Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Indiana Pacers' search for a point guard continues - Indystar - Wells

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default The Indiana Pacers' search for a point guard continues - Indystar - Wells

The Indiana Pacers' search for a point guard continues.

Unable to trade their No. 10 pick in the NBA draft Thursday night, the Pacers went with the next best option: Paul George, a 6-9 sophomore wing player from Fresno State.

Multiple media outlets reported the Pacers offered Danny Granger to New Jersey for a package that included All-Star point guard Devin Harris.
    Not so, said Pacers president Larry Bird.

"It's a rumor," Bird said. "His name comes up all the time. . . . It's going to take more than Devin Harris. Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back, especially throwing No. 10 in there."

In drafting George, the Pacers added a deep threat to their wing rotation.
    "I've liked this kid for a month now," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "What I like about Paul is, I put a tremendous premium on the ability to create your own shot. He almost shot 40 percent from the 3-point line in college."
    The Pacers selected Cincinnati shooting guard Lance Stephenson with the No. 40 pick and Florida State forward Ryan Reid with the No. 57 pick. They then shipped Reid and some cash to Oklahoma City for forward Magnum Rolle, the No. 51 pick.

George will make about $4 million with his two-year guaranteed contract. The Pacers have a team option on the third and fourth years.
    O'Brien said he became a fan of George after watching him work out in Chicago.

"I was just observing the players and after I got done seeing him, I just went, 'Who is this kid Paul George?' Everybody said he can play and it was very apparent when I watched tape and we had him in here.
    "He's a guy that is the type of athlete, with his size and scoring ability inside and out, which I think is very, very key in this league."

The Pacers spent months looking for a point guard, but they deemed the No. 10 pick too high to take Kentucky's Eric Bledsoe and Texas' Avery Bradley. Oklahoma City drafted Bledsoe with the 18th pick. Boston took Bradley at No. 19.

The Pacers also had talks with Oklahoma City and New Orleans. They will resume their quest to find a starting point guard once the free agency period begins July 1.

George, who entered the draft after just two years at Fresno State, said he was motivated during his draft workouts because he wasn't as well-known as some of the other lottery picks.
    He averaged 16.8 points and 7.2 rebounds last season with the Bulldogs of the Western Athletic Conference.

George has been working out in Los Angeles with Granger. They share the same agent.

"I think I can help with consistency," George said. "Being 6-9, I can do pretty much a lot of things on the court and I want to take this summer leading up to the NBA season to really work on my game to make sure I'm ready. I definitely don't want to come into a situation where a team that's on the verge of winning and be a slacker."

George and Stephenson will join Granger, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones and Brandon Rush on the wing. He is added insurance in case the Pacers trade somebody at that position. Dunleavy is headed into the final year of his contract.

"You know how much I love the ability to play small and the more 3-point shooters I have available to me that are skilled and athletic, the more I can play the type of game to give us the best chance to win next year," O'Brien said about George.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ey-pick-George

Is it just me that cringes whenever JOB makes comments? Its like he is a parody of himself really....

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Indiana Pacers' search for a point guard continues - Indystar - Wells

Next year, can we draft a coach? Please?

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: The Indiana Pacers' search for a point guard continues - Indystar - Wells

If anything, the Pacers situation this draft shows just how hard it is to consummate a trade. I mean from the sounds of it, Bird talked to every team in the league.

Wasn't too long ago when everyone thought it was a foregone conclusion that the Pacers would be trading the pick. It was all but done. Now it seems everyone likes Paul George and they will be keeping the pick.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Mood

"I think I can help with consistency," George said. "Being 6-9, I can do pretty much a lot of things on the court and I want to take this summer leading up to the NBA season to really work on my game to make sure I'm ready. I definitely don't want to come into a situation where a team that's on the verge of winning and be a slacker."
    I love it.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Leave it to JO'B to destroy whatever excitement I had after tonight.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

PacerDude

I wish JOB would use this team's assets to their best abilities and stop being such a crappy coach. His schemes suck so much. They aren't basketball related. You can't just throw 5 random guys on the court and tell them to just throw up as many threes as possible... you won't win...

I just hope he doesn't screw up the chemistry between PG, DG, and Hibbert before JOB gets booted for another crappy season. What we need to do is hire Butler's coach, stevens.... I think he's a great player's coach and the team would respond to him in a similar way that OKC's young team has responded to their coach.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"You know how much I love the ability to play small and the more 3-point shooters I have available to me that are skilled and athletic, the more I can play the type of game to give us the best chance to win next year," O'Brien said about George.

I expect to hear that JOB's contract has been extended anytime now.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I expect to hear that JOB's contract has been extended anytime now.
    My Pacers "fandom" would be put in serious geopardy if a move that retarded would be made now .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

and I have ZERO confidence in the ability of our FRONT OFFICE to do anything more than walk and chew bubblegum.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

People seem to be all up in arms about Rush's harmless tweeting last night. However, I found Wells to be much more annoying.

Pacers take Lance Stephenson with the No. 40 pick. They're starting lineup is going to consist of five wing players.

Need a wing player? The Pacers have plenty of them to choose from. Dunleavy, Rush, Granger, D. Jones, George, Stephenson
    He's a bit snide and condescending.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    People seem to be all up in arms about Rush's harmless tweeting last night. However, I found Wells to be much more annoying.

yes...his usage of "They're" instead of "Their" is really annoying!

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

and I have ZERO confidence in the ability of our FRONT OFFICE to do anything more than walk and chew bubblegum.

Does that mean you don't think they can rub their stomach as well?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Does that mean you don't think they can rub their stomach as well?
    Three things at once? That's a stretch.

Mood

I haven't seen Rush's comments...but can you blame him? They just drafted a Top 10 player to take his job. Wouldn't that upset you?

Mood

Calling the draft **** last night to me sure sounded like like he was pissed to be getting new competition... that just rubs me wrong... for once in your life have confidence in your self! (then again if he ever did would we be so elated with drafting so many wings?)

I haven't seen Rush's comments...but can you blame him? They just drafted a Top 10 player to take his job. Wouldn't that upset you?
    Of course. The thing is that the comments aren't even remotely incendiary.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Of course. The thing is that the comments aren't even remotely incendiary.
    Calling the draft **** sure sounds like he was upset with what was going on... then claiming someone has to be going?

Maybe it's just me...

unfortunately not everyone is PR savvy...Twitter definitely proves that.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Three things at once? That's a stretch.
    Well, isn't that why they have Jim Morris, David Morway, and Larry Bird?

Each of them probably have an assigned task of one of the three things, and sometimes they might each be doing their own task at the same time the other two are doing theirs.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Calling the draft **** sure sounds like he was upset with what was going on... then claiming someone has to be going?

Maybe it's just me...
    in Brandon's defense, he does "talk" like that all the time on Twitter...don't really think he was calling the draft ****, just how he talks on there.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    in Brandon's defense, he does "talk" like that all the time on Twitter...don't really think he was calling the draft ****, just how he talks on there.
    Like I said... It could just be me... his attitude could be just wearing and rubbing me the wrong way finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Leave it to JO'B to destroy whatever excitement I had after tonight.
    what? you don't like the part where he said he can create his own shot, "What I like about Paul is, I put a tremendous premium on the ability to create your own shot"

Amazing how people read what they want to read. No one noticed that part, only focused on the three point shot and spacing the court comments
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-25-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    what? you don't like the part where he said he can create his own shot, "What I like about Paul is, I put a tremendous premium on the ability to create your own shot"

Amazing how people read what they want to read
    The way its written is like as if he can create his own 3 point shot which he shoots 40%...

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    The way its written is like as if he can create his own 3 point shot which he shoots 40%...
    No, one sentence was he can create his own shot which Jim puts a great premuim on. Next sentence, he shoots almost 40% from three point range.

Putting those two sentences through logic it makes no sense for him to be excited about Paul creating his own 3 point shot - I mean what does that even mean. How many players can create their own three-point shot - I'm not even sure I have ever heard that discussed.

OK, so obviously - it was two separate sentence and two separate thoughts. Paul is capable of creating his own shot - something the pacers really need. Also as a bonus Paul is an excellent long-range shooter as evidenced by his almost 40% 3-pt. shooting.

Of course the ability to shoot the three can help a player create his own shot by forciing the defender to play up and allowing the offensive player to get around the defndder for an open look inside the arc

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Amazing how people read what they want to read. No one noticed that part, only focused on the three point shot and spacing the court comments
    His talking about George's shooting ability isn't an issue for me. The small lineup talk sure is.

Somebody wake me up when it's next summer.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post: