Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pacers trade for Monta Ellis?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Should the Pacers trade for Monta Ellis?

I have seen some mention of Ellis being available via trade on this forum, and may of you have said that you don't want Ellis. Why wouldn't you want this guy. He is electric, and a future all-star. If the trade makes sense, we should be aggressive and go after him.

Default Re: Should the Pacers trade for Monta Ellis?

I would love to have Monte Ellis! I think we could use the scoring punch he would bring to the table.

I'd have to agree, at 25pts per game and almost 6 assists per game he is definitely a player the Pacer should go after. He can score at will, and plays decent defense. Averages 2 steals per game, they only knock I have on him is that he hasn't played a full season in many years, moped accidents.

It would be intriguing for sure. He's certainly talented, but defensively he's a mess. Offensively, it's obvious he can score. His assists come from him being a very high volume ball handler. I'm not sure how he would work with Granger.

Monta is the type of player that I think the Pacers can get. NOt great but not terrible either. At 11 million he wouldn't be overpaid IMO but I am not sure how he fits with this team in the future.

I dont think the Warriors want to get rid of him. They rejected Mayo + Thabeet for Ellis...The price for Ellis would just be too much. They would probably ask for Granger in return
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

If someone in G.S. rejected Mayo for Ellis they need their head checked.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

I really would not want this guy on the team. Everything I've heard is that he is extremely ball dominant, a stats-not-wins type guy. Pass.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to binarysolo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HCPacerIN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If someone in G.S. rejected Mayo for Ellis they need their head checked.
    I agree with you...this just shows how high GS is on Ellis
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I agree with you...this just shows how high GS is on Ellis
    I had not even heard about that until you said something, and then I went and looked up the rumors because I had to see it for myself. That is just unbelievable to me.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trade for Monta?? Before his big contract: Yes. After his big contract: No. I say this because I think ever since he got that big contract and Baron Davis left Golden State, he's became more of a "ballhog" from what I've heard and always seems to want his own stats and is fine with not winning a lot of games as long as he gets his stats. I think before his big contract, though, he would have been great for the Pacers to get on their roster as our offense (up-tempo, fast-paced) is his type of game (and we all know the Warriors run run run), but I think our gameplan would be slightly better than the Warriors with Ellis involved on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo View Post
    I really would not want this guy on the team. Everything I've heard is that he is extremely ball dominant, a stats-not-wins type guy. Pass.
    Perhaps he is ball dominate because he has been the only guy there in Oakland?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

It depends on what we have to give up to get him. You can play him at the 2 or 1. What you get is a player who can break down defenses going to the rim and finish with either hand. He is a decent passer, and defender, uses his quickness to get steals. He plays with his heart, and yes he has made some poor off the court decisions. But he is going to give you an offensive punch and a huge transition scoring option on a nightly basis. He is still young and I think he is fairly coachable. He has butted heads with Nellie, but who hasn't?

Living here in Oakland, I have gotten to see him play a lot in person. The kid is electric and would instantly become a fan favorite in Indy. His defense needs work over all, can have trouble with bigger 2 guards. Offensively he can become unstoppable at times, and attacks the rim like no ones business. It gets to a point where you start to take it for granted, he does it so much. Down side of him is that he needs the ball a lot to be really effective offensively, but I do think under the right system and coach he could change.

IMO Monta is a 2 guard, not the solution at the point. GS has tried him at the point, but since Curry as come in they've played him more at the 2, which he did well at. But again guarding bigger 2G's he struggled.

I would give up Rush, Ford (expiring), and 2nd rd pick for him. I know they won't want any part of Dun and Murph's expirings... Probably not enough, but worth some discussion. If you have seen him play you have to give this some pause for thought.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by HCPacerIN View Post
    I had not even heard about that until you said something, and then I went and looked up the rumors because I had to see it for myself. That is just unbelievable to me.
    By all indications, so far the Warriors aren’t eager to trade Monta Ellis, even if he would be interested in a new location, if they’re beginning to realize he’s not a perfect fit with Stephen Curry and if Memphis is very interested in acquiring Ellis.

According to multiple NBA sources, the Warriors rejected Memphis’ intriguing offer of OJ Mayo + Thabeet.

This deal was first offered at the start of the season and possibly is still on the table, in Memphis’ view, and still rejected by the Warriors.
    http://www.hoopsnotes.com/2010/02/wa...r-monta-ellis/

Basically, even though he is a good player, I would scratch him off our wish list because GS is going to want a lot in return...which we are not willing to give up

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    It depends on what we have to give up to get him. You can play him at the 2 or 1. What you get is a player who can break down defenses going to the rim and finish with either hand. He is a decent passer, and defender, uses his quickness to get steals. He plays with his heart, and yes he has made some poor off the court decisions. But he is going to give you an offensive punch and a huge transition scoring option on a nightly basis. He is still young and I think he is fairly coachable. He has butted heads with Nellie, but who hasn't?

Living here in Oakland, I have gotten to see him play a lot in person. The kid is electric and would instantly become a fan favorite in Indy. His defense needs work over all, can have trouble with bigger 2 guards. Offensively he can become unstoppable at times, and attacks the rim like no ones business. It gets to a point where you start to take it for granted, he does it so much. Down side of him is that he needs the ball a lot to be really effective offensively, but I do think under the right system and coach he could change.

IMO Monta is a 2 guard, not the solution at the point. GS has tried him at the point, but since Curry as come in they've played him more at the 2, which he did well at. But again guarding bigger 2G's he struggled.

I would give up Rush, Ford (expiring), and 2nd rd pick for him. I know they won't want any part of Dun and Murph's expirings... Probably not enough, but worth some discussion. If you have seen him play you have to give this some pause for thought.
    Since you've seen him more regularly (I only get to see him maybe 2-3x/yr) how do you feel he'd fit with Granger? Would they complement each other or take shots away from each other and clash?

So it sounds like if we were able to get Monta we'd need to get big point guard so they can swap on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    Since you've seen him more regularly (I only get to see him maybe 2-3x/yr) how do you feel he'd fit with Granger? Would they complement each other or take shots away from each other and clash?
    I think he would fit in with Granger. I don't see their games clashing, maybe you worry about Monta having the ball too longer, but I would love to see them play together!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

In the interest of minimizing equivocation, no, no, no and NOOOOO !

There is no way that they would trade him to us. The guys we are willing to trade away are the same guys they traded to Indiana a few years ago.

Sure, if the price is right. (not granger)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    It would be intriguing for sure. He's certainly talented, but defensively he's a mess. Offensively, it's obvious he can score. His assists come from him being a very high volume ball handler. I'm not sure how he would work with Granger.
    His defense has improved a lot, especially in the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo
    He's not really that ball dominant. The only black holes on Golden State are Anthony Randolph and Corey Maggette, imo. Maybe dc can chime in here since they watch more GS than I do.

I'd take Ellis because he's a great scorer that's starting to play average/above average defense.

Mood

No.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

This is the guy I'm hoping Pacers get.

Looks like Bird was interested in Jamal Crawford, why not Ellis?

I don't want him. But Bucher said Memphis and GS are talking a Gay for Ellis + filler swap. Which makes no sense for Memphis.

I'm not really interested.