about the matter.

The fix is expected to address a issue in iOS 4 related to radio frequency calibration of the baseband. Readers who saw the original forum discussions say that the issue is believed to occur when switching frequencies; because the lag is allegedly not calibrated correctly, it results in the device reporting "no service" rather than switching to the frequency with the best signal to noise ratio.

iOS 4 introduced some enhancements to how the baseband selects which frequencies to use, so it makes sense that the error may have crept into those changes. Additionally, this explains why iOS 4 has also caused similar problems for iPhone 3GS users.

Additional readers have shared other related experiences that also corroborate the idea that the issue is related to iOS 4's software control of the baseband, including the fact that the issue seems easily reproducible when connecting to a WWAN 3G network but does not appear when connecting to a Microcell 3G. If the problem were simply hardware related issues of the antenna design, it should only affect iPhone 4 units with that new design and should occur at all times, regardless of the tower type. That is not being observed."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Its just something for people to complain about! I dont have an iPhone 4 nor will i be getting one considering i just got my 3GS in March. It sounds like Apple has a solution, so whats the big deal people???? Cell Phones are becoming like cars and computers or even better like sports teams! If its not what you use or like, you hate it and talk smack about it, then making your choice look so much better!!!!

Sorry about the rant, you all have a nice day now!
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Quote Originally Posted by the jaddler View Post
    Its just something for people to complain about! I dont have an iPhone 4 nor will i be getting one considering i just got my 3GS in March. It sounds like Apple has a solution, so whats the big deal people???? Cell Phones are becoming like cars and computers or even better like sports teams! If its not what you use or like, you hate it and talk smack about it, then making your choice look so much better!!!!

Sorry about the rant, you all have a nice day now!
    Well I think when your cell phone can't make phone calls you have the right to complain. Quite frankly Apple should have never released the phone in this condition as its a rather large problem.

I'll tell you what the major iPhone 4 flaw is: Apple's epic failure with getting pre-orders fulfilled!!

I pre-ordered mine w/ Radio Shack on the 15th. You'd think that just MIGHT get me one on the 24th. Nope.

Now it's Monday, I call in to Radio Shack, and they still don't have them, but the manager is going to be involved in some kind of "conference call" in about 45 minutes and it was suggested I check back in with them sometime after that to see what the latest is.

Why do I get the feeling is the message will boil down to, "Sucks to be you, come pick it up when we get them in on July 22nd, but thanks for the cash, which we'll still gladly take!?"

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Well I think when your cell phone can't make phone calls you have the right to complain. Quite frankly Apple should have never released the phone in this condition as its a rather large problem.
    I understand this to a point. Yes it is a flaw but it sounds like they have realized it and have a fix for it. I just don't see why everyone is so huffy and puffy about it. But to each there own...

Oh and Hicks, well I would not be happy either to put it nicely!!!! I think this would cause me not to do business with Radio Shack but sounds like this is just a major Apple FAIL!!!!! Good luck sir
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by the jaddler View Post
    I understand this to a point. Yes it is a flaw but it sounds like they have realized it and have a fix for it. I just don't see why everyone is so huffy and puffy about it. But to each there own...

Oh and Hicks, well I would not be happy either to put it nicely!!!! I think this would cause me not to do business with Radio Shack but sounds like this is just a major Apple FAIL!!!!! Good luck sir
    Because it made it through Apple QC...Apple is a company that prides itself on technology and quality and then they have this monumental screw up...

Allegedly some phones might be shipping tomorrow for an overnight delivery to my local Radio Shack (they "hope").

We'll see.....