Thread: If the Pacers keep the 10th pick, Udoh's the man

Default If the Pacers keep the 10th pick, Udoh's the man

What's up PD? Latest blog is now up:

Okay, okay. I was wrong on Ed Davis.

Who knows how his career may pan out, but I’m guessing the only time he’ll enter Conseco Fieldhouse will be as a visitor. He’s just NOT an Indiana guy.

Now…if Davis had mind-blowing skills I’m guessing I’d overlook any personality flaws. Hell, DeMarcus Cousins is a nut-case and will be a top-4 draft pick. But while Ed has a strong upside - his skills are not dramatically better than some of the other power forwards on the board.

Sure, he can shoot. He has a nice touch around the basket and is active on the glass. His defense is also solid. Davis considers himself a “great help defender” and learned the game from his dad (Terry Davis) and family friend (Ben Wallace).

But the intrigue stops there...

Click here to read the rest: http://www.1070thefan.com/mg/blogent...tryID=10120160

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mg1070 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: If the Pacers keep the 10th pick, Udoh's the man

I agree, if 10 is the pick I expect the Pacers to take Udoh if he is still there.

I have never seen him play, but I like what I hear about him

Really nice write up on your blog MG. Good work.

Great article. Gotta say, I'm not big on this draft, but I really like what you wrote about Udoh. I enjoyed watching Baylor games last year, and he could fit pretty well next to Hibbert. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but the only player around 10 that I think COULD be some day is Paul George. So I think I want one of those 2 if we keep it. But I personally would rather trade it.

Could he be Dale Davis.

Thanks...and just in case you think the Orton quote was too odd to be true, you can hear it here: http://www.1070thefan.com/pacers/

Just scroll toward the bottom and look on the right and you'll see the audio player. In addition to the interview with Orton are interviews with Udoh and Davis.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mg1070 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could he be Dale Davis.
    only if dale davis were a finesse player.

i do like udoh though. ticks all the boxes as far as what we need in a big man, other than the physical enforcer bit.

Yes sir, I agree 100%, Udoh is the pick at 10 if we hold on to it. Thanks for sharing the blog link, love your take on the Pacers and the work you are putting-in!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

That was a very good write up, I did not know all that about Udoh's year off. Seems like a really good guy to have around. I'd be pretty thrilled to have either one of them. I just worry about Udoh's ceiling.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mg1070 View Post
    Thanks...and just in case you think the Orton quote was too odd to be true, you can hear it here: http://www.1070thefan.com/pacers/

Just scroll toward the bottom and look on the right and you'll see the audio player. In addition to the interview with Orton are interviews with Udoh and Davis.
    At least the kid is honest. Whenever I see any of these interviews.....I get the feeling that Players tell you what you want to hear from a prospect....not exactly what they actually think.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

The sad thing is that I'm preparing myself for the "Pacers draft Udoh then trade him to some other Team for some prospect and a later round draft pick".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Thanks for the article MG!

If we keep the 10the pick, I'd be very happy with Udoh. I heard the interview with his Baylor coach on the DD show and he raved about him. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of coaches talk-up their players, but they don't have to and he sounded genuine.

Udoh should be the pick. If he's not available then go with Patterson (unless someone really good drops).

Quote Originally Posted by mg1070 View Post
    What's up PD? Latest blog is now up:

Okay, okay. I was wrong on Ed Davis.

Who knows how his career may pan out, but I’m guessing the only time he’ll enter Conseco Fieldhouse will be as a visitor. He’s just NOT an Indiana guy.

Now…if Davis had mind-blowing skills I’m guessing I’d overlook any personality flaws. Hell, DeMarcus Cousins is a nut-case and will be a top-4 draft pick. But while Ed has a strong upside - his skills are not dramatically better than some of the other power forwards on the board.

Sure, he can shoot. He has a nice touch around the basket and is active on the glass. His defense is also solid. Davis considers himself a “great help defender” and learned the game from his dad (Terry Davis) and family friend (Ben Wallace).

But the intrigue stops there...

Click here to read the rest: http://www.1070thefan.com/mg/blogent...tryID=10120160
    Grady, write more in the future, will you?

You're a good writer with the ability to bring enthusiasts like us a little closer to the workings of the team.

This city has been largely filled by wanna-be journalists. It's refreshing to read an article like this that was written here in Indy and where I actually learned something about the team.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I appreciate the candor and the opinion. Refreshing to see a classy person in the media deliver sound information.

Hayward 32 of 45 from the arc in the shooring drill? Wow. How in the world would O'B ever sleep at night if we don't draft him?

I still don't buy Hayward's skills translating to the NBA. Udoh seems OK, but I still like what T-Bird posted about Paul George, and hope we pick him at 10, unless we actually make trades on draft night (and I still doubt that anything happens because we can afford to be greedy until February).

IMO, right now, the pick still appears to be Xavier Henry because he is an athletic wing who can shoot 3's, despite that not really being in the Pacers best interest unless we are certain that we are going to trade Rush and Ford for Felton, etc. after July 1.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

I'm not so sure Udoh makes it to ten. I could see Detroit giving him a long look. I'm actually pretty ok with taking Gordon Hayward if Udoh is gone.

Hmm... that was a very good article by MG. Methinks he needs to be writing for the Star...