Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wells is talking Ty Lawson today in the blog...

Default Wells is talking Ty Lawson today in the blog...

I'm sure that Seth's head will explode if we do this trade because I'm sure he will point out that last season we could have Just used the pick to take Lawson and used the pick this year to get a more athletic power forward.

Oh well, if this trade does go down I don't think I will be upset. We need a point guard in the worst of ways and we are not going to get a better one in this draft where we are pick from anyway.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...urbs_here.html

THE `BURBS - Here's an interesting item Chad Ford wrote in his blog Monday.

"A number of NBA sources are telling me that the Denver Nuggets are in the hunt for a Top 10 pick. Nuggets GM Mark Warkentein has been calling around trying to gauge interest in teams selling the pick. According to sources Warkentein is offering Ty Lawson for the pick."

The Pacers are interested in Lawson, according to a source.

The Pacers are willing to give up their pick - No. 10 - in next week's draft to get player that will help them immediately.

The Pacers wouldn't be searching for a point guard if they had taken Lawson instead of Tyler Hansbrough last year. Lawson, who was the Pacers' second option, averaged 8.3 points and 3.1 assists last season.

Lawson, Jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague, Darren Collison and Eric Maynor were all still available when the Pacers picked at No. 13.

Speaking of Collison, the Pacers have reached out to New Orleans about the former UCLA point guard.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wells is talking Ty Lawson today in the blog...

I'd do Lawson for our pick, I think he's better than who we'll have available to draft... also trading a number 10 pick for a guy we should have drafted at 13 really isn't so bad, especially since he proved that he's got some game at Denver and got a year under Chauncey to learn.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

if its straight up - then one can say that we drafted Ty last year and with the 10th pick we got Hansbro...

Peck-

Just to play devil's odvocate for a moment, how do you know that
    'we can't get a better PG where we're drafting' ?

I assume that's based on the either the existing consensus that Wall
    aside, the PGs in this draft would be a reach at #10 or you own analysis
    of them or a combo of both.

But didn't 'the consensus' tell us last year that all the PG's that went
    after our pick at #13 would have been reaches there too ?

My point is (and again, I'm just tossing it out), we don't really know
    that a Bledsoe or a Bradley or ever a Johnson or a Torrance isn't
    worth taking at #10. We just think we know that.

For all we know, we'll look back a year from now and view one or more
    of those guys the same we we now see Lawson, Collison and Holiday.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hillman's 'Fro' For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

FG%: .515
    3P%: .410
    A/TO: 2.46

It's good to see the great efficiency which made Ty the best guard in college basketball two seasons ago has carried over to the NBA. I'd love to see arguably the best NCAA duo of this generation reunited on the Pacers. I think the chemistry would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Lance George; 06-15-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FG%: .515
    3P%: .410
    A/TO: 2.46

It's good to see the great efficiency which made Ty the best guard in college basketball two seasons ago has carried over to the NBA. I'd love to see arguably the best NCAA duo of this generation reunited on the Pacers. I think the chemistry would be fantastic.
    Yep, Sean May and Raymond Felton really tore it up in Charlotte with their great chemistry, and in front of local Tar Heel fans!

In all seriousness, I'd rather go in a different direction. If we are dangling the 10th pick for one of these supposedly available point guards, I'd rather make a run at Darren Collison.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

May's career was ruined by his poor work ethic and Felton was never anywhere near the player that Lawson is.
    Last edited by Lance George; 06-15-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    Peck-

Just to play devil's odvocate for a moment, how do you know that
    'we can't get a better PG where we're drafting' ?

I assume that's based on the either the existing consensus that Wall
    aside, the PGs in this draft would be a reach at #10 or you own analysis
    of them or a combo of both.

But didn't 'the consensus' tell us last year that all the PG's that went
    after our pick at #13 would have been reaches there too ?

My point is (and again, I'm just tossing it out), we don't really know
    that a Bledsoe or a Bradley or ever a Johnson or a Torrance isn't
    worth taking at #10. We just think we know that.

For all we know, we'll look back a year from now and view one or more
    of those guys the same we we now see Lawson, Collison and Holiday.

After reading the thread, I was going to respond, but you said everything better than I could have. Great post post!

Ty Lawson reminds me of Jameer Nelson. If that is how he projects, then sign me up.

I just don't see Lawson as the kind of Starting PG we need, great at taking it to the rim over bigger players, but I didn't any indication that he could run a team last season.

While Darren Collison on the other hand looks absolutely like a real PG.

Last edited by graphic-er; 06-15-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: highlight video added

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll take Ty Lawson. I also wouldn't look back.
    Same goes for Collison.

Last edited by tsm612; 06-15-2010 at 09:04 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

Take it and run Bird! It fills a gaping hole and he can come in and immediately start over TJ. TJ can back him up until AJ is healthy and then TJ can go right back to the bench!

The guy kept improving in college, he was efficient when he played this year, and learned under a really good vet out in Denver. We are not going to get anyone who can come in and make an immediate impact on this team at 10 like Ty could.

Do it Bird and never look back!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yep, Sean May and Raymond Felton really tore it up in Charlotte with their great chemistry, and in front of local Tar Heel fans!

In all seriousness, I'd rather go in a different direction. If we are dangling the 10th pick for one of these supposedly available point guards, I'd rather make a run at Darren Collison.
    In the News Feed......it does mention that the Pacers have contacted the Hornets about Collison.

I'm guessing that #10 or BRush would be a starting point....with the price possibly be to take on Posey....but IMHO all the way up to taking on Okafor as well.

Given the likelihood that there will be a price attached to acquiring him....how much are you willing to pay to get Collison?

I'd possibly consider Posey+Collison for Foster+Solo+10....but I'm guessing that the Hornets are going to be pushing for Okafor+Collison for #10+Murphy. Someone would have to confirm for me....but Okafor maybe a solid Low-Post defender....but he's not the type of Big Man that is mobile/athletic enough to guard the quicker more mobile Stretch PFs that Hibbert can't guard. This coupled with his contract is a deal breaker for me. Okafor maybe a better fit next to Hansbrough...but not Hibbert.

To me, the price to acquire Collison is too high.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'd pay quite a bit for Collison, dude is a real NBA point guard. Ty Lawson might be a nice consolation prize, but he reminds me too much of a Nate Robinson type player. Which means not a starting PG. Just cause you dunk over big guys does not mean you are a real PG.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'd pay quite a bit for Collison, dude is a real NBA point guard. Ty Lawson might be a nice consolation prize, but he reminds me too much of a Nate Robinson type player. Which means not a starting PG. Just cause you dunk over big guys does not mean you are a real PG.
    How about the 6 assists in his 25 minute debut?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Lawson was the Starting PG that helped lead the 2009 NCAA Championship Team and was a Rookie PG that was stuck behind a veteran PG on a Nuggets roster that was gunning for a Playoff spot.

I admit that I haven't seen that many games where Lawson started, but I don't get the sense that he's a "shoot first, pass second" PG that Robinson is. Nate Robinson is a SG in a PGs body. IMHO....everything that I have read about Lawson does not suggest that he's anything near the type of Guard that Robinson is.

Please clarify for me why he does not seem like a Starting PG to you.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm sure that Seth's head will explode if we do this trade because I'm sure he will point out that last season we could have Just used the pick to take Lawson and used the pick this year to get a more athletic power forward.

Oh well, if this trade does go down I don't think I will be upset. We need a point guard in the worst of ways and we are not going to get a better one in this draft where we are pick from anyway.
    I'll admit that I can't disagree with Seth on this one. I easily would easily love to have drafted Lawson last season and then draft Udoh this season instead of drafting Hansbrough last season and then essentially trading #10 for Lawson.

But the reality is that what's done is done....it maybe easy to cry over spilled milk on this one....but there's nothing we can do about it.

If this rumor is legit.....those that don't like it....get ready to be disappointed. If Bird really did want Hansbrough and Lawson last season and he has the opportunity to get him this season....he's going to pull the trigger unless something better comes along on June 24th.

I guess the silver lining is that if this is legit......the asking price for #10 is more then a Prospect PG. I wonder what the Spurs could offer that would make Bird blink
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-15-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Lawson was the Starting PG that helped lead the 2009 NCAA Championship Team and was a Rookie PG that was stuck behind a veteran PG on a Nuggets roster that was gunning for a Playoff spot.

