Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Official Paul George "Welcome to the Pacers" thread ..

Default Re: Official Paul George "Welcome to the Pacers" thread ..

After having read, heard and seen all but positive things about this guy, I'm starting to wonder: what are his weaknesses?
    Thank you Jeff.

I'll go ahead and be the negative nancy since it seems everyone else is sipping the koolaid.

Im not that impressed with this pick, another wing player, just what we need. I understand that there wasn't many other options and Bird was just drafting the best player available and I think he probably accomplished that. But I fail to see this improving the team too much, we are already fully stocked at the wing positions. At best I see him as another trade piece or allowing Rush to be a trade piece. What are his weaknesses? Looks like defense is his weakness, just like the rest of the team...

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears
    Bananas....uh?... Is it to early for nickname nominations?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MaHa3000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Very similar skillsets; similar body; both with 'talent' and 'potential'...
    Exept that Shawne was lazy and didn't care and Paul seems to want to work hard and get better.

That's where they differ and why Paul will be a great pick. Granger is a very hard worker and that will help Paul to really understand what it takes to be good in the league. I also hope it will help in get in great shape and not hit the wall.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

I just love the Paul George pick. Someone posted earlier that he hopes to have Granger and Paul on the court and go with a smaller lineup.

JOB sucks and is already thinking about putting Granger at the 4. Good lord!

Granger at the 3, and I think Paul has the quickness and athleticism to be a 2. That's a crazy big lineup! A 6'9" SG! Are you kidding me!?

Just need an athletic PF and a PG.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah I've heard no doubts that George can play the 2... we just need a coach that will play George at 2 and Granger at 3...

I was reading back over the Chad Ford mock drafts and variations. Tons of teams were interested in George, some trying to move up to get him. Words like superstar used, but also bust. Comparisons to Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson. I just hope he works, he has the physical gifts and skills, it seems, I just hope his mind is strong.

Roy being on the team can be invaluable, imho, in that he can take these young guys under his wing now. Show them the dedication it takes to get better.

Hopefully that will rub off, because we have some picks this year that will be more about what they have upstairs (mental toughness to prepare) than limits to their potential.

If Larry can turn any of the expirings into, at least, a glue type point guard without taking on a big cumbersome salary, I'll consider this a really nice off season.
    Last edited by Speed; 06-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I was reading back over the Chad Ford mock drafts and variations. Tons of teams were interested in George, some trying to move up to get him. Words like superstar used, but also bust. Comparisons to Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson. I just hope he works, he has the physical gifts and skills, it seems, I just hope his mind is strong.

Roy being on the team can be invaluable, imho, in that he can take these young guys under his wing now. Show them the dedication it takes to get better.

Hopefully that will rub off, because we have some picks this year that will be more about what they have upstairs (mental toughness to prepare) than limits to their potential.
    From everything I've read and all the draft interviews I've watched he seems to have a great head on his shoulders... I wouldn't be surprise to see him progress like Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    From everything I've read and all the draft interviews I've watched he seems to have a great head on his shoulders... I wouldn't be surprise to see him progress like Danny.
    Let's hope! I'm glad he wanted to be here, as he said on Twitter. Glad he has a good relationship with Danny already, and hope Danny continues to mentor him. I think he could be a stud.

Banned

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I'll go ahead and be the negative nancy since it seems everyone else is sipping the koolaid.

Im not that impressed with this pick, another wing player, just what we need. I understand that there wasn't many other options and Bird was just drafting the best player available and I think he probably accomplished that. But I fail to see this improving the team too much, we are already fully stocked at the wing positions. At best I see him as another trade piece or allowing Rush to be a trade piece. What are his weaknesses? Looks like defense is his weakness, just like the rest of the team...
    Except he isn't just another wing player. What have we been clamoring for (other than a PG and PF, which there wasn't one at 10 to pick over George)? A legit Robin to our Batman in Granger (whether Granger is a Batman for a championship team is up to debate, but on this team he is our Batman). George can become that Robin (maybe Batman?). Who on the team now, or who could we have drafted at 10 can we say that about? Rush is a nice player, but would be better off the bench. Dunleavy, who knows if he will be healthy again and we know he is not Robin. We really don't have a guy that can be the legit number two next to Granger. Paul George can be just that.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    I don't get it when ppl say George and Granger are similar. Body wise yeah they are but George seems way more athletic than Granger. The combo of George and Granger has that Jordan-Pippen feel to it and George is Jordan, as far as being more athletic than Pippen who will be played by Granger. If they are even half as good as that combo we won't need a dominate PG, i'll take a sharpshooting PG to play the part of Kerr.

Damn! I didn't even know he could dunk like that....