Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gillette Proglide

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Gillette Proglide

Anyone here bought it yet? Is it worth buying? Is the difference between it and the Fusion that noticeable?

Default Re: Gillette Proglide

I can't believe someone would even buy the Fusion. Those blade refills are crazy expensive.

My face always used to break out when I shaved and my Dad told me (I thought he was joking) to try to the Gillette disposable Venus razors for women. They're actually really good if you have sensitive skin and they're pretty cheap. I do use specialty $25 shaving cream but I only have to replace it a couple times a year as opposed to the Fusion refills which would cost me a lot more because the blades go dull on me fast.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I get a lot of milage on a fusion blade. Plus bying them at Costco save a little. I have not tried the new razor yet. Still have a bunch of the Costco blades left.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

I get a lot of mileage out of my fusion blade too, and I shave quite frequently. The key is to dry the blade off after shaving as the water speeds up the corrosion process. I've greatly increased the lifespan of my razors since I started doing that.

I think the Fusion is great and therefore am reluctant to buy the Proglide. Then again, I thought the Mach 3 was great until I used the Fusion...
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-21-2010 at 01:19 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

What's the difference?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the difference?
    Marketing.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    What's the difference?

I don't know if I'll make the leap. I'm perfectly happy with the Fusion and I have several blades left for it...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://www.theonion.com/articles/***...-blades,11056/

Strong language so surf accordingly as this may be NSFW.

Well crap, I don't know how to defeat PD's swear filter here. Just replace the **** with the real deal when you follow the link and refresh.
    Last edited by travmil; 06-21-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I can't believe someone would even buy the Fusion. Those blade refills are crazy expensive.

My face always used to break out when I shaved and my Dad told me (I thought he was joking) to try to the Gillette disposable Venus razors for women. They're actually really good if you have sensitive skin and they're pretty cheap. I do use specialty $25 shaving cream but I only have to replace it a couple times a year as opposed to the Fusion refills which would cost me a lot more because the blades go dull on me fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I get a lot of milage on a fusion blade. Plus bying them at Costco save a little. I have not tried the new razor yet. Still have a bunch of the Costco blades left.
    I use the Fusion, too. I also get a few months out of a cartridge.

dcpacersfan is right, the Venus razor is great for people with sensitive skin. When I start to break out after shaving I get one and it works like a charm.

My wife bought replacement cartridges for my Fusion this week, and got ProGlide by mistake.

It may not be an apples-to-apples comparison, since I'm comparing it to a dull Fusion blade, but the ProGlide was insanely impressive.

That said, I'm sick of paying for refills. I'm looking at perhaps moving to a safety razor.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

How I love having a beard I only need to trim once a week or so...

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

while Piggy is trimming only once a week cause of his beard - I shave only once a week/10 days cause I just don't really grow facial hair...makes life easy thats for sure.

Must be nice Belli. I shave every day when working. Now that i am on break, usually only on church days or when my wife decideds I've gone from "rugged" to scruffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    My wife bought replacement cartridges for my Fusion this week, and got ProGlide by mistake.

It may not be an apples-to-apples comparison, since I'm comparing it to a dull Fusion blade, but the ProGlide was insanely impressive.

That said, I'm sick of paying for refills. I'm looking at perhaps moving to a safety razor.

Do the proglide cartridges fit on the old fusion razors?

I have very sensitive skin and every time I deviate from the simple and cheap Schick Slim Twin disposable razor I waste insane amounts of money, hack myself up, or both. The Slim Twin has the "clean out" bar. Use it, and dry it out, and it lasts at least a week. Other brands seem too sharp and I get nicks all over.

I've tried fancier freebies that seem to work but don't clean out as well, so the third time around the shave gets worse.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I've found the Fusion to be too large, too clunky for me, and so I've stuck with the Mach 3. I also don't like that sideburn razor because I shave in the shower, and that thing is like a little razor blade just waiting to slice me if I turn the wrong way while shampooing.

My problem is that I'm pretty sure they've discontinued the Mach 3 Power razor, so once mine breaks I'll likely have no choice but to step up to the Fusion. Hopefully the Proglide will be better than the Fusion, or hopefully they've gone back to a more minimalist approach with razors by then.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    I've found the Fusion to be too large, too clunky for me, and so I've stuck with the Mach 3. I also don't like that sideburn razor because I shave in the shower, and that thing is like a little razor blade just waiting to slice me if I turn the wrong way while shampooing.

My problem is that I'm pretty sure they've discontinued the Mach 3 Power razor, so once mine breaks I'll likely have no choice but to step up to the Fusion. Hopefully the Proglide will be better than the Fusion, or hopefully they've gone back to a more minimalist approach with razors by then.
    I enjoy the single blade part of the Fusion, for under my nostrils and my sideburns. I also shave in the shower, I just have to be careful.

for those that shave in the shower, how can you do that without a mirror to see yourself.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    for those that shave in the shower, how can you do that without a mirror to see yourself.
    Try it. It's really not hard.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Do the proglide cartridges fit on the old fusion razors?
    Yep.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/***...-blades,11056/

Strong language so surf accordingly as this may be NSFW.

Well crap, I don't know how to defeat PD's swear filter here. Just replace the **** with the real deal when you follow the link and refresh.
    This amused me... is this legit?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Are you not familiar with your own face?

It's either you're a vampire or you've never looked at yourself in a mirror.

Just bought one o' these on the way home.

I'll write a report comparing it to the Fusion and Shick Quattro when I get out of the shower. And tomorrow I'll write another report for how well it works when I only shave my face.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by The Toxic Avenger View Post
    This amused me... is this legit?
    No, but The Onion is a hilarious news parody website.

Okay, I just put the Proglide through my normal shaving routine (face only - creepers).

For most of you, this probably is something that takes about 30 seconds every day and involves no real effort. I was fortunate enough to be born with facial skin sensitive enough that I can shave every-other-day at best, and typically every three days unless I'm workin'. One of life's little ironies is that my facial hair is a pain in the *** to shave as well - while I don't have exactly the opposite of belli's issue, it's not super easy. These two issues combine for a non-regular shaving schedule with an absurd number of shaving products so as to not bleed every time. Having painted a picture of a 12 year old girl with steel wire facial hair who also owns far too many bathroom products, I move on to the razors.

Fusion

I've used this in the past. I had no real issue with it. I got a decent number of shaves out of it before having to replace it OR before I was having to go over any one area ninety-seven times to get a solid shave. Back when I used this, I only used shaving gel so I don't know if I would encounter the problems I had with later razors dealing with the shaving products I have to use. For reasons I fail to recall, I switched to the Schick Quattro at some point.

Schick Quattro

By far the best "first shave" I've ever gotten from a razor. Smooth, easy and only had to go over any area one time. In fact, if I wasn't careful, I might take a little skin with it by pressing too hard. After switching to this razor, I started using the shaving routine I use now. The Quattro was infuriating to no end with this. I use a pre-shave oil and a combination of shaving gel and cream every time I shave. The Quattro could handle this once before copping out. Keep in mind that I only shave every few days, so it's not exactly an easy shave. The blades would be completely packed and unusable after two shaves, maybe three. The cost of replacement at this rate is certainly prohibitive.

Proglide

Used it once so far. Good shave. The grip is a little unwieldy, but I'm also used to a smaller razor at this point. No issues with blades getting clogged, but we'll see after a couple shaves. I'll update at some point there. Replacement cost is a lot.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post: