Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Paul George "Welcome to the Pacers" thread ..

Default Re: Official Paul George "Welcome to the Pacers" thread ..

No trade (yet), but Pacers thrilled with George

June 24, 2010

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_100624.html

Two things, right off the top:

# The Pacers drafted Paul George for the Pacers.

# He isn't a point guard, but that didn't douse their enthusiasm about the selection of the 6-9 small forward from Fresno State with the 10th pick in the NBA Draft on Thursday night.

Despite numerous rumors involving trades in the days leading into the draft, the Pacers made it clear they intended to keep George, whose 3-point shooting, ability to create shots and overall offensive game give him a chance to contribute right away.

"We drafted him for us," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "Absolutely."

O'Brien, who doesn't study college prospects during the season – he's otherwise engaged – first became aware of George at the Chicago pre-draft camp.

"I was just observing the players and after I got done seeing him, I just said, 'Who is this kid Paul George?' " O'Brien said. "And everybody said, 'Well, he can play.' "

George has drawn comparisons to Danny Granger and in fact has been working out with the Pacers' star in Los Angeles.

"I'm extremely happy," George said. "I look at Danny as a bigger brother and mentor to myself. We have been working out and training together out in Los Angeles, so we kind of have a bond, you know, as it is already, so I'm extremely happy to be in this situation and to be with this team and organization, I mean, I just can't wait to start. "

Though Granger and George both are natural small forwards, O'Brien envisions playing them together at times while giving him more flexibility to employ small lineups.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep">

George averaged 16.8 points last season at Fresno State and had a career 3-point percentage of .396 in two seasons. He also contributed 7.2 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.2 steals as a sophomore.

O'Brien believes George has the ability to create his own shot as well as stretch the defense with his long-range shooting.

With five expiring contracts, the Pacers still have assets that can be leveraged to acquire the starting point guard that tops their priority list. In the meantime, they believe they've drafted a player that can strengthen the wing rotation and contribute immediately.

“We’re very happy to select a player who is very talented," said Bird. "Paul is multi-skilled, he can play two positions and with his work ethic, he has a chance to be a very good player in this league.”

George said he's ready to get to work on developing his game for the NBA.

"I think I can help with consistency," he said. "Being 6-9, I can do pretty much a lot of things on the court and I want to take this summer leading up to the NBA season to really work on my game to make sure I'm ready. I definitely don't want to come into a situation where a team that's on the verge of winning and be a slacker."

Though a work in progress defensively, George has the instincts and aggression to become solid in that phase.

"I don't think he is a great defensive player at this point in time," said O'Brien. "What he does have is very aggressive defensive hands. When I look at college players in workouts, whether we're conducting them or not, every time you see somebody trying to deflect everything, that's very important.

"You can talk about lateral quickness, which is very key and he's certainly athletic. But he goes after the ball – he goes after passes, he goes after dribbles, so that's something he's going to have to develop.

"Coming from a mid-major like Fresno to the big leagues you don't expect him to be a great defensive player right now but he's going to be pretty quickly a guy that's going to be able to play offensive basketball in the NBA."

Any mystery about the team's interest in local legend Gordon Hayward was extinguished when Utah selected the Butler star just in front of the Pacers at No. 9.

"He's a heck of a basketball player and he showed up really well here in the workouts," O'Brien said. "Certainly he's a hometown favorite and we wish him well out at Utah. It doesn't surprise anybody in our organization that Gordon was a lottery pick. We think he has a chance to be an excellent basketball player."
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've read nothing but great things about his work ethic and character... so I see no Shawne Williams connection at all...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    Though Granger and George both are natural small forwards, O'Brien envisions playing them together at times while giving him more flexibility to employ small lineups.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I'm totally stoked about the pick. The guy is intelligent with a ton of upside. Intelligence + upside = great

So long Mike Dunleavy!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

I like him.

I don't follow college ball at all so I'd never heard about him until they called his name.

But there's magic when a player puts on that blue and gold hat.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Very similar skillsets; similar body; both with 'talent' and 'potential'...

But that wasn't what hurt Shawne... it was his character and work ethic that did him in... sooo...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Granger and George can play together... I don't think there's any question that George can play the 2. (scouting reports even said he could.)

Banned

Memphis fans are wanting to trade Mike Conley for George if they keep Greivis Vasquez.

Well after seeing all the interviews, I am thrilled this guy is a Pacer. I bet this guy is going to be the best player in the summer league.

Brandon Rush you are on notice.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAustin View Post
    Memphis fans are wanting to trade Mike Conley for George if they keep Greivis Vasquez.

Those Memphis fans can crap in one hand . and hold "want" in the other.. and see which one holds more weight... (as the old saying goes..)
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I am absolutely excited about Paul George! I really hope he can become a star and help Granger lead this team back to glory. THANK YOU UTAH!!!

