Thread: Aaron Rodgers slams Tony Kornheiser and other ESPN employees

Default Aaron Rodgers slams Tony Kornheiser and other ESPN employees

I thought it was rather funny myself he probably doesn't care for Tony's Favrecrush

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-and-terrible/

Aaron Rodgers calls Tony Kornheiser "stupid," "dumb" and "terrible"
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 8, 2010 10:52 AM ET
    In 2008, when Tony Kornheiser was a Monday Night Football commentator for ESPN, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers once sat down with him for a pre-game production meeting.

It would be an extreme understatement to say that Rodgers came away unimpressed.

In an interview with ESPN Radio in Milwaukee, Rodgers went off on Kornheiser and said he was embarrassingly unprepared for his job.

"You know who was better than Tony Kornheiser? Dennis Miller was ten times better," Rodgers said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Dennis Miller was a great comedian, but one of the worst Monday Night Football guys ever. And he was ten times better than Tony Kornheiser. His stuff was actually funny. Tony wasn't funny at all. He did absolutely no research. We'd sit in those production meetings and he would add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I'd be like, 'What are we doing here? This is stupid.'"

Rodgers praised Monday Night Football play-by-play man Mike Tirico as coming into production meetings thoroughly prepared. Kornheiser? Not so much.

"You get in there with Tony and he's asking you all these dumb questions that have no application to the game you are playing or anything you are doing," Rodgers said. "He's terrible. . . . I don't think he's funny. I don't think he's insightful. I don't think knows, really, anything about sports."

Most football fans regard Ron Jaworski as one of the top analysts in the business, but Rodgers isn't particularly thrilled with Jaworski, either.

"I like him, but, when I was coming out, he did the worst segment in the history of TV about me talking about my fundamentals," Rodgers said of Jaworski. "It was not even close to anywhere near my fundamentals. The first time I met him, someone introduced me to him and I said, 'Yeah I know him. He's the guy who ripped me before the draft.' The rest of the night he told me how great I was. I was like, 'I know your song and dance.' And now he loves me."

The whole interview, in which Rodgers criticized other ESPN employees and took a shot at the Detroit Lions, is well worth listening to. Rodgers comes across as an entertaining and engaging player who's not afraid to speak his mind. When he retires, he'd be perfect for the Monday Night Football booth. Or as co-host of Pardon the Interruption.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Aaron Rodgers slams Tony Kornheiser and other ESPN employees

LOL. A-RODGE is pretty funny.

I don't think A-RODGE will be getting 5 good minutes on PTI anytime next season. Kornheiser is notorious for not responding well to criticism - let alone someone saying he flat out stinks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...not-the-first/

Kornheiser reacts: If Rodgers thinks I'm no good, he's not the first
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2010 7:25 AM ET
    ESPN commentator Tony Kornheiser has offered a lighthearted response to Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who called Kornheiser stupid, dumb and terrible in a radio interview, saying he doesn't know why Rodgers had such a harsh reaction to their meetings when Kornheiser called Rodgers' games on Monday Night Football.

"My guess is that his comments had to do with the fact that during his first season, I was publicly critical of the Packers, which had a 13-3 team, and got rid of [Brett] Favre for an untested player," Kornheiser told The Big Lead. "[Ron Jaworski] and I went back and forth on this 1,000 times on TV and with [Mike] Wilbon 1,000 times on TV. But if he thinks I'm no good, he wouldn't be the first. Or the last."

Kornheiser worked on Monday Night Football in 2008, when Rodgers was in his first year as the Packers' starter. He says he doesn't specifically recall what he and Rodgers talked about in production meetings, when Rodgers said Kornheiser was woefully unprepared, but he does say that he was simply trying to get an idea of how Rodgers was handling the rough task of filling Favre's shoes.

"I don't remember anything particular from the meetings, but I do remember that Jaws went in purely looking for football stuff, Mike [Tirico] was looking for stuff from the announcing angle, and I went looking more for feature-y things or stories," Kornhesier said. "In that case, the theme was taking over for Brett Favre, which was the toughest thing to do in Green Bay. My guess is that I asked a lot of questions relative to that, and tried to establish some rapport with that. I guess that rapport didn't exist."

By looking for "more feature-y things," Kornheiser was just doing his job in the Monday Night Football booth. But Kornheiser's problem was that he not only couldn't establish a rapport with Rodgers, he also couldn't establish a rapport with viewers, who wanted to hear about football, not about "more feature-y things." Which is why ESPN was wise to replace Kornheiser with Jon Gruden.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...y-kornheiser/1

Packers' Aaron Rodgers regrets 'inappropriate setting' for critical comments about Tony Kornheiser
    08:04 AM

+ Yahoo! Buzz
    o Share
    DiggNewsvineReddit
    * Save
    * Print

Share0
    1 Comments

3 Recommend

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers apologized on Wednesday for the tone of his criticism of ESPN personalities Tony Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski earlier this week.

Rodgers, who said Kornheiser was "terrible" as a Monday Night Football analyst and was dismissive of Jaworski's job on the same telecast, said it was inappropriate of him to reveal his feelings on a local radio show.

He said, via the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

"Unfortunately the message of really in jest talking about that, it was probably inappropriate for that setting and I didn't mean to offend anybody personally.

"I have a lot of respect for those guys and what they do. It's something that I know is more difficult than it looks at times and I meant no personal disrespect to anybody and I apologize if any of them took offense to what I said. Unfortunately the translation is often lost when it's on radio, not on TV."

But Rodgers didn't back down when asked if he regretted making the statements entirely. He said:

"I regret that it was an inappropriate setting, I think, for those comments."

-- Sean Leahy