Thread: The NBA introduces rivalry week....look out indy, here comes the CAVS!

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The NBA introduces rivalry week....look out indy, here comes the CAVS!

For the first time ever, the NBA schedule features a weeklong series of games that highlight regional contests, divisional games and historic playoff matchups as part of Rivalry Week, which runs from Tuesday, Feb. 22 through Wednesday, March 2.

During the week, ESPN will feature:

Houston at San Antonio (Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 9 p.m. ET) Cleveland at Indiana (Friday, Feb. 25 at 8 p.m. ET) A a rematch of the 2004 NBA Finals as the Lakers host the Pistons (Friday, Feb. 25 at 10:30 p.m. ET) Miami at Orlando (Sunday, Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m. ET) Charlotte at New Orleans (Wednesday, March 2 at 9 p.m. ET) As part of Rivalry Week, TNT will feature a doubleheader on Thursday, Feb. 24 as New York hosts Philadelphia at 7 p.m. ET, followed by Sacramento at Dallas at 9:30 p.m. ET, a renewal of their playoff rivalry from the past two seasons. NBA TV will televise other key matchups during Rivalry Week, rekindling historic playoff rivalries including:

Boston at the Lakers on Tuesday, Feb. 22 at 10:30 p.m. ET Indiana at New York on Saturday, Feb. 26 at 7:30 p.m. ET Utah at Houston on Sunday, Feb. 27 at 4 p.m. ET The Lakers at New York on Monday, Feb. 28 at 7:30 p.m. ET

[edit=64=1091478005][/edit]
    [edit=64=1091478061][/edit]

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: The NBA introduces rivalry week....look out indy, here comes the CAVS!

At least you guys got the Knicks on NBATV....

...... but the CAVS? This is news to me.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: The NBA introduces rivalry week....look out indy, here comes the CAVS!

The cavs????

The only Cav I ever disliked was Fratello...and that wasn't until he moved to the booth.

(I learned to really dislike him fast tho when they started mentioning him as a possible replacement for Zeke)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Nothin' like those good old Cav/Pacer games

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, you know, once the Pistons elevated themselves from being 20-win per season also-ran's in the early 80s, we had to take your place as the Cavs' main futility rival.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I went to enough Pacers games in Cleveland while I was there... (and probably drove the fans crazy)... maybe they think we have a rivalry! I know all of my friends now love to see the Pacers lose because of me...

In reality though, I don't get it...
    [edit=392=1091480742][/edit]
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Booger

The NBA had to find a way to get LeBron into rivalry week, and since Indiana was at the top of the conference last year, the NBA chose LeBron vs. the P's.

It's all about the $$$$$

From what Mark and Slick said (the game was not on TV anywhere) the Pacers at Cleveland game last March was one of the best games of the season.

And then you add in the Artest vs Lebron matchup and I can see how the pacers and Cavs have a rivalry

[edit=24=1091482016][/edit]

When do the Kings come to play Indiana?
    AKA Sactolover05

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sactolover05
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When do the Kings come to play Indiana?
    We head to Sacramento on Friday, December 3. They come here to Conseco on Saturday, December 11.

Thanks
    AKA Sactolover05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For me to even come close to granting Cleveland "rivalry" status, they first have to do something.

Like maybe make the playoffs. Or maybe even winning consistently.

A rivalry between the team that had the best record in the league and a team that didn't even make the playoffs.

Come on. Get real.

Pacers-Knicks
    Pacers-Pistons

Those are the only two matchups I think you could consider as Pacers' rivalries.

That said, I agree with what Booger had to say about the Benjamins.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what Mark and Slick said (the game was not on TV anywhere) the Pacers at Cleveland game last March was one of the best games of the season.

And then you add in the Artest vs Lebron matchup and I can see how the pacers and Cavs have a rivalry

I was there...it was a great game (but a bad finish).