Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: college conference musical chairs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: college conference musical chairs

Does this mean the Big 10 is done expanding for now? 6 teams in each division?

I think/hope so. Missouri is commited to the Big 12 and have a bit bigger role there now. We could still raid the Big East, but with everyone else staying at 12, I don't think there's any need to start an arms race. In the grand scheme of things, Nebraska is a pretty substantial get, and we got the CCG (hopefully at Lucas), so it makes sense to call it a day.

I think Delaney said last week that they were done, and with everything simmering down, I'm thinking they'll stay with that.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think/hope so. Missouri is commited to the Big 12 and have a bit bigger role there now. We could still raid the Big East, but with everyone else staying at 12, I don't think there's any need to start an arms race. In the grand scheme of things, Nebraska is a pretty substantial get, and we got the CCG (hopefully at Lucas), so it makes sense to call it a day.

I think Delaney said last week that they were done, and with everything simmering down, I'm thinking they'll stay with that.
    I think they are done for this year. They will stay in pursuit of ND, they have to. They really want Rutgers too. I think they would have to grab two Big East teams before ND comes in fear of the Big East collapsing. Hopefully Pitt would be the other Big East team. And then to even things out I guess they would go after either Syracuse or Maryland.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd imagine their top 4 if they were ever to go to 16 teams is ND, Pitt, Cuse, and Rutgers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd imagine their top 4 if they were ever to go to 16 teams is ND, Pitt, Cuse, and Rutgers.
    Agreed. That would make the Big Ten a very good conference all around in multiple sports. Adding Pitt and Cuse would be a huge boost to basketball. If Brain Kelly gets ND back on track there is a top football program. Pitt puts together good football teams and so does Rutgers.

I just saw Joe Schad on ESPN and he said the offer is out there for ND to accept and its on their timetable now. He didn't say anything else about other teams. I think the Big Ten will be happy to enter with 12 teams.

So are the Big Ten and Big 12 switching names now or something? I mean you cant just do that because of all the history around the conferences. How are they going to fit a 12 to fit into the Big Ten logo instead of the 11?

Big 10s wishlist really looks like this:

1. ND - Obvious
    2. Rutgers - NY/NJ market
    3. Maryland - DC market
    4. Syracuse - Can get into the NY market

This expansion is solely about money from the Big 10 Network. They need to get into bigger markets than where they are now to charge cable companies more money to carry the channel. And don't believe the BS the cable company tells you about the Big 10 costing you, the consumer, so much more. The Big 10 charges cable companies ~1.50 per subscriber (hence why they want into bigger markets, more subscribers = bigtime dollars). The cable companies use it as an excuse to charge everyone an arm and a leg. "Never let a good crisis go to waste", as it were.

Also, those universities are all members of the AAU (except for Notre Dame, but their academics speak for themselves), which is very important to the Big 10. Moreso than anything sports related.

I love this. I have been reading everything I can lay my eyes on regarding this topic since it popped up in December. Not sure what it is, but I just find this whole thing fascinating.

I don't think that the Big 10 is done. Done for now (Nebraska was a huge coup), to be sure, but Delany has said that the expansion would/could happen in stages, and that's what is happening. The Big 10 got their 12th team and a conference championship, and that will be enough for now. The problem is that they haven't done anything to expand the reach of the BTN.

If Notre Dame decides to join, it will set into motion a 14th team joining (most likely Rutgers...I think Rutgers would die to get into the Big 10), as well. Only the Pac 10 going to 16 teams will trigger the Big 10 going to 16.

As for the name, it will either change to something with no number (like the Big East, SEC, etc), or will stay the Big 10. They'll ditch the clever number in the logo and just be the Big 10 no matter what. The name has been around too long to just throw away at this point, especially when it comes to renaming/rebranding the Big 10 Network.

EDIT: Also, someone mentioned Pitt. Pitt is probably on the list, but farther down. Pitt is a nice school, an AAU member, but Pittsburgh already has the Big Ten Network due to Penn State. Certainly not impossible, but I think their are other teams that the Big 10 would rather have.