Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avery Bradley tops on Pacers draft board?

Default Avery Bradley tops on Pacers draft board?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16497
    By: Steve Kyler Last Updated: 6/17/10 7:47 AM ET

Avery Bradley:
    Avery Bradley's ankle is said to be progressing nicely and that he is still a strong candidate for the Raptors at #13. The real question is will he be there?

The Indiana Pacers are said to have Bradley as the top name on their board at #10, and if the Pacers keep the pick, which is still up in the air it looks like Bradley could be a Pacer next week.
    If the Pacers trade the pick, it's likely Bradley tumbles to #13 and Toronto will scoop him up.
    The Raptors have brought Bradley in for a second sit-down visit and seem to have him high on their list.
    Sources close to the situation say the raptors have Bradley, Larry Sanders and Solomon Alabi as possibles with the #13.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Avery Bradley tops on Pacers draft board?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16497
    By: Steve Kyler Last Updated: 6/17/10 7:47 AM ET

Avery Bradley:
    Avery Bradley's ankle is said to be progressing nicely and that he is still a strong candidate for the Raptors at #13. The real question is will he be there?

The Indiana Pacers are said to have Bradley as the top name on their board at #10, and if the Pacers keep the pick, which is still up in the air it looks like Bradley could be a Pacer next week.
    If the Pacers trade the pick, it's likely Bradley tumbles to #13 and Toronto will scoop him up.
    The Raptors have brought Bradley in for a second sit-down visit and seem to have him high on their list.
    Sources close to the situation say the raptors have Bradley, Larry Sanders and Solomon Alabi as possibles with the #13.
    I think we're trading it. But if we keep it he better learn to play PG quickly or Bird will look like a moron drafting a PF in a PG draft, then a PG in a PF draft. Nice foresight there....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ESutt7 For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Raptors want Bradley?? How about we draft Bradley and trade him to the Raptors for Jack??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

I would love to see us draft Bradley and have the Raps draft Bledsoe and do a draft day swap of Bledsoe + Amir Johnson for Bradley
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Wonder if Toronto is our trading partner. Think about it:
    -They want cap space / we have expirings.
    -They may need a PF / we have a vet PF who is available.
    -They may want a young PF in the draft / we have a higher pick to help.
    -They may have a PG available / we need a PG.
    -They have had a PG we have who is expiring / that PG is VERY available!
    -There is a history of working together

Maybe:
    T.Murph/#10 (Aldrich/Udoh/Davis?)
    for
    R.Evans (exp)/J.Jack/#13 (Bradley)

or...

TJ.Ford/S.Jones/#10 (Aldrich/Udoh/Bledsoe?)
    for
    M.Banks/J.Jack/#13 (Bradley)

The only contracts Tor has betond Jack are Calderon (NO!) & Turk (NOx2!!). Moving Jack frees up $ for them n/y, and the Pacers get a vocal leader & a fan favorite back by giving up little cap space in '11. I could see Tor being very nervis about Aldrich getting picked by N.O., or someone trading w/ the Pacers to get him. He is a need for them IMO, though maybe they have someone else in mind.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Wonder if Toronto is our trading partner. Think about it:
    -They want cap space / we have expirings.
    -They may need a PF / we have a vet PF who is available.
    -They may want a young PF in the draft / we have a higher pick to help.
    -They may have a PG available / we need a PG.
    -They have had a PG we have who is expiring / that PG is VERY available!
    -There is a history of working together

Maybe:
    for

or...

for

The only contracts Tor has betond Jack are Calderon (NO!) & Turk (NOx2!!). Moving Jack frees up $ for them n/y, and the Pacers get a vocal leader & a fan favorite back by giving up little cap space in '11. I could see Tor being very nervis about Aldrich getting picked by N.O., or someone trading w/ the Pacers to get him. He is a need for them IMO, though maybe they have someone else in mind.
    It's certainly possible. With the other rumors out there though, I for one would be disappointed if this was the best we could do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ESutt7 For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

all in all, I just hope the Pacers make at least 1 trade as I'm tired of Larry Bird just sitting back and doing absolutely nothing, missing his golden opportunity at a chance of something good happening to the team in terms of trades, and just saying "Oh well, I'd rather take a nap, and at least I still have my job." At least that's what it feels like to me that he's doing (not only the draft, but also the trade deadlines)...plus hardly anything ever gets done in Indy. Even these ESPN reporters and sports writers know that the Pacers are rarely ever big players in trade talks.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    all in all, I just hope the Pacers make at least 1 trade as I'm tired of Larry Bird just sitting back and doing absolutely nothing, missing his golden opportunity at a chance of something good happening to the team in terms of trades, and just saying "Oh well, I'd rather take a nap, and at least I still have my job." At least that's what it feels like to me that he's doing (not only the draft, but also the trade deadlines)...plus hardly anything ever gets done in Indy. Even these ESPN reporters and sports writers know that the Pacers are rarely ever big players in trade talks.
    For crying out loud.

First, has it really only been one draft between Larry having shaken things up big time to move around and get players and this "Larry sit[s] back and do[es] absolutely nothing" opinion?

Second, I get really tired of the idea that if a trade doesn't happen it means no one was trying to make it happen. There are people in this forum that will go off if the Pacers don't manage to make a miracle trade for the second pick, because somehow that would be really easy to do with our assets.

Someone open a window and let some reality in here.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    It's certainly possible. With the other rumors out there though, I for one would be disappointed if this was the best we could do.
    Ummm...Ill take Jarret Jack, sign me up.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

I honestly wouldn't be all that disappointed if we drafted Avery Bradley with the 10th pick.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by HCPacerIN View Post
    Ummm...Ill take Jarret Jack, sign me up.
    Because we didn't have the option last year to match the contract. If we wanted him at that price he would still be a Pacer..... I would rather have Bradley personally

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Because we didn't have the option last year to match the contract. If we wanted him at that price he would still be a Pacer..... I would rather have Bradley personally
    1.) We get Jack by sending away salery to match, not by only adding salery as we were doing if we were signing him as a FA. This was NOT an option to do l/y, esp. based on our cap situation.
    2.) The trade fo Jack (per the discussion below) still lands us Bradley! This gives you both - an entirely new back court!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I , personally dont want Jarret Jack back for two reasons

He is a back up PG, and an expensive one at that

I will be forced to watch another year of TJ Ford/ Jarret Jack playing together at the same time
    Sittin on top of the world!

1.) We get Jack by sending away salery to match, not by only adding salery as we were doing if we were signing him as a FA. This was NOT an option to do l/y, esp. based on our cap situation.
    2.) The trade fo Jack (per the discussion below) still lands us Bradley! This gives you both - an entirely new back court!
    I almost posted this same thing with Bledsoe as the target, but Bradley too.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I , personally dont want Jarret Jack back for two reasons

He is a back up PG, and an expensive one at that

I will be forced to watch another year of TJ Ford/ Jarret Jack playing together at the same time
    Really doubt Ford is here come October, but I agree that O'Brien would be playing Jack in that stellar 2 PG offense of his, whoever the other PG would be. Other than that, I'd be for bringing back Jack as a serviceable starter/strong leader and focusing our attention on improving the PF and SG spots.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Chillout For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    I think you missed something. A few questionable decisions by Bird is what kept us from signing Jack. You know like kind of overpaying for Dahntay Jones and resigning Jeff Foster. Had the money been there he would still be here for that price.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    There has been talk on this board about Bird's presser last year after the draft about how hard he had said he tried to make something happen. How everything came down to the wire and just failed to materialize.

You can complain about his personnel decisions all you want, but it is COMPLETELY off base to say he's been sitting around watching as things happen.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

In fact, I think this may be the trade.

#10 (Cole Aldrich)
    TJ Ford (expiring)

for

#13 (Bledsoe or Avery Bradley)
    Jarret Jack
    expiring filler?

Scouting director Ryan Carr mentions something about maybe 2 new Point Guards to start next season in the Pacers.com Crate segment.

This allows Jack to jump right in and be the starter for a couple of years, while AJ and Bradley or Bledsoe do their internship. Dumps TJ. Takes on 2 additional years of Jacks deal, but at a time when room will be available to do so. Pacers drop down where one or both Bledsoe and Bradley will be available.

Toronto gets out of two years of Jacks contract and gets a starting caliber centre in Aldrich and can move Bargnani to the 4 with Bosh leaving. They jump ahead of the Hornets and Grizzlies to have their pick of the second/third tier litter.

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    I think we're trading it. But if we keep it he better learn to play PG quickly or Bird will look like a moron drafting a PF in a PG draft, then a PG in a PF draft. Nice foresight there....
    Personally, I like the Hansbrough pick.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by speed

#10 (Cole Aldrich)
    TJ Ford (expiring)

for

Jarret Jack
    expiring filler?
    These were my suggestions - right on the same lines....

Maybe:
    for

or...

for

1 gives us 2 new PG's, the other a 1 yr. safety-gab for Hans to show he's healthy.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

#10 (Cole Aldrich)
    TJ Ford (expiring)

for

Jarret Jack
    expiring filler?

Scouting director Ryan Carr mentions something about maybe 2 new Point Guards to start next season in the Pacers.com Crate segment.

This allows Jack to jump right in and be the starter for a couple of years, while AJ and Bradley or Bledsoe do their internship. Dumps TJ. Takes on 2 additional years of Jacks deal, but at a time when room will be available to do so. Pacers drop down where one or both Bledsoe and Bradley will be available.

Toronto gets out of two years of Jacks contract and gets a starting caliber centre in Aldrich and can move Bargnani to the 4 with Bosh leaving. They jump ahead of the Hornets and Grizzlies to have their pick of the second/third tier litter.
    I like the idea of bringing Jack back, but I think he can be had for an expiring after the draft (so we can use the #10 for another asset). Plus, I think we may value him more than most teams, so we may not have to outbid many teams during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Chillout View Post
    I like the idea of bringing Jack back, but I think he can be had for an expiring after the draft (so we can use the #10 for another asset). Plus, I think we may value him more than most teams, so we may not have to outbid many teams during the summer.
    That's a good point. If they just want to unload him.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

#10 (Cole Aldrich)
    TJ Ford (expiring)

for

Jarret Jack
    expiring filler?
    Interesting. While I am only just "okay" with bringing Jack back - I really liked watching him play - getting rid of Ford to take on his reasonable contract and still getting the player we want sounds like a pretty solid deal. I think Toronto would do this, but they would probably want to buy out Ford ASAP.

Avery shot 43% from the field @ Texas, which concerns me a little bit, and he shot 55% from the free throw line, which concerns me a lot. 37% from three is pretty good though.

The thing I have to wonder about guys like Avery is whether or not they are actually more suited for the more wide-open NBA game than the college game. Perhaps he will benefit from running more pick-and-rolls and focusing on more of a two man game.

Apparently he has fantastic physical tools, but I honestly couldn't care less about physical tools when it comes to the point guard position. The best PG the Pacers have ever had, Mark Jackson, was anything but a physical specimen (he was drafted 18th by the Knicks BTW). Give me a guy who knows how to run a team and can knock down open jumpers on kick-outs over someone who plays pretty...

I like Jack as a mentor to Bradley. They are about the same size, Jack has a good work ethic by all reports and is a great great lockeroom guy. He wouldn't let his ego get in the way of training his replacement in any way. His salary is perfectly in line timewise and it's not that high, I think for a fringe starter type. He's just a good pro. His salary was tough to take last year because you were up against the luxury tax, now it seems much more palateable under these circumstances, imho.

If I saw getting Jack as the "answer" long term at point guard, I wouldn't like it. If I see him as a mentor to a guy or guys who have pretty high upsides for down the line, I'm all for it.

I'd be behind this deal. It's not a homerun, but it's a solid double and puts a runner on base.
    Last edited by Speed; 06-17-2010 at 01:52 PM.