Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who among us has yet to be excited by any of the trade rumors?

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Who among us has yet to be excited by any of the trade rumors?

The more I think about each deal, none of them really get me excited--at least the one's that aren't totally off-the-wall or one-sided in the Pacers favor. What are the odds that TPTB do not complete any trades?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned

Default Re: Who among us has yet to be excited by any of the trade rumors?

I wouldn't say that any of the trade offers has me freaking out, but it is exciting to see the Pacers back in the minds of the national media.

Even if it's just a little bit. I'm tired of this franchise being completely Jim O'Brien-irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's nice to know that TPTB are pursuing all avenues to improve the team.

Of course, we all have our own thoughts as to what to do with the picks and we'll have know clue as to what they really are thinking of doing until it's done.

The buzz keeping interest in the team among the avid fans... it'll be interesting to see how the draft events will affect the non-avid fans: it prolly won't be noticed for months or years in regards to ticket sales unless this team gets better.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the idea of pursuing a pick that could land Evan Turner.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I guess I would say the rumor of Tony Parker was the one that got me the most excited. But rumors are just that, rumors. Parker I think would go well with our current style of play, which I am not the biggest fan of. But he would give us a PG who could pentrate and kick the ball to open perimeter shots. He also brings championship pedigree. We would have to be able to lock him up in an extension for it to make sense. With all that said, I just don't see it happening, I doubt he wants to come to Indy and I doubt this franchise can make a deal like that happen.

The other rumors have been so so, nothing that really gets me excited. Though if we could get Collison some how from NO that would be a great deal I think, depending on what we have to give up to get him. He could be the long term solution at the point.

The next few weeks leading up to the draft we will be hearing more I am sure. My hope is that we are able to pull off something to bring in a vet that can help lead this team and push us into the playoffs. I think a vet PG is the way to do it. Only time will tell and it is getting close.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are the odds that TPTB do not complete any trades?
    Before the draft, 98.6%. During the draft night, 64%, after the draft before camp, 84.637% after the draft til mid July, rising to 93.2% by mid September, and then 100% until January 28, 2011. BTW, I used a random number generator (my own addled brain) to arrive at these figures.

After that, it is anybody's guess because we really don't know what the intent of the franchise is going forward, and whether O'B will still be coaching then.

Overall, I still think we are letting our expirings expire unless the deal is just too good to possibly pass up due to the financial considerations facing the franchise.
    Last edited by Brad8888; 06-08-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Because I could.

Evan Turner excites me to no end. I don't care about Brand's contract, I'd gladly go into LT territory for Turner. It'd be an investment in the franchise's future, one with a pretty nice rate of return as I see it.

However, I know there's no chance in hell it'll happen, so no, I guess I'm not very excited.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Evan Turner excites me to no end. I don't care about Brand's contract, I'd gladly go into LT territory for Turner. It'd be an investment in the franchise's future, one with a pretty nice rate of return as I see it.

However, I know there's no chance in hell it'll happen, so no, I guess I'm not very excited.
    If it does happen, will you no longer be a Dark Sider?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Before the draft, 98.6%. During the draft night, 64%, after the draft before camp, 84.637% after the draft til mid July, rising to 93.2% by mid September, and then 100% until January 28, 2011. BTW, I used a random number generator (my own addled brain) to arrive at these figures.

After that, it is anybody's guess because we really don't know what the intent of the franchise is going forward, and whether O'B will still be coaching then.

Overall, I still think we are letting our expirings expire unless the deal is just too good to possibly pass up due to the financial considerations facing the franchise.
    You may very well be right, but I'd just remind you, Stanko was a trade. So I think it's very possible we will perform some kind of trade in the next 8 months. Doesn't mean it'll mean anything worthwhile.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

If you want to get excited, here's what I heard:

I heard we are sending Granger and Murphy out in a sign-and-trade for Lebron James.

I heard this in my head. The voice tells me to do things. Wonderful things. Terrible things.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I like the idea of pursuing a pick that could land Evan Turner.
    This, and only this got me excited about the team this off season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitman02 For This Useful Post:

We could take on Brand and not even sniff LT territory (assuming Troy, #10, and filler is sent back to Philly). We would only have Brand, Danny, #2, & rookie contracts on our books next year totaling around $42M. That is still enough under the cap to get a decent FA, use the MLE, and be below the LT. Brand would clear off about the time all the rookie contracts need extending.

Bird/Simon would be fools not to take that deal. We need a franchise player and I highly doubt we land one in FA. Our only other hope would be to trade expirings and assets at the TDL. And even in that scenario, you have to find a team wanting to dump an all-star type talent.

I personally think Favors could a top 10 player in this league. If we got #2 and NJ had interest in Turner, I'd flip it to NJ for Favors and a young player like Lee. We could use that sweetner (Lee) to go after a PG.

lol of course we are, especially after watching JOB single handedly do everything wrong during the season.

im excited for a fresh start!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm expecting a draft night trade involving our pick and a player for maybe a PG from another team and maybe another player or their pick.

I guess you can count me in as not excited. I haven't seen anything that makes me feel that any of the proposed moves would put us over the hump anytime soon and I think these moves would keep the Pacers in lottery land/early playoff exit status for even longer.

Okafor/Collison rumor
    Emeka Okafor: Meh. He hasn't really helped his teams all that much. Charlotte improved after he left. New Orleans was struggling this year even before Chris Paul was injured.
    Darren Collison: I think he can be a nice player, but I am more than hesitant to take on Okafor's contract.

Brand/Turner Rumor
    Elton Brand: He is toast. Why tie up that money after you have waited this long?
    Evan Turner: I really like him but his turnover rate actually really scares me to mortgage the future on him. That was likely partially a function of carrying too much of the load at OSU, but that still scares me.

Tony Parker: Sounds promising if you can sign him long term, but I have a feeling that his skills are optimized under Popovich. I guess one year under Obie wouldn't make that a bad deal if we make a good coaching hire in 2011. Still, I just have the feeling that San Antonio would almost always get the better end of a deal with the Pacers, and that we would have to overpay to get him here and overpay Parker to keep him long term. He is looking for a max contract after next season. Can he be THE number one guy?

Monta Ellis: I would love to have him if he could play the 2009-2010 Pacers every night. He needs the ball in his hands and I am not sure I really would enjoy that brand of basketball long term. With Allen Iverson in his prime? Yes. With Monta Ellis? No.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kraut N Beer For This Useful Post:

i'm excited about pacers basketball in general.

go pacers!
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

ME! I simply don't get excited about Internet rumors anymore. A good portion of them are just made up, so I don't give any of them credence.

What's more even if you get someone you think is good . . . they can turn out to be Cabbage.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

I'd gladly go into LT territory for Turner.
    Easy to say when it's not your money.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to WoodyHayes78 For This Useful Post:

Not necessarily a specific rumor, but I'm excited about ALL the rumors, for the simple fact that it means we're looking into what moves we can make.

Of course none of these mean a thing, and we may still be the same team next year, but we're looking to make changes.

I think the biggest rumor for me is those thinking we aren't going to keep the #10 pick

If Elton Brand plays against Troy Murphy every night he'll have a lot left in the tank

woman without a team

You may very well be right, but I'd just remind you, Stanko was a trade. So I think it's very possible we will perform some kind of trade in the next 8 months. Doesn't mean it'll mean anything worthwhile.
    I thought for sure this would rate a StankoLover sighting. I'm so disappinted.

Sports Logo

Am I excited about these rumors? Not really.....

But to tell you the truth....it's the only thing that is keeping me from getting extremely bored during this long and boring Offseason. The rumors maybe nothing more than 2nd hand guesses......but at least we have something to talk about for the next 2 weeks until the draft.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I'm at least willing to consider the Collison/ Okafor and Brand/#2 proposals.

The Parker idea is terrifying to me. For real. Indiana is just not ready to make a move in the playoffs, and Parker would not change that. This is the type of deal a playoff team pulls when we've "just 1 piece away" from making a playoff run. We will either give up other key pieces and dramatically overpay Parker to keep him or give up key pieces and lose him. Neither will take us anywhere. You pick which is the "good" outcome.

Trading for a young, promising PG to grow with our key young players makes sense for where our team is right now. If that option isn't available, picking up someone like Udoh, Monroe, Davis, or George (one or more will be at #10) and trying to acquire and additional (mid to late)1st round pick to grab Armon Johnson or Bledsoe sounds more appealing to me. I'd target Varnardo or Vasquez at #40. I might even try for a late 1st round pick (move up from #40) for Vasquez because Price is hurt. So I guess I feel better about the draft than some of the trade options. I think some of us are fantasizing about a big home run trade when the bases are empty. We're just not in a position to trade for a star right now. If we do we won't be going anywhere fast.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

I'm very excited about next year. Summer of 2011 should be a great offseason for the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I'm at least willing to consider the Collison/ Okafor and Brand/#2 proposals.

The Parker idea is terrifying to me. For real. Indiana is just not ready to make a move in the playoffs, and Parker would not change that. This is the type of deal a playoff team pulls when we've "just 1 piece away" from making a playoff run. We will either give up other key pieces and dramatically overpay Parker to keep him or give up key pieces and lose him. Neither will take us anywhere. You pick which is the "good" outcome.

Trading for a young, promising PG to grow with our key young players makes sense for where our team is right now. If that option isn't available, picking up someone like Udoh, Monroe, Davis, or George (one or more will be at #10) and trying to acquire and additional (mid to late)1st round pick to grab Armon Johnson or Bledsoe sounds more appealing to me. I'd target Varnardo or Vasquez at #40. I might even try for a late 1st round pick (move up from #40) for Vasquez because Price is hurt. So I guess I feel better about the draft than some of the trade options. I think some of us are fantasizing about a big home run trade when the bases are empty. We're just not in a position to trade for a star right now. If we do we won't be going anywhere fast.

Why waste a late 1st on Vasquez? It would be easier for the Pacers to acquire an earlier 2nd round pick to get him. I'm an advocate of getting an earlier 2nd round pick for someone like Jordan, Robinson, Vasquez, Torrance, Garcia.