Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: MIN turns down offer of #10 for Flynn, have reportedly offered Flynn/16/23 for #10 + more

Default Re: Minnesota turns down Indy's offer of the #10 pick for Johnny Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow I'm kinda surprised Kahn is so direct. That seems like he could burn some bridges if he leaks the wrong stuff/says the wrong thing to the media. His GM buddies may not appreciate that at all.
    Kahn is probably the most despised and disrespected GM in the league. His blunt comments are the norm.

Default Re: Minnesota offering Jonny Flynn and two first-round picks (16 and 23) to Indiana for a package that includes the 10th pick

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby3105 View Post
    I think the Pacers have to do this trade if its still on the table.. We get the PG we need in Flynn. We have 16 and 23 and could land Patterson, Orton. Come on Larry make this happen!
    I can understand Patterson. But Orton? If you have any faith in that guy you're nuts.

Default Re: MIN turns down offer of #10 for Flynn, have reportedly offered Flynn/16/23 for #10 + more

Interesting the rapidness with which this was Indy's idea to Minne's idea to no way happening.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

Trying to find a point guard

Posted by Mike Wells

The Pacers are definitely making their calls to see what point guards are available.They recently made a call to Minnesota about the services of point guard Jonny Flynn.

The conversation didn't get very far, though.

I talked to people on both teams and the one consistent thing I was told from both sides is that the Timberwolves quickly informed the Pacers that they're not interested in sending Flynn to Indy.

The Pacers will continue to work the phones to try to acquire a point guard.

Kentucky big man Daniel Orton will workout for the Pacers again on Tuesday.
    The big fella will be joined by Wayne Chism (Tennessee), Thomas Heurtel (Strasbourg (France) and Trevon Hughes (Wisconsin).

A hamstring injury kept Oklahoma State's James Anderson from working out with the Pacers on Monday.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Minnesota turns down Indy's offer of the #10 pick for Johnny Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'd rather have Sessions.

Sessions
    2.6 mil TE

Foster... expiring
    rights to Lorbek/Stanko
    I'd rather have Sessions too, but I can't see Minnesota giving that up. They are in great shape cap wise, they don't really need an expiring contract. HOWEVER, much in my discussion about Cleveland dealing Jamison to Toronto as part of a sign-and-trade, the value in Minnesota getting Foster back is dealing him later to a team who could use an expiring contract and would give some sugar back. So the value isn't Foster but what they could get for Foster later from a playoff team needing an active role player. I assume Foster's injuries would scare anyone off right now.

So let's get to brass tax.

Sessions, #16, and trade exception
    for
    #10 and Foster

At #16, the Pacers could, gulp, take a gamble on Orton and almost not blasted for it. Hassan Whiteside could be there too, but so could James Anderson.

Default Re: MIN turns down offer of #10 for Flynn, have reportedly offered Flynn/16/23 for #10 + more

I have not had time to read thru the whole thread but it would only makes sence, for both teams that TJ was part of this deal.

We move him & he's a 1 year expiring until Rubio comes over.

#10 & Ford for Flynn & picks & filler?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I talked to people on both teams and the one consistent thing I was told from both sides is that the Timberwolves quickly informed the Pacers that they're not interested in sending Flynn to Indy.

The Pacers will continue to work the phones to try to acquire a point guard.
    Fine with me.

I'd be interested in hearing the inconsistent things he heard from both sides. Sessions/16/23?
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-22-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Important thing to remember is that before Wells came to Indy, he was the beat reporter in Minny IIRC. It would make sense that he is probably well connected there.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

How good is Flynn going to be. He seemed like he was a major disappointment last season. Many blame it on the triangle offense. I admit I didn't see enough of him last season to know. I seem to remember in the Pacers vs T-Wolves game at Conseco the pacers had a nice lead and the T-Wolves made a furious rally in the 4th quarter and Flynn was the difference, the Pacers had trouble containing him, but he seemed lost for a large portion of the game

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I have not had time to read thru the whole thread but it would only makes sence, for both teams that TJ was part of this deal.

We move him & he's a 1 year expiring until Rubio comes over.

#10 & Ford for Flynn & picks & filler?
    The problem with Flynn is he's TJ Ford Jr. You can't lump all small point guards in the same bowl, I get that, but I'm not sure the Pacers need another shoot first, small point guard.

BTW...Ford in place of Foster in that deal would work for me. I'm just not a Flynn fan right now. If they don't want to trade Flynn, SUPER. Get Sessions. He's better, and i"m utterly convinced Minnesota took Flynn to build him up and deal him later. They probably want to package him for something bigger for when Rubio comes to town.

Since we're all speculating and dreaming here, I'd like to point out that Kevin Love would be in my top 5 for "Jerseys I'd get if they were on my team".

So there's a few beers worth of additional revenue for the Pacers if they can get that pipe dream done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Get Sessions. He's better, and i"m utterly convinced Minnesota took Flynn to build him up and deal him later. They probably want to package him for something bigger for when Rubio comes to town.
    If that was their plan that was a stupid plan that backfired. His value was much higher 12 months ago than it is right now

Mood

The articles from Wells and Wojo seem very contradictory... somebody is wrong/ getting feed misinformation...

Wojo at lest explained things out and made logic... so I'm going with him for now...

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    The articles from Wells and Wojo seem very contradictory... somebody is wrong/ getting feed misinformation...

Wojo at lest explained things out and made logic... so I'm going with him for now...
    Yeah I thought it was interesting how different they are. So who is telling the truth? This is why the draft is fun!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ESutt7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck
    How good is Flynn going to be. He seemed like he was a major disappointment last season. Many blame it on the triangle offense. I admit I didn't see enough of him last season to know. I seem to remember in the Pacers vs T-Wolves game at Conseco the pacers had a nice lead and the T-Wolves made a furious rally in the 4th quarter and Flynn was the difference,
    I remember that, too.

I understand the trade talk is all conjecture, but I don't understand why Flynn is seen as a disappointment or a failure.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I remember that, too.

I understand the trade talk is all conjecture, but I don't understand why Flynn is seen as a disappointment or a failure.
    His style of play just doesn't fit the triangle IMO. He's a scoring PG, and he is a stronger version of TJ. He had low shooting percentages and high TO numbers. Nearly 3 TOs a game. So I suppose that would be why. Did he get abused on D or does anyone know? He seems strong/athletic enough to hold his own despite his height.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post

I'd like to believe Wojo myself, even though I'm not a fan of Flynn's, but in the end I bet it looks like Wells is right. It's far more likely to NOT make a trade than to make a trade.

I guess AJ and Flynn could relive the quadruple OT game from college.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Some of the best point guards of alltime were high turnover guys. Kidd, Isiah, Nash. That doesn't bother me. I would much rather have a guy who can score and create shots for himself and his teammates at will but averages 3 turnovers per game then a guy who is what I call a status quo point guard (Watson) who has very low turnovers and yet isn't a scorer or creator.

Not suggesting Flynn is going to be that good, but the turnover number doesn't scare me off at all

disclaimer: I admit once again I have not seen enough of Flynn to know if his turnovers are because he is capable of doing so many good things or if he is trying to do things he isn't capable of doing.

Are they turnovers like the ones TJ commits or like Nash commits - there is a huge difference
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-22-2010 at 09:32 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Jim R.-

Just for the record, I'll be happy to lead the parade 'blasting' Bird
    and crew for drafting either Orton (from what I've heard, he had
    behind the scenes, attitude issues at KY somewhat similar to
    Cousins, but given his minimial at best role down there, they
    weren't fodder for media discussion, etc.) or Whiteside at #16.

As for the Flynn-T.J. Ford comparison, 'at this point', I suppose I
    can see the comparison. But Flynn is 21 yrs old. T.J. is 26 yrs old.

Is it fair to lump in a kid with plenty of time to continue developing
    his game at the PG spot with an NBA veteran who obviously is what
    he is at this point ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

from hoopsworld

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16541

More Draft Buzz: With the 2010 NBA Draft just two days away there are a lot of things floating around, but as more and more insiders are saying projecting this draft class after the top 10 is going to be crazy, but here are some things we know today:

Minnesota Is Crazy: The Minnesota Timberwolves have to officially be classified as crazy.

The Wolves have offered virtually every team in the league some kind of trade proposal, so at this point there could be as many as 29 trade combinations that drop.

The Wolves have offered almost everyone on their roster at some point this month and they have tried almost every angle imaginable to obtain another top 10 pick in this year's draft.

Sources close to the Clippers say that Minnesota offered the #16 pick and Corey Brewer to the Clippers in exchange for the #8 pick, they have offered multiple player and pick packages to the Indiana Pacers for the #10, and last night league sources said the Timberwolves had at least agreed to the idea of swapping the #16 and Corey Brewer with the Toronto Raptors for the #13 and Hedo Turkoglu - a deal that couldn't drop until July 1st because of cap reasons.

Raptors' sources said last night it wasn't happening as did Wolves sources, but it should illustrate how insane the process is becoming.

Hedo Turkoglu? Really?

The one thing that is crystal clear is that Minnesota is chumming up the trade waters trying to make things happen and that almost anything you hear connected to Minnesota could be just one of many attempts by the team to drum up something splashy.

There are some that believe Philadelphia would trade the #2 overall pick, if they got back two top ten level picks, hence why Minnesota is feverishly trying to make a move.

Word is the #16 and Corey Brewer have been shopped to a half-dozen teams, so just because Minnesota is linked to your team, doesn't mean a deal is anywhere close to happening, it just means your team happened to be one of the teams that took the phone call.

Whats the perception of hoopsworld around here?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to focused444 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Some of the best point guards of alltime were high turnover guys. Kidd, Isiah, Nash. That doesn't bother me. I would much rather have a guy who can score and create shots for himself and his teammates at will but averages 3 turnovers per game then a guy who is what I call a status quo point guard (Watson) who has very low turnovers and yet isn't a scorer or creator.

Not suggesting Flynn is going to be that good, but the turnover number doesn't scare me off at all

disclaimer: I admit once again I have not seen enough of Flynn to know if his turnovers are because he is capable of doing so many good things or if he is trying to do things he isn't capable of doing.

Are they turnovers like the ones TJ commits or like Nash commits - there is a huge difference
    Funny you mention Earl Watson. On DX's profile of Flynn his "Best Case" was Earl Watson. For a 6th overall pick? Ouch. Not saying I agree, just thought that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    from hoopsworld

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16541

More Draft Buzz: With the 2010 NBA Draft just two days away there are a lot of things floating around, but as more and more insiders are saying projecting this draft class after the top 10 is going to be crazy, but here are some things we know today:

Minnesota Is Crazy: The Minnesota Timberwolves have to officially be classified as crazy.

The Wolves have offered virtually every team in the league some kind of trade proposal, so at this point there could be as many as 29 trade combinations that drop.

The Wolves have offered almost everyone on their roster at some point this month and they have tried almost every angle imaginable to obtain another top 10 pick in this year's draft.

Sources close to the Clippers say that Minnesota offered the #16 pick and Corey Brewer to the Clippers in exchange for the #8 pick, they have offered multiple player and pick packages to the Indiana Pacers for the #10, and last night league sources said the Timberwolves had at least agreed to the idea of swapping the #16 and Corey Brewer with the Toronto Raptors for the #13 and Hedo Turkoglu - a deal that couldn't drop until July 1st because of cap reasons.

Raptors' sources said last night it wasn't happening as did Wolves sources, but it should illustrate how insane the process is becoming.

Hedo Turkoglu? Really?

The one thing that is crystal clear is that Minnesota is chumming up the trade waters trying to make things happen and that almost anything you hear connected to Minnesota could be just one of many attempts by the team to drum up something splashy.

There are some that believe Philadelphia would trade the #2 overall pick, if they got back two top ten level picks, hence why Minnesota is feverishly trying to make a move.

Word is the #16 and Corey Brewer have been shopped to a half-dozen teams, so just because Minnesota is linked to your team, doesn't mean a deal is anywhere close to happening, it just means your team happened to be one of the teams that took the phone call.

Whats the perception of hoopsworld around here?
    Peronally, I generally think they're full of it. But this I can believe. Kahn is...interesting....

I can just go off his Syracuse career, I never watched the Wolves, but I must say I don't see the TJ/Flynn comparison at all. I guess they're the same size, but Jonny was a lot more physical. Better shooter, too. TJ was a jitterbug before injuries slowed him down.

Now that I read Rambis is running the triangle, man, when will Phil's former assistants ever learn.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yeah, Flynn and TJ are not comparable outside of their size, and even then Flynn is much stronger, broader shoulders. Built more like a defensive back in football than a track and field guy which is how I would describe TJ's build type.

I liked Flynn a lot out of college, and I still do like him. I think he would honestly probably thrive in JOB's system, which I know is going to scare a lot of people off. I do think he has a great sense of the moment, and is not afraid to take big shots.

Personally, I think he's the second best PG we've looked at based on production since he entered the league after Collison. Lawson IMO is way overblown on this board and in the NBA in general. He'll be a solid pro, but nothing to get extremely excited over. I think Flynn on the other hand, can be a rich man's Jameer Nelson. He compares much closer to Nelson than he does Ford.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

If we're not willing to give up Hibbert..what makes you guys think that Minny is willing to give up Love (without Granger being involved)

Theres no way Love is being packed to us without Granger being involved. The Wolves dont really care to get expirers in return because they are already under the cap
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.