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think me and my cousin were the only ones in the Fieldhouse who were happy we picked George. I'm so pumped. Hopefully this is Rifleman and Reggie 2.0.......except with better results.

Thats right Day-V (cousin) we screamed and yelled for happiness when Utah selected Hayward at 9. Paul George is going to be amazing! Now just get us PG Larry!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BoomBaby3105 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby3105 View Post
    Thats right Day-V (cousin) we screamed and yelled for happiness when Utah selected Hayward at 9. Paul George is going to be amazing! Now just get us PG Larry!!
    My friend and I did the same thing, we couldn't be happier with the 9th and 10th picks!

Mood

BoomBaby and I were scared sh*tless at first with our pick. It sounded like Stern said "Cole" instead of "Paul". I thought we were drafting Aldrich, and I was ready to break something.

too bad him and Granger both play SF
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

DX:
    Indiana confirms they are keeping Paul George....No trade to NJ like some reporting. Really really happy for them. He's gonna be a star.
    2010-06-24 19:44:00

Man, I'm really happy. This is the guy I picked in that poll we had a while ago. I hope he reaches that potential and keeps working hard. Could you imagine if he became McGrady-esque?

So happy to not be PISSED at the Pacers on draft night. Thank you, finally.

I think we'll get a PG, one of those wings has to go...I'm so pleased with getting Paul that I'll overlook the serious character flaws in Lance Stephenson.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    too bad him and Granger both play SF
    George can play SG too...

^Yeah I doubt this position thing is an issue. If you read between the lines it sounds like Danny had a say in the pick, that he wants to play alongside George. George mentioned in the interview with Denari that his goal will be to hit jumpers and take defensive pressure off of Danny.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to OrganizedConfusion For This Useful Post:

If you go back and watch PG workout interview on Pacer.com.. Paul says he wants to play SG. ____?, George, Granger, Hans, Hibbert

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoomBaby3105 For This Useful Post:

Welcome to the Pacers Paul George.

Can't say I'm thrilled about this pick, but I like that Bird and co. are actually going out on a limb in the draft for a change.

Question: At his peak, do you think Paul George can replicate Dunleavy's first full season with the Pacers? 19.1 PPG 5.2 RPG 3.2 APG. Realistically.

Mood

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep">

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Welcome to the Pacers Paul George.

Can't say I'm thrilled about this pick, but I like that Bird and co. are actually going out on a limb in the draft for a change.

Question: At his peak, do you think Paul George can replicate Dunleavy's first full season with the Pacers? 19.1 PPG 5.2 RPG 3.2 APG. Realistically.
    At his peak I think he can be better personally. I think he'll be a better rebounder, a more capable defender, and certainly has the potential to average 20-25 ppg if he can put it all together. The key will be how assertive/aggressive he is. I just don't want him to be like Brandon; all kinds of talent but passive/inconsistent. I have faith he's going to turn into a "steal" at 10.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ESutt7 For This Useful Post:

I was really starting to freak out when Udoh was taken at #6 followed by Monroe and Aminu at #7 and #8. But we were very fortunate that the Jazz were kind enough to take Hayward off the board and leave us with someone like Paul. I think that the Pacers got a lot of talent at #10. I hope he can play some SG, but even if he can, I'm not necessarily in the camp that wants to dump Rush. I think Granger and Rush could continue to start and George could play time at both wing positions. I think we could get a decent PG with our expirings. We have a very good young center in Hibbert. Then we'll just need to upgrade PF; I REALLY hope Tyler is healthy this year, though.

I wasn't thrilled about them taking Stephenson over Lawal, so I'm hoping that the Pacers' scouts saw lots of great things about Stephenson I don't know about yet. I was really hoping for Mikhail Torrance with that last pick. Did he have horrible workouts or what? Maybe invite him to camp since he is an undrafted free agent?

I can't believe San Antonio nabbed James Anderson. Good grief!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The more I find out about this guy the more I like. The more highlights I see and interviews I hear the more I like. He looks to be a play maker. He can hit any type of shot. He has an inside and outside game. He can play above the rim too. I think he will bring a lot of excitement to the team. Plus he already has a connection with Granger, even better. Granger and George, I like the sound of that. I am very excited right now. He can turn into a legit star, he has the potential. Now we need to be patient, give him some room to grow.

I do think he will do quite well in the summer league as well. A lot of times when guys come from a school that doesn't get much coverage they can go down after the workouts and such because they are going against better competition. George did the opposite. He has great size too. Him and Granger are very long players on the wing, can deflect a lot of passes and get some blocks too. I am probably being a bit to excited about this, but I think this kid is going to be pretty good.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: