Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antoine Walker to be a Hawk

bapspacers4life

Default Antoine Walker to be a Hawk

Antoine Walker to be a Hawk: 08/03 -
    6:09 AM
    Although he expected to be traded to the Knicks, Antoine Walker will apparently be traded tomorrow from the Mavs to the Hawks for Jason Terry and Alan Henderson, a league source revealed.

Walker is owed $14.625M in the final year of his contract. Terry, a guard, has $7.5M and $6.6M left over two years, while Henderson, an injury-prone forward, is owed $8.2M for one year.

Default Re: Antoine Walker to be a Hawk

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/26166.htm

This is according to Vecsey, so it's not a lock.

Terry will help Dallas a lot- a very good style for him.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So Dallas still doesn't have a point guard. I guess they are going to try and out score everyone again?
    [edit=79=1091537983][/edit]

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/26100.htm

CRAWFORD KNICK DEAL IS AT HAND

By PETER VECSEY and MARC BERMAN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ON THE MOVE:
    Thanks to Bulls' latest counter-offer, Jamal Crawford is expected to become a Knick as soon as today.
    Getty Images
    Email Archives
    Print Reprint

August 3, 2004 -- Bull combo guard Jamal Crawford could become a Knick as soon as today, as Chicago GM John Paxson has made a counter-offer that Knick president Isiah Thomas is expected to accept, according to sources.
    Paxson has removed two overpaid swingmen — the Knicks' Shandon Anderson and the Bulls' Eddie Robinson — from the deal, allowing the Bulls to save an additional $10 million in future payroll.

Though Thomas wanted to move Anderson, it appears Paxson is willing to accept Moochie Norris in a compromise the Knick president couldn't refuse.

Meanwhile, The Post has also learned Golden State center Erick Dampier will visit the Knicks in New York this week, an indication the Knicks are still very much in the hunt.

If the Crawford deal goes through as expected, the Knicks still have the pawns to trade for Dampier or at least be in position to award him the mid-level exception. Nazr Mohammed, Kurt Thomas and Othella Harrington are all available in a Dampier package.

In a related story, the Hawks are now talking to Dallas about Antoine Walker.

Meanwhile, the pared-down Crawford package would likely include Dikembe Mutombo, Norris and $3 million moving to the Bulls for Jerome Williams and Crawford, at the very least. It's unclear if the newest offer attempted to bring back Frank Williams in the package. Crawford would sign a six-year, $55 million contract.

Paxson had expressed his desire to jettison both Williams and Robinson in this trade. Although Paxson thought Anderson could be a good defensive role player, his contract that has three years and $23.7 million left on it is one of the NBA's worst, more severe than Robinson's (2 years, $14M). Isiah had hoped to rid himself of Anderson, whose offensive performance in the playoffs was pitiful.

The sign-and-trade talks for the Bulls combo guard has been interminable, lasting all of July and hitting another roadblock a week ago when the two sides met face-to-face in the Windy City Summit at O'Hare Airport with Isiah trying to convince the Bulls Norris' pact is not insufferable because the last year is not guaranteed.

On Saturday, agent Aaron Goodwin said progress was made since the summit and a source indicated the sides had moved on past the Moochie issue. "I'm a little frustrated, but it will get better," Goodwin told The Post Saturday. "Chicago wants the perfect deal. We're trying to get them to accept a very good one."

Goodwin declined comment last night.

!

Al Harrington will have fewer shots to take if Antoine is hoisting them up as usual in Atlanta.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Am I missing something? I just don't see this helping Atlanta except with cap space next year.

Austin's going to have huge trade value the last year of his contract. :-)
    [edit=22=1091539000][/edit]
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Yes, but there will be no Jason Terry so it kindda balances out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but there will be no Jason Terry so it kindda balances out.
    Walker has averaged 1492 shots a season while Terry has averaged 1105, so Al will lose a few more than if Terry had been there. If you discount last season's shot sacrafic for the good of the team, Walker's average goes up to 1564 a year. I'm thinking that is what he will be closer to with the Hawks, unless he focuses on his passing to make up for the fact they do not have a point guard.

And we thought we had a log jam at the SF position. That is 2/3 of the Hawks team.

so if this happens, there lineup would look like this:

pg ??royal ivey??
    sg childress
    sf walker
    pf harrington
    c rebraca

... what about josh smith(f), their other rookie. i guess he'll be on the bench.

I would guess that after missing out on almost every free agent this year the Hawks have simply decided to wait till next year to build their team. Anyone know who will have space other than the Hawks next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I would guess that after missing out on almost every free agent this year the Hawks have simply decided to wait till next year to build their team. Anyone know who will have space other than the Hawks next year?

Charlotte, Cleveland, Golden
    State, Clippers, New Jersey (if they get rid of Kidd), Portland, and Seattle will all be significantly under the cap, with a few others having only a little cap space...
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Quote Originally Posted by ucla31
    so if this happens, there lineup would look like this:

pg ??royal ivey??
    sg childress
    sf walker
    pf harrington
    c rebraca

... what about josh smith(f), their other rookie. i guess he'll be on the bench.
    I would expect Collier to get the start at center. They resigned him this summer, and Rebraca is still a FA. Either way, they'll be competing with the Bobcats for worst record
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

I think AL and Walker will make a pretty good forward tandem. Walker is an excellent passer, and I think that combo will be a good combo.

This is just a great deal for Dallas. They replace Nash with a younger, healthier guy who's making less and hang onto some cap relief.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hawks will still be a lottery team though.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A lot of people are forgetting the Mavs have a very good young PG in Devin Harris. I wouldn't put it past Harris to take the starting PG job from Terry.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Would anybody be surprised if Al ends up coming off the bench for the Hawks before the season is over?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Would anybody be surprised if Al ends up coming off the bench for the Hawks before the season is over?

-Bball
    I would!! I think Al is good enough to start and contribute on at least 50% of the teams in the league, and definently on the Hawks...
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Al is STILL the best player the Hawks have.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1851245

Here is Stein's story:

By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

The Dallas Mavericks are expected to complete a trade Wednesday that will send Antoine Walker and guard Tony Delk to the Atlanta Hawks for guard Jason Terry and forward Alan Henderson, league sources have told ESPN.com.

With the league office closed Tuesday, the deal cannot be finalized before Wednesday, sources said. Atlanta would also receive Philadelphia's protected first-round pick in 2005.

Terry, left, would replace Steve Nash, while Walker, right, could be an East All-Star.

The trade increases the likelihood that Jason Kidd will be staying with the New Jersey Nets. One source close to Kidd told ESPN.com last week that Dallas' Mark Cuban appeared to be the only owner in the league willing to absorb the remaining five years and $90 million on Kidd's contract in a trade.

But with the Nets not ready to deal Kidd -- and Kidd not yet demanding a trade -- Cuban opted for an immediate move to help fill the void at point guard created by Steve Nash's departure.

Although Terry is much more of a shooting guard than Nash, he has only two seasons left on a three-year, $24 million deal signed last summer -- making Terry a trade asset as well as a potential Nash replacement. Henderson is entering the final season of a seven-year, $45 million deal, meaning the Mavericks will still have two expiring contracts on the payroll -- Henderson and Christian Laettner -- to peddle in additional trades between now and February.

In Walker, Atlanta gets a former Eastern Conference All-Star who was shopped to several teams because he, too, is in the final year of his contract. Walker thus has ample motivation to put forth a strong season, although he had hoped to go to New York (Isiah Thomas is a 'Toine fan) or Philadelphia (whose new coach is Jim O'Brien, Walker's former boss in Boston).

Sources said the Mavericks have not ruled out pursuing Kidd later in the season, after Kidd proves his health following July 1 knee surgery. Acquiring Terry gives Dallas a point guard to offer New Jersey down the road while also protecting the Mavericks in case they can't strike a deal with the Nets.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks like Delk will start for Atlanta.

Kstat, I have no dobt that Harris will be starting by the end of the season. That would probably make Terry happy not having to run the team. He would make a great 6th man & sparke plug off the bench.

With Nellie running things I have no idea who will start where.

Does this mean the Hawks are going to build around Al? I don't know if the Hawks can afford to make trades where they aren't getting talent in return. Free agents will not want to sign there no matter how much cap room they have.
    [edit=75=1091561816][/edit]
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

So the Celtics were roasted for getting only Raef LaFrentz and Jiri Welsch, and a draft pick for Antoine.

Dallas gets Terry (a 6'1" shooting guard, no matter how you look at it) and an expensive guy they might cut.

I think Dallas discovered why the Celtics wanted to rid themselves of Antoine, and couldn't get much more for him than the Celtics did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    A lot of people are forgetting the Mavs have a very good young PG in Devin Harris. I wouldn't put it past Harris to take the starting PG job from Terry.
    I don't see Harris being ready to start for them as a rookie - especially coming from a system that stressed halfcourt, ball control offense.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I don't see Harris being ready to start for them as a rookie - especially coming from a system that stressed halfcourt, ball control offense.
    Good point.

I guess we'll see if Terry can cut it on a good (or, well, decent) team. I'm just glad he didn't come here. e:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

oh please! Peter Vescey...mwuahuwhuahua....he thinks everyones coming to the damn knicks. So if he says JCraw is, im sure he isn't. Hes almost nEVER right,....
    as for JT going to the mavs, that blows..lol