Thread: Shamsports

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Shamsports

First off I have to give credit where credit is due. I saw this is my newest issue of dime magazine.

I am not sure how accurate this site is, but it reminds me of hoops hype

Here is the link for their salary page for the Pacers:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ies/pacers.jsp

The home page for the site is: http://www.shamsports.com

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Shamsports

Sham does an excellent job tracking these things down. I hve been going there for a few years now. It is the most accurate site for salary information for the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First off I have to give credit where credit is due. I saw this is my newest issue of dime magazine.

I am not sure how accurate this site is, but it reminds me of hoops hype

Here is the link for their salary page for the Pacers:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ies/pacers.jsp

The home page for the site is: http://www.shamsports.com
    Sham is better than Hoopshype. I used to keep my own salary chart because I didn't like the ones out there, but now I just use Sham.

I've been told that Sham and ESPN Trade Machine are the two most accurate and reliable sites. Through different means, they basically have direct access to the contract information itself.

There is an occasional mistake related to whether something is an option or not, but otherwise Sham has proven to be eminently reliable. I never look at Hoopshype any more, unless Sham hasn't gotten the contract info yet. (Hoopshype will estimate, while Sham will not.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Very cool.

I figured they had to have been around for a while, but I had never heard of them.

I often wonder if these sites are run via fans like you and I, or if they have contacts like agents or GM's.

Either way a very cool site.

Call me retarded, but does that mean Indiana "technically" have a $18MIL "expiring" contract in Rik Smits? Also, how the heck does that happen where we got this much money tied up in a player who hasn't played since the Finals? No wonder Indiana can't sign any big free agents.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 06-11-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Mood

Its a cap hold. It means that we have 18M "earmarked" for Rik Smits. This is only because he never retired with the league and it is based off of his final year salary going forward. We just have to waive his Bird Rights every summer until he officially retires. It doesn't effect anything really. It's kind of like holding a player's restriction on free agency when they go to Europe. Whenever they come back, the team still holds their rights to said player.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Oh and another GREAT website for people interested in reading about the NBA CBA....

Larry Coon's website

He breaks down the interpretations of the actual CBA and simplifies it. Excellent read if you care enough about it to read it. Not the most exciting stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its a cap hold. It means that we have 18M "earmarked" for Rik Smits. This is only because he never retired with the league and it is based off of his final year salary going forward. We just have to waive his Bird Rights every summer until he officially retires. It doesn't effect anything really. It's kind of like holding a player's restriction on free agency when they go to Europe. Whenever they come back, the team still holds their rights to said player.
    So the money is there and not there to use at the same time? If we "waived" Rik Smits, then Indiana could resign a different player with the "earmark" amount? The "cap" prevents Indiana from "re-signing" him for more than the $18MIL? Wow, that sounds more confusing then college chemistry. Sorry to sound like an airhead about this. My mind is having a hard time grasping this topic.

Mood

Yeah... in a sense you are right.

Let's look at DWade for a second. His "cap hold" for the Heat is the maximum amount of money they can pay him as a free agent next year, or $16,568,908, based on the terms of the CBA of 105% of previous year's salary. This money is basically "earmarked" for the payment of DWade for next year. It counts against their cap space until DWade makes a decision to sign or leave, or the Heat rescind their rights to be able to sign him with preferential treatment. (Bird Rights are more applicable to being over the cap threshold, but I am just trying to keep this basic). The big thing with Bird Rights is that a team that is already over the cap can sign their own player because of that cap hold.

There are stipulations in the CBA that allow a team to sign a player up to certain terms, like the Heat can sign Wade as a free agent for a 6 year deal. They can only extend him for 5, which is basically 6 years given that the extension would happen prior to his last year of his current deal. The Heat can also give Wade 10.5% raises if he meets certain guidelines as well. Other teams can only offer 5 years and 8% raises.

As for the cap holds, the Heat will probably rescind all of their rights/cap holds to every player they have except Wade. They are going to have trouble bringing back Haslem for less money than he can earn elsewhere, because they will rescind their rights to him in order to sign a bigger free agent like Bosh. By rescinding those players rights, their signed players for next year will make $10,604,681 plus whatever their draft picks make... so call it $13,000,000. The cap threshold will be around $55M. That is roughly $42M in cap space, without Wade's cap hold. Add in the $16.5M for Wade's cap hold (and eventual salary), and their actual cap space is $25.5 to sign eight players with. If they grab Bosh at about $16.5M that is roughly $9M left to sign seven players. Unless Haslem wants to take a pay cut to stick around, he won't be with the Heat next year.

I don't know if I just made things more or less confusing. Hope this helps. Tried to keep it pretty basic but its not that simple.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 06-11-2010 at 10:28 AM.