Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...rgedraft062210

The scout wasn’t backing down. In five years, he said, the best player from the 2010 NBA draft won’t be John Wall.

Evan Turner?

Nope.

DeMarcus Cousins?

Nope.

Derrick Favors?

Nope.

“In five years,” the Eastern Conference scout said, “Paul George will be the best player to come out of this draft.

“Trust me.”

Paul George?

Unless you’re a well-studied draftnik or hail from Fresno, Calif., chances are you haven’t heard too much about George – if you’ve heard of him at all. That’s OK with George. He’s about to go from relatively anonymous to relatively rich on Thursday, when he’s projected as a possible lottery pick in the draft.

And if you listen to the 20-year-old George – who clearly isn’t lacking for confidence – his climb toward stardom won’t end there.

“I feel like I have all the intangibles, all the tools to be one of the best players not only in this draft, but to play in this game,” George said. “It’s something I’m really taking to heart. My dream is to not only get drafted – that’s a goal of mine – but my dream is to someday be a legend at this game. I want to work to be that.”

Before George elevates himself to legend, he’ll need to introduce himself to NBA fans.

George grew up in Palmdale, Calif., in north central Los Angeles County. Among the past and present notable residents listed on Palmdale’s Wikipedia entry are John Wayne, Marion Jones and Debbie Rowe, the former wife of Michael Jackson. Craig Brackins, the junior Iowa State power forward who is projected to go in the draft’s second round, also is listed. As of Tuesday morning, George wasn’t.

George, who grew up as a fan of the Los Angeles Clippers, not the Lakers, averaged 25 points and 12 rebounds as a senior at Knight High School. He received scholarship offers from Georgetown and Penn State, but instead chose Fresno State. The decision paid off when he received enough playing time to average 14.3 points and 6.2 rebounds as a freshman.

By the time George’s sophomore year arrived, NBA scouts were already familiar with his athleticism and ability to play all three perimeter positions. One scout likened him to Tracy McGrady(notes) in terms of skills and demeanor. Listed at 6-foot-8 and 215 pounds, George averaged a team-best 16.6 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.2 steals while making 90.6 percent of his free throws as a sophomore. But he also averaged 3.2 turnovers and was inconsistent, scoring more than 20 points in nine games and fewer than 10 in four others – including a scoreless performance against rival San Jose State in front of several NBA scouts. The Bulldogs finished just 15-18 and didn’t play past the first round of the Western Athletic Conference tournament.

“He could be the best in his class,” a Western Conference NBA scout said. “He can also be the biggest bust, too. He went to Fresno State, but he didn’t set the place on fire. I question whether he understands what it takes to be a star, but I’m not saying he won’t.”

Said an Eastern Conference scout: “Scoring comes easy to him. If he played with a high motor he’d be top five. But even at his pace, he does a lot of things easy.”

Those scouts aren’t the only ones to question George’s energy and effort. It sounds as if he’s aware of the criticism as well. “At this next level,” he said, “you have to bring it every night.”

Along with George’s versatility and athleticism, his size and length have helped him move up draft boards. He stands nearly 6-9 in shoes and his wingspan measures 6-11. Every lottery team from eight through 14, with exception of the New Orleans Hornets, has worked him out.

“I’m just showing my full capabilities,” George said. “I’m showing I can defend. I have the ball-handling to make plays. I’m showing everything that I couldn’t show at Fresno and didn’t show. I think that’s really what is catching their eyes. I can be a complete package.”

Apparently, a few other people think so too. George received one of the NBA’s 16 invites to sit in the green room on draft night. His father, Paul George Sr., had promised to come to New York if George received an invitation. The elder George is scared of flying and wanted to save his first flight for something special. This qualifies.

“For him to take that flight to New York to get to see me in that moment, that would mean the world to me and my family,” George said. “I got so much riding on this. I got the whole city of Palmdale supporting me.”
    I really hope we get this guy on Thursday.
    Grown Man Ball

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

It's horrible, I watched a few videos of him and now I want him too...That's why acquiring the 16th pick from Minny would have been ideal to move back and get George, if he was still there. If he's a bust at 16 it would be easier to take then a bust at 10. I don't know if he will be the best player from this draft years down the road, but I don't see how he could bust. He looks super durable, and is crazy athletic. I saw an interview where he says he considers himself a two.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George will be the best player from this draft in 5 years (article)

I really don't want a wing player, but I would like this pick. I even prefer him to Aminu. This guy could be great and seems like a perfect fit next to Granger.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Banned

If the Pacers don't take him at 10 Memphis will at 12, They had him in and loved his versatility.

hmmmmmmm!?!??!?
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Mood

Sounds like he even wants to be a Pacer, looking at his relationship with D Granger it would be interesting to see how he would develop and how they would play together it could be a very good scoring duo...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Doesn't he seem more like a SF then a SG?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like he even wants to be a Pacer, looking at his relationship with D Granger it would be interesting to see how he would develop and how they would play together it could be a very good scoring duo...
    Was George the one who said he wanted to play with Granger? I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    It's horrible, I watched a few videos of him and now I want him too...
    same here haha

did we have him come in to workout?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Doesn't he seem more like a SF then a SG?
    Everything I've heard about him points to him being a SG. That's probably why I'm drooling over him. A 6'9 SG? Yes please!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    What is his relationship with Granger?

dang...his dunks look effortless

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Was George the one who said he wanted to play with Granger? I forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    What is his relationship with Granger?
    They are good friends and they workout at the same facility, I also heard that of the places that were targeting him he would like to play next to danny granger (that coming from his twitter account)

Quote Originally Posted by REL31 View Post
    same here haha

And yes he dide

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by REL31 View Post
    same here haha

Yeah, he was in for a workout. I saw his post workout interview on pacers.com draft section.

Ok I know these mix tape videos you have to take with a grain of salt in terms of them only showing the best highlights, but this kid looks nice! How is his D?

I liked him in Rat Patrol.

Mood

Ok I know these mix tape videos you have to take with a grain of salt in terms of them only showing the best highlights, but this kid looks nice! How is his D?
    Thats the big question, I think he averaged about 2 steals a game in college but the competition that he was playing was not the best. He says that he can guard up to 3 positions 2, 3 and 4 (probably small 4's), I'm not convinced that he is a good on defense but with his frame he seems like he could grow into becoming a good defender.

What I am worried about most is his Basketball IQ and being able to adapt at the next level.

Mood

From what I've read since developing my man crush on him 72 hours ago, he's being projected as being an above average defender just do to his size alone. His wing span stands out too.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAustin View Post
    If the Pacers don't take him at 10 Memphis will at 12, They had him in and loved his versatility.
    They are even beginning to view him as a replacement for Rudy Gay who they expect to lose to free agency.

Paul George has me excited about this draft. We could actually get this guy. And if he is anything close to what has been wrote about him there will be alot of positive buzz in Pacer-land again.

I don't care if we don't make the playoffs this year. I want the bright future. Its like going to the prom with your cousin. Yea, you're at the prom, you're cousin is kinda hot, but she's your cousin.
    I rather be standing outside the prom with the hottest eightgrade girl. Having a good ol' time with a bottle of maddog 20/20. Cuase im going to the prom NEXT year.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaHa3000 For This Useful Post:

Banned

lol so just now, 2 days before the draft, pacersdigest gets on board with paul george. better late than never i suppose...

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Since reading T-Bird's analysis of him, I have thought that he would be the very best player we could get out of the draft at #10.

Unfortunately, I still think the Pacers may take Xavier Henry instead.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by millertime90 View Post
    lol so just now, 2 days before the draft, pacersdigest gets on board with paul george. better late than never i suppose...
    There are some of us that have been signing his praises before this thread. I say we draft him at #10 IF he's there and consider it the best pick we've made since Granger.
    Grown Man Ball

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

After watching Bird's pre-draft conference and his comments about looking at BPA between Wings and big-men and he likes guys that can play multiple positions... and his comments about Mcbob turning the corner and hoping he gets more minuets next season... My gut thinks George may be Bird's guy if we don't trade...

Quote Originally Posted by MaHa3000 View Post
    Its like going to the prom with your cousin. Yea, you're at the prom, you're cousin is kinda hot, but she's your cousin.
    I rather be standing outside the prom with the hottest eightgrade girl. Having a good ol' time with a bottle of maddog 20/20. Cuase im going to the prom NEXT year.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post: