Thread: When it rains, it pours

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default When it rains, it pours

I found out this afternoon that my start date for my new job will be pushed back because the company is missing paperwork.

Then I walk out to my car, and I see someone has broken in to it last night. The weird thing is I have a Subaru, and I can not open the door without the remote. If I just put the key in to open the car, the alarm goes off. So someone either has a generic remote or has a lot of knowledge about these cars.

The person took two pairs of Oakleys I had in my trunk and a bunch of blank CD's (40-50) but left a knockoff pair of raybans I had in the glove compartment.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: When it rains, it pours

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

What a week. I just walked outside and someone tried to steal the sticker off of my parents car. The one that goes on the license plates.

Luckily they only got half of it off, but man this is nuts.

And another neighbor had her car stolen on memorial day

Mood

That sucks; sorry to hear it, man. I don't know how I'd react if my car got broken into. Luckily where I live it's not common, but I hear about this from time to time from other people and I don't know how I could deal with that moving forward unless I had a garage to park in.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a week. I just walked outside and someone tried to steal the sticker off of my parents car. The one that goes on the license plates.

Luckily they only got half of it off, but man this is nuts.
    That's messed up. Wow.

Yeah. Luckily my parents are letting me use the garage, but the crazy thing is we never have had problems in our neighborhood in the past.

Mood

I'd be tempted to get some kind of motion camera going at this point if I were to you. [/half-serious]

I am not sure how many of you have cars that can do this, but the police officer I spoke to was saying if you have one of the newer cars where you can program your garage door opener into your car, you may want to think twice before you do that.

Apparently a lot of thief's are breaking into cars and are looking for these programmed remotes that are built into the car or are looking for garage door openers.

They actually just posted a memo on our police website on Monday reminded all residents to lock the inside garage door (the door in the house lading to the garage)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'd be tempted to get some kind of motion camera going at this point if I were to you. [/half-serious]
    We actually have some from a few years ago where some of the high school kids were smoking pot in our back yard while skipping school.

I think I may install them again tomorrow.

Mood

I am not sure how many of you have cars that can do this, but the police officer I spoke to was saying if you have one of the newer cars where you can program your garage door opener into your car, you may want to think twice before you do that.

Apparently a lot of thief's are breaking into cars and are looking for these programmed remotes that are built into the car or are looking for garage door openers.

They actually just posted a memo on our police website on Monday reminded all residents to lock the inside garage door (the door in the house lading to the garage)
    A very good point. If/when I have an automatic garage door again, I wonder if they sell remotes that go on your keychain? Surely they do?

Crap! I never thought of this. My parents have auto garage doors, and one would only need to break into their car to gain access to the house. . . eeep.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

N8R

Yeah, I never thought of it before the officer mentioned it.

Technology can be great, but it can be scary at times as well.

Sorry to hear that VA. Our car got stolen once. The police called and asked if we knew where our car was. We looked outside and it was gone. They found it a few blocks away. The crazy thing was, you could start it without the key. They tore the steering column apart to start it. We think it had to do with us leaving our apartment early due to mold problems. It was never the same after that.

Sorry buddy. I have never had a car stolen but i have had my vandalized. Now not to sound whatever but my parents live in a good neighbourhood in the best side of town where you dont really have problems but this one night someone (I assume and blame teenagers) ripped out a no parking sign and smashed my windshield leaving a dent and scratch on the hood of my SUV. I had to pay almost $400 to replace that windshield which is total crap. They also threw a rock through the back window of my dad's SUV but his was covered under the insurance.

Since that time nothing has happened here. I never worry about break ins or anything in our neighbourhood or while I am out and about. I guess living in Canada you don't really have that fear too much, unless you live in a big city. One of my uncles lives in a small town and he will sometimes leave the keys to his truck in his truck unlocked because there is NO crime in the area, and if there was, everyone would know who it was and they would be found a few months later at the bottom of the lake.

I also try to not keep anything too expensive in my vehicles. The most someone would get is a few CD's and a pair of sunglasses or a factory stereo. We just don't have that fear, but I would like to have cameras for those times that it does happen so I can hunt down and slaughter the people or at least set them on fire.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

sorry to hear that...
    i had my car broken into on new years night. When I went to the car on 2nd of january i noticed a lot of papers were around the seats and my old mp3 player that was in the glove compartment gone...luckily they didn't try to steal the car - it looked more like they looked to see what was inside it...and for this reason i never really kept anything worthwhile in the car.

When it happened - i had not really processed it...but then thinking that some ****hole is going through your car, and looking through everything...it just creeps me out a bit and makes me feel violated.

I try never to keep anything in my car, normally I have m portable GPS and my sunglasses.

The one time I had a brain-fart and left some of my stuff in my trunk because I was going on vacation (I meant to move it in the house but I had a 6AM flight and forgot to take the stuff out before I left) someone gets it.

Murphy's law I guess.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Never had my cars broken into.

I've been lucky.

Had my game boy stolen when I was probably about 6 at a local McDonald's...****ers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry to hear that. I never had my car broken into either, but one of my old friends from college had his broken into. I learned from that to never leave anything of value in your car that can be seen. He has his ipod, bose head phones, and some other electronics just sitting in his seat. He got home late, was lazy, and just grabbed his wallet and walked. Next morning his side window smashed and all the stuff was gone.

My parents had their window smashed for no reason a few years back up on 86th street by 465. I think some kids just wanted to have some fun that night.

There is just something about thieves/vandals that make me want the cruelest punishment handed out to them.

Yeah vandalism to personal property always makes me very angry. I have had my windshield smashed like I mentioned, my SUV shot up with paintballs as well as parts of the house and we had our stuff egged all in the course of about 3 or 4 weeks. (except the smashed windows, they were a year or more later). Started to make me feel like someone was after me. I had just come back into town and it all started up.

I used to cause troubles sure, but NEVER on personal property. Never once touched a car, or a house in a permanent way. Worst I did was honk a horn at a house while driving by. Other than that it was just messing around with my own stuff, friends stuff or general good times.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Just walked out to my car, and saw my gas tank open.

Someone poped the little protective case and cyphered gas out of my car last night.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Just walked out to my car, and saw my gas tank open.

Someone poped the little protective case and cyphered gas out of my car last night.

Must've been Jethro Bodean. He was always good at cypherin'...

I'm surprised they didn't just siphon the gas out...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Thanks BBall

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

I had my rod 85 Cutlass stolen once. A couple teenages waiting at a bus stop watched me jump out to get a newspaper and I turned around to see them driving off. I did get the car back a few days later with everything intact except a nice dent in the passenger fender. I also had my daily driver broken into at work in the employee parking lot. They ransacked the car and took my meter coins (6.00 in quarters). It was amazing that none of the security people were able to catch it from the ten video cameras in the parking lot.