I admit that I haven't seen that many games where Lawson started, but I don't get the sense that he's a "shoot first, pass second" PG that Robinson is. Nate Robinson is a SG in a PGs body. IMHO....everything that I have read about Lawson does not suggest that he's anything near the type of Guard that Robinson is.

Please clarify for me why he does not seem like a Starting PG to you.
    Because in the games I've watched of him at Denver last year, it seems like his first instinct is to drive to the rim, many times the offense never actually gets going with him on the floor. HE gets going (just like Nate Robinson). Certainly he has got talent to be a really good player in the league.

Those videos that tsm612 posted is good sampling of what he could be a regular basis in the future, he had alot nice kick outs and laying it off to open players under the basket, but he also had plays where is just went to the rim no matter what the situation. A guy who is 5'11" shouldn't be trying to go over 2 defenders.

Again he is intriguing, has lot of speed, shows a nice game. We could do alot worse, but if I were to choose between the 2 I'd go for Collison.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Bird wanted Lawson, supposedly, at 17 (Hibbert's slot) two years ago, then Ty got a DUI and pulled out of the draft.

I'd guess unless the Pacers have a larger deal in place than the 10 for Lawson, Bird would do this in a heart beat.

Because in the games I've watched of him at Denver last year, it seems like his first instinct is to drive to the rim, many times the offense never actually gets going with him on the floor. HE gets going (just like Nate Robinson). Certainly he has got talent to be a really good player in the league.

Those videos that tsm612 posted is good sampling of what he could be a regular basis in the future, he had alot nice kick outs and laying it off to open players under the basket, but he also had plays where is just went to the rim no matter what the situation. A guy who is 5'11" shouldn't be trying to go over 2 defenders.

Again he is intriguing, has lot of speed, shows a nice game. We could do alot worse, but if I were to choose between the 2 I'd go for Collison.
    I think I'd prefer Collison as well, but I would be absolutely thrilled with either.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'll admit that I can't disagree with Seth on this one. I easily would easily love to have drafted Lawson last season and then draft Udoh this season instead of drafting Hansbrough last season and then essentially trading #10 for Lawson.

But the reality is that what's done is done....it maybe easy to cry over spilled milk on this one....but there's nothing we can do about it.

If this rumor is legit.....those that don't like it....get ready to be disappointed. If Bird really did want Hansbrough and Lawson last season and he has the opportunity to get him this season....he's going to pull the trigger unless something better comes along on June 24th.
    I agree, I don't care if we could have drafted him last year. Bringing in a good players is all thats important. Doesn't matter how we get them. Heck I like picking up a 2nd year player that proved his worth his rookie season.

Can the guy play defense at his size? He is good athlete. Should be able to stay in front of bigger PGs with all his strength.

Lawson's 2010 numbers projected to 35 minutes...
    14.3 ppg
    5.3 apg
    3.3 rpg

Collison's 2010 numbers projected to 35 minutes...
    15.6 ppg
    7.2 apg
    3.1 rpg

Collison has the edge over Lawson in terms of pure numbers, but it would probably cost more to get him. Lawson is the guy I was hoping the Pacers would take last year so I would be happy to have him, but I'm not sure it's worth missing the opportunity to take a legitimately athletic PF at #10.

I might feel better about it if the Nuggets had a late first round pick to include in a Lawson trade, but they don't, which means the Pacers would have no first rounders this year. I don't know if that's a good idea for a rebuilding franchise.

I'll say this... I don't envy Bird's position right now. This is going to be a tough draft/free agency period to sort out.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Collison has the edge over Lawson in terms of pure numbers, but it would probably cost more to get him. Lawson is the guy I was hoping the Pacers would take last year so I would be happy to have him, but I'm not sure it's worth missing the opportunity to take a legitimately athletic PF at #10.

I might feel better about it if the Nuggets had a late first round pick to include in a Lawson trade, but they don't, which means the Pacers would have no first rounders this year. I don't know if that's a good idea for a rebuilding franchise.

I'll say this... I don't envy Bird's position right now. This is going to be a tough draft/free agency period to sort out.
    What happened to McRoberts?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post: