Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

That post came off a lot more negative than I intended. I'm thrilled that we are busting out all these old threads celebrating our optimism about a young player who is coming into his own. This is great.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It's just year 2, but man with the last few games, slowly but surely PG is making this prediction come true!
    Thanks, I was trying to bump this last night but I couldn't find it.

At this rate, PG could be the best player out of this draft by the end of this year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Thanks, I was trying to bump this last night but I couldn't find it.

At this rate, PG could be the best player out of this draft by the end of this year.
    very possible considering blake wasn't in the same draft class and john wall is on the wiz.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

The summer of 2010 was really a turnaround for this organization.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cousins is CLEARLY the best player from that draft so far
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    Also clearest headcase, who is also very inefficient. Cousins is clearly the one with the most potential, but there are a few guys i'd take over him given the fact that he hasn't really done much to change his reputation as a ticking time bomb.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Greg Monroe begs to differ.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

....no.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Probably the most raw talent and if he could stay focused without having to have an army of handlers & damage control experts he potentially could be the one with the largest impact on the NBA. However a lot of that is on him.

I like Monroe more because he is as skilled without the head case issues, however I won't dispute that Cousins has the raw talent. Dude could easily be 20+ ppg & 10+ rpg for years to come.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Wes Johnson was picked 3rd overall. Lol

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    No Derrick Favors was he was the 4th which is still far too high.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ....no.
    I actually agree that cousins is the best. Kid is always a threat to go for 20 and 20. Seeing him in person, i was very impressed with how he always managed to be in position for the rebound. He was dominating the boards. After seeing how Love gets his rebounds (arm hooking constantly) i am even more impressed with cousins.

Of course he has some issues. But he has been better since the coaching change too. Cousins has a ton of potential and if he puts it together, he will be the best.

Since the coaching switch, he is putting up 16ppg, 11.5rpg on 47% shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    4th wasn't it?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post

Since the coaching switch, he is putting up 16ppg, 11.5rpg on 47% shooting.
    ...and Monroe still averages more points, more than twice as many assists, shoots a higher %FG and doesn't handle the ball like a drunken sailor.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Cousins is clearly the most talented but there's way too much crazy in there for him to be the best from the class.

Monroe's talent doesn't quite reach Cousins' but he seems like he'd be a functioning human being if he weren't a brilliant basketball player so he's got that leg up on DMC.

I still think John Wall should end up the best in the class as his jumper inevitably improves. It's a shame he's with the Wizards though. Watching him with that team just makes me sad. Until Javale McGee goes all Javale McGee and my laughter causes me to forget that Wall is crying on the inside.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 02-07-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...and Monroe still averages more points, more than twice as many assists, shoots a higher %FG and doesn't handle the ball like a drunken sailor.
    Barely more points, twice as many assists is one more per game... Cousins averages more blocks and rebounds, which is what i want out of my big man. Monroe also plays 3 more minutes a game. And even with cousins sloppy handles, Monroe is barey better in the TO department.

And the kings have won more games.

Mood

Monroe is 3rd best as of now, Wall being 2nd
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Monroe is 3rd best as of now, Wall being 2nd
    Living in the DC area as I do I must say that is crazy talk. People prop up Wall repeatedly because of his so-called "upside", but he hasn't lived up to his billing. His turnovers are far too numerous and his shooting is a disaster. And so far, as a point guard, he makes none of his teammates better.

Cousins has loads of ability but he will ALWAYS be a mental-midget who is able of being taken mentally out of a game or blowing up an entire team because of his attitude problems. And unlike Monroe he hasn't really gotten better from last season. He has his moments and then disappears for games at a time.

Now I'm biased but in my view Monroe has been the best of the class in part because he was undervalued and overlooked by about everyone except the team that took him. He is playing beyond expectations of others, even as a #7 draft pick. And unlike most of the guys in this class he seems to get better every month. Recall that Monroe got off to an awful start during his first two or three months in the NBA. But since last season's All Star game he has been a model of constant improvement. No one in this class touches him in those efficiency numbers that NBA folks put a lot of stock in. And he plays for an awful Detroit team. Cousins, Paul George of course, even Wall, have the benefit of playing with better talent IMO (the Wizards are full of knuckleheads but there is real ability throughout that roster). Of course that could lead to some thinking he puts up numbers only because he is playing with a bunch of stiffs, but one could argue that when you are the lone bright spot of a bad team it is easier for defenses to focus on you.

From all reports Monroe, as a 20-21 year old second year player, is arguarbly already the most mature player in that Detroit locker room and the most hard working. They type of guy that comes early and stays late when it comes to practices. He is also hard on himself and accepts blame instead of pointing fingers at others. The dude also has class and is highly accountable and those characteristics alone, for a big time NBA player, are worth their weight in gold. He doesn't have explosive athleticism but has enough height, talent and skill to succeed in this game. Kinda like Tim Duncan. He will be a 20-10 guy in a year or two and is probably one more year from being a regular invitee to the All-Star game. If Wall or Cousins was constantly putting up his numbers their legion of followers would already have them headed to the Hall of Fame.

Of course Wall, Couisns and Favors could still end up being better players (they just aren't right now). And I REALLY like Paul George. Really like him. He could be a special, elite talent and that should make Pacers fans very excited. It is possible for him to turn out as the very best from that draft. But as of this moment the best performing player out of all them is Monroe. I just hope in the next draft Detroit gets a big man that allows Monroe to play at his more natural position (power forward).

Love that Wes Johnson is a bust so far (my hatred for Syracuse is in play on that one). And Udoh over Greg Monroe? Good going, Golden State.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KennerLeaguer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Paul George is starting to really "get it" and move toward the potential we all see in him. I'm normally fairly conservative with "potential," but I really think PG24's ceiling is superstar high. I look for him to continue to improve this season, and if he has another good showing in the playoffs, he's going to go into next year with a lot of confidence and momentum, and really start blowing people's minds.

How easy did that 30-point night in Dallas look? That's going to become a pretty regular thing for him. We all talk about how he'll be better than Danny someday, but I'll be surprised if "someday" isn't the start of the 2012-2013 season.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

That was an awfully fast five years.

30. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

I don't get the infatuation with Greg Monroe, George is already better than him.

His team is actually 10.8 points per 48 minutes better with him off the court than on the court offensively, and he's a bad defender, allowing opposing centers to score 23 points and grab 10 boards per 48 minutes with a per of 19.8, meaning on average over 48 minutes he slightly loses the individual matchup vs. opposing power forwards and Centers, wheras paul is a defensive player of the year candidate.

When you take into account Paul having a ton of potential due to his athletic ability and natural defensive instincts, and Monroe already being a pretty polished product (he's unathletic, and has actually regressed statistically from his second season to his 3rd) you have to take Paul over him if you're a GM.

1st and 2nd pick would be between George, Cousins and Wall, Cousins has the highest ceiling, but he's a bit of a nutcase and causes all kinds of off the court drama, George clearly is developing into a star and a rare breed of 2 way player who can score while locking his guy down and carrying more than his share of the rebounding load, while Wall is still hyper athletic, but hasn't really lived up to his full potential yet, and has disappointingly not developed a jumpshot.

I have no problem calling George the best from his draft at the moment, with the caveat that Cousins can be more valuable if he ever gets his head on straight. I feel that George has top 10 player potential. Wall and Cousins do as well, but with them it's about developing a jumpshot and playing with discipline.

Plus George is almost certainly going to be the first player from that class to get an All-Star nod, and I don't see him not making the team each year from now until he's past his prime unless he's injured or something like that. I doubt he'll be left off the All Defensive first or second team too, especially since you know that Frank will go to bat for him and campaign for his inclusion, similarly to how Carlisle did for Ron when he was defensive player of the year.
    Last edited by daschysta; 01-19-2013 at 10:00 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Going back and watching his old videos reminds me of what I used to think of his unorthodox shot. It was "wristy". He would extend his arms almost straight up, and then sort of flick his wrist to shoot it. It was awkward looking. I remember thinking at the time that he needed to work with a shot coach to get that ball closer to his head, his elbow bent, and shoot it from the elbow more.

He's doing that now. His shot doesn't look so unorthodox, it's now very smooth and proper looking.

He also would toe his shots quite a bit, sort of bite in with his right-foot quickly and pop up... I thought he needed to relax more and be more fluid in his feet when he set. Again, he's done that, also.

You can also tell his conditioning is starting to become top-flight. He's playing serious minutes, and he's going hard on both sides of the ball, and he's often guarding the other teams' best offensive player. That's something not a lot of players do, or are even capable of, really. Only the elite of the elite can go equally hard on the defensive and offensive sides of the ball... Jordan.... Kobe.... LeBron.... but man, PG is starting to get into that area.

He's taken good advice in his 2+ years and he's already made some very good corrections.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-19-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I think most of you are selling George short even now. I think he could be the best player in the NBA in 3 or 4 years.

As Kid Minneapolis said, Only the elite of the elite can go equally hard on the defensive and offensive sides of the ball!

The thing is I don't think he has Jordan or Kobe's drive to be that good.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 01-19-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I think most of you are selling George short even now. I think he could be the best player in the NBA in 3 or 4 years.

As Kid Minneapolis said, Only the elite of the elite can go equally hard on the defensive and offensive sides of the ball!

The thing is I don't think he has Jordan or Kobe's drive to be that good.
    I think his drive is fine, he has already come a long way. What he's lacking is the feeling that he truly is an alpha dog guy. That's what he's missing. The thing that lets everyone know who is in control, who is taking the big shot, and who the court belongs to. But, he's come this far, so I don't think he's stopping now.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

37. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Pauls stats are pretty close to Kobes first 3 years. Kobe's 2 year ppg were 15.4 and his 3rd year ppg were 19.9. Paul averaged 12.1 last year and 17.3 so far this year, which I think will be up to 18 to 18.5 by the end of the year. Paul's numbers are increasing at qabout the same rate as Kobe. If he averages 20+ ppg for the rest of his career we have a Gem and better make him a Pacer for life.
    By the way, I like how this thread was brought back up. I posted on the 2nd page about how I wanted to draft Paul, but I though he would be gone befroe we drafted. I remember his workout here in Indy. He sold me right after I watched the video of it.
    Last edited by pacers74; 01-20-2013 at 12:51 AM.