Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From the makers of "The Wire" comes Treme

Default From the makers of "The Wire" comes Treme

I'll watch anything these guys decide to put on TV. I didn't know anything about this until this morning

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...eme09_ST_N.htm

Treme
    HBO, Sunday, 10 ET/PT
    * * * * (out of four)

By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY

With Treme, TV's poet laureate of urban America sets his words to music.
    Music unstructured, unfiltered, spontaneous and sometimes discordant is, after all, what first made the world take note of New Orleans and is what still plays behind our fondest memories of a city that is both quintessentially American and yet somehow totally a place unto itself. And music is what drives this endlessly rich series from The Wire's David Simon, who has teamed with Wire writer Eric Overmyer to re-create New Orleans three months after it was nearly washed away by Hurricane Katrina.

Like The Wire, Simon's brilliant five-year epic about Baltimore told mainly through the eyes of its most beleaguered (and beleaguering) citizens, Treme teems with authentic life.

Simon doesn't coddle an audience, and landing in Treme is the artistic equivalent of landing in New Orleans itself. You're surrounded by people who talk about their favorite foods, places and people without providing any background information to help you follow the discussion. You're expected to figure it out on your own, and with very little effort, you will.

But New Orleans is not Baltimore, and Treme is not The Wire Simon is far too good a writer to simply try to transfer old tropes to a new town. The opening hours of Treme are less intense than The Wire (which immediately plunged us into Baltimore's drug trade), less dense in terms of plotting, and somewhat lighter in tone, charged through as they are by the unfettered thrum of music.

As you'd expect from a Katrina story, the characters in Treme face myriad problems. But they have a sense of hope and resilience and a good-times-roll embrace of great food and eccentricity missing in The Wire.

If strong writing is a Simon hallmark, so is an impeccable ensemble, one in which Simon veterans Wendell Pierce (The Wire), Clarke Peters (The Wire) and Khandi Alexander (The Corner) mix with more widely known actors, such as John Goodman and Steve Zahn. All play people who are trying to restart their lives: Pierce is a musician struggling to make ends meet until club work returns; Alexander is a bar owner searching for her missing brother, with the help of a tough local lawyer (Melissa Leo); Peters is a Mardi Gras "chief" determined to rebuild his tribe at any cost; Goodman is a professor driven to tell New Orleans' story to the world; and Zahn is a sometime disc jockey whose love for his city is infectious.

They talk in ways that can be amusing, confusing and, at times, a bit annoying. But if you are willing to give them time, they are likely to sing to you.

Or not. Odds are, Treme will be one of those shows that attracts an audience that is more loyal than large, though it would be unwise to read too much into that either way. HBO, it's true, often makes the odd mistake of confusing inaccessibility with quality, but it's an equal mistake to assume that unpopularity equates with artistic failure. Treme tells its story incredibly well, but it just may not be a story everyone wants to follow.

Some will hear its music and some won't. But if you do, this could be the rare TV show that makes you dance.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: From the makers of "The Wire" comes Treme

Yeah, between this and Pacific, kinda wishing I had HBO. Be nice if one could just sign up for Sunday's, like the newspaper. Oh well, that's what DVDs are for.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Did not hear about this. GREAT NEWS!!! Dont have HBO but I do have a computer.

I don't have HBO either. Anyone watch the premiere last night? I saw Simon interviewed on CNN last night

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have it DVR'd and will be checking it out this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have it DVR'd and will be checking it out this evening.
    I expect a full review

Mood

Just finished watching it. Two things I think are apparent just from the first episode. New Orleans isn't just the city this story is based in, it's a charachter in the story just as much as any of the written parts. Second, the music will be a big big part of what is going on here. I'm not sure how they will intertwine these characters and their stories into the city with the music but I liked The Wire enough that I will definitely be watching more to find out. As far as this episode goes, I won't spoil it, but it's a "getting to know you" type of plot for the characters, but done really well and not in a typical pilot episode kind of way.

I am grabbing it right now so I too will write a re-view once I have watched. I am too excited, I hope it doesn't skew my opinion.

Wow, this one was rough. While I want to like any show that involves these actors and the writing staff I will just say that this one did not hold my interest.

However the only good thing that did come out of this is that I did reconnect with one of my favorite horribly unhealthy food items of all time.

Hubigs pies are just absolutely out of this world good.

While I was watching the episode I got online and ordered a case of 12 to be shipped to me. I am expecting them on Wednesday.

Their Pineapple pie is beyond words but any of them are great I split my order up of 3 apple, 3 peach, 2 pineapple, 2 chocolate, 2 coconut.

http://hubigs.com/

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I watched it the other day. I liked it personally but it is starting off painfully slow but that is to be expected with this team of TV show makers. I will follow this show and hopefully it will pay off in the end. Hard to judge the show on the opening episode because they are trying to introduce us to the world they have created and to the characters in that world.

Give it a shot.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man this was tough to watch. I really hope it picks up steam because the first episode may very well be the slowest piece of television I've ever seen. If John Goodman and Steve Zahn weren't in the cast I wouldn't watch another episode. But I'll give it a chance.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I didn't like nor did I feel compelled to continue watching The Wire after episode 1. So when I do start watching this show I will force myself to stick to it.

Mood

I felt the exact same way about The Wire. After the first three or four episodes of that show, if you ha told me it would be some f the best TV ever produced I'd have called you nuts.

I LOVED the wire, and still watch the DVD when ever I am sitting around bored

Caught episode 2 of Treme today. Still very very painfully slow but the music is great and like The Wire they are taking their sweet time in getting to the good stuff. Great acting and it is always fun when I recognize yet another actor from The Wire as a cameo or as a possible regular.

I will continue watching.

I watched episode 3 the other day. Still not much has happened overall but I can't give it up because I just have a feeling it can only get better. Anyone else still watching?

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched episode 3 the other day. Still not much has happened overall but I can't give it up because I just have a feeling it can only get better. Anyone else still watching?
    I have it on DVR but to be honest with you I could not make it through episode # 1. I might go back and try watching it all again in a couple of weeks but frankly I don't hold much hope.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I'm 3 episodes in. Not sure if I'll get to 4. Plain and simple, the first 3 sucked. Having 3 ridiculously boring episodes to begin a show is not a good way to get your series watched.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Just finished episode 4. I liked it. For the first time I feel like I enjoyed watching an episode. I dont know if it is because now I feel like I know the characters a bit better so seeing them in their lives is just becoming an easier task to enjoy or if the episode was just that good. I am getting episode 5 now and like I have said I will watch and watch until there is no more show because with The Wire the few episodes are pretty painful but you just have to keep watching.

Mood

Yeah ep 4 was better than the first 3. I will catch ep 5 but truthfully, if it's a dud this will probably be it for me.

I watched episode 5 and for me it is just continuing to get better. I will continue watching.

I just can't bring myself to watch anymore of it. The pilot was so bad that I just can't do it.

However if you will give me a plot synopsis that might help. What is the story line here going to be about. With the wire they had a definate story about drugs, society, the police, race, etc. but it was all set in the standard back drop of a cop show (although not like any cop show before or after).

What is treme going to be about? If it literally is nothing but about the music then I just can't see me being interested.

I love the guys who did the wire but I also never forget that for as much as I loved Deadwood & I did, that they were also the same people who brought me John from Cinncinnatti which was about the dumbest and most pointless show there was.

So far it is about the problems that the citizens of New Orleans went through after the hurricane. The music seems to be the theme that ties the main characters together but the show is not all about the music.

At this point they are starting to delve deeper in the the lives of the main characters, showing their relationships in their personal lives and everyone is starting to interact with one another.

I will 100% agree that the pilot left me unsatisfied and wondering what the hell I was watching but now I am starting to feel better about the show and I look forward to it. But still there is no definite setting for what is going to happen like the wire where you knew you were following the cops and the drug dealers. Here it is following different citizens facing different problems in the post Katrina New Orleans such as: A lost brother who they believe is in prison somewhere but the police will not help out, How the citizens think the government is screwing over the poor, A son who is trying to stay away from New Orleans, a chef who is trying to get her restaurant back in order and keep it afloat, a very angry english professor who is starting to use youtube to get attention and it goes on and on. The first 3 episodes were very painful to get through but episode 4 things turned around. I would suggest giving it a go until Episode 4 and if you dont like it by then, then I am sure it is a lost cause.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to N8R For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Thanks Buck

The Wire, along with Sopranos were my alltime favorites

I got the complete box set, although I must say the ending last episode of the wire was dissapoionting

Anyone heard of a Wire or Soprano movie comming out?
    Sittin on top of the world!

The reviews in this thread are not too good. I don't have HBO and I have a lot of shows I want to watch before I would watch Treme.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to only be a 1 season show. Are the writers writing it as just a 13 week show?