Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

I hate to do this, but after watching that video and seeing that George is 6'9", he reminds me of this guy:

Tall, long arms, everything appears to be slow because he's smooth, and from the article, he can be hot or cold. I'd be happy to pick up George because I haven't heard any talk of him having a screw loose and he already has a good relationship with Granger.

If he's there when we pick, I'd be happy with him.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Default Re: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

So if New Orleans would be willing to do the Okafor/ Collison for Murphy/ Rush that could possibly mean we would go from a

Ford /Rush /Granger/ Udoh /Hibbert line up

to a

Collison /George /Granger /Okafor /Hibbert line up?

I would like that alot.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MaHa3000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MaHa3000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if New Orleans would be willing to do the Okafor/ Collison for Murphy/ Rush that could possibly mean we would go from a

to a

I would like that alot.
    My thoughts exactly, we get toughness down low with a PG who can dish and a couple guys who can fill it up. Hibbert will be even better next year. We still have Dunn who I think will be back in form. Hopefully Ford will renew his enthusiasm, Hansbrough will in actuality be starting his rookie season. Jones will be there. I would have hope.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

P
    I don't care if we don't make the playoffs this year. I want the bright future. Its like going to the prom with your cousin. Yea, you're at the prom, you're cousin is kinda hot, but she's your cousin.
    I rather be standing outside the prom with the hottest eightgrade girl. Having a good ol' time with a bottle of maddog 20/20. Cuase im going to the prom NEXT year.
    15 will get you 20.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 06-22-2010 at 10:07 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

here's to utah picking hayward!!!
    Murph

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPride33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    What the Pacers should do is agree to trade one of our expiring 10M contracts + Rush to NO for Collison and Okafor and then take this guy @ 10 or the best available player. We solve 3 problems and after the coming year we only have 35M or so in guaranteed contracts. Okafor is slightly overpaid but still brings alot to the table. I don't see Rush ever being a great player that takes you to another level. Is Okafors contract that bad that he's a deal breaker. when not only does he and Collison start (likely) but we have enough contracts going away that the entire core of players we want to keep we will be able too.
    If NO would do this I would be receptive but NO would really want to lose Okafor's salary for this to happen. Murphy and Rush for Collison and Okafor. Use #10 on Aminu or George, one of them will be there.

Damn that is an ugly jumpshot. That would have to be fixed, what is his elbow doing swinging around all over the place? But I'm not too concerned, players can adjust their shot.

His build is interesting. Still looks gawky, like he's going to fill out. When he does, I'm not sure he'll be able to keep up with 2's. Still, that's the kind of build that suggests a guy can blow up as his body catches up with him. Intriguing.

And Hollinger's draft rater puts him at the 10th best talent, so his measurements and stats project pretty well into the NBA.

If we keep the pick, I'm a fan of swinging for the fences at this stage in the draft. Jennings and Bynum were both picked at #10 as high-potential guys who needed time and it turned out well. I could be talked in him over Udoh, but honestly I haven't watched enough tape of either to make a truly informed decision. Still, if you accept that Udoh is the "safe" pick and George is the "high potential" pick my philosophy is to take a shot with the high potential guy. Pacers aren't at the stage yet where they need to draft solid complementary players, we need to try to land an all-star, improbable as it might be.

Addendum: I'm also warming up to the idea of taking Okafor in a package with Collison. We don't need to stockpile massive cap space like Miami, Indianapolis ain't South Beach, we aren't gonna sign two max contracts. Getting a decent overpaid big man isn't the worst thing in the world as long as the rest of your contracts our reasonable, which ours are.
    Last edited by bulldog; 06-22-2010 at 11:50 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, okay. This is an interesting thread. I haven't seen much of the guy, so I have no strong opinion either way, but I'd still rather trade the pick.

to a

I would like that alot.
    I concur. And still have Tyler, Price, McRoberts and expiring contracts. High draft pick next year and sign 2 all star caliber players with cap space. Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Damn that is an ugly jumpshot. That would have to be fixed, what is his elbow doing swinging around all over the place? But I'm not too concerned, players can adjust their shot.

His build is interesting. Still looks gawky, like he's going to fill out. When he does, I'm not sure he'll be able to keep up with 2's. Still, that's the kind of build that suggests a guy can blow up as his body catches up with him. Intriguing.

And Hollinger's draft rater puts him at the 10th best talent, so his measurements and stats project pretty well into the NBA.

If we keep the pick, I'm a fan of swinging for the fences at this stage in the draft. Jennings and Bynum were both picked at #10 as high-potential guys who needed time and it turned out well. I could be talked in him over Udoh, but honestly I haven't watched enough tape of either to make a truly informed decision. Still, if you accept that Udoh is the "safe" pick and George is the "high potential" pick my philosophy is to take a shot with the high potential guy. Pacers aren't at the stage yet where they need to draft solid complementary players, we need to try to land an all-star, improbable as it might be.

Addendum: I'm also warming up to the idea of taking Okafor in a package with Collison. We don't need to stockpile massive cap space like Miami, Indianapolis ain't South Beach, we aren't gonna sign two max contracts. Getting a decent overpaid big man isn't the worst thing in the world as long as the rest of your contracts our reasonable, which ours are.
    Has anyone posted the Draft Rater? From what I've read it's been accurate in the past, I'd appreciate if you could post it.

The Top 12 for Hollinger's Draft Rater:
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic from Hollinger's Computer
    Here’s the updated top 12:
    Player School Rating
    1 DeMarcus Cousins Kentucky 16.14
    2 Evan Turner Ohio State 14.79
    3 John Wall Kentucky 14.68
    4 Greg Monroe Georgetown 14.39
    5 Derrick Favors Georgia Tech 13.78
    6 Al-Farouq Aminu Wake Forest 13.62
    7 Xavier Henry Kansas 13.52
    8 Luke Babbitt Nevada 13.35
    9 Greivis Vasquez Maryland 12.97
    10 Paul George Fresno State 12.52
    11 Sylven Landesberg Virginia 12.52
    12 Omar Samhan Saint Mary's 12.47
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ng-draft-rater

It's on Truehoop, not Insider, so feel free to visit. He also elaborates his thoughts on the rankings, and why you should only care about the Top 12 and not draft Vasquez and Samhan no matter what the numbers say.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Everything I've heard about him points to him being a SG. That's probably why I'm drooling over him. A 6'9 SG? Yes please!
    SGs that big tend not to work out. You already have so many big bodies occupying the floor, the spacing issues becomes even worse when your two is as tall as some power forwards. In fact outside of Magic I can't recall the last guard that big who was a major factor in the NBA. Besides is he going to run around and chase all of those two guards on defense? Can he drive past other two guards?

Mood

The man has two first names for crying out loud. He has to be awesome.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally I would prefer drafting a PF, but if he is the best player available I would not be against drafting him at all, especially if it allowed us to trade for Collison.

As far as defense goes and spacing that really shouldn't be a concern as long as he is will to put in the effort on defense. Talking from experience there is little difference between guarding an athletic SF and a SG, or even a PG for that matter. The only major difference has to do with how physical you can be with them.

[QUOTE=bulldog;1014640]Damn that is an ugly jumpshot. That would have to be fixed, what is his elbow doing swinging around all over the place? But I'm not too concerned, players can adjust their shot.QUOTE]

I thought the same thing as well. I did look at his stats and his shooting percentage wasn't that impressive, but his free throw percentage last year was 90.9%!

The one item that I am still having a hard time with Paul George as a possibility is based upon Fresno State's terrible record. They were flat blown out of some games this year, but they did have a fairly young roster. Other than that, he looks like he could be a huge mismatch if he fulfills his potential.
    Last edited by Kraut N Beer; 06-23-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo

I still think picking George and trading for Collison and Okafor would make this team a challenger in the east. George could fill the shooting guard spot for years. Trade Rush, Murphy and Ford. Use the second round picks on end of bench guys. Get a big and guard.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Mood

[QUOTE=Kraut N Beer;1014788]
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Damn that is an ugly jumpshot. That would have to be fixed, what is his elbow doing swinging around all over the place? But I'm not too concerned, players can adjust their shot.QUOTE]

I thought the same thing as well. I did look at his stats and his shooting percentage wasn't that impressive, but his free throw percentage last year was 90.9%!

The one item that I am still having a hard time with Paul George as a possibility is based upon Fresno State's terrible record. They were flat blown out of some games this year, but they did have a fairly young roster. Other than that, he looks like he could be a huge mismatch in he fulfills his potential.
    yeah the shooting numbers went down as for his sophomore year which is thought to be due to him trying to do too much and forcing shots especially 3's, one plus his FT% went up.... I guess thats the downside of being a good player on a bad team, George and Brackins have went through this...

He scored 0 pts against San Jose State? And had multiple games where he wasn't in double figures at a school that had a losing record in a pretty weak conference? That doesn't concern anyone else?

It's possible that PG could turn out to be fantastic, but it's also very possible that he will be another BRush... all the talent in the world but no passion or drive to take full advantage of that talent.

A Ferrari without a motor looks damn good sitting in your garage, but it's not going to get you anywhere...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any of you guys think of Jamal Crawford when you see this guy?

I see the potential and talent, but I'm curious as to how long it will take this guy to figure it out... Of course, going to a team like Golden State will be of no help in that endeavor...

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Any of you guys think of Jamal Crawford when you see this guy?

I see the potential and talent, but I'm curious as to how long it will take this guy to figure it out... Of course, going to a team like Golden State will be of no help in that endeavor...
    ??

Out of 676 career games played, Crawford has played all of 54 of them for the Warriors.

Well we kept saying we needed a PG, here you go!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    He scored 0 pts against San Jose State? And had multiple games where he wasn't in double figures at a school that had a losing record in a pretty weak conference? That doesn't concern anyone else?

It's possible that PG could turn out to be fantastic, but it's also very possible that he will be another BRush... all the talent in the world but no passion or drive to take full advantage of that talent.

A Ferrari without a motor looks damn good sitting in your garage, but it's not going to get you anywhere...
    Nope doesn't bother me at all, chances are that he was probably either hurt, or being double of triple teamed, if you look at the game that he played against them before that he put up 29pts, 7reb, 2 ast, 3 stls and 1 block. Seeing that he was their main weapon they probably felt that doubling him up would help them win the game and it worked... the guy only shot 5 shots in the 0 pt performance.

I watched the video (with a grain of salt), and he actually has good body control. I wouldn't be too upset about trading Murphy/Rush/whomever for Collision/Okafor, then drafting this guy at # 10.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    In fact outside of Magic I can't recall the last guard that big who was a major factor in the NBA.?
    T-Mac

I'm unsold on Paul George too but the draft is a total crapshoot outside of the top 3 picks. He could be a high risk - high reward type player. He could also be a Gerald Green/Shawne Williams type of disappointment.

I think I'd rather select a player like Udoh who we know what his skill set is and know how what his defense can bring to the Pacers. Plus I think bigs have greater trade value than swingmen and are harder to come by.

Look at #10 draft picks from the past 12 year:

Brandon Jennings
    Andrew Bynum
    Caron Butler
    Joe Johnson
    Jason Terry
    Paul Pierce

There are more All-Stars that have been selected with the 10th pick than the 6th, 7th, and 8th picks during that span. Chances are pretty good to get a good player at pick 10 if the Pacers decide to keep this pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Here are some other videos about him. I'll say it again...the kid has good body control. Ugly jumper though like some else pointed out. He looks fundamentally sound...ala Tim Duncan. Student of the game, and he has a swagger about him...interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivCtVeCP9XM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTye_...eature=related
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 06-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post: