Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford: Pacers most active in trade buzz, looking to trade down or out of draft...

Default Chad Ford: Pacers most active in trade buzz, looking to trade down or out of draft...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?...aft&id=5310599

The draft is now just three days away and things are beginning to get a little bit clearer. I spent the weekend on the phone talking with various NBA executives and agents trying to get a handle on what's happening in the draft. Here's the latest:

The Philadelphia 76ers and Sacramento Kings made the first big trade of the offseason last Thursday, swapping Samuel Dalembert for Andres Nocioni and Spencer Hawes. While the deal made sense for both teams (the Kings needed a shot blocker and the Sixers needed to get under the luxury tax) will there be larger ramifications in the draft?

Sources in both Philly and Sacramento say the trade won't affect their draft plans despite the fact that both teams seemed to fill needs and create new holes in the trade.

The Sixers have been strongly leaning toward taking Evan Turner with the No. 2 pick. However, the addition of Nocioni and the loss of Dalembert leaves them loaded at the wing and pretty bare on the front line. On the surface, it appears that Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins should be better fits.

For the Kings, the team had been looking at both Cousins and Greg Monroe. With the addition of Dalembert as a starting center and the loss of Nocioni, it now appears that their biggest need is at the 3 -- unless the Kings believe that Omri Casspi or Donte Greene is ready to step in and be the starter on a winning team.

However, it looks like both teams are still locked in on their original targets.

More trade talk
    The Sixers-Kings deal should be the first of many as we get closer to the draft. The Washington Wizards, Sixers, New Jersey Nets and Minnesota Timberwolves are all sending strong signals that they're keeping their picks. But after that, it starts to get a little messier.

I've heard that the Kings, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, New Orleans Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Milwaukee Bucks, Chicago Bulls, San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder, Portland Trail Blazers and Denver Nuggets have all been talking about moving picks. The Kings, Pacers, Hornets and Bucks would like to trade down, the Pistons, Grizzlies, Raptors, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, Blazers and Nuggets would like to move up and the Pacers, Hornets and Bulls might want to get out of the draft completely.

That's a lot to digest and here's why. All of these teams are talking to each other. Some teams are looking at three or four different scenarios with the teams above. You can expect that teams will begin narrowing choices on Monday to get things done in enough time before the draft.

From what I can gather, the Pacers, Hornets, Raptors, Spurs and Thunder are the most active right now.

We're starting to see players fall into a bit of a pecking order right now as teams try to decide who they like best at particular positions.

Here are the four hottest debates in NBA front offices at the moment:

Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins

Favors and Cousins have now met in Sacramento and Philly and on June 21 they'll be in New Jersey together. In Sacramento the two worked out on the court together, but didn't actually play against each other. That changed when they went to Philly as Favors' agent gave them the green light to bang.

However, things are moving back to the Sacramento model for the N.J. workout. Apparently Favors' agent complained that the workout in Philly consisted of Cousins fouling Favors on every play, so we're back to two big guys in a gym shooting jump shots.

The stakes couldn't be higher for Favors at the moment. The general consensus in Sacramento and Philly was that Cousins was much better. That makes some sense. Cousins has 47 pounds on Favors and is much more polished on the offensive end. You expect it to be that way.

But Favors seems to be suffering from more than that. Wolves GM David Kahn ripped Favors for his lack of conditioning and doubted that Favors was ready for the NBA. While that certainly could've been a David Kahn smokescreen (I haven't heard feedback he was out of shape in the other two workouts) it all contributes to the narrative that Favors is getting his butt kicked by Cousins at the moment.

Ed Davis or Ekpe Udoh

Davis came into the season with all the momentum, but a so-so year combined with injuries and an underperforming Tar Heels squad has hurt his stock a bit. Meanwhile Udoh resurrected his draft stock by vastly improving at Baylor.

The two haven't gone head-to-head because Davis is still recovering from a wrist injury, but a number of teams including the Pistons, Pacers, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers and Utah Jazz are all trying to get a feel for who they'd prefer if both were on the board.

Right now Udoh seems to have the buzz. He's more polished, is a better offensive player and has the ability to contribute right away. Davis is a better defender, is more explosive athletically and is bigger. He impressed the Jazz and Pacers in recent workouts with his improved shooting ability, but everyone knows he's a project.

The question really comes down to this: Udoh is 23; Davis is 21. In two years, would Davis be as good or better than Udoh is now? If the answer is yes, then the Davis pick is the best one. But sometimes it's easier to take the guy you know can get some stuff done right now.

From what I can gather, I don't think Davis will slip past the Jazz at No. 9. Udoh probably won't get past the Pacers at 10 if they keep their pick.

Luke Babbitt, Gordon Hayward, Xavier Henry or Paul George

These four wings have all impressed in workouts and depending on whom you talk to, you'll get a different answer on who is the best prospect. I think the range for all of them starts at No. 8 to the Clippers. The Jazz, Pacers, Hornets, Grizzlies, Bucks and Timberwolves also look to be in the mix.

Each player offers a different skill set. Babbitt may be the best scorer of the bunch and is the most NBA-ready. Henry is the best pure shooter of the group. Hayward has all the intangibles. George has the most upside (both in terms of athleticism and skills).

Each player also has a serious flaw. Babbitt lacks the lateral quickness to guard the quicker 3s in the league. Henry appears to be a bit one-dimensional. Hayward lacks strength and needs to get his shooting back on track. George lacks a great motor.

In what order will they go? It's way too early to say. If I were to handicap it right now, the Clippers are slightly leaning toward Hayward. The Jazz prefer Babbitt, while the Pacers and Grizzlies like George, and the Hornets and Bucks favor Hayward.

For teams looking for a point guard, the debate is really between Bradley and Bledsoe. Both players are freshmen and didn't have huge years. Bradley is a superior scorer and has good size for the position. Bledsoe is more of a true point guard and sees the floor better.
    Both players are considered raw and unproven, but both have tremendous athletic ability and upside. Both have been working out against each other in virtually every city before Bradley injured his ankle in Oklahoma City.

The real question for both players will come down to one spot in the lottery -- the Raptors at 13. While I've been hearing for weeks now that Bradley has the edge on Bledsoe, I had a trusted source tell me over the weekend that it may be Bledsoe who gets the nod in Toronto.

A true Insider mock draft
    I'm working hard on our next Mock Draft (v. 6.0) for Tuesday. But for those of you sick of hearing what I think every week, here's a pretty good alternative.

It probably doesn't surprise you to hear that most NBA teams do their own mock drafts in an effort to understand what players will be available when they are picking. They use their scouts to talk to other scouts in the league to get intel (along with reading ESPN Insider of course) and then put a mock together.

I persuaded one of the best drafting GMs in the league to share his team's mock with me. He kindly gave me the first 20 picks Enjoy!

1. Wizards: John Wall
    2. Sixers: Evan Turner
    3. Nets: Derrick Favors
    4. T-Wolves: Wesley Johnson
    5. Kings: DeMarcus Cousins
    Note: Monroe had a terrific workout over the weekend. Sounds like Monroe and Cousins are neck and neck here.
    6. Warriors: Greg Monroe
    Note: Interestingly, after the positive workout, Monroe had a shaky one in Golden State on Sunday. You don't want to be outplayed by Omar Samhan when you're trying to talk a team into drafting you at No. 6. This may change.
    7. Pistons: Al-Farouq Aminu
    8. Clippers: Gordon Hayward
    Note: If you're comparing to our Mock Draft v 5.0, we have the first eight in the exact same order. But from here it changes significantly.
    9. Jazz: Ed Davis
    Note: I think you'll see our Mock Draft v. 6.0 take up this suggestion. I've been hearing all week that Davis doesn't get past No. 9 if Monroe is off the board. Sorry, Luke Babbitt.
    10. Pacers: Ekpe Udoh
    Note: This also seems like a good bet. We've had Davis falling here for the past two weeks. But Udoh was the guy we had in Indy for our first two Mock Drafts.
    11. Hornets: Cole Aldrich
    12. Grizzlies: Luke Babbitt
    13. Raptors: Eric Bledsoe
    Note: That's the first major surprise I've heard so far. I've had them higher on Avery Bradley for months ... but maybe he knows something I don't.
    14. Rockets: Patrick Patterson
    15. Bucks: Xavier Henry
    16. Timberwolves: Paul George
    Note: I think this is probably too low for George. I put him here in my last mock draft, but continue to hear he's strongly in the mix for the Clips, Indy and Memphis. Hard to see him sliding past all three.
    17. Bulls: Damion James
    18. Heat: Avery Bradley
    19. Celtics: Solomon Alabi
    20. Spurs: Daniel Orton
    Note: The Spurs need a big man and they could rip out the heart of folks in OKC if they take Orton one pick ahead of the Thunder.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chad Ford: Pacers most active in trade buzz, looking to trade down or out of draft...

Good to hear that Paul George could be in our plans. I think he's going to be the steal of the 1st round.
    Grown Man Ball

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Chad Ford: Pacers most active in trade buzz, looking to trade down or out of draft...

I hate that were trying to trade down. We need an impact player not more role players.

Either trade up, or trade the pick for a veteran
    Sittin on top of the world!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Interesting that the mock draft is not Ford's but one of the "best drafting GM's" in the league. Interesting, I wonder who that is. Spurs, Jazz are two that come to mind. Just a thought, although the jzz are right in the middle of everything so I doubt their GM would want to give out his real mock.

Seems weird that the Pacers are right in the midst of a lot of talk. Although the draft I think is always the most fun from pick 6 through about 11 or 12. Usually 1-5 is pretty well set, after 12 you get to a lot of unknowns.

Today is when I typically start to think about the draft.

I like this part...

"You can expect that teams will begin narrowing choices on Monday to get things done in enough time before the draft."

Let's get the show on the road already damn it!
    Grown Man Ball

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate that were trying to trade down. We need an impact player not more role players.
    I think that is exactly what the Pacers are looking for, an impact veteran player using the pick and an expiring contract might just get the Pacers an impact vet.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-21-2010 at 04:08 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

If we're trying to trade down, I'd be willing to bet that Bird has his eye on a particular player.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Good to hear that Paul George could be in our plans. I think he's going to be the steal of the 1st round.
    He's an intriguing talent, I just wonder if he can play SG on the opposite wing of Granger. If he can, then maybe Rush could be used with one of our expiring contracts to get a veteran PG. That's one way to go?
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

This just in from Mike Wells...

http://twitter.com/Wells222/status/16717504409

"T-Wolves turn down Pacers offer of the 10th pick for PG Jonny Flynn."
    5 minutes ago via web
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    He's an intriguing talent, I just wonder if he can play SG on the opposite wing of Granger. If he can, then maybe Rush could be used with one of our expiring contracts to get a veteran PG. That's one way to go?
    I think that would be an ideal situation. I'd say at worst George will be at least equal to what Rush provides for us, but more than likely will be MUCH better.
    Grown Man Ball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm expecting a lot of draft night trades. More than the past few years.

I'm excited. I think we're gonna pull off a big one for the better.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

5 minutes ago via web
    Can't hurt to ask.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Who knows? They may trade down, plus get the vet you want for an expiring.

Edit: UB beat me to it.
    Last edited by Tom White; 06-21-2010 at 03:58 PM.

5 minutes ago via web
    Thank goodness for that. Is anyone else THAT impressed with Flynn?

Does the idea they were talking with the Wolves dampen the Lawson trade possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Can't hurt to ask.
    I can imagine the call from Bird now...

Bird - "Hey, remember that kid that you drafted last year with the 6th pick in the draft?"

David Kahn - "Yes, that would be Jonny Flynn."

Bird - "so do you want to trade him for the 10th pick this year?"

Kahn - *click*
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm wondering if the GM is Kevin Pritchard being that he is on his way out after the draft.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey Larry, how do you plan to improve this talent-depleted roster to become a contender again?

DURRRRR IUNNO, TRADE DOWN?

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    Hey Larry, how do you plan to improve this talent-depleted roster to become a contender again?

DURRRRR IUNNO, TRADE DOWN?

I'm trying to laugh, but I can't. I just don't think that is at all funny.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    If we're trying to trade down, I'd be willing to bet that Bird has his eye on a particular player.
    I agree, thats what seems to be the case every year

Whats really strange is one of the guys on Hoopsworld said that we are supposedly interested in Hassan Whiteside

Have no clue why

If we stand pat, and he is available I think we took Udoh

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN Insider
    I persuaded one of the best drafting GMs in the league to share his team's mock with me. He kindly gave me the first 20 picks Enjoy!
    20. Spurs: Daniel Orton
    Note: The Spurs need a big man and they could rip out the heart of folks in OKC if they take Orton one pick ahead of the Thunder.
    What are the odds that "best drafting GM" is Poppovich and he's sending a little message to the Thunder. Hope they have an Insider subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Thank goodness for that. Is anyone else THAT impressed with Flynn?

Does the idea they were talking with the Wolves dampen the Lawson trade possibility?
    No,

I was a big Flynn fan prior to the draft last year, however he loks undersized and lost out there

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I'm trying to laugh, but I can't. I just don't think that is at all funny.
    I'm not even trying.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm not even trying.
    It's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm not even trying.
    It's okay Crunk. These kids are too young to even know who Ted Knight is.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm going to be really upset if all this buzz leads to nothing and we just stand pat.

Bird: "We were very active, and we had a lot of talks with a lot of different teams, but in the end there really wasn't a deal out there we liked. I think we have some really good players, and I think if we can stay healthy we can have a really good season. We really like the guys we were able to get in the draft. We think they can come in work hard, and help us win some ball games. We'll have a lot of cap space next year to go after some free agents and we'll continue look into trades, but we're only going to do moves that will make this team better

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